Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

gently caress YEAH.

post pics post pics post pics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

apatite fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 16, 2016

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

LeeJam
Nov 24, 2009
That Allis-Chalmers WD is awesome! I hope you can get it running. If not, electric power might be the way to go.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Wow, I'm willing to bet that half-track will be worth its weight in copper!

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

You could build one hell of a battery pack frame on that AC chassis if that engine is hosed. Motor/tranny linkage would be dead simple too.

It won't be though. Those engines are tough as hell and can be brought back pretty readily. Just start soaking everything in penetrant or atf or something.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Keep on keepin on

macx
Feb 3, 2005

Chiming in to say I've really enjoyed this tread, and thanks for sharing!

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

apatite posted:

close your eyes and imagine there are pictures here

I see sunlight through trees, dogs, and fungus.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Everyone seems to be expecting another huge winter for the northeast.

I kinda hope it is.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

apatite fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 16, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Your dogs must have a blast all day every day. How often do they get ticks or other biting bugs, though?

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Your dogs must have a blast all day every day. How often do they get ticks or other biting bugs, though?

We use the K9 Advantix stuff, so basically never unless we forget to put it on them :)

That is not my arm

Back Yard Flowers

Today was one of those rare days I can actually get photos off of my phone

apatite fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 16, 2016

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Oh, you have touch-me-nots! I love those. Squeeze a few seed pods for me.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

I am out here squeezing my touch-me-not pods for you, but it is making me feel dirty.

Need to go back through pics, some are doubled but there have been tons of different fungi and those are just the ones I thought to take pictures of..

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

apatite posted:

As long as that means "10 feet of snow per day" and not "weeks of sustained subzero temps" like this year, I'm down like James Fuckin Brown

Seriously. I was getting sick of taking the trash out each night and having my beard and mustache freeze in the 30 seconds i was outside.

Saturniid19
Aug 1, 2006
brought to you by North Central Positronics

apatite posted:

Polyphemus or silk moth caterpillar (Lepidoptera)

This is actually a luna moth caterpillar! Polyphemus is much bigger, has a brown head and no stripe down the side. Still super cool!

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Saturniid19 posted:

This is actually a luna moth caterpillar! Polyphemus is much bigger, has a brown head and no stripe down the side. Still super cool!

Thanks, edited my post!

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

apatite posted:

Trying to cut down on propane usage from the fridge, we got this insulated military surplus stainless steel ice chest at a garage sale, it works really really well. 6 blocks of ice from the store lasted a week and a half and were still keeping things quite cold

Wow, nice!

I was watching a mini doc type thing on Youtube last year and there was a guy with an off-grid house who used a basic chest freezer as his fridge. He uses a thermostat (what I was assuming is a PID attached to an Arduino or something) to monitor the temp, with a relay to kick on when it gets too warm, and off before it crosses over into "freezer" territory. He claimed between that and the top loading design (lots of cold air just drops out of a conventional fridge/freezer when you open the door) it uses a tenth the electricity of a conventional fridge.

Found it (about 8 minutes in): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DSQ0W2lwtw

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Wow, nice!

I was watching a mini doc type thing on Youtube last year and there was a guy with an off-grid house who used a basic chest freezer as his fridge. He uses a thermostat (what I was assuming is a PID attached to an Arduino or something) to monitor the temp, with a relay to kick on when it gets too warm, and off before it crosses over into "freezer" territory. He claimed between that and the top loading design (lots of cold air just drops out of a conventional fridge/freezer when you open the door) it uses a tenth the electricity of a conventional fridge.

Found it (about 8 minutes in): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DSQ0W2lwtw

Have spoken to many people that take this approach and it works very well. Holding out until we get a bigger battery bank though.. I have almost everything needed to put together the wind turbine just running short on time right now. PV array will double in size next month :circlefap:

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

apatite fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 16, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Winter must be coming on pretty fast there, right? I imagine you have less than a month before it could be snowing.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
I've thoroughly enjoyed reading the thread cover-to-cover over the past couple weeks and it's gelled a lot of ideas I've had about what I'll be looking for in our next property. This thread has made me nostalgic for a property my grandfather owned: it was 65 acres if I recall and had a hand-built cabin of at least 250 square feet with a second floor/loft big enough to stand up in most of it. We had electricity and free natural gas due to a lease on his land, but no plumbing, so we had to fetch the water from the creek and poo poo in an outhouse because I piss wherever I drat well please. The creek was persistent through the year and had several good waterfalls, the biggest which was something like 12 feet tall. Unfortunately he sold it a few years ago and I was nowhere near being in a position to buy it off him because it would've made an amazing place to live how I want. Until we can save up to buy some wooded acreage of our own, I'll have to live vicariously through your trees and mushrooms and bugs and dogs and awesome scrounged projects.

I started a pretty successful garden for the first time ever this year and learned a lot. I seem to be at least somewhat gifted in caring for plants. I'm really itching to tap our silver maples in the back yard. One is 26" in diameter and the other is 31", so I should be able to fit 3 or 4 taps in each. I'm wondering if the 10gal stainless kettle I have for brewing would nicely for boiling the sap (albeit 10 gallons at a time) or if I'm going to need more surface area for the ungodly amount of sap I'm going to get from my trees.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Seriously. I was getting sick of taking the trash out each night and having my beard and mustache freeze in the 30 seconds i was outside.

That's half the fun of having a real beard in the winter though! I look like a drat viking after I get done shoveling, icicles and all.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Winter must be coming on pretty fast there, right? I imagine you have less than a month before it could be snowing.

It's been pretty warm up here in the Northeast. We're still in the 70's here in CT during the day, which is pretty shocking for October.

Everyone's been saying it's going to be a lovely winter again, though.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Did you eat a bad mushroom, trip out and become a tree?

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

I feel like if you touched/ate this, you would see some extremely odd things before shortly expiring.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Jeherrin posted:

I feel like if you touched/ate this, you would see some extremely odd things before shortly expiring.

Negative, hombre. That one crawled right up on my hand and rubbed himself all over me for a bit before departing.

You do have to be very careful though they are super fragile creatures. It is best not to touch them but more for their benefit than yours :goshawk:

http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/amphibians/spotted-salamander/

quote:

Despite being fairly large and having an extremely broad range, the spotted salamander is actually pretty hard to, well, spot.

They can reach 9 inches (23 centimeters) in length and are prevalent in mature deciduous forests from eastern Canada throughout the eastern and midwestern United States. But these secretive salamanders spend almost their entire lives hidden under rocks or logs or in the burrows of other forest animals.

They will populate upland forests and mountainous regions, but are most common in moist, low-lying forests near floodplains.

They emerge from their subterranean hiding spots only at night to feed and during spring mating. They will actually travel long distances over land after a heavy rain to mate and lay their eggs in vernal pools and ponds.

Visually striking, these stout salamanders are bluish-black with two irregular rows of yellow or orange spots extending from head to tail. Like many other salamanders, they secrete a noxious, milky toxin from glands on their backs and tails to dissuade predators. Their diet includes insects, worms, slugs, spiders, and millipedes.

Spotted salamanders' numbers are generally stable throughout their range, but they are very sensitive to changes in their ecology, and rising water acidity in certain habitats is negatively affecting their population. The pet trade and habitat loss also take a toll.

apatite fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 5, 2014

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Glad to see you still around and keeping busy. A while back you were underemployed weren't you?

While you might have liked your extra free time, it's probably nice having things not be so lean now, eh?

Mofette
Jan 9, 2004

Hey you! It's the sound, in your head goes round and round

I've been wondering what happened with the authorities? I remember they had been alerted to your house?

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Mofette posted:

I've been wondering what happened with the authorities? I remember they had been alerted to your house?

Everything is on the up-and-up. Nobody was "alerted" to anything but there were some misunderstandings on both sides

apatite fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 16, 2016

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Apatite did you see the weather reports for the next week?

Hopefully it's not as cold as the polar vortex crap was last year. It was awesome taking my trash out and having my beard and mustache freeze up on me in 10 seconds.

Best of luck keeping warm man.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

apatite posted:

Everything is on the up-and-up. Nobody was "alerted" to anything but there were some misunderstandings on both sides
I bet it was that rear end in a top hat who keeps trespassing, putting up spotting spots and shooting deer on your land :argh:

quote:

Now I can pound on stuff in the vise as much as needed without worrying about breaking it
something something girlfriend

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If you have running water on your property, you have a high water table and your well can be very shallow. By the same token, you have to be a lot more careful about your own runoff (to avoid contaminating the stream) and making sure your well water is clean (because it's coming from high water table groundwater and not a deep aquifer).

I think that probably means that you have a lot of options in terms of well placement, and if you just filter & treat your water you're good. I think you're using some kind of septic system, right? Have you had a septic field assessed and placed where it won't leach into your stream/groundwater?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Leperflesh posted:

If you have running water on your property, you have a high water table and your well can be very shallow. By the same token, you have to be a lot more careful about your own runoff (to avoid contaminating the stream) and making sure your well water is clean (because it's coming from high water table groundwater and not a deep aquifer).

I think that probably means that you have a lot of options in terms of well placement, and if you just filter & treat your water you're good. I think you're using some kind of septic system, right? Have you had a septic field assessed and placed where it won't leach into your stream/groundwater?

We are actually using the sawdust toilet setup, with so much bedrock we would have to have one of those above ground engineered mounded pump-style septic systems and it would just be a nightmare IMO. Did check into it but the cost/benefit ratio didn't work out.

The compost bin is really far away and on the other side of a giant rock ridge so in theory even the runoff from that should not effect the groundwater. All the recommendations I see even for shallow wells say you can have it like 150' from penned animals, which seems WAY too close to me but I'm no scientist.

I try to be very very paranoid about contaminating the stream and we have a portion of the side yard that gradually slopes down that way over a distance of a few hundred feet. Sometimes the dogs poop there (fuckers!) so last year I did a lot of work with a shovel to make a huge berm and turned some old skidder ruts into a pond of sorts. This way any runoff from that portion of the yard goes into this small containment pond rather than directly into the stream.

Sounds like we are thinking about the same, shallow well is no problem just don't contaminate it, have it tested frequently and don't be a dumbass. Thanks!

• Locked thread