Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It sounds like you already know way more than I do about water & septic stuff on your land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Great thread.

When I read threads like this I can't help wonder why you chose such a cold place where the cold can literally kill you. Is it because it is overall better - lack of bugs, poisonous animals and the summer heat causing more problems than the winter cold does? I was thinking a more moderate climate would be more suitable. Is all land in warm states taken or expensive?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
For me at least, I actually like the cold. Cold brings peaceful quiet, even in the middle of a huge city. Heat brings madness.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Pilsner posted:

Is all land in warm states taken or expensive?

Either that or they're too warm (c.f. Louisiana). The nice places in the country tend to get settled early, oddly enough. It's not impossible to get a decent chunk of land in a place with a pleasant climate year-round; it's just a hell of a lot more expensive than if you go to upstate New York or something.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

apatite fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 16, 2016

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

apatite posted:

The land here is crazy cheap!! I have looked recently at property in CO, VT, NH and ME..... you can not touch a place like mine for anywhere near the same price. Nowhere even close. It is incredible if you just look at pricing but we have lovely laws, a lovely business climate, high taxes, no jobs and as pointed out, it is cold as gently caress for a long time, every single year.

Winter is ingrained in me at this point, some of my best times have been below 20*F with tons of snow in the middle of the woods. We would like to try being snow birds for a while when we are older maybe? A lot of old timers around here get sick of it after 40+, 50+, 60+ years of hard living and move away. It would be nice to have the ability to leave for periods of time in the winter before it gets to the point that we flat out hate it.

The bugs are pretty bad but we don't have much for poisonous spiders/snakes/things that kill you and our families are nearby. Neither one of us likes extremely hot humid weather as much as cold dry weather

What about mosquitoes? Hopefully, your area doesn't have any. My country, on the other hand, managed to suck more adding a new mosquito-born illness to add to the three we had before. Now we have the full set, Malaria, Dengue, Yellow fever and Chikungunya.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, i'll take some snow shoveling over months of 95f+ any day.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

apatite fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 16, 2016

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008
I had a quick scan but couldnt see a mention about the current water situation. Are you bringing water in or are you using the creek as a source then boiling/purifing?

If you need a store of water for other things then these Ram pumps are pretty neat. This guy has a few vids across a few years that include improvements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG0laNqJWY0

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Still jealous, that's a great looking little waterfall.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I saw this recently and thought of you in the woods in the cold for some reason.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

toplitzin posted:

I saw this recently and thought of you in the woods in the cold for some reason.

Who has a split-front commercial toilet seat in their home?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Magnus Praeda posted:

Who has a split-front commercial toilet seat in their home?

who says it was a split-front commercial toilet seat. Nothing a hack saw can't create in a few minutes, the socks just cover up the cuts.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Just read this whole thread in like, 3 days. drat, apatite.

I live in the city and my husband refuses to move more than 20mins away from it, which means if I want land I have to find some around here and it will be at a premium price. All the really nice forested hills have been bought up by developers and are being turned into horrible suburban sprawl and strip malls and such. :(

Fortunately my husband is a tolerant man who allows me to dream my big country-girl dreams in our little city house. We have a baby apple tree on dwarfing rootstock on the hill by the driveway, a mulberry bush that came with the house, an herb/veggie garden in the front yard, and chickens in the back yard. This upcoming spring I'm expanding the garden and planting raspberries on the hill under the massive old maple (Norway maple... haven't tapped it, but one of these years I might try!). For a < 1/10th acre city lot, we're managing to cram a lot of homesteading in anyway.

Unfortunately the winters have been really unpredictable here in PA and I'm really worried about my gardening (and the chickens!). Temps for the next week are forecasted in the 20* range during the day and down toward 0 at night. I like having four seasons, but I hate this cold.

Do you have your maple sap lines ready? :D

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Faerunner posted:

Unfortunately the winters have been really unpredictable here in PA and I'm really worried about my gardening (and the chickens!). Temps for the next week are forecasted in the 20* range during the day and down toward 0 at night. I like having four seasons, but I hate this cold.

Don't worry about it. You can just put a bulb in the hen house and the garden will be fine.

I'm in eastern PA and just harvested the last of my onions before this latest cold snap.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

hey apatite, hope you are staying warm for the next few days

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Motronic posted:

Don't worry about it. You can just put a bulb in the hen house and the garden will be fine.

I'm in eastern PA and just harvested the last of my onions before this latest cold snap.

Yeah, there's a heat lamp in there. I'm trying to balance keeping them from freezing against making it TOO warm in the coop and reducing their resistance to cold temperatures. I don't want them used to a 50* coop when it's 20* outside. As it stands they didn't even go out to their fenced-in run to get food and water today, or not from what I can tell. The coop is tiny and I'm also worried that they'll get bored in there and start picking at each other. Gonna have to find some more interesting things for them to go after... today it was squash slices in their little suet feeder.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

apatite posted:

The land here is crazy cheap!!

Where is here again?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
One of the few pockets of freedom in an otherwise over controlling nanny state.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

apatite fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 16, 2016

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Do you keep the drum open so that the evaporation offsets some of the dryness that comes with winter? Or are you more worried about the humidity causing bigger problems and keep it closed?

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If you are keeping a big drum of warm but not boiling water sitting around all the time, do you add anything to the water to keep it from growing colonies of horrible biological contaminants?

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Drinking stream water will acclimate your immune system over time. Still more hygienic to boil it especially if you have guests. Hopefully the supply line is at the top and the draw is at the bottom of your barrel, or you have some way to keep any stagnant patches from developing.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

You also might want to test for heavy metal contaminants, which boiling won't do poo poo for and can also accumulate in your system.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

apatite posted:

"The average American family of four uses 400 gallons of water per day. On average, approximately 70 percent of that water is used indoors, with the bathroom being the largest consumer (a toilet alone can use 27 percent!)." [source: http://www.epa.gov/WaterSense/pubs/indoor.html]

Obviously we don't use that much in a day but we do only put about 30gal of water in at a time. That goes pretty fast with two people showering/washing hands/watering houseplants and dogs etc so it doesn't really have a chance to grow "horrible biological contaminants".

I will let you know if we die but it is not really a concern at this time. There is no visible bacteria growth in the water, not being exposed to light surely helps with that and it was actually a little surprising. That is not to say that there is not bacteria in the water but we do not drink it and we boil it if it will be used for cooking. We have been fine using this water source for all sorts of things (I used to drink it sometimes in the summer if I was there working and ran out) for more than three years now but I should probably have it tested once a year or something for peace of mind.

A respectful fear of the world is useful for self preservation, but a line needs to be drawn somewhere. People (myself included) swim in disgusting water all the time so using my nice clear stream water to take a shower doesn't seem so bad to me, but smelling chlorine all the time sounds pretty awful.

U use a water heater? This is like a Robert Redford movie as a thread

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

apatite posted:

A respectful fear of the world is useful for self preservation, but a line needs to be drawn somewhere. People (myself included) swim in disgusting water all the time so using my nice clear stream water to take a shower doesn't seem so bad to me, but smelling chlorine all the time sounds pretty awful.

Naw man that's fine, I didn't realize you weren't just drinking it, washing your dishes with it, etc. If you boil it before you drink it that's obviously fine.

I only brought it up because of Legionnaire's disease, which thrives in water kept between 77 and 113 degrees F. Most hot water heaters hold the water at a higher temp than that: at least 120 degrees, and often as high as 140.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

apatite fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 16, 2016

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?

Leperflesh posted:

Naw man that's fine, I didn't realize you weren't just drinking it, washing your dishes with it, etc. If you boil it before you drink it that's obviously fine.

I only brought it up because of Legionnaire's disease, which thrives in water kept between 77 and 113 degrees F. Most hot water heaters hold the water at a higher temp than that: at least 120 degrees, and often as high as 140.

Legionnaire's disease isn't too much to worry about in a tank like that. It's probably present but becomes more of an issue when the water is aerosolized, like in A/C units (or the vegetable sprayers in grocery stores) .

I disagree with the statement that you build an immunity to whatever you're drinking. The biggest concerns that come to mind would be giardia (especially if animals use the water source), cryptosporidium or other parasites, and bacteria like E coli and Salmonella (again from animal sources). It's probably not a huge deal of you're not drinking it constantly but personally I would want to boil the water or treat the water somehow to ensure it is safe

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The obvious solution is to build a well drilling rig out of an old jeep and some motorcycle and tractor parts.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Laminator posted:

Legionnaire's disease isn't too much to worry about in a tank like that. It's probably present but becomes more of an issue when the water is aerosolized, like in A/C units (or the vegetable sprayers in grocery stores) .

Well it's explicitly the reason why hot water heaters are supposed to be at a minimum of 120 degrees, but I'm no Legionnaire's disease expert, I'm just posting what I read on the internet about it. :shrug:

Anyway he said he's boiling the water before he drinks it and unless he's drinking the shower water I doubt it goes through the skin so it's probably not an issue.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Motronic posted:

The obvious solution is to build a well drilling rig out of an old jeep and some motorcycle and tractor parts.

Don't think that I don't check this site every week...... http://www.drillcat.com/UsedRigs.html

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

apatite posted:

Here is one thing I've been working on

It is a single cylinder diesel generator out of a boat. They normally pull water from outside the boat for cooling so I rigged up this hippy-gen with a 4gal reservoir and a truck radiator. You can't make this poo poo up, the reservoir is a PATCHOULI OIL drum

Holy poo poo, this rules. Maybe you can use it for radiant heating. :D

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
There are a billion reasons you should purify your water somehow. I have a well, and everything in my pipes runs past an ultraviolet unit to kill most of the bacteria. Then a limestone filtration tank takes out the sediment. The water is hard as gently caress but drinkable. You may want to look into scrounging up a couple of similar units, MacGuyver of the Forest. They will improve your quality of life substantially.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

apatite posted:

Feel free to speculate on how this thing is going to collapse on my head and kill me with ebola/poison/communism and how it doesn't meet code and I'm a terrible human being. All it has to do is keep snow off - tested in a crazy snowstorm and it works good for that but will still add some halfassed walls to keep the wind down while boiling.

I'd only be worried that with a flat roof the inevitable snowdrift accumulating on top will collapse it and ruin your sizzurp.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I wish we got hard maple here, but it's not native, and too far north too. Seems like a great all purpose hardwood.

• Locked thread