Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

There is no 'drop' from the spring, it is about 1ft in elevation above a swamp that is the lowest point for... well... my entire property. Ram pump would not work there unfortunately :(

DreadLlama posted:

Imagine strapping a 20lb propane to your back and unleashing unholy firey fury at the loving [world]

Hell yeah. Fire is good and great. Will probably not be burning the hawthorns down where they stand though, that could get (more) dangerous in a hurry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

viva la sol

apatite fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 16, 2016

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Dude that looks like a hundred twenty-eight square foot of solar panels at least! How many Watts is that?

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
Like your siding.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

DreadLlama posted:

Dude that looks like a hundred twenty-eight square foot of solar panels at least! How many Watts is that?

4x 150w (Not Enough, Never Enough)

Haji posted:

Like your siding.

Thanks! Cut it from an Eastern White Pine tree that tipped over to learn how to run a bandsaw mill to make lumber. Learning stuff from people is super cool :hfive:

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
600W is nothing to sneeze at. You've got almost a horsepower.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Here's some pics

Late season ticks were real bad this year because we didn't get snow until a couple days ago. They sell gaiters that are pre-treated with permethrin and they helped a lot to cut down on the ticks.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
No snow yet? That's crazy. You're pictures are super cool though. Especially that fungus growing on the tree. Any idea what it is?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
What kind of boots are those?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Haji posted:

No snow yet? That's crazy. You're pictures are super cool though. Especially that fungus growing on the tree. Any idea what it is?

Tell me about it. Last year, Buffalo experienced Snowvember, a storm that dumped 9-12 feet of snow on certain parts of the region. This year, we didn't get any measurable amount of snow until either January 1st or 2nd, which shattered a record set over 115 years ago, when they first started recording this stuff.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Haji posted:

Yeah it is crazy! The last two pics were taken the day after xmas... No idea what the fungus is, it was actually growing in a crack in a tree and was discovered as it was being split up for firewood

DreadLlama posted:

What kind of boots are those?

TSC store brand (C.E. Schmidt?) loggers, can't seem to find the same thing anymore. Ordinarily cheap boots don't last me long at all, maybe a year. These were much better and have lasted a few years, 3-4 possibly although the soles are screwed/glued back on and some of the stitching is starting to pull.

neogeo0823 posted:

Tell me about it. Last year, Buffalo experienced Snowvember, a storm that dumped 9-12 feet of snow on certain parts of the region. This year, we didn't get any measurable amount of snow until either January 1st or 2nd, which shattered a record set over 115 years ago, when they first started recording this stuff.
Finally got some here now though(6-7inches maybe??) and it's even cold, 0F this mornin

1040W (4x 260W) worth of PV panels and a new combiner box with DIN rail circuit breakers on the way :) probably won't be here for a while that stuff usually takes forever. The combiner box allows splitting the busses so I can have the old string separate still and going to a different charge controller.

apatite fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 4, 2016

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

apatite posted:

Yeah it is crazy! The last two pics were taken the day after xmas... No idea what the fungus is, it was actually growing in a crack in a tree and was discovered as it was being split up for firewood

On imgur a while back was a photo series of a lady who decided that being poor was not going to stop her from exercising and she was gifted a bunch of trees that were dumped on her yard. She then proceeded to cut and chop up all that by hand over the course of a couple of months to be ready for winter. She also logged her weight and the loss was impressive, as well as muscle gain.

In short, would you say you living remote makes you a lean, strong or both or none?

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Both but honestly it would not be difficult to be a fat/small/weak person and live in a similar manner, you just spend more money on things or people that do work for you :)

Still a very very high percentage of people here burn firewood, they are not all greek statuesque beautiful people or anything. They buy their wood cut, split and delivered and quite often go the next mile and have someone else stack it.

Even using a hydraulic wood splitter is good exercise but it doesn't make sense to use it for everything if you want to be efficient. There is plenty of wood in most trees that is easily split by hand so often I do that while the wife runs the splitter then we switch and she stacks while I run the splitter then switch again etc. For a couple of years we didn't have a splitter so wedges were employed to split the big/nasty stuff.

Use the hydraulic splitter for the stump log and crotches/knots, that gets you something close maybe to squats/deadlift by putting heavy pieces on it(idk don't go to the gym but do read the internet) and then use a maul to split anything left that is big enough to split and your torso turns into a triangle by the time the winter's wood is done.

What good is being a giant muscleman if the most use you get out of it is taking the lid off of jars or lifting things up and putting them back down? Split some wood, shovel some dirt, hike up near vertical inclines covered in waist deep snow and ice, carry buckets of water from the stream, that sort of thing.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Hey, did you survive Snowpocalypse 2016?

Also, more pics?

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Keetron posted:

It's Snowmageddon

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I thought it was James or whatever even though WE DON'T NAME STORMS

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Keetron posted:

Also, more pics?

The snow line died in the middle of Connecticut, id be surprised if he got much

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Keetron posted:

Also, more pics?

He's dead, Jim.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I'm in northern central PA and got nothing, I believe all the action was east and south of here.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Nah we didn't get any of that snow. Nice sheltered pocket for once :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Thread has probably run its course. We've been 'off da grid' for 3 years now and it has its ups and downs. Will probably start a thread somewhere to keep posting pics in the future.

If you want to do it just do it, you don't need some loud mouth on the internet (like me) to tell you what to think or what to do.

Many MANY thanks to you all.

Sincerely,
Apatite

<edit>

New thread here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765922

apatite fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 26, 2016

• Locked thread