Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

This is insanely cool and I love it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Love it, give no fucks and live like a modern viking.

Seriously though with all that rock, it's time to invest in a good stone drill and some explosives. Teach that poo poo who's boss.

Either that or get a pickaxe and get swole as gently caress as you dig out the spaces you need for your cistern and such.

Have you found any really red earth on your land? Or any iron ore bodies nearby?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

apatite posted:

We have used a hammer drill to put some anchors into a rock for our pole mounted photovoltaic setup, and I was amazed at how well it worked. It was quicker than drilling through mild steel which seemed odd but what do I know?

Not getting into the explosives stuff, probably already on enough government lists as it is :D The pickaxe sucks to use but it does work OK. Going to put the cistern on the porch for now, sucks to lose the space but winter is here and we still aren't ready... There is some redish earth, but not "really red" although there is a giant abandoned iron mine about 20miles away. What kind of awesome project are you proposing here?? :f5:

Iron mine you say? Excellent.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloomery

You have an awful lot of wood on your property just begging to be made into charcoal.

E: seriously, look how loving cool this is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWxs7ZV5Ly8

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Nov 28, 2012

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Rotten Cookies posted:

I've always dreamed of building my own place. And between you and Slung Blade, I don't even feel like it's that far fetched at all.

You know, just have to finish college and have more than a hilariously tiny amount of money to my name.

Man, I'm just a dude who had a house built in the country, apatite puts me to shame.

And yeah, I would totally start building a mill pond. So many uses for a good torque shaft.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

TooLShack posted:

Do you keep a large food store if you get snowed in for a long period of time?

That's what deer and traveling salesmen are for :black101:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Man, that is a *lot* of loving snow.

You looking into some kind of garage / building for all your vehicles? There is nothing worse than having to brush/scrape off your car every drat morning.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Holy poo poo that is a lot of snow, man. Way more than I've ever had to deal with, with the exception of the odd "once-every-decade" or so storm.

You're going to need some serious snow moving gear to keep that road clear if that's what your weather is usually like. Still, it's beautiful.

Thought about building up your toyota frame into a Nodwell type tracked vehicle?

Lift it up a bit, rigid up the axles, take out the steering bits and use the brakes to control the tracks. Oh, and build the tracks of course.

Your dad is an awesome guy to come help :)

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

apatite posted:

sudden loss of a third of our income

:smith:

apatite posted:

Been trying to get a cheap metal entry door for the porch off a nearby craigslist but the guy flakes out like the most seasoned CL user. It had been listed for several days when I called and he still had it. That's because he was out of town for 'several days' and told me to call back on Saturday. Called this morning and he still has it but won't be at home for most of the day, 'try calling back this afternoon' .....

That sucks, there's always some poo poo happening with deals like this. Is there a building materials recycler's in your area? There are a couple business here that take old doors, windows, house fittings and all kinds of stuff for re-use. Check them out, you might get lucky.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

apatite posted:

We posted about winter pelt warming carpets at the same time. Surely this is some type of awesome sign of things to come.

Line your walls with the skins of your enemies! :black101:

Drink home made mead from their bleached skulls in the sun! :black101::hf::black101:

Oh and hey, to link in some blacksmithing content that you were talking about in the other thread: if you are going to use mineral coal, make a side blast forge instead of bottom blast. Way less complicated to operate and build.

Bottom blast is great if you're going to use mostly charcoal.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Man, I wish my property was half as interesting as yours.

It's so beautiful there.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Actuary X posted:

apatite, your land look so much like where I am, you could be on the other side of the hill from me. I know it looks like that from here to Canada, but still.

As some one who lives in a log cabin, all I can say is, logs are crappy insulation. They have a hell of a lot of thermal mass, but as insulation, not really. I just it through my first winter in a log cabin, but really only heating the main room of the cabin and shutting off the rest of it. We are already doing a lot of work to get ready for next winter. We didn't really heat the bedroom, just slept in thermals with a heated mattress pad and dogs on the bed.

Still, it's pretty awesome when it's not zero degrees out. I still love it.

I have always wondered why we don't just build the outer walls of a log cabin with a second layer, and fill the chamber in between the walls with dirt, or clay or something. Like a sod house, but with a proper wooden skin.

Sure, it would massively increase the amount of labour, but excavators would make pretty short work of it. Window boxes would have to be made to withstand the pressure and such, but you would have to depth to make them octuple chambered if you wanted to.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Oldsmobile posted:

Start building a small yet livable log house next to your current building and you'll learn enough to start building something big and nice the year after next.

E: Think trapper's cabin, the kind they build in Russia. Those were designed to be warm and fast and easy to build in hard to access places. And would probably be good practice.

poo poo, just build a couple log storage sheds. I'm sure they'd come in handy.

Log garages all over the place for all your vehicles and equipment.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

drat it looks peaceful there :(

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

apatite posted:

Well I've been doing lots of things but none of it is very picture worthy.

Bought a little wagon and then promptly started heavily abusing it by using it to move firewood from where the trees were cut up to where it needs to be piled. Used it to move 2.5cord that got stacked on Sunday morning and it didn't miss a beat.

Hey cool, I have that same wagon. I've got my glyphosphate weed killer tank and a honkin heavy car battery in it. Easy enough to pull around my flat little yard.

Tires kinda suck though. Any of yours leaking yet?

With all your heavy, wet snow, I would put some little wood or steel skis on it next to the tires once you get your welder working. Might make things a little easier.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

You could build one hell of a battery pack frame on that AC chassis if that engine is hosed. Motor/tranny linkage would be dead simple too.

It won't be though. Those engines are tough as hell and can be brought back pretty readily. Just start soaking everything in penetrant or atf or something.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Magnus Praeda posted:

That looks both needlessly complex and fragile. Also probably a bit spendy, knowing dremel.

It'll probably be totally fine and reasonably high quality. Coming with thirty replacement sharpening stones.

But no replacements for the fiddliest of tiny screws that hold said stones in place that you absolutely will lose after replacing the stone once. No one will offer this screw for sale on the internet anywhere. Go buy a whole new unit.

I loving hate dremel and rotary tools in general.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

If that were the case I wouldn't be talking poo poo. Where does an 800lb gorilla plant weed?

Wherever the gently caress it wants to.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Ikantski posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't be worried about it exploding, more about if I forget about it and it drains and the residue burns in the empty pipe. I actually built something the other day to help cut my maple wood that I thought you would approve of. I've got an unlimited supply of poplar logs but they're a pain in the butt to cut one at a time so I made a 6' high, 18" wide cradle so that I can zip through a bunch at once, it's handy.

How's that work exactly? Load the cradle to the top with logs, climb a ladder, jam the chainsaw on the top of the pile, squeeze the throttle, jump off the ladder, use the resistance given to the saw by the wood to slow your descent like a circa 1790s Royal navy sailor coming down from the crow's nest to join a fracas?

Because that sounds pretty baller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

loving awesome.

• Locked thread