Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
If you have more sap than you can boil, make beer with it. Nothing more Appalachia than turning excess agriculture into alcohol of various kinds. I bet you could make some incredible liquer courtesy of some maple syrup wine and freeze-distillation, too.

Also this is pretty bad-rear end; I don't think I could live out in the woods permanently, but short of being right on a river or lake this is pretty much my ideal of a "get the gently caress out of town" second home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004

apatite posted:

Now we're talking! Freeze distillation sounds pretty drat cool and we're going to try it. I've got some 5gal glass carboys from a beer making setup...

Make sure you use a yeast that will ferment as close to 15 percent or higher as you can get. I used a champagne yeast rated for 18% to finish off a mead batch that I freeze-distilled, it takes quite a while for it to build up to the high natural percentages though. You will likely have to add extra syrup or sap to keep it going, too.

When you freeze it(probably next winter), do so inside of a flexible, foodsafe container - NOT your glass carboys. The ice is likely going to develop from the top down, which means the top will develop an ice layer, which expands and shatters the glass if you leave it inside your carboys.

And of course, don't sell any if you make it. The ATF has kind of a blind eye towards hobbyist distillers, but the second they hear about somebody selling unlicensed booze they release the hounds.

If you can get apples or fresh-pressed apple cider really cheap around there, you can ferment this spring, age all summer in kegs/barrels, and then freeze it in winter to make delicious, delicious applejack.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
Sounds like you're basically doing preventative maintenance on the local fuel load in exchange for paying less in property taxes. A win all around in my book.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004

MaakHatt posted:

If you have dedicated workclothes for outside, you could soak them in permethrin. This is an insecticide commonly used by campers, hikers, hunters, and is even applied to horses. You could soak a pair of pants, a long-sleeve shirt, and your socks in the solution and allow it to dry... voila. Ticks won't die instantly, but after crawling around on you for awhile they will die (absorb the permethrin through their legs). Kills skeeters and other undesirables as well.

You can get pre-made permethrin soaks or buy veterinarian grade concentrate which you can dilute yourself (much cheaper) as a soak. I was very skeptical about this until I used this to treat clothes I use for wilderness canoe camping trips. It's pretty kick rear end.

Do not do this, EVER, if you have cats around your place. Permethrin is hellishly toxic to them and grooming after brushing against somebody's permethrin-soaked clothing will kill them in less than 24 hours from liver failure. Don't get it in the stream either, it's fairly efficient at wiping out aquatic life as well. Particularly the parts of it that form the base of the food chain.

Pyrethrin is relatively safe to use around them, but Permethrin is bad, bad news.

The why is that their livers are fairly weak (not too many toxic compounds in your diet if all you eat is meat), and don't have the mechanisms to deactivate as wide a range of compounds as omnivores or herbivores do.

Permethrin is relatively safe to use around dogs as a result(omnivores), but I would still ask a vet about dosage and exposure times before you go soaking your work clothes in fairly efficient neurotoxin that your pets are pretty much guaranteed to rub up against.

Not to be all :byodood:POIZONS!!11! here, pesticides can be good and useful when applied in the correct context and manner. You just need to know what you're doing with your chemical of choice so you don't accidentally ruin something you treasure, which spraying poo poo willy-nilly on the (good-natured) recommendations of strangers on the internet is almost guaranteed to do.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
It's a raccoon, I've got 3 of them and recognise that dentition anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

Sticks ain't got poo poo on 7.62x54r. Hell, light sheet metal ain't got poo poo on it.

Multiple cinder blocks and stacked wet phonebooks ain't got poo poo on Mosies. One of the best(and most fun) $130 I ever spent for sure.

I finally got an in on some private acreage through a friend; the hogs will feel my wrath this summer. Then, they will feel my brine and barbecue rub :getin:

• Locked thread