Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elston Gunn
Apr 15, 2005

Some friends of mine as well as my parents have gone through similar projects as you are now. All I can say is good luck and I look forward to updates. What kind of structure are you planning on building?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elston Gunn
Apr 15, 2005

Actuary X posted:

The new saw is a Stihl MS290 and holy crap it is nice. Of course having a brand new chain on it is part of it, but I couldn't believe how nicely it was cutting today. I didn't think going from 3.0 to 3.8 hp would be such a huge difference, but it is.

I still have the old saw, a Husqvarna 345, and I will keep it around for smaller stuff since it is lighter.

I have the same saw, I love it too. Do yourself a favor and learn how to sharpen the chain by hand, if you haven't already, so you can always have a like-new chain.

Elston Gunn
Apr 15, 2005

Luckily I got to take a chainsaw operating class as part of my forestry degree and sharpening was covered pretty heavily. Here's a bonus video of my instructor demonstrating how to cut a sharpening vise out of a stump: http://youtu.be/CoNDVKdQX_A

Elston Gunn
Apr 15, 2005

dreesemonkey posted:

Is the MS290 the Farm Boss? That's the one I had my eye on. What size bar will it comfortably run? I do zero cutting right now but I know it would be nice to have a good saw around.

Yes. Stihl recommends a 16" to 20" bar.

• Locked thread