Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Snail Fact: One of the steps on the road to snail sex is a snail fight where two snails try to stab each other with things that are totally not penises but the snail who does the stabbing isn't the snail who acts as the "lady" during copulation. But it's totally different from penis jousting and not at all gay.

apatite, you strike me as the kind of person who'd evaporate maple sap with heat from a wood gasifier if given the opportunity. Let's say you had 5 or so 55 gallon steel barrels, and some guy on craigslist is selling a stick welder for $40. What would you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I asked in the metalworking thread and I'm 95% sure I'll be heading to civilization between now and October to buy an oxy/mapp welder.

In the meantime I found some maple trees a while ago and according to your thread there's money in those trees so now I kind of really want you to post thousands of pictures of of your evaporator because I'm kind of planning to copy you.

quote:

It looks like you're using that 20L as a holding tank and preheating the sap around your chimney. I remember thinking that was nifty when I first saw it. But how are you metering the flow rate? Have you got a float valve in the top of that tank? Manipulating the height of a float valve inside a tank would be how I'd control flow rate. Like, a fluid will act as though its head is only as high as the height of the float valve filling it. So you could have a 30 meter tall holding tank feeding into your 20L tank, and if you've got a float valve 7 inches off the bottom, it only flows like there's 7 inches of water, total. I believe this is how carburetors work. What did you do?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

apatite posted:

That and a 1/4 turn ball valve in the feed line that you can't see through the steam :11tea:

Reasonable people with reasonable setups use float valves. Commercially produced evaporators have "float boxes" on the sides of the pans for just this purpose, which you can also build yourself.

Later on in the process I switched to a 55gal drum for the preheater feed tank because I got to the point where boil rate exceeded my desire to be constantly swapping feed jugs

I can post some more pics of the evap if you want but it's really just a barrel cut open with some angle iron welded on for pan support

Please do. I haven't done anything like this since the mid 90's. Like you said, I'd like to build something better. In fact, what'd be really awesome is if you posted pics of yours and talked about how you'd improve it. That way this thread would serve as notes in case you ever forgot. Plus, I could blatantly rip off any suggestions you get and use them to build my evaporator.

By the way, do you have any terribly thorny pointy bushes growing wild there? I have one: prickly ash. It can grow to be taller than a man, and it's covered with pointy thorns that scratch across your skin like a cat's claws. It spreads by the root, so cutting it doesn't kill it. It keeps coming back. So paths I carved in high-school are now horribly overgrown messes of pointy things that refuse to die. TFR directed me towards a Big Knife that's pretty good, but I know my efforts are temporary. I'm thinking about planting Norway Spruce, whose roots expand along the surface and suffocate out competitors, but they'll take 10 years to get taller than a man, and decades after that to kill everything around them (if they work at all). It scratches at my dogs' faces and cuts their feet so if they go on long walks on the back 40, they spend a lot of the return trip licking their feet. I hate this plant and I desire for it to become extinct. In lieu of that happening, I was wondering if you'd ever encountered anything like it and if so how you dealt with it.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Zanthoxylum americanum. I will eventually burn it as fuel in a maple syrup evaporator and/or wood gasifier, so I appreciate its' quick-growing nature. However I would appreciate it not overtaking my paths as quickly as it does.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Wikipedia does not state whether hawthorn spreads via root propagation. May I suggest that you put on your motorcycling / welding kit, grab one by the stem and yanking it out? If you find that the stem tears up out of the soil laterally, you've got root propagation. Prickly ash spreads via root propagation. Here's a story:

Last January I cut a generally southward path through some dense shrubland in search of maple trees. I saw a stand along a ridge and figured it'd be good for sugar, but since it was January there weren't any leaves on them and I don't know enough about trees to tell you if they were alive or not. I only know they were maples because I'd been through there once during the Summer in the late 90's.

Anyway. I cut a path through mine in January. I returned in August and each stump had sprouted several long spindly pointy arms that reach up past my dog's nose and my knees. The stumps do not die if you cut them. They are fed calories from other healthy nearby stems. They are a zombie plant. You cut them down, and they grow back spindly, flexible, clingy, and with a lot more thorns per inch than they had when they were big. It is not unlike the mythical hydra from the labours of Heracles. I sincerely hope that hawthorn is not as much a pain in the rear end as prickly ash.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Hawthorn? More like Hawspike. Jesus.

If it's only one stand it might not be too late to burn down that section of forest.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

apatite posted:

Man, I wish!

Currently have been just cutting it down and throwing it in piles, sometimes I rent a woodchipper to chip it up or just burn it. The stuff is too nasty to bother trying to use as normal firewood, which is too bad because it is super hard and dense.

The thing about points is that they have a lot of surface area. This means they burn well.

http://www.tscstores.com/LINCOLN-INFERNO-PROPANE-TORCH-KIT-P21338.aspx

Imagine strapping a 20lb propane to your back and unleashing unholy firey fury at the loving insubordinate plant who dared to stand between you and your objectives.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Dude that looks like a hundred twenty-eight square foot of solar panels at least! How many Watts is that?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
600W is nothing to sneeze at. You've got almost a horsepower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
What kind of boots are those?

• Locked thread