Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
Yeah. I have to agree. I've been reading and enjoying your thread very much. You are very inspiring. Please continue to post your awesome adventures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
I kinda like porcupines. They are so freaking cute. But on the other hand, I always keep my distance.

I read that they are very tasty though. And since you just happen to have one on hand... maybe you could try some porcupine for science and the curiosity for random people on the internet. Report back and let us know.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

ShadowStalker posted:

For ticks, you could always get some guineas and free range them. They are known for keeping the tick and insect population under control.

I second the suggestion for guinea fowl. They do a really good job of clearing out ticks. I had four of them (have since given them to my neighbor since she loves them). They not only cleared out my 5 acres, but they also cleared out all my neighbor's properties. Probably close to 100 acres altogether.

I just free ranged them during the day and penned them up at night with the chickens. They started eating ticks close to home and then started wandering further and further during the days so find more tasty, tasty ticks. Awesome birds. Crazy sounds. Extremely entertaining. Absolutely voracious tick hunting machines. Pure awesome.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
I don't know how the birds themselves taste, but their eggs are extremely good. Small, very hard shells, but totally yummy.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
Now that you're all settled into your wilderness retreat, what's your approximate cost of living?

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
All I have to say is Guinea fowl love ticks. Absolute favorite food ever.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
Get some guinea fowl. They're dumb as rocks but ticks are their favorite food and you'll get delicious guinea eggs out of the bargain. That's how I cleared up my tick problem. I went from pulling 2 to 3 ticks off of the 3 dogs and cat per day to no ticks seen at all ever in about a months time. After I got them, they were on those ticks so fast that there were almost no ticks at all after just a week. They completely cleaned out my 5 acre property and then started flying over the fence and working on the neighbors' places too. Greedy, tick devouring retarded birds.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
Guineas are loud as gently caress, dumb as rocks and they do roost extremely high in trees at night if you let them.

I had mine trained to go into the chicken coop at night. They're really amazingly dumb. We got into this pattern in which they would fly over my fence and then at night most of them would successfully get back into the coop except for one which would run back and forth next to the fence yelling because it was "trapped" and couldn't remember it could just fly over the fence. So I would go forth and herd the retarded bird back in through the gate and as soon as it cleared the gate it would run as fast as possible towards the coop singing it's terrible song of joy. When one of them started roosting next to the coop, I would go out after sunset and pluck the retarded thing out of the tree and throw it into the coop. It would seriously roost at head level to me. The only difficult part of this procedure was avoiding getting smacked in the face with a wing.

For winters, I would suggest a small enclosed shed with lots of birds. They will keep each other warm. Especially if the shed is insulated. And you'll want something completely enclosed for nighttime flock safety anyway. Just let them out in the morning and run around and free range and then when the sun starts to go down, stand outside the shed door shaking a small scoop of food for them and call them home. When you get them all attracted in, toss the scoop of food into the shed then shut and lock the door. Presto!

I hear they are incredibly tasty. I haven't eaten any myself, but their eggs are SO freaking good that I wouldn't be surprised in the least. I imagine that they taste really gamey. More like pheasant or something and less like chicken.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
Chickens are not nearly as dumb and guinea fowl. Chickens are mensa material in comparison to guinea fowl. Guinea fowl are just so amazingly retarded there just isn't any way to explain the dumb.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
I hear porcupine are the tastiest meat. We need a status report.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
Like your siding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
No snow yet? That's crazy. You're pictures are super cool though. Especially that fungus growing on the tree. Any idea what it is?

• Locked thread