Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

huhu posted:

I'm looking to switch over from Sony since my camera's currently breaking and I haven't invested too much into my setup. I've got a Sony a290 entry level DSLR currently with the 18-55 kit lens and a 50mm 1.7f lens. I've decided that within my price range I'm going to upgrade to a d90. So far on my list of purchases I've got the d90 with the 18-55mm lens which leaves me about $300 left for others lenses/accessories. My next purchases if my camera wasn't breaking would have been a fisheye and 70-210 F4. What do you guys think I should purchase for my remaining $300 with that in mind? If there is a better lens than the 18-55, I'm all ears as well.

Edit:
After more browsing I've got this list of stuff so far:
Nikon d90 $260
18-55mm $70
Nikon 50mm 1.8f $100
Nikon 55-200mm $100
Accessories $47

D90 is trash. If you are going to swap systems and stick with the D90, at least get the Tammy 17-55 2.8 and dont bother with the 18-55 kit or the 50mm 1.8. Up your budget to afford a used D7000. Its miles better and not long in the tooth sensor wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

The D90 will still take good pictures, but the D7000 got a pretty big boost in sensor performance, much better autofocus, weather sealing, AI metering, video acquisition that's not horrible and probably some other stuff that make it worth the extra money. If that's too expensive for you, a used D3200 is still a step up in most respects from the D90 (although you lose screw drive autofocus compatibility).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Also recommending the d7000. Just get that and a 35mm or 50mm prime for now if budget is an issue IMO.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I have a d90.

Buy the d7000, and you get everything the d90 does but every single thing is better.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
D7000 is awesome the 35mm 1.8 dx is awesome. Buy them.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
I vote D7000 + 18-55 kit.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

RangerScum posted:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

RangerScum posted:

Yeah the 35 1.8 is really loving nice but kit lenses are also really loving handy.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Is the 70-200mm vr2 going to be a monster upgrade from the vr1? I have the vr1 (in super rare light gray) and there's someone on CL selling the vr2 at such a price that it would basically be a free upgrade.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I've been meaning to get some filters for my lenses. I have one that is 77mm and one that is 52mm (will likely have another 52mm soon) and I understand that step down rings are best, any recommendations?

Also what about brands of filters? I was thinking just a polarising one and maybe a ND.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

red19fire posted:

Is the 70-200mm vr2 going to be a monster upgrade from the vr1? I have the vr1 (in super rare light gray) and there's someone on CL selling the vr2 at such a price that it would basically be a free upgrade.
You ok trading corner performance for focus breathing?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Red_Fred posted:

I've been meaning to get some filters for my lenses. I have one that is 77mm and one that is 52mm (will likely have another 52mm soon) and I understand that step down rings are best, any recommendations?

Also what about brands of filters? I was thinking just a polarising one and maybe a ND.

I have a whole series of Fotodiox stepping rings and they're bargain but fine. http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Step...odiox+step+down

As for filters, don't skimp on the ND (I'm assuming you're getting a variable ND?) or at least don't go bottom of the bargain bin cheap.

I went with the Tiffen which isn't horribly expensive and has worked just fine so far!

http://www.amazon.com/Tiffen-72mm-Variable-ND-Filter/dp/B005TFU8CG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1417014018&sr=8-2&keywords=tiffen+variable+nd

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
:siren: :siren: Nikon QA drama part III: D750 light leak internal ghosting (??) :siren: :siren:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1331716/0

red19fire
May 26, 2010

evil_bunnY posted:

You ok trading corner performance for focus breathing?

As in the VR2 has better corner performance and worse focus breathing? or vice versa? Because the VR1 focus breathes pretty bad. I'm also only asking because K*Rock says it (vr2) has less distortion, but there's also some reported problems with lens coatings falling off internally.

E: I just checked dpreview. Yes, think I'll go for it.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 27, 2014

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Could anyone recommend a good ultra wide zoom for nikon they've had a good experience with? Crop sensor.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

TequilaJesus posted:

Could anyone recommend a good ultra wide zoom for nikon they've had a good experience with? Crop sensor.

I've enjoyed the Sigma 8-16, particularly up in the mountains.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Tokina 11-16 would be my personal choice.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
I have the Sigma 10-20, which I use on my D5100. I'm pretty happy with it.

When I was doing my research on which wide angle to get, I was down to this Sigma or the Tokina 11-16, which also looked really good.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I like the nikon 10-24. The 11-16 is nice but the zoom range is too constricted.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

So my D600 has dust on the sensor again, a month after I just got it cleaned and restored.

If this is going to continually happen, what should I do? Just buy a new camera altogether or turn it into a boat anchor? :(

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Spend 3 minutes cleaning it?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

Spend 3 minutes cleaning it?

Who has 3 minutes in these busy modern times ?

Shrinking Universe
Sep 26, 2010
Muse sucks FYI

toggle posted:

So my D600 has dust on the sensor again, a month after I just got it cleaned and restored.

If this is going to continually happen, what should I do? Just buy a new camera altogether or turn it into a boat anchor? :(

By restored do you mean they swapped out the shutter unit? The service advisory for the D600 should allow for that if it is a recurring problem. I sent mine in for a cleaning for the first time and they just swapped out the shutter anyway, I guess figuring they would probably see it back in the shop before long. I haven't noticed any dust or oil spots since getting it cleaned/replaced.

This was Nikon Australia, ymmv.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Shrinking Universe posted:

By restored do you mean they swapped out the shutter unit? The service advisory for the D600 should allow for that if it is a recurring problem. I sent mine in for a cleaning for the first time and they just swapped out the shutter anyway, I guess figuring they would probably see it back in the shop before long. I haven't noticed any dust or oil spots since getting it cleaned/replaced.

This was Nikon Australia, ymmv.

Yes, cleaned sensor and swapped out shutter. I had it done in October, from Nikon Australia too.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Weird, I had mine done earlier this year and have taken something like 20k photos since - no excessive amount of dust.

How long did you have yours before you sent it in? I had mine for 2 years before bothering to do a cleaning.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I've had it since August this year. :(

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

If I recall, doing a cleaning before the first 10k shutter actuations or so could result in more dust buildup due to reasons that I can't remember right now, though you'd expect that this shouldn't be a problem after the shutter assembly has been replaced.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
How stupid would I be to sell&buy/trade my D7000 for a Lumix FZ1000? I'm more of a video guy and I need something with no detachable lens so I can get into stadiums and events without security hasslin' me.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Depends on your use case and style of video, it's hard recommend something without knowing your style and how you plan to put videos together.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006

1st AD posted:

Depends on your use case and style of video, it's hard recommend something without knowing your style and how you plan to put videos together.

Basically this http://vimeo.com/108900744 but for my bros basketball games (and like other in-the-crowd stuff, a lot sports oriented, zoomy herky jerky and run'n'gun - with good amount of 'throw' I think is the term[?]). Then cut up and edit on a machine (that I still have to research and buy) into music videos/highlight reels.

I'm more Tony than Ridley.

Ninja PD fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 30, 2014

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

1st AD posted:

If I recall, doing a cleaning before the first 10k shutter actuations or so could result in more dust buildup due to reasons that I can't remember right now, though you'd expect that this shouldn't be a problem after the shutter assembly has been replaced.
It's not dust, it's oil because the excessive lubing in the shutter assembly hasn't been spat out yet.

At least it was in mine.

Is there a way to check a d800 serial online for the af module issue? I haven't sent mine in but I should after the holiday

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

toggle posted:

If this is going to continually happen, what should I do? Just buy a new camera altogether or turn it into a boat

[quote="toggle" post="438305619"]

Dust happens.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Musket posted:

Dust happens.

Indeed.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
D7100 bodies are now below US$900 on multiple sites (Amazon, B&H, etc). This probably (hopefully? :tinfoil: I WANT TO BELIEVE) means we're due for a D7200 announcement in January or February.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

This actually means you should get a 7100 and some glass if you're in the market.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

This actually means you should get a 7100 and some glass if you're in the market.
I've been considering it but since I'm waiting for the Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary's pricing (and weight) to be announced I'll wait to see what Nikon announces as well. (I'll be upgrading from a D3200 and a Sigma 120-400mm)

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Kenshin posted:

D7100 bodies are now below US$900 on multiple sites (Amazon, B&H, etc). This probably (hopefully? :tinfoil: I WANT TO BELIEVE) means we're due for a D7200 announcement in January or February.

I think it more has to do with Black Friday / Cyber Monday sales.

district of thizz
May 9, 2006

How do, jerry bus.

Kenshin posted:

I bit on the adorama deal with the SD card , extra battery, and bag. Upgrading from a D80.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
If there is a successor and it couldn't be in my hands before May then I'll probably end up getting a D7100 body-only deal and then selling it once the successor is available. Otherwise I'm gonna wait and see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

My office is going to order a Nikon DSLR for stills and video (1080 25p) work. I've suggested the D5300 (with the swivel LCD), but the boss is looking at the D7100 (in-camera AF motor). We use JVC GY-HM600E (& older DV-CAM cameras) as well as a Sony F5, but looking to setup a small, lightweight rig as well. Three people in the office shoot Nikon, so there's plenty of lenses to borrow. Any opinions on which to go with?