Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think the D750 feels awesome but that's coming from a D800. I hate the stupid eyecup bumper and wish they would have used the same style as the D800/D500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Xabi posted:

Are there any former D700 users in here who are now using the D750?

How was the change? I sold my D700 a few months ago to go mirrorless exclusively, but I must admit that I miss the D700 sometimes. It just fit my hands, all the buttons are placed perfectly and it's solid as a rock.

I've actually been thinking about getting a lightly used D700, but it's an eight year old camera at this point. Better ISO performance and some more megapixels would be nice, although I managed just fine with the D700.

In a perfect world Nikon would've just updated the D700 chassis with better stuff inside - but perhaps the D750 feels just as good?

The D750 feels great, a bit bigger than the D7k but really comfortable to shoot with IMO.

Crazy good value camera. I love that thing.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I just got a 70-200 VR II after UPS spent 3+ weeks sending it around in circles in Europe. I'm undecided on whether to keep it or return it. Things to note:

- The nikon box is a bit mangled / crumpled since it wasn't packed very well

- It needs a focus finetune adjustment of +13 / +14, which seems quite excessive. My other lens (sigma) works fine without any adjustment, could maybe use + / - 1 but has enough DOF that I haven't bothered.

- Sharpness @ 150 - 200mm seems on par with my sigma 150-600C. Admittedly I'm comparing F/2.8 to F/5. Everything I read says the lens is supposed to be very sharp even without stepping down, and it seems sharp, but I had expected it to be even sharper than the sigma.

+ Vendor has offered a 20% discount for the damaged box / 3 week shipping time, which is quite nice on such a pricy lens, and saves waiting another couple of weeks for a new copy

At the end of the day if I shouldn't expect it to be sharper than it is, I'm happy keeping it, taking the discount, and having Nikon adjust it when I can spare it for a few weeks. I just don't want to be missing a lot of its potential because I got a damaged copy and didn't know it could be much better than it is.

This is from my hacked together focus testing stand. Since I was doing it outside the light changed slightly while switching lenses. The ruler intersects the focus plane @ 34 1/8".

E: vvvv yes the price it great. But if I'm missing half the potential for just a 20% discount, I'd gladly pay 20% more, since any increase in sharpness helps make the cheetah cub's fur look better.

Ika fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 18, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Third party lenses are pretty great these days and there generally isn't much visual difference between them and first party ones these days. Seeing the same sharpness at 2.8 compared to 5.6 seems fine to me, personally.

If you were already happy paying the asking price for the lens you got, getting 20% off it after the fact seems pretty sweet if you ask me.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've been considering a macro lens for my D3200 for a while. I'd have pulled the trigger a long time ago, but I haven't had the spare cash.

Now I was getting close to pulling the trigger on the Nikon 85mm f/3.5G - on KEH, in EX, with today's 15% off, it comes to right around $300.

But, for most of my walkaround shooting I find myself using the kit 18-55, while frequently wanting to switch to the kit 55-200 for zoom. I just discovered the Sigma 18-250 f/3.5-5.6 DC MACRO OS HSM, which apparently would give me a complete walkaround range, plus macro capability, and a refurb price of $300. Plus maybe swapping two heavy lenses out for one in my camera bag, which is not insignificant. (The other lens I own is the Nikon 28mm, which I've only had for a few months and haven't really fully explored yet, but it does give me the fixed focal length clarity for lightweight all-around use.)

Why is this lens so cheap? Is it a good option? For macro I'd like to be able to take pictures of bugs and flowers and stuff, and also tripod studio photos of my nerdy hobbies.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
it's cheap because it's bad

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Welp.

I wanted the 85 anyway.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The tamron 60/2 is also excellent

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Ika posted:

At the end of the day if I shouldn't expect it to be sharper than it is, I'm happy keeping it, taking the discount, and having Nikon adjust it when I can spare it for a few weeks. I just don't want to be missing a lot of its potential because I got a damaged copy and didn't know it could be much better than it is.

This is from my hacked together focus testing stand. Since I was doing it outside the light changed slightly while switching lenses. The ruler intersects the focus plane @ 34 1/8".

E: vvvv yes the price it great. But if I'm missing half the potential for just a 20% discount, I'd gladly pay 20% more, since any increase in sharpness helps make the cheetah cub's fur look better.

Have you looked up what the depth of field is for your lens/camera combination with that focus stand? ~3/4 of an inch at the minimum focus distance seems normal to me at 2.8. I was having problems with sharpness wide open when I shoot events on stage, and I realized that the focal plane is approximately less than a foot deep at 20 feet away so tilting the camera up or down affects sharpness severely.

It may be worth it to keep the 20% discount and call it a free CLA at Nikon.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

red19fire posted:

Have you looked up what the depth of field is for your lens/camera combination with that focus stand? ~3/4 of an inch at the minimum focus distance seems normal to me at 2.8. I was having problems with sharpness wide open when I shoot events on stage, and I realized that the focal plane is approximately less than a foot deep at 20 feet away so tilting the camera up or down affects sharpness severely.

It may be worth it to keep the 20% discount and call it a free CLA at Nikon.

The DOF is expected, I just am slightly worried, since the focus is so badly off without fine tuning that the sharpness is also off what it could/should be and I just don't notice it since I'm not used to having such a good lens.

Everyone talks about a focus plane, is it really a plane, or is it actually a sphere when you get too close to your subject?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

One of my lenses is at -10, which isn't much less. Unless you feel you're at the complete end of the scale and it's still not perfect, it's no biggy. You can always request that the lens and body are calibrated to each other by Nikon if you're worried.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Hey guys, I'm planning a trip to Anchorage and one of the things I want to do is the Kenai Fjords boat tour. My current setup is:

D800
18-35 3.5-4.5G
50 1.8D
105 2.5 AI-S
300 4.5 AI-S

These lenses have served me well for years of landscape photography. So, I'd say I don't need anything else, except I am not normally taking pictures of things at tele range and, if I am, I have plenty of time to change lenses. Maybe that would change on a boat tour.

Things I am considering:

70-300 4.5-5.6G VR
24-120 4G VR (just for versatility, but I hated the 28-300 VR so...)

Do you lot have any advice?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

vote_no posted:

Hey guys, I'm planning a trip to Anchorage and one of the things I want to do is the Kenai Fjords boat tour. My current setup is:

D800
18-35 3.5-4.5G
50 1.8D
105 2.5 AI-S
300 4.5 AI-S

These lenses have served me well for years of landscape photography. So, I'd say I don't need anything else, except I am not normally taking pictures of things at tele range and, if I am, I have plenty of time to change lenses. Maybe that would change on a boat tour.

Things I am considering:

70-300 4.5-5.6G VR

Are you going to Seward? I was just there in late July. If you haven't booked anything yet I highly recommend Major Marine Tours' "Northwest Glacier" tour since you're a photographer.

I have a bit different lens focus than you (I'm more of a bird and wildlife than landscape) but I brought my 200-500mm, 18-55mm, and 35mm. I didn't end up using the prime at all, but made great use of the 18-55mm for glacier landscapes.

I would recommend only bringing a few lenses, you generally will have plenty of time to switch for landscape stuff.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Kenshin posted:

Are you going to Seward? I was just there in late July. If you haven't booked anything yet I highly recommend Major Marine Tours' "Northwest Glacier" tour since you're a photographer.

I have a bit different lens focus than you (I'm more of a bird and wildlife than landscape) but I brought my 200-500mm, 18-55mm, and 35mm. I didn't end up using the prime at all, but made great use of the 18-55mm for glacier landscapes.

I would recommend only bringing a few lenses, you generally will have plenty of time to switch for landscape stuff.

I'll be there from September 3 - 10, so I think I'm stuck with the Kenai Fjords Tours.

edit: Or, at least, it looks like the Northwest Glacier with Major Marine isn't available at that time.
edit2: Hey, there's a Prince William Sound tour that looks pretty cool, too.

vote_no fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Aug 21, 2016

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

vote_no posted:

Things I am considering:

70-300 4.5-5.6G VR

I had the 70-300 VR for a while and the image quality was pretty rough until you stopped down a ways. Sadly, Nikon doesn't offer anything better in that focal range until you hit about 3 times the price point of the 70-300. If you can afford the purchase/rental price, the 200-500mm is definitely worth a look for your telephoto. I've been very happy with Tamron's 24-70mm, and I'd recommend that over the 24-120 unless you really need that 70-120 range.

A used D500 popped up on B&H last week, so I took the plunge. I'm still playing around with the settings and getting the AF fine tune dialed in, but so far I'm very impressed. The AF system is a huge step up from the D800 I've been using. It's able to get a focus lock on flying birds a LOT faster, and it was able to pick out a diving Peregrine Falcon in front of thick foliage with a fair amount of heat distortion in the air for two frames. In some situations where the D800's focus system would just give up and start hunting, the D500 has been able to pull off some in-focus shots. This is the first time I've been able to get a swallow in focus while it was flying toward the camera.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Moon Potato posted:

I had the 70-300 VR for a while and the image quality was pretty rough until you stopped down a ways. Sadly, Nikon doesn't offer anything better in that focal range until you hit about 3 times the price point of the 70-300. If you can afford the purchase/rental price, the 200-500mm is definitely worth a look for your telephoto. I've been very happy with Tamron's 24-70mm, and I'd recommend that over the 24-120 unless you really need that 70-120 range.

Thanks for the input, I went with the 70-300 VR. I figure it's at least better than the 105 AI-S in terms of trying to capture wildlife -- in my hands, anyway! Plus even if I sold it back to KEH I only lose $100.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I've decided to be reasonable and not binge on gear upgrades.

I have a sigma 150-500 and a D7000 body. The upgrades I am looking at are the Nikon 200-500 and the D500. For wildlife and birds in flight stuff almost entirely.

I'm leaning towards the lens (plus something shorter to cover closer subjects)... makes sense?

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Mango Polo posted:

I have a sigma 150-500 and a D7000 body. The upgrades I am looking at are the Nikon 200-500 and the D500. For wildlife and birds in flight stuff almost entirely.

I'm leaning towards the lens (plus something shorter to cover closer subjects)... makes sense?

Yeah, I feel like the lens would give you the best upgrade. There's a local guy around here that uses one paired with the D7200 to photograph eagles and he's been very happy with the quality.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I'm using a Nikon 200-500mm + D7200 combo right now and it rules. The D500 would be an upgrade, but not an enormous one. That lens though... goddamn. My previous lenses were a Tamron 150-600 and Sigma 120-400. The Nikon blows them out of the water.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

If you shoot a lot of birds in flight or fast action, I'd definitely go for the D500 over the D7200. The new autofocus system is leaps and bounds better than the previous generations for tracking fast, erratic subjects.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
So the logical answer then is buy both :shepspends:
Stupid medical expenses getting in the way.

BIS is my main interest, but the first real test for this lens will be on a safari in Tanzania in October. So mostly still or slow moving subjects. Though it's true that the auto focus speed has been an annoyance.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Is there a dx wide angle zoom that's considered as good or better than the Canon ef-s 10-18 & 10-22?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Is there a dx wide angle zoom that's considered as good or better than the Canon ef-s 10-18 & 10-22?

I had the tokina 11-20mm for events, and it was very nice. very sharp, even wide open.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

It's not quite as wide, but Tokina's 14-20mm is sharper and faster than their other offerings.

StraightFace
Feb 9, 2014

Mango Polo posted:

I'm using a 200-500 on a D800 and I'm very happy with it.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Not as wide as others but there is no better than the nikon 14-24.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Seeing mixed reports about this online — How well sealed would a D750 be with the 24-120mm f4? I have a rain cover, but I'd like a bit more insurance.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
My 200-500 arrived (along with a Tamron 70-200) :circlefap:

Can't wait for the weekend to hit the zoo and get some test shots done.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Nikon D750 just arrived in the mail today. Can't wait to start messing around with it.

Sounds kind of goofy too, but it's sort of a milestone in my life too. When I was a kid, seeing someone with a Nikon SLR always impacted me. It was like "Wow, that guys a pro, and he's got cool pro gear!". And I always wanted a Nikon SLR since I was young. Any time I saw that yellow logo, it was a like a talisman calling out to me. And now I've got one. Feels good man.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Nikon D750 just arrived in the mail today. Can't wait to start messing around with it.

Sounds kind of goofy too, but it's sort of a milestone in my life too. When I was a kid, seeing someone with a Nikon SLR always impacted me. It was like "Wow, that guys a pro, and he's got cool pro gear!". And I always wanted a Nikon SLR since I was young. Any time I saw that yellow logo, it was a like a talisman calling out to me. And now I've got one. Feels good man.

hah, I'm right there with you. I remember seeing people with Nikons in the 80s and felt the same way. It's just an added bonus I like how they feel in my hands more than Canon :v:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
While reading the D750 manual:

quote:

When operating the viewfinder diopter adjustment control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally.

I wanna meet that person that tried to sue Nikon that necessitated this warning being put in the manual.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I got into nikon manual focus film SLRs and like them. I use a full frame Canon (5d2) + macro lens to scan the negatives I develop from my film camera. I'm building up a collection of older nikon lenses, including early AF lenses with physical aperture rings.

Ideally, I'd someday like to get a full frame nikon, so I can scan my negatives and also have a nice digital camera to use with my collected lenses. To that end...

What's a good macro lens for nikon? Probably looking for something modern; I want to have very good resolution and no significant field curvature/ good across-the-frame sharpness.

My 5D2 is getting old and has some little bit of unwanted shutter/mirror vibration and not very accurate pdaf (whether that's down to an off kilter af module or just the way the old 9-point system performs, I couldn't say). So I'd be looking for something with better and maybe more accurate af, and good build quality and reliability (so maybe something that hasn't been the subject of any of Nikon's notorious recalls. Resolution and fps are less important. Right now I'm leaning towards the d610 or the Df.. but is the latter just an overpriced gimmick? Any other bodies I should consider? I'd like to not break too far over $1500. Preferably less.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

:siren: DID SOMEONE SOUND THE DF ALARM? :siren:

The Df is the then-flagship D4 sensor in a gimmicky but reasonable body. I used 2 of them to shoot sports for 2 years, they're very solid cameras with a bunch of quirks and gimmicks that camera forum dweebs couldn't get over and see the forest for the trees.

Pros:
-Insane low light capability. DxO put it slightly better than the D4 in the +3200 ISO range. My informal confirmation is from shooting in darkish theaters, this Uncle Bob tried to brag that his 5d3 was 'killing it' at iso 3200, f/4, 1/200. I was at 1600, f/4, 1/250. So like 1 1/3 stop faster :smug:
-lightest, smallest full frame body Nikon makes. Hand grip is kind of thin, so it sucks for an 8 hour shooting day, but if you can deal with nikon film cameras you should be ok.
-since you're into vintage lenses, the mount has a swing-away aperture feeler so you can use non-ai lenses going back to 1955.
-batteries last forever.

Cons:
-lots of fiddly-dials. I basically set the shutter speed dial to rear thumb wheel and never moved it again for 2 years. Also the front aperture wheel is vertically mounted and hard to spin.
-autofocus unit is out of the d600, and weak for lack of a better term. Most of the AF points are clustered in the middle, and they're not quite sensitive enough to be useful in the very low light conditions the sensor can handle. Not to say it's bad, because it's solid, but it's one of those things nikon could have included to make a more perfect camera.
-shutter is some weird electro-mechanical hybrid. Mine gave out at 45k and had to be replaced, but I also rip like a thousand shots a week out of it, and used live view a lot.
-usb port is some proprietary bullshit connection. Nikon does this a lot, this just pisses me off because I shoot tethered a lot and the tether cables are like $45 each and i've broken at least 2.

Not going to go too K*Rock on it, but its a solid camera but definitely consider renting for a weekend to make sure you like it.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 19, 2016

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/9/19/12934094/photokina-nikon-keymission-action-360-degree-gopro-price

wow, what an exciting announcement

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Nikon will always hurry to be the last into a new market.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

thetzar posted:

Nikon will always hurry to be the last into a new market.

a market created by a company who's stock price has dropped from 90 to 15 in 1 year, lol

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The 360 camera is pretty early to market. It's like the second full 360 camera after Samsung's, and it's waterproof and does processing on board.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

If the 80 had 4K video, I would have bought it. The ultra-wide fisheye lenses on other action cams just don't do it for me.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
What's the battery life on these things? All of these loving pov cameras are poo poo because they last like 2 hours on interval shooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What's another good source for used lenses now that KEH has gone downhill?