Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

This is actually just the OP i made for the nikon thread in the dorkroom with all the text deleted. the last post was all pulled from the pentax me superthread.

Well, Canon has one, and we should too.

The Bodies

Nikon bodies can generally be divided into four categories, which is why comparing them with equivalent Canon bodies can get sorta confusing.

In terms of naming, entry-level and prosumer generally follow D 3x00, D5x00, or D7x00 (formerly Dxx), and compare roughly to Canon's xxxD series. Semi-pro bodies are Dxxx, and compare to Canon's xxD series. Pro bodies are Dx, and compare to Canon's xD lineup.

Entry-level bodies include the D3200 and D5200, and formerly the D40(x), D50, D60, and D5000, D5100, D3100, and D3000. They typically lack the autofocus screw (except the D50), which means they can't autofocus with screw-drive lenses (such as the excellent 50 1.8 and 85 1.8). They also can't meter old AI/AI-S lenses, although they can mount them. The D5100 and newer have the more current sensors that are far more capable of high iso.

Prosumer bodies include the D7000 and D7100, and formerly the D70(s), D80, and D90. The D70 could go either way, really. These bodies all have the AF screw, and most of them can meter AI/AI-S lenses. They can also all use their pop-up flash as a CLS commander.

Semi-pro bodies include the D600 and D800, and formerly D100, D200, D300, and D700. The build quality is significantly better (magnesium bodies), they have pretty good weather sealing, PC sockets, and basically all the nice little touches that make good cameras fun to use. There's a lot more buttons, meaning a lot less going into menus to change things. They also tend to feature faster/better AF, bigger buffers, and faster continuous shooting speed. All of them can meter AI/AI-S lenses, and all of them can use their pop-up flash as a CLS commander. The D800, D700 and D600 are full frame cameras, with the D800 and D600 featuring the newer, nicer sensors.

Pro bodies, at this point, are the D4, and formerly, the D1(x/h), and D2(x/h/hs) and D3 and D3x. They have an integrated vertical grip, and are basically awesome in every way something can be awesome. The D3, in DX crop mode, can shoot at eleven god drat frames per second. These don't feature pop-up flashes, so you'll need an SU-800, SB-800, or SB-900 if you need a CLS commander. Every aspect of these bodies is a head and shoulders above the semi-pro line (including the price).

The Lenses

There are a few basic categories of Nikon lenses. The first is DX/non-DX. DX lenses are intended for use on crop-sensor bodies, which is anything below the D700. They will mount and function on full-frame bodies, but the camera will enter 'DX crop mode', which essentially just uses a smaller center portion of the sensor to avoid what would otherwise be laffo vignetting. It also means you get smaller images, since it can't use the entire sensor, so this can be bad.

There are two types of autofocus used on current Nikon lenses, screw-drive and AF-S. People sometimes mistakenly call screw-drive AF-D - AF-D lenses can be screw drive, but not all screw drive lenses are AF-D (the D indicates that it reports distance information to the body). Screw-drive lenses will only autofocus on the D70 or above (and notably, not the D5000). AF-S lenses have the focusing motor in the lens itself, and will autofocus on any Nikon DSLR.

The last major category is G/non-G lenses. G lenses don't have an aperture ring. This isn't a big deal for most people, but it does mean you can't use them on a lot of older film bodies.

For older lenses, you might come across "Non-AI" or "Pre-AI" lenses. These will mount but not meter on the D40 and such. They will not mount on anything that can actually meter then without actual mechanical modification, and if you try to mount them anyways, you will probably break your AI indexing tab off your camera and get laughed at. The conversion isn't hard, you can do it at home with Dremel or send it out to get done by someone else for cheap.

The Flashes

Nikon's current flash technology is called iTTL. Their older TTL flashes will not work on current Nikon bodies, with the exception of the D100, which I don't think anybody is calling current. Nikon doesn't have that many flashes, so we may as well go through them individually.

SB-R200: This is meant to be used with their close-up kit, or as a tiny stick-anywhere remote flash. It can only be fired via CLS. Not only can it not be fired on a hotshoe, I don't think it even has a hotshoe. They're great for either the close-up work they were intended for, or for when you just need a tiny pop of light somewhere.

SB-400: This is, by all accounts, pretty worthless. I'm sure it fills the needs of some people, but it's basically a pop-up flash with a bounce head. Can't be triggered via CLS, nor can it be a CLS commander on bodies which either can't use their pop-up for that or lack a pop-up.

SB-600: This is their real entry-level flash. It can do CLS, has a bounce/swivel head, and basically all the things you'd expect from a hotshoe flash. It can't act as a CLS commander, though, but can be a CLS remote flash. It does, however, have a built-in wide-angle diffuser.

SB-800: Out of production now, but was/is awesome. It could be either a CLS commander or CLS remote, had a kickass built-in optical slave, a high-voltage port on the front to use with external battery packs, and an optional 5th-battery attachment for hilariously fast recycle times. It also featured a wide-angle diffuser and built-in bounce card, as well as dedicated modeling light button.

SB-900: The current five-hundred-dollar hotness. Advantages over the SB-800: Head zooms to 200mm, has options for distribution of light, improved/added gel holder, significantly better controls. There have been some reports of them overheating REALLY easily, which is unsurprising since they get the same recycle time with 4 batteries than the SB-800 got with 5.

One slight issue with Nikon flashes is that their locking mechanism doesn't work overly well on non-Nikon shoes, such as those found on lightstand adapters and such. The solution is to buy one of these, if your flash has a PC port or you're using CLS. They hold the flash tight enough that the shoe is likely to break off before the clamp does.

The Thread Title

On lenses with an aperture ring, on Nikon DSLRs, if you don't have the aperture stopped down to maximum (like f/22 or whatever), the camera will report an 'fEE' error and will refuse to take a picture. It's probably one of the most confusing and annoying errors for a newbie. Most modern lenses have locks on the aperture so you can just set it there and lock it. If you prefer to use the aperture ring to set your aperture, on the D200 at least, there's a custom setting in the "Command Dials" section that lets you do it this way.

Nikon Trivia

Nikon's lens division, Nikkor, has been around since before Nikon made cameras, or even existed. They used to, and still do, make microscope optics and things of that nature. Nikkor has made lenses for Leica screw-mount, among others.

When getting into the SLR market, Nippon Kogaku was trying to find a name for their new line of SLR cameras. They considered several, including 'Pentax', before settling on Nikon.

Nikon has a weird thing where their macro lenses are called 'Micro'. According to their '1001 Nights' page, which has a lot of great lens history on it, this was because their first close-up lens couldn't actually do 1:1 without an extension tube, only 1:2. Since they already made microscope optics, they figured they'd probably get called out for calling it a 'macro' lens when it actually wasn't, and 'Micro' just sorta stuck.

So, all that being said, here's a thread for discussion and questions of all things Nikon.

EDIT FOR CLS

CLS is Nikon's optically-based wireless flash system. Basically, you set up CLS-capable flashes as slaves (SB600/800/900/R200), and use either your pop-up flash or a CLS commander to fire them. You can use TTL metering, set the power manually, assign various flashes to various groups, etc. It's a cheap and easy way to use off-camera flash if your body supports using the pop-up as a commander. It works quite well indoors, and moderately well outdoors.

EDIT FOR LINKS
http://mir.com.my/rb/photography/photography.htm is an excellent resource for all things Nikon, both film bodies and also pretty much every lens they've ever made.

http://bythom.com is good too I guess, I don't go there much.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm

nielsm posted:

Nikon film bodies:

For some reason Nikon decided to give their film SLRs different names in US and Europe, so e.g. F80 and N80 is the same camera, just sold for Europe or US respectively. The exception being the pro series; F, F2, F3, F4, F5 and F6 are called the same all over the world.
Some early low-end models have very different EU/US names, e.g. F-801 is the same as N8008, but mostly it's just F swapped for N.

Anyway, some suggestions for Nikon cameras to stuff your lenses on if you like silver halides:

F4, F5 and F6 are all AF and AE professional cameras. Presumably they are really good.
F100 is the best prosumer model made. It does most things, at less cost than F5 or F6.
F90 is older than both F100, also does both kinds of AF, but doesn't work well with G lenses. I like my F90x. (F-801/N8008 is similar to F90, but has worse metering, worse AF, and doesn't handle in-lens AF motor.)
F80 also does a lot of things, but not as much. (It can't meter with non-CPU lenses, for one thing.) A bit newer than F100.
Don't bother with the rest, they are poo poo.

F3 is the king of Nikon manual focus SLRs. Does AE. (There is also F3AF which has an early AF system. It's rare.)
F2 and the original F are mostly historical artifacts by now, as far as I know.
FE and FM series should be good value choices for manual focus. FE does auto-exposure, FM does not.

Mightaswell posted:

I'd like to make note of a seldom mentioned Nikon camera with a unique feature set.

The Nikon FA
It's the only manual focus camera Nikon ever made that can matrix meter with all AI and AI-s lenses while also featuring A, S and M modes, as well as two P modes.

Also it has a closed loop exposure system that measures the actual light coming through the lens after the lens stops down an instant before making the exposure. This allows the camera to correct any calibration or error in the aperture mechanism of the lens.

It's analogous to the Canon A1, Olympus OM-2SP, and Pentax Super-A.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Add most of this to the op (the f75 is an excellent camera especially for it's price)

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Mightaswell posted:

I'd like to make note of a seldom mentioned Nikon camera with a unique feature set.

The Nikon FA
It's the only manual focus camera Nikon ever made that can matrix meter with all AI and AI-s lenses while also featuring A, S and M modes, as well as two P modes.

Also it has a closed loop exposure system that measures the actual light coming through the lens after the lens stops down an instant before making the exposure. This allows the camera to correct any calibration or error in the aperture mechanism of the lens.

It's analogous to the Canon A1, Olympus OM-2SP, and Pentax Super-A.

Added.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

red19fire posted:

The MX was, and probably still is, the preferred camera for mountaineering. Why? because it's all mechanical (with an independent meter as an afterthought), meaning no batteries to freeze in sub-zero mountain temperatures and revert to some crappy f/22 limp-along mode. Just know your Sunny 16 rule and you can shoot on Everest, nerds.

The MX is better than the FM2. There.

Fixed it for you. (And added your original post to the OP).

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

The d7000 does use the newer battery style though.

e. don't let that deter you, it's an amazing camera.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 24, 2012

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Doggles posted:

I'm looking to upgrade my zoom lens. Currently I have the 55-300mm DX lens and I'd like to move up to the 70-200mm 2.8 lens.

I've gotten to use the Nikon version of the lens and it's fantastic, but is there any reason not to go with the Tamron or Sigma versions considering they're less than half the price?

Quality is probably not going to be as good as the Nikon, but I haven't been able to find a review directly comparing the two.

One other thing to look for is Tamron's new lens, they just announced a 70-200 2.8 with VC (their version of VR). Might be worth waiting to see how that compares, it should be out before the end of the year.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Legitimate Pape posted:

I have a Nikon FE that's having the same problem described on Ken Rockwell's website.

My problem is similar, but a little different. If I try to use the camera in manual or auto exposure the mirror flips and "hangs." As far as I can tell the shutter curtain doesn't even move, but just the mirror. However, if I put it in M90 mode it works perfectly as an auto exposure camera. I'm sad because I've only owned this camera for a year but it is essentially mint. I bought it from a guy whose dad found it in the closet and said probably only a dozen or so roles of film were ever put through it.

Anybody ever had a similar problem? I live in the Minneapolis area and can't find a Nikon repair place that still fixes the manual focus cameras.

My FE had this issue once, I put it in manual mode and fired off 30-40 shots and it stopped doing it.

If that doesn't help replace the batteries and try again.

If that doesn't work then buy my FE.

Also m90 is not going to be doing anything with auto exposure, it's Mechanical 1/90, there's only 1 shutter speed.

e. might not be the same problem, mine would flip the mirror up and it'd sit there for a few moments before actually firing the shutter, so maybe it's a different problem?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Lord Rupert posted:

I am looking to do some more film long exposures, and I don't really want to burn through a bunch of batteries shooting in the cold. I guess I am looking for suggestions for some Nikon SLR along those lines. It would be just grand if it was either the 10 pin or the 'normal' shutter release.

I have a nikon FG and FE for sale in the buy/sell thread right now, both of which have a fully mechanical bulb mode and accept a standard cable release.

The FE will even lock up the mirror via the timer in bulb mode with no batteries installed.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Legdiian posted:

IIRC the D7000 and D5100 share the same sensor? Would I see a noticeable improvement in the autofocus department? Any difference in video modes? Does the D7000 do the same thing the D5100 does where you have to exit and re-enter live view mode when you change the aperture?

I'm pretty sure if you change the aperture in live view it'll update when you actually take the picture. Even my d5000 can do that.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Legdiian posted:

I think the issue is only when shooting video.

Hmmm. I know the d800 can do that, but the d600 can't, so I'm betting that the d7000 can't.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

So put dial in some exposure compensation, that's what the button is there for.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

BonoMan posted:

Even in regards to the D600 over exposing compared to all the other cameras set at the same settings as seen here: http://www.borrowlenses.com/blog/2012/12/is-the-canon-6d-under-exposing/ ?

I mean I get that you can compensate for it, and it's the first time I've noticed it (even though my camera is relatively new and I've barely used it), but it seems a little weird when it's overexposing compared to all the other brands at the same settings.

That link you linked is talking about bent aperture levers. Is your aperture lever bent? If yes: send it in for repair(or return it and buy a different one). If no: dial in exposure compensation.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Aramek posted:

So, I'm poor and own a D3100 because I'm firmly and forever set in the hobbyist basket of all this, and I've never owned a flash. (Speedlight? Strobe?) So, thinking ahead, I'm planning on getting one in the Spring when my tax return comes in. Was reading the Lighting thread, but, I've got a lot more to read as I'm getting lost on some of the hardware.

Because I only have the D3100 model, which lacks some features, for instance an internal AF screw, is there anything I should look for in a flash to be able to do off-body lighting? For example, I don't think mine can do wireless communication, as I had to get a corded remote to fire it that way, as the wireless one proudly stated that it wouldn't work with the D3100. :smith:

I've been working with some pretty cheap/spartan lighting. Bought one of those white diffuser umbrellas and a 20 dollar 500 watt halogen work light from a local hardware store, but, that thing gets so hot that, within a couple minutes, everything starts to smell like "heat", so, a real flash sounds like a pretty useful tool.

Digging through Amazon, the SB-700 looks pretty good, but, what other gear would I need to be able to fire this off-body? Some sort of coily cord I'd imagine that attaches to the shoe?

Does the sb-700 sync on other flashes? I know my yongnuo can use the onboard flash to trigger, so I've gotten by with setting the onboard flash to minimum power and letting the offboard flash do all the work.

Otherwise you can get cheap wireless triggers like this http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-...ireless+trigger

but i'm not sure you'll keep functionality like i-TTL though.

e. Mustket's trigger option looks much nicer in that regard.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Well, yongnuo supremacy then.

All hail our chinese flash overlords. (I love my yongnuo)

http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-YN-56...eywords=yongnuo is the one I use.

http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-YN-56...eywords=yongnuo will give you ttl but otherwise the specs don't seem as nice (longer recycle time, higher minimum power, things like that).

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Listen guys, you're over thinking it.

The field of view is simple "2*arctan(sensor dimension / (2 * focal length)). " where sensor dimension is just a length of the sensor, so say for 35mm film you could use d = 36mm.

So lets look at this, an 18mm lens that can cover FX. We have

2 * arctan ( 36mm / (2*18)) = 90 degrees (how about that!)

But what if we have an aps-c sized sensor.

2 * arctan (25mm / (2*18)) = 53.13010235415597870314438744090658934240842859929044 degrees

So the image that you get only covers a little more than half the field of view. But what if we have a 24mm lens on the FF camera.

2 * arctan ( 36mm / (2*24)) = 73.73979529168804259371122511818682131518314280141911 degrees.

So no, an 18mm lens on DX isn't quite teh same as a 24mm lens on FF.

Basically, what musket said is right, it's FoV that's an changes based on sensor size, not focal length (which is a property purely based on the lens itself).

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

:ironicat:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Musket posted:

No, let Nikon keep making lovely bridge cameras to fund FX consumer lines. If you want a fullframe compact from nikon in Fmount, get an FE and 40mm pancake or an Nikon S rangefinder. But only if that rangefinder is stamped Made in Occupied Japan, anything less is scrubtier.

Just for the record I have an FE for sale if someone wants to listen to Musket. Just go check out the buy/sell thread!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I only either use k-mount lenses or G lenses on my film bodies

:ohdear:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Musket posted:

That sweet f/22.

N75 supremacy (even VR works)

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

a foolish pianist posted:

I'd recommend this 35mm lens:

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-35mm-1-8G-Digital-Cameras/dp/B001S2PPT0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355687619&sr=8-1&keywords=nikon+35

It's a great lens - no zoom, but a useful field of view and great low light performance. It's a DX lens, so it won't cover the full sensor with full-frame cameras, but those are probably fairly far in the future for your girlfriend is this will be her first non-kit lens.

For more portrait-type work, this kind of lens would be better:

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-50mm-NI...ords=nikon+50mm

It's a narrower field of view, but some people like it a lot.

Wider lenses, like you might want for landscapes, tend to be a little out of your price range.

EDIT: Maybe I got your meaning wrong when you said long distance stuff. If she likes shooting animals and such, then something like this 70-300:

http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Autofocus-Zoom-Lenses/1/sku-NA07999088447J?r=FE

would be perfect. I use this exact lens to shoot birds and wildlife from my kayak, and it's a good compromise between reach, quality, and weight.

I'd recommend the Tamron 70-300 VC over that nikon. Similar price point but all the reviews I've seen say that the Tamron preforms better. I love my 70-300 VC. http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-70-300...amron+70-300+vc

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

SoundMonkey posted:

The 90mm is a macro lens, but it can do anything any other 90mm lens can do - portraits, medium-telephoto, it's still pretty versatile for a fixed focal length.

The 70-300's "macro" mode is absolute bullshit (in every case) and really just means "can focus kinda close, I guess".

EDIT: In terms of portraits I think both the 60 and 90 would be great, most of the portrait stuff I do is at 110-150mm, so 90 is by no means too long (you might have to step back a couple steps, as someone else said).

The tamron 70-300 that everyone's been talking about (the VC model) doesn't have a macro mode, you're thinking of the cheaper one they make (which is pretty eh although not terrible I suppose). Wouldn't consider it if you can afford the VC model though.

I mean it's not a fast lens, but hell, the VC works well enough that you can handhold 1/20 shots at 300mm:

DSC_0513.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

After more expirimentation it turns out it does do Auto ISO in Auto mode even if Auto ISO is turned off.

The UI is pretty stupid, because with Auto ISO turned on, I can set the ISO in a manual mode and it shows on the camera screen, but it still flashes Auto ISO on the viewfinder so it's not clear what's going on.

It seems like I should be able to adjust Auto ISO from the info menu, and not the system menu, but oh well. Between this and "Understanding Exposure" my catte photos are looking better than ever.

Please post examples, tia.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Goldmund posted:

Is there any third party battery grip that is considered better than the others?

I've always heard good things about the zeikos grips.,

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Augmented Dickey posted:

If you prefer your lenses a little softer, allow me to direct you to the Pentax megathread :smug:

THEM BE FIGHTING WORDS

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Augmented Dickey posted:

drat...nine minutes? You're losing your edge, Mr. Despair.

I was eating dinner :blush:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

DaJe posted:

I've had my D80 for about 5 years now, and it's served me pretty well. However, I've always thought about possibly upgrading to something else some day. Lately, I had someone talking to me about cameras and such, and mentioning to me how old and outdated my D80 is. I know it's a little aged, what with mine being 5 years old and all I guess, but I don't know if it's outdated. But I did start to wonder a bit, and think on it a little. I haven't been keeping up enough with camera technology is recent times, so I don't really know exactly what's good right now.

What he suggested to me, was that if I wanted to replace my D80 and get something a bit more modern, I should get a D7000. I honestly don't know if it's any better or not. I mean, I can compare the specs side by side, and see that it has some more features, and can do certain things a bit better. I have no idea of image quality though. Sure, I'd get a better picture size at 16mp compared to 10 on my D80, so that's something at least, but what about sensor quality? How does the image quality on the D7000 compare to the D80?

If I did upgrade, I'd have to try to sell my D80 for some money to help put towards whatever it is I'd get. I have no idea how much I could actually manage to get for it these days (a possible number estimate on that would be helpful). It'd feel pretty weird actually parting with it though, I've just had it for so long. The D7000 does fall within my price range, and I really couldn't afford anything more than what it costs.

Basically, I have a 5 year old D80, wondering if I should upgrade, is the D7000 a good replacement, and is it worth it for me to possibly try to replace my D80 with a D7000 or something else.

Do you use or plan to use older af-d or ai-s lenses? If the answer is no and you don't care about the other prosumer features (extra buttons and weathersealing) the d5200 is out now and should be a step above the d7000 in image quality.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Eegah posted:

The 3200 isn't a whole lot different from the 3100 apart from a higher megapixel count (14.1 vs 24.2), a better live view screen and I think a bit faster burst speed (4fps vs 3fps). I've had my 3100 for two years now and it's served me perfectly well, even if I am looking for an upgrade now. Basically I think it comes down to whether or not the extra 100 quid is worth having 70% more room for cropping, which will depend on what you shoot (it is in my case as I mostly shoot dogs playing, which is drat near like bird watching when it comes down to little Chihuahuas).

The 5100 just got an upgrade (the 5200), which is why it's at a discount. Its pixel count is similar to the 3100.

----

All this macro talk reminds me that I have this here bellows thingamabober laying around somewhere:

My dad gave it to me, he's probably had it since the 70s and I don't think he used it. I made a couple test shots when I first got it...

But it's so damned frustrating to use I more or less gave up.

Stop the lens down (shoot at f/16 or f/22 or something) and use a flash (ideally not teh onboard flash, it won't really have the reach), it'll make it less frustrating.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Go find a copy of http://www.amazon.com/Understanding...anding+exposure (buy it, check it out from the library, whatever).

Nikon still hosts the manual for it too, it's pretty useful to read as well. http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/archive/F3.pdf

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

SoundMonkey posted:

You actually can, just not very precisely. Set aperture with lens mounted normally, hit DoF preview, look at roughly how big the aperture is, reverse mount it, press on the aperture tab until it looks about the same.

Not an exact science, but it's possible.

You can do that with any lens.

The 50mm 1.8D does have the aperture ring, but I don't think it has a focus motor. If you're going to reverse mount I'd say to just get a cheap manual focus 50mm off of ebay or something, having an actual ring is real handy.

M42 lenses with the auto/manual switch are nice too, set the aperture to what you want, look through the viewfinder, and then flick it the lever and it'll stop down to whatever ring you have it set to. Same idea, but with less "winging it".

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Meh, that's nothing.

I saved with layers embedded for that one so I could go back later. The flatted tif is only 800 megs. I'm sure an LF guy will come in here and shame this too if they want.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Hell, I use an epson 4490 even for 120 film. It's good enough for a casual shooter.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

BonoMan posted:

So my D600 has a masssssive amount of oil on the sensor. Doesn't show up in much stuff we've shot since I rarely go above F8, but I noticed it on a shoot the other day (luckily not for any footage we needed).

What's the best way to go about cleaning this? Myself? I've never cleaned a sensor before so that makes me a little nervous. The local camera place claims they don't clean full frame sensors so the only other option is to send it off somewhere which seems cost prohibitive.

Probably these would be your best bet.

http://www.amazon.com/Sensor-Swab-Type-Box-12/dp/B0029WUKVG

You'll want some eclipse cleaning solution probably too.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Sell the f3 and buy the d5000 I have for sale, it'll do all your fancy pants stuff. :colbert:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I replied to your pm and pointed you to my post in the buy/sell thread. And I have to say that when in full manual mode I can control everything vital (iso, aperture, shutter speed) without going into any menus.

Remapping the fn button to control ISO and figuring out the aperture control shortcut comes in real handy though, it's not really intuitive out of the box.

That and every camera I've held has that same "cheap plastic feel", even the higher end ones. It's just the way they coat cameras nowadays.

The weight/size of the camera seems to be the bigger difference than me (with a d3xxx being smaller than a d5xxxx being smaller than a d7xxxx, etc).

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 8, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Shampoo posted:

Oh, you manage to keep it if you never buy a flash :smug:

Mine was missing for months before I bought a flash.

Stop babying your camera.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

The eos-3 seems go go for around 1-200 bucks from a quick look, so for an equal price that'd probably get you an f100 or an f4s body. If he doesn't need all the bells and whistles you could find something like an N75/F75 for much cheaper and still have a quality camera.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Brosnan posted:

I ran a forum search but didn't see any mention of this, but does anyone have any purchasing experience or secondhand knowledge of mellodigital.com? I'm looking to pick up my first real flash for my D7000, and their prices seem to be substantially better than anything else I'm seeing online, to the point that it seems mildly suspicious: http://www.mellodigital.com/productdetail.asp?productid=4591

But, of course, if I could not pay $300+ for an SB-700, that would be great.

5 seconds of googling tells me that they're a shady site known for bait and switch sells or railroading customers into buying accessories. If you don't want to pay 300+ buy a used SB-700 or just buy a yongnuo and shoot manual.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Birding always worked better for me with single point focus on my d5000.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Hmm, My first bet if you're looking at the micron scale would be to look at a microscope, but that's probably a bit of overkill, plus I'm not sure you'd be able to focus on something 6" away.

I'd probably look into getting a set of bellows instead of extension tubes, they'll give you a lot more flexibility, other than that I'm not sure. If you start getting more resolution you're probably going to start losing DoF.

But really, that 6" working distance is probably going to be the limiting factor. A canon mp-e would get you down to 100 micron pretty easily from what I've read online, and a good reversed prime lens on the bellows can probably get close too, maybe a microscope element at the end like some people in the macro thread were doing (I believe people were stacking photos like mad though, probably can't do that with an action shot!). With any of those you're probably looking at less than 6" of working distance though. Is the 6" the distance from the thing reacting to the window, or from the window to the closest you can get to the box?

Also if the window is made of crappy glass/plastic that could make things harder to resolve too.

Might also want to consider using an ND filter instead of stopping way down on the lens, depending on whether DoF or diffraction is giving you more issues (if you're stopping down to f/22 you're going to likely be losing some detail in exchange for getting more in focus).

e. to be clear if you're reverse mount a lens onto the bellows you're probably going to want to reverse mount something wider than the 100mm, If I remember right my pentax 67 75mm/4.5 lens reverse mounted gave me about 6" of working distance but I'm not sure I got down to 100 microns of resolution either. I knew I should have photographed my calibration slide while I was at it. :|

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Krelas posted:

Would I be correct in assuming this is not worth the money to get repaired?

drat, that's gnarly. Is it functional at all apart from the flash?

p.s. nice pentax