Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm about to pull the trigger on a D600 from Amazon because they have a nice $200 off + LowePro Fastpack 350/32gig Card/$50 credit to some tutorial site for free deal going on.

Is there any sort of trend of DSLR Black Friday deals? The Amazon deal seems to be sort of a "Black Friday Week" thing (I think...it's hard to pin down) and I'm okay with the price, but don't want to get burned a day later if there's some sort of deal I'm about to miss out on. But I also don't want to miss out by waiting too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Digital Jesus posted:

Is the D600's 28-85 kit lens any good? I'm thinking I'll just get the body and buy glass separately unless the kit lens is quality. I know the 5Dmk2 still comes with a 24-105 f4L for similar money and that's a nice lens.

I actually meant to ask this question too...the quality of the included lens.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Thanks for all the info! Seems like I'd be better off getting the body (which still comes with great discounts) and some glass from KEH.

I'm primarily video and we have several sets of Zeiss CP.2 at our disposal, but I'd like to have a decent 24-85 lens to carry around too.

I'm guessing since I'm doing video primarily I'd need one with vibration reduction?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

1st AD posted:

I do mostly video, but I don't own a single VR lens. Use a tripod or some kind of rig.

You really don't even need VR for video on anything under 85mm (on full frame). That being said, having a few stops of VR on a kit lens can help overcome having a slow f/5.6 on the long end when taking photos.

This is good to know. We have quite a few jibs and tripods so that's no problem. No handheld DSLR rig though but that's coming soon. Glad to know I don't need VR. I'll just grab the body and some used glass.

Since I'm doing video stuff manually and want manual iris and focus...what type of lenses should I be looking for? I'm not quite familiar with Nikon's naming convention.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

1st AD posted:

Your best bet are the old AI-S lenses. There's a pretty decent throw on those so you won't have to worry about having a light touch with your follow focus. The 50 1.4 AI-S is one of the best kit lenses ever - I have one that came from 1978 or so from a Nikon FE kit and the lens is super sharp after f2 and looks very pleasant. Here's a video I shot primarily with that lens:

https://vimeo.com/51188739

I also love the more expensive but equally awesome 35 and 85 1.4 AI-S lenses. Get those three and then an ultra-wide zoom like the Sigma 17-35 2.8-4 and you're pretty much good to go for most shooting.

If you HAVE to get a modern lens you can get any AF-D lenses, those have an aperture ring (for the moment you'll have to have these over the G lenses, because until Nikon releases their firmware update the D600 can't change aperture while in LiveView or movie mode). But beware, these have a super short throw. My 35 f/2 goes from zero to infinity in about a 1/3 turn of the focus ring.

Thanks for all this info!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
There isn't some market for crappy knock-offs is there? As I'm sort of going through a crash course in educating myself about Nikon's lens history and looking on eBay, etc...I want to make sure I don't get suckered in to buying some crappy knock-off.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
How is Nikon with firmware updates? The only single thing that's making me hesitant about the D600 at the moment, and it's not a huge huge thing, is the 60fps at 720p only. Is there hopes of that bumping up to 60@1080 in the future?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

a foolish pianist posted:

I don't think that's a firmware update kind of upgrade.

Eh I don't see why not. I mean, obviously I don't know the ins and outs of the system, but there have been similar style "unlocked potential" upgrades from other firmwares across lots of products.

Sometimes it's locked intentionally to force products into a tiered strategy (intentionally gimping a product feature) and sometimes it's just something that has to be figured out at a later date (software engineering wise).

Not sure about Nikon's history with that sort of thing though, so that's what sparked my initial question.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

1st AD posted:

There hasn't been a single firmware hack that has enabled higher framerates. That kind of thing is limited by the on-board processing hardware.

Thanks, that's the answer I was looking for. Sucks, but oh well... I can live with it. Hopefully in the future, I'll be able to grab something I can use specifically for slow motion.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

1st AD posted:

If you really need 1080p60, consider the Sony A99. Same sensor as the D600, but it has a flip out LCD and in-camera stabilization.

That being said, the images that come out of the D600 seem to have a certain mojo. Nikon definitely prioritized dynamic range and the images just look better to me, but you might be happier with an A99.

Nah I'm really not too concerned about it. Just was the last thing on my mind. Plus I like the idea of building a kit of old rear end Nikkor lenses.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Welp. D600 ordered. Time to jump on eBay and grab some AI-S lenses. Anybody have some here they are looking to sell?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

krooj posted:

Adding to this, and out of curiosity: how is the 35mm 1.4 AI-S? They run around $500 on eBay, which is significantly less than any other new fast prime at that focal length.

Good job on the D600 - it takes fantastic pics. How do you feel about the body size?

Well I haven't actually held it yet..ordered it from Amazon. I'm primarily using it for video so I'm eyeing those 35/1.4 ai-s' as well. If you get one before me, lemme know how it is!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

krooj posted:

Interesting - I don't do any video, but I remember overhearing something about how the D600 won't do automatic aperture adjustment while filming video. Supposedly, you have to step up to the D800 for that feature. Did you checkout the Panasonic GH3? It's just been released, so I'm not sure if it's widely available, but is supposed to do video _very_ well. Dunno squat about m4/3 lenses, though.

Yeah there is no auto aperture in Live View mode, but that doesn't bother me. I'm very used to, and prefer, manual focusing and aperture when shooting. This is for short films and various "can't justify using the RED for" stuff at my agency. That's why I'm seeking out the older AI-S lenses (via advice in this thread)...because I don't need no fancy modern eeelectronics!

As far as the GH3...I did go back and forth very heavily between the two. Talked to 1st AD about it. Ultimately having a full frame sensor PLUS being able to use old cheaper lenses won out. We also have lots of friends around here with prime sets for nikons and other gear that we can borrow a lot, so my options were just wider open with the D600.

edit: Now the live view aperture change IS something that can maybe be upgraded in the future via firmware correct? (as opposed to my 1080p@60 dream which was crushed).

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

evil_bunnY posted:

Can yes, will no. I don't think Nikon's ever added features via firmware updates ever, and it's only there to artificially segment their models, there's no technical reason behind it.

Ouch. Yeah that's what I was saying when talking about fixing the frame-rate (although that is apparently an actual hardware limitation and not intentional gimping). Oh well.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
My D600 came in. So excited. Now I'm just waiting on the lenses to arrive. Plus the memory cards that apparently fell out of the box during shipping. Thanks UPS!

So right now I'm just reading up on the manual and charging the battery. Which reminds me...is there anything to pay attention to when charging the battery? I left it charging overnight and forgot to take it out this morning before I left for work. I know some folks always recommend not "over charging" batteries in general, but I've never been able to get a definitive answer on that.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

evil_bunnY posted:

The cards can only fall if the guy packing them was retarded. Tape's cheap.

All modern nikons come with smart chargers: when the battery's full they just stop charging (the LED will be on solid instead of blinking).

Nice thanks!

The box all the stuff came in was big (to accommodate the free Amazon Basics DSLR backpack) and one of the entire sides was disconnected at the corner (but barely hanging on from the packing tape) so I imagine it slid out there.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Still no memory card, but I got my first lens in today, the 35mm/2 AIs. Slapped that bad boy on and had a look see. My first impressions over the 30 seconds I was able to fiddle with it at lunch were:

-awesome
-the image flickers big time every time I change the stop it typically "settles" after a few seconds. Something to do with a modern camera using an older manual lens maybe?
-switching to live view in movie mode produces an almost totally black picture in normal daylight. Hmmm. I'll have to figure it out when I get back home.

It's my first DSLR so I'm sure it's just some settings I have to get used to.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

1st AD posted:

Is it actually the 35 AI-S or some other lens, like the AF-D? Modern lenses with an aperture ring will also have an electronically controlled aperture, so under default settings you would have to have the aperture stopped down to f22 (or whatever the smallest aperture is on that lens) to even begin to control the aperture.

There is a setting that disables this behavior and allows you to control the aperture via the aperture ring.

Also, make sure you are in manual mode and not aperture or shutter priority (or god forbid full auto).

Your flickering issue is weird, I've never had that issue.

I'll try those settings when I get home. I figure it's something like that.

The flickering is a little weird, but since it's an older lens it might be that. I have a friend with an AF-D up here that I can take home and compare and contrast to see if I can nail down the issue.

I'm definitely in Manual mode.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 6, 2012

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Just tried out a co-worker's 28-200 AF-D and 50/1.8 AF-D.

Hated the zoom. The 50 was okay, but no aperature in live view is definitely a lovely thing. Plus even at 1.8 it just didn't seem anywhere as fast as the old AIs 50/2. Still a little flickering on that when changing exposure although it seems to lessen.

Great image though. I have another older AIs coming tomorrow so I'll see if the flickering issue is present there. It doesn't happen with the AF-Ds at all.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

a foolish pianist posted:

Maybe the flickering is the camera closing the aperture to figure out the aperture size then quickly re-opening it?

It appears to only happen at 2.8/4/5.6 on the lens. Strange.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

1st AD posted:

You can change the aperture on any D lenses in live view:

f6 Custom Settings Menu > Controls > Customize command dials > Aperture setting
When switching this to OFF, the aperture cannot be controlled with the sub-command dial, but with the aperture ring.

On ON it would show «fEE» when manually changing the aperture with the ring – except on non-CPU lenses which are configured in Setup Menu > Non-CPU lens data.

edit: I don't like controlling the aperture with the ring while I'm shooting stills, so what I ended up doing was doing a custom configuration saved to the U1/U2 dial so that it would default to standard picture styles and CPU control of the aperture, while M would give me mechanical control over the iris and a flat picture profile.

Gotcha... I do remember you mentioning that earlier. I'm in love with this thing so far and trying to rush through my "EVERYTHING IS BEAUUUUUUUTIFULLLLLLL!" phase. I've only got about 15 bokeh pictures of my Christmas tree so far. That feels fairly restrained for a first night.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

1st AD posted:

Cat photos. Where are they?

I haveatheno cat. I do have some incredibly adorable Boston Terrier pics that I could probably find if I had archives. Or a negative scanner.

Speaking of cat pics... do you have a matte box you'd recommend or have used?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

1st AD posted:

I actually don't run around with a matte box, funny enough. I usually just put flags on C-stands if I absolutely have to. I got to borrow my friend's Redrock shoulder rig which has the matte box and follow focus - it's a bit heavy overall but the parts are all super solid and well-manufactured. It's stupidly expensive though.

Holllllly crap yeah that's expensive.

Going to have to find a cheaper solution. Mainly to utilize all our filter sets we already have. We'll throw up some c-stands and flags for lensers, but it'd be nice to have a matte box for a little more off the cuff handheld stuff.

Goddamn this is an expensive hobby.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Got my 50mm 1.4 AIs lens in today and it's defective :(. Bummer.

The aperture ring didn't seem to work, so when I took it off and fiddled with the aperture lever I determined that it will work fine between 16 and 4. But as soon as you take it up to 2.8 it won't ever go back smaller.

Oh well. At least this eBay dude accepts returns.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
My D600 is definitely overexposing like that article someone posted. At least I think it is. Taking low light pics of my wife (giggity) in our living room. My meter is balanced evenly, but the pictures definitely feel a stop or two brighter.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mr. Despair posted:

So put dial in some exposure compensation, that's what the button is there for.

Even in regards to the D600 over exposing compared to all the other cameras set at the same settings as seen here: http://www.borrowlenses.com/blog/2012/12/is-the-canon-6d-under-exposing/ ?

I mean I get that you can compensate for it, and it's the first time I've noticed it (even though my camera is relatively new and I've barely used it), but it seems a little weird when it's overexposing compared to all the other brands at the same settings. "Being able to compensate for it" doesn't seem to make it okay.

That's of course if it's just not me screwing something up, which it very well could be.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 9, 2012

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mr. Despair posted:

That link you linked is talking about bent aperture levers. Is your aperture lever bent? If yes: send it in for repair(or return it and buy a different one). If no: dial in exposure compensation.

Oh look at that! There's an update on there I hadn't seen since last time I checked (I just already had that tab opened, so I copied and pasted).

Nevermind then on my comment. I suppose it's like reading potential side effects on a medicine bottle. All of a sudden I have them all!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Musket posted:

Chances are the issue is between shutter button and the back of your skull.

Oh look.. a PEBKAC joke!

1st AD posted:

Are you shooting JPG or RAW? I think the standard curve in the JPG engine lifts the midtones a lot as a result of Nikon trying to squeeze all that dynamic range into an 8-bit codec. I've noticed this in video mode where, especially at lower ISO's, the image is way brighter than other bodies at the same settings would produce.

JPG. I'll try again tonight with RAW and see what is seems like. I tried last night using the exposure compensation button and it wasn't doing anything which is odd.

I'm very well aware most of the problems are with me learning to use a DSLR though.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
doh: double post

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Well... I was just asking for that!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Musket posted:

I honestly dont think you understand how to properly use Nikons Metering system.

Maybe not? I'm getting used to it and sort of learning on the fly. I just took a shot last night, evenly metered, and it seemed a bit overly exposed. So I just immediately took the same shot over and over with using exposure compensation button up a few stops and then down a few stops and all the shots looked the exact same. I had just come off a 18 hour day on set and was dead tired so I turned it off with "eh I'll look again tomorrow." So I'll check again in a few minutes and see what I was doing wrong. I mean I know how to do basic metering on a camera. This is my first DSLR, but I used to use an old school SLR back in the 90s and use a Red ONE pretty regularly. I know how to meter, I'm just not used to the camera.

That said, you aren't really providing any actual useful feedback. Just some snarky posts.

edit: ohhhh I see what I was doing wrong. In Live View, when you change the Exposure Adjustment, it actually changes the image on the screen, so I assumed it was changing the image I was taking... almost like an image post processing. It's just giving me a guide to help re-adjust. I see that now.

I'm so used to shooting while standing in front of a monitor in a very "what you see is what you get" matter that I have to shift gears a tad.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 10, 2012

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Legitimate Pape posted:

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/12/13/for-tonight-200-price-drop-on-the-d800-free-24-85mm-lens-with-the-purchase-of-the-d600.aspx/#more-50272

Nikon Rumors is reporting a free kit 24-85 kit lens with the purchase of a D600 body. I wonder if this is temporary or a permanent price drop?

Of course. Two weeks after I purchase mine.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
So, that Nikon deal dropped today and Amazon, after some tense negotiations, is sending me the lens free of charge.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Legdiian posted:

Just a heads up for anyone thinking about this deal, apparently it is only valid for 2 days (December 14th and 15th?)

According to the email I got directly from Nikon, it's until the 29th.

quote:

Offer valid December 14, 2012 at 12:00 A.M. ET until December 29, 2012 at 11:59 P.M.

edit: But yeah, Amazon straight up says only available until the 15th. I think the Nikon Store is the only place to get it through the 29th.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 15, 2012

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Got a nice little surprise today. I remembered my dad had some lenses that he didn't use anymore and that my brother had usurped. He ended up breaking his camera and they've been sitting in storage for a year so he just mailed them to me for my D600.

There's the 70-210 AF D, a 24/2.8 AF D and a 18-35 IF ED 3.5.

All lenses I can use!

Only they are pretty drat gross as he clearly hasn't kept them in high regard. Are there any specific tips for cleaning the lenses external housings? Things specifically not to use, etc?

I hope the optics are fine, but if not at least I didn't pay for any of it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

evil_bunnY posted:

Post pics. I just use a lightly damp cloth for the ergos/bodies, and a microfiber + prescription glass cleAning fluid I thieve from my wife for the glass. Works a treat.

Good to know, thanks!

I'll post pics when I get home. Totally excited about the wides.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Got a battery grip and the cineskates + joby gorillapod for Christmas. Pretty excited!

Also got my first opportunity to really try to take some photos. It's interesting, aka "hard as hell" to try to follow a baby around with a manual lens. Jesus.

Babbe Pics!

And yes a hand swooped in a fraction of a second later to yank that light out of her mouth.

Those were straight out of the camera. Haven't touched the RAW files and my white balance was off (a friend had borrowed the camera the day before and I took a few pics before I realized I needed to reset my settings).

edit:

Also I finally got some serious spots on my sensor from the oil or whatever that problem is. Took a couple hundred photos over the Christmas break and didn't really realize it until I looked at these two, the last two I took just as I was on my way out of North Carolina. It's really really apparent now.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 30, 2012

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Fungah posted:

I just wanted to post some anecdotal evidence about weather sealing.

I took a D600 + 24-120 f/4 up a mountain in the Swiss Alps to go snow shoeing off-piste. The outside temperature was about 0C. The camera was hanging infront of me on a blackrapid strap. I took a few tumbles and before I put it away, the lens had snow on the front element, the barrel (at the extension points) and the switches and the camera had snow on the viewfinder, the top lcd/buttons and the back buttons. I wiped off as much as I could and then put the camera in my rucksack for an hour or so. The only adverse effect I could notice was a bit of moisture/fogging in the viewfinder which went away as the camera reached room temperature again.

I am pretty impressed by both the camera and the lens. I understand that both are supposed to be "weather sealed" (indeed the D600 is supposed to be to the same standard as the D800 according to Nikon) but its never really clear to what extend they can be roughed up.

I had mine out all day in light to medium rain today and all was good. We're shooting a music video on Red and supplementing some of the shots with D600 footage, and I had it out in the rain a bit (yay production insurance). Everything went swimmingly.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I was testing a co-worker's old 50mm 1.4 AI (no "s"... blue max aperture marking) on my D600 and it mounted fine, but when I take a pic there's a slight resonance noise and I feel like the camera jiggles ever so slightly. So I looked at the lens while I snapped a pic and it definitely wiggles a hair when I take a pic. What's causing this? It takes some nice images so I'd like to have it as a backup, but not if it's going to damage my camera by being on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Awesome, thanks for all the info. This thread is awesome as usual!