Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
I'd like to make note of a seldom mentioned Nikon camera with a unique feature set.

The Nikon FA
It's the only manual focus camera Nikon ever made that can matrix meter with all AI and AI-s lenses while also featuring A, S and M modes, as well as two P modes.

Also it has a closed loop exposure system that measures the actual light coming through the lens after the lens stops down an instant before making the exposure. This allows the camera to correct any calibration or error in the aperture mechanism of the lens.

It's analogous to the Canon A1, Olympus OM-2SP, and Pentax Super-A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

SoundMonkey posted:

Is this the one that's absurdly cheap for no discernable reason? Because if so, I used to own that lens, and were it not for some financial difficulties at the time I still would. Optically it's good, if not amazing, but lightning-fast AF and generally awesome quality make it a great buy if you can find one.

Am I the only one who's increasingly beginning to like old film body kit lenses on crop bodies? It's not QUITE as convenient a focal range as the traditional 18-55, but I've been finding it's nice to have the extra bit on the long end, and 24/28mm is still moderately wide on the other end.

Also in response to your wrong-opinions post in the old thread, there is ONE more-expensive-kit-lens that would be a legitimate upgrade - if you have the 18-55, consider the 18-55 VR. The VR is great, it's not very expensive, and it's just a good lens for the price.

I hear the 28-70 AF-D 3.5-4.5 is also very good for the <100 you will pay for one.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Also, don't buy Cameras at Best Buy. Support your local speciality stores.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

D600 + 24-85mm for $1999 starting tomorrow in Canada.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

BonoMan posted:

My god the moire on the D600 at 720p/60 is insane. The same shot at 1080/24 is mostly fine. What's the science behind this? Resolution? Frame rate?

Poor downsampling

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

echobucket posted:

I shoot a D80 and D90, and I have a Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8. I was shooting some deer at a state park the other day and kind of wished I had a little more reach, so I was thinking about getting a teleconverter. Since my 70-200 is already a Tamron, I was leaning towards the tamron teleconverters, so my big question is 1.4x or 2x? Anyone have an experience with these? I've also heard people talk about the cheap Kenko telecoverters.

Obviously the nikon ones are the best, but I would feel silly putting an expensive nikon TC on my inexpensive Tamron zoom.

Is it silly though? If you ever upgrade that lens, I'll bet you'll wish that you had bought the Nikon version.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

SoundMonkey posted:

Counterpoint: the Tamron ones are like fifty dollars and don't have weird deliberate lens incompatibility issues. Although the Nikon ones are probably a bunch better.

Counter-counterpoint: I have no idea what I am talking about, so there's that.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Jahoodie posted:

Maybe I'm funny, but at a certain point I just keep an old digital camera rather than sell it. You're basically fine with the D80 now, is it worth tossing up on Ebay and getting less than $200 for it (minus fees, minus shipping, ect)?

I kept my D50 for a give no crap camera, and sometimes I use it to set up a photo booth at parties. To me I have more photo-fun running it into the ground rather than get a few bills for it.

I really regret selling my Rebel 300d for this reason.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

They have a MILC range, it just happens to have stupid sensors.

Canon's MILCs use APS-C sensors, but the AF performance is atrocious. Which is more of a problem now, but easier to change than sensor size.

I don't think the Nikon entry level 24x36 DSLRs are so much better than Canon/Sony. There's just no reason for the 5d3 to be that much more money.

It's worth noting that the two entry level crop DSLRs from Canon use sensors from 2008 (t3) and 2009 (t4i), while the Nikon entry level DSLRs were both updated last year with amazing high DR, high iso, 24mp sensors. Canon better have some amazing new sensor tech coming out this year.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

K rock isn't that bad for succinct real world reviews. At least I can read a krock review in a minute compared to a 23 page dpreview piece of crap.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

I was in the exact same spot, and ended up getting a J1, although now I wish I would have gotten the V1 with how marked down they are and how seldom my wife uses the onboard flash (never). My mom got a V1 and it has a fantastic build.

My thought process was really similar to yours: m43 too pricey, p&s too lovely, NEX too big.

So, it was between a J1 and some high-end point and shoots like the x10 and s100. The J1 kit wound up being cheaper than both, and also has a bigger sensor than both. The AF is lighting fast, 10/60 fps shooting modes, and even with the kit is very small. I also bought her the 18.5mmf1.8 lens, and it's very good.

Come caveats are: sometimes wonky auto white balance, no dedicated dials for anything useful, crappy menus etc. Also, the JPGs get muddy at higher ISOs. But still better than any P&S.

Overall A++ would buy again. N1 system is terribly underrated.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

snuffles posted:

Anyone have some experience with the Voigtländer 40mm f/2? I'm trying to decide between it and the 35mm f/1.4 AIS which I've already tried (and loved). I'll be getting both eventually but I'm leaving for a holiday in a few weeks and can only pick up one; mostly going to be used with a D600 but on occasion an FM2.

Buy a samyang 35mmf1.4 instead.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Klogdor posted:

Also, I'm terrible at saving up.

I feel you there bro.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Remo posted:

I saw some charts where people test the actual ISO vs the stated ISO of cameras, and there are some cameras which have slight deviations. E.g. the camera's 12,800 ISO ends up being only 10,000 ISO. Basically its the manufacturer fudging the numbers. Not very noticeable in real life generally though.

According to DXO, some cameras are off by more than a full stop. Nikons are generally accurate.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

What's considered inaccurate? I just took a look at the D800 and it seems to miss the mark quite a bit, unless I'm reading the chart incorrectly:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Camera-Sensor-Database/Nikon/D800

Not that I care too much about what synthetic camera benchmarks say (I know the D800 is a great camera), I'm just curious if this is still considered quite good for this test.

Well, everything's relative. Last time I was 'spergin over these charts I didn't include a Canon, so I included one below and what do you know: it's more accurate than the Nikon. Anyways, when I said Nikon were accurate, I meant compared to some other cameras I saw such as the OM-D below, which is over one stop slower than advertised. Also, a completely different site said the line of Fuji mirrorless were a stop slower than rated also, so I think it's a fairly common practice to over rate your sensors.

Overall, when shooting in any mode other than manual, it won't matter, other than maybe getting a slower shutter speed than you expected. And even shooting manual, you'd be chimping on the LCD and making adjustments as necessary.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

I keep trying to find a simple way of explaining this, but I'll try....

While keeping your subject the same size in the frame, the longer focal length "magnifies" the background. The result is out of focus areas appear even more out of focus as there are less background elements in your shot, even though technically the background elements are not "more" out of focus at the same aperture.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

SoundMonkey posted:

Does Nikon even make one of these, or do you mean the 70-210 f/4? If so, I used to have that lens, it owned hard.

It's new and apparently really good.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

1st AD posted:

So I guess Nikon is releasing a D610...I can't for the life of me tell what's actually different about it from the D600.

Better weather sealing, 0.5 fps increase, rumored processor upgrade (less likely), and the main reason for it all: revised shutter assembly with no oil and dust issues (hopefully).

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Musket posted:

Also, FM2 digital rumor with D4 guts, and will use Fmount. Eat poo poo Sony A7.

If this is true, I will die of happiness.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Hybrid might refer to a hybrid viewfinder, otherwise I'll just chalk it up to "lost in translation"

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Jimmy Thief posted:

It will look neat and go well with my fixie and giant novelty beard.

If wanting a compact, metal, full frame SLR with knobs makes me a hipster, then so be it.

Also don't hipster-shame.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

My wallet...:negative:

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

I see the appeal. Smaller, more rugged body with tactile controls. More manageable RAW size. More fps than d800. EVF/OVF sexiness.

I'm not turned off at 3k but that's definitely reaching my limit.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

copen posted:

That nikon DF looks sweet and I would love to go with one but isn't it going to be manual focus or do we know? I would have to replace all my autofocus lenses then. also money..

It's going to have AF and be over 2k.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Still too many buttons but I WANT.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Phase One should release a camera styled like a 4x5 view camera.

Pure Photography

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

I like the setting on the shutter dial that isn't auto mode but simply "ignore this dial let me use the command wheel" (1/3 step). Also a mildly redundant PASM dial.

Also enjoying the dedicated BKT, i, info, and QUAL buttons. Hmm, HDMI out yet no video (really?)

Ok it's not perfect. Ok it's sorta far from perfect. But it's a nice change from the norm. I was really hoping there would be something special in the viewfinder for manual lenses, but turns out that's not true either (standard d800 focusing screen).

At 2800 it's not for me. Wish it was less :(

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Also, apparently you need to push the shutter selector lock every time you turn the dial, like a Canon 60D.

Christ what a mess.

At the very least, it's the D4 sensor in a tight little package, which isn't all bad. Needs to be sub-2000 though.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

a foolish pianist posted:

I mean, if they're going to leave video out entirely for philosophical reasons, a split prism should definitely have gone in.

And while they were at it, the HDMI could have been left out too.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

I don't think getting too many pictures from the "cameras around the world" project is a problem we're going to have to deal with.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

emotive posted:

Is the D600 really as good as it sounds on paper? I have a Canon 60D now but I'm considering going full frame and it sounds like a hell of a deal for the price... I would go with a 5D MKII or a 6D but the autofocus is lacking and I do a lot of automotive/track stuff, so I'd likely have to buy a 7D as well if I went that route (which wouldn't be a bad idea regardless to have the extra reach).

I'm a little concerned having never shot Nikon and I'd have to sell all of my canon lenses, but it may be worthwhile if it's really THAT good.

The D600/610 is the best DSLR short of a MK3, and even that has some give and take. Yup I said it.
The AF points are kinda frustratingly tight in the center of the viewfinder, but if you're shooting racing you can take advantage of a very cool 3d tracking mode that will help you keep the car in focus after locking into it with the center point.

I was 100% convinced I was going to switch to Nikon, but when the time came I ended up staying with Canon because of the fantastic video, low light, and AF (for field sports) of the Mk3.

Don't get a (new) 7D. It's a seriously old camera and while the AF is pretty good, the sensor is outdated, and you will be looking to upgrade to full frame eventually anyways.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Also no AA filter on the 7100.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

So traditionally, DSLR's have an Anti-Aliasing filter in front if the sensor. It slightly softens the image to avoid digital artifacts like moire and false color on fine details.

It was considered a requirement on lower megapixel sensors with big chunky pixels, but nowadays with the very high MP count and densely packed photosites, you can get away without one 99.9% of the time. So no AA filter will give you a shaper image at the expense of some situations (maybe a screen door at a specific distance) producing moire.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

SybilVimes posted:

... which can easily be fixed in software the 1 in 100 times it happens.

Most moire is caused by poor resizing, sharpening, and RAW processing anyways.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Canon FD lenses definitely don't mount to Nikon F without corrective optics (which are universally terrible please don't look into this).

However you totally can mount Nikon F lenses to both Canon FD and EF bodies with cheap glassless adapters from eBay if you're ever inclined to do so.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

For what it's worth a lot of nikons have manual focus and will work with those lenses. I think everything up from the baseline 3xxx series can autofocus them.

wat

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Quote from myself in the OP

quote:

The Nikon FA
It's the only manual focus camera Nikon ever made that can matrix meter with all AI and AI-s lenses while also featuring A, S and M modes, as well as two P modes.

Also it has a closed loop exposure system that measures the actual light coming through the lens after the lens stops down an instant before making the exposure. This allows the camera to correct any calibration or error in the aperture mechanism of the lens.

It's analogous to the Canon A1, Olympus OM-2SP, and Pentax Super-A.

FE2s are cool too I guess.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

The 7100 has the beastly 51 point FX AF system spread over the DX image area...it's pretty sweet.

But the 7000 is a solid camera still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

e: all the people hating on the Df probably have little to nothing bad to say about the leica M9 or equivalent which is just as niche.

It's not that the df is too niche, it's that the df missed the niche. The M9 (and friends) are 100% on point as digital M rangefinders, where the Df totally missed the point and the opportunity to be a digital F(3/A/M/E or whatever ).