Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

1st AD posted:

So. When are they going to address the sensor dust issue? :argh:

It'll probably take a while if they do at all, and once they do, it'll take a month long trip to Nikon for the fix. Nikon USA's service isn't that great. Lensrentals has some really interesting info on repair rates and times from various manufacturers: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/09/lensrentals-repair-data-january-july-2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Another reason to possibly go Tamron is that they've instituted a new repair policy where they'll just ship you another lens if they can't fix it in 3 days. The big 70-200 2.8s are somewhat delicate so saving some money and having better repair support might be nice. We'll have to wait and see how it turns out, but the 24-70 2.8 VC turned out pretty good so there's a decent chance this will be too.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The matrix metering on my D800 seems to overexpose somewhat regularly compared to the 5dII it replaced. It's also harder for me to predict when I'll need to dial in compensation than it was on the 5D, though part of that is probably due to me being a long time Canon user still getting used to Nikon's system.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Edit: ^^^^ The 700 does do wireless slave to normal flashes. It's called SU-4 mode for some reason. ^^^^^

I don't know if I'd spring for the 700 if you can't use CLS. I mean, I have one and it's great, but the Yongnuo stuff is half the price and probably just as good for most uses. There are a whole bunch of wireless options out there that'll work at better ranges and more situations than CLS anyway.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is a bit late, but my Tamron 90mm 2.8 definitely requires a screw drive. It's a few models old from KEH—the new ones should have focus motors. I specifically had to look for an older one to get the screw drive (which I wanted for reasons I can't remember.)

It's a great lens on the D800 though. Can't believe how nice it is considering the price.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Aramek posted:

vvv Oh, well. Kinda bummed now. Oh well, it was a gift, I guess. It just seems I'll be using this thing a lot less than I had hoped.

Shooting all manual with flash really isn't that hard to learn. Put the camera in manual, dial in an exposure that looks good on your viewfinder's exposure meter, and then dial the flash up or down. There are more nuances than that, but the basics are pretty easy to get the hang of. I have an SB910 and an SB700 and both are almost always in manual mode.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crop_factor

Your 50mm is like an 80mm on a full frame camera, which probably doesn't mean anything to you if you're that much of a newbie. Basically, your sensor is seeing a smaller part of the image coming out of the lens, which makes the resulting photo seem more zoomed in. But it doesn't really matter if that zoominess works for you. It only matters if you're looking through the lens thinking, gee whiz, I wish I could fit more stuff into this shot.

50mm on a full frame lens is what many people call a "normal" focal length. That means it's the zoominess you'd expect if you were in the situation looking at stuff with your eyeballs. For full frame, normal is 50mm. For DX like your camera, it's 30mm. For a medium format it's more like 80mm. For many people, a normal lens is the most versatile prime for day to day stuff. But that's totally dependent on personal preference and what you're shooting.

edit: aaaand beaten.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BANME.sh posted:

I noticed the 50mm has a very "zoomed in" look, but everywhere I read said that 50mm lenses are the most natural looking so I figured that's normal. Though that's not true for a crop sensor camera like mine? And I'd get a better "natural" look from a ~30mm (35mm?) lens instead? It's not a huge deal, I'd just like to know what's going on. Thanks for the replies.

I do sometimes :sigh:

Yeah, 50mm is the most natural on FX. 30mm is the most natural on DX. Lucky for you, Nikon has a fantastic 35mm 1.8dx lens that'd be a great addition to your 50.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's nothing wrong with continuing to use the 50 if it's doing pretty well though. Even with a 35 you'd going to have moments where you wish you could squeeze more into the shot. You may also be able to straight up trade your 50 for a 35DX from someone who's moving to full frame since the 35DX isn't super useable on FX.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For the vast majority of casual shooting I'd way rather do fast prime + available light than gently caress with a flash.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tusen Takk posted:

Do the controls get easier to get to/manipulate with the higher level cameras? Between the cost of the DSLR's and the inability to be able to change things on the fly, I'd say it's almost easier to just learn how to take a proper photograph with the F3 and keep that, though the lack of RAW and dealing with Walgreens picture discs will be sad sad. Unless there's a really cheap negative scanner...

Higher level cameras have two dials instead of one, and generally more dedicated controls. It does make everything easier on the fly. Just compare the controls of a d3100 with something like a D800 and you'll see how many more controls there are. Obviously jumping to a D800 probably isn't an option, but the level of control is similar what you have on an F3 and there are plenty of cheaper options that still have the "pro" controls.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Eh, I'd say the opposite if you're just experimenting and don't know what you want. Why drop $300 on an SB700 when you can get a decent yongnuo for, what, $80? If you DO decide you're into the strobes enough to want an SB700 or 910 or whatever, the Yongnuo will still be useful. On the other hand, if you decide you want something else, like studio strobes or just manual battery flashes, you'll have saved $220. It just seems weird to test the waters with one of the more expensive options available.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yes, and you can use it as a CLS commander for other Nikon flashes.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

evil_bunnY posted:

I want a 35 really bad. I'm used to daily-carrying a 50/1.8, and really don't feel like going up to a 1,5 pound lens. In addition I require modern features like auto aperture (!) and AF (!!!).

Any of you use a 35/2D on a modern FX camera?

It's one of my favorite lenses on the D800. Manual focus on any of the screw drive lenses is sucky, but for everything else it's pretty swell. Especially since you can get them for sortof cheap used.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Having a weird issue with my D800.

Sometimes during when I'm recording movies during live view, the screen will give a weird flash that looks either like a still frame sortof filling the screen differently, maybe with some pink bands of blockiness. I never noticed it till before but I've also been shooting a lot of video recently. It's so fast I thought it was in my head for a while, but now it's happened enough times that I'm sure it's real. Has anyone else encountered something like this? I don't want to send it back and wait a month for Nikon to tell me they couldn't find anything.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone here have experience with the 85mm f2 AI? They're pretty cheap on KEH and I was thinking of picking one up.

In other news: I'm selling a 70-200 2.8 VRII in the buy/sell thread if anyone's interested.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Another note in Tamron's favor is that they apparently have put a lot of work into making their warranty service better, while Nikon's (in the US) is not so hot even if you were buying new. Check out lensrentals' repair data and return times: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/09/lensrentals-repair-data-january-july-2012

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've never used the AIS 50 1.4 so I can't compare directly, but I just picked up a 105mm f2.5 and it's both really nice and crazy cheap. Mine was $105 from KEH. So, if it doesn't work out, you're not out a whole lot.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I haven't used the 105 much for video yet but will be on upcoming projects. If there's anything I could send you a quick clip of to get a sense for the lens on video lemme know. My only issue with it so far is that the focus ring is a little stiff.

Not a super exciting shot and it's at f4, but here's a full res, minimally processed sample with studio lights: http://jonhustead.smugmug.com/photos/i-PXftXST/2/O/i-PXftXST.jpg

Don't have anything other than snapshot wide open:

http://jonhustead.smugmug.com/Other/D800-Tests/i-8XLbL7g/0/O/_JON9641.jpg

http://jonhustead.smugmug.com/Other/D800-Tests/i-npLDB7N/0/O/_JON9626.jpg

http://jonhustead.smugmug.com/Other/D800-Tests/i-NM5QmT2/0/O/_JON9601.jpg

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just picked up one of those. The materials are nice and I think it's well engineered, but I prefer BlackRapid's system in most situations and wish I would have just gotten another one of those instead.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't have the 70-200 VRII anymore, but with the VR on I could get down to about 1/40 1/60 at 200mm and still get decent shots if I ripped off two or three frames in a row.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just rented a 70-200 f4 for a shoot and I reeeeally like it a lot. I'm thinking of buying a used copy off fredmiranda or somewhere. It's super light compared to the 2.8 and the extra foot or so closer MFD makes a big difference in the stuff I like to shoot.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I still use a shoulder strap on mirrorless stuff. Do you alway keep the camera in your hand or something?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Some of the retina reflex lenses can actually adapt to Nikon mount. I was surprised to discover this as it doesn't seem like you can adapt anything to Nikon. Haven't had a chance to try it with my dad's retina reflex lenses but I'd love to see those shiny Schneider lenses on a modern DSLR.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I guess I should clarify and say that I've seen adapters that claim to focus to infinity from Rainbow Imaging and Fotodiox, but I don't have any first or secondhand experience on whether they actually work.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Paul MaudDib posted:

They're probably optical adapters, they have like a 1.1x teleconverter built in to get infinity focus.

The register distance of Retina Reflex is 44.7mm, the register distance of Nikon F is 46.5mm, so the answer to whether Retina Reflex can be mounted on Nikon with infinity focus is a straightforward "no".

http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin/misc/mounts-by-register.html

e:

Ding ding ding. Winner.

I'm bit saying your wrong on the adapter bit being workable, but the two adapters I looked at were clearly not optical. The descriptions must just be wrong about maintaining infinity focus.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looks like it does recess or something, found a few posts about people adapting to Nikon and this guy mentions the lens hitting the mirror at infinity: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=54503

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
New rumors say that it does have a hybrid optical EVF viewfinder, and that it will have video mode after all, just not when it's in some special low power mode.

Edit: if it does have video, an EVF, and fixes the crazy soft video issues on the D4 I might buy one.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I posted an update once I found a thread from someone who actually had one of the adapters. They had a Schneider 135 on a D700 and said that the back of the lens impacts the mirror at infinity focus. Too bad, I was kindof excited about trying it.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have trouble believing that the DF really earns its keep, whether in comparison to Nikon's own cameras or the many excellent mirrorless systems available right now. Having the D4's low light capability is interesting, but not enough to warrant spending an extra $1000 over a D600 in my mind. I'm also wondering what "sins" its competitors have committed?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nikon says it's the same sensor on their Df page. Whatever's giving it an edge in low light stuff on DxOMark must be elsewhere in the pipeline—unless Nikon is leaving something out about changes to the sensor for some reason.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yaaaay. I love the poo poo out of my 35mm f2 for its teeny-ness and close focus distance, but I'd love to have the AF-S motor and some nicer optics.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I actually really like the cheapo 105mm 2.5 on my D800. You don't need a D800 to see that it's not a spectacular lens optically, but I keep the 35mm f2 on mine most of the time. The 50mm 1.8G is excellent and cheap in the newer lenses.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I picked up a screw drive Tamron 90mm off KEH and have been very happy with it. Most of my shots in this gallery are with it: http://jonhustead.smugmug.com/Other/Bugs/i-k59f2NK (there are a couple with an older AI Nikon 100mm)

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anything but a superzoom would be the amazing thing I'd replace your superzoom with. They're full of compromises and are never going to be all that good. I suspect that the bigger the sensor the harder it is to make a good lens. Especially zooms like that. My XF300 has a 29-527mm f1.6-f2.8 lens that's really good all the way through its range, but it has a teensy 1/3" sensor.

If you want a zoom with lots of range that's better I'd look at either the 24-120 f4 or Sigma 24-105 f4. I've used the 24-120 quite a bit for video and it's far from perfect but likely much better than the 28-300. Or, if you use the longer end of the superzoom a lot, a 70-whatever.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Or pick up a Raynox close up thingy, they're also cheap(ish) and good: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/275182-REG/Raynox_DCR_250_DCR_250_2_5x_Super_Macro.html Macro can be really fun depending on what you like to do with a camera so it's worth looking into, but I wouldn't get the 40mm in any case.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Isn't that why they released the 910 so soon after?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Even several years ago you could be a generation of battery chemistry or so behind. New, good NiMH batteries like Eneloops should last longer and perform better than alkalines in most situations. The exception would be stuff that was designed with the higher 1.5 volt alkalines in mind, but even then depending on your load you might be below NiMH voltage by 1/3 a way through the battery. Also, I'm pretty sure procells are just bulk packaged versions of the regular coppertop.

The Amazon Basics white cells are basically third generation eneloops if anyone's looking for a quality low self discharge NiMH: http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...eywords=nimh+aa

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They're significantly, massively better than NiCds, and definitely better than early NiMH. If you want to really know exactly how much power a cell has, the crazy people on Candlepowerforums (a site that's for flashlight enthusiasts. No joke.) has a lot of tests: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?79302-NiMh-Battery-Shoot-Out

There are definitely higher capacity NiMH batteries out there than the Eneloops, but they're typically not low self discharge. With an Eneloop or similar you'll still have most of the battery charge left even if you leave it sitting out for a few months. Normal NiMH lose power much faster. Battery mAh ratings seem to be pretty accurate. Those Energizers probably do or did have at least 2200 or so. If you ever want to know for sure you can bet someone on Candlepowerforums has tested it.

All that said, NiMH isn't as good as the lithium ion batteries found in current cameras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like the zebras, exposure shifting during time lapse, 60p, and recording internal while outputting the full HDMI stream, but I don't think there's much reason for most D800 owners to upgrade. If I was shopping now I'd get it over the current version though.