Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
As an owner of an F5, I'll say that it's probably one of the best film cameras ever. Solid, hefty, feels like a tank in camera form. The motor drive in that thing is super fast and incredibly silent, and I love that *clunk* sound it makes when you press the shutter button. :circlefap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

powderific posted:

I hope they can sort something out too, but in the past Red usually seems to win these things.

Yeah, and the big reason is because the US Patent Office granted them a patent on in-camera raw that should never have been granted in the first place. If you read the actual patent, it describes in-camera raw in such broad strokes that it pretty much grants Red exclusive rights to it.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Philthy posted:

People poo poo on those cheap lenses but I absolutely love my TTArtisan 25mm f2. I grabbed their 23mm f1.4 hoping for the same rendering but for more low light and I'm not sure where it stands yet. It hasn't made me raise my eyebrows when I've come home. I'll need to try it out at night alongside the f2 and compare.

Yeah, nowadays, whenever someone asks me about M-mount lenses and if they should shell out the money for Leica glass, I always tell them it's no longer worth it to pay the Leica tax and just get a TTArtisan or 7Artisans lens because you'll get 99% of the performance of the Leica for way less money.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

big black turnout posted:

Curious if anyone has any opinions on differences between the F4, F5, and F6. Is there anything that really makes the F6 worth 3x the F5? I like the idea of being able to get a film slr that can use everything I already have for my DSLR

The F6 can do color matrix metering with AIS and pre-AI manual lenses if you input them into the camera via the control back, whereas the F5 only does center weighted and spot metering with all manual lenses. The F4 can do color matrix metering with AI and AIS lenses but not pre-AI, and cannot control the aperture with G type lenses. Both the F5 and F6 can shoot with all Nikon lenses up until the G type lenses (save for unmodified pre-AI lenses).

You can build up the F4 and F6 into bigger builds with the vertical grip, while the F5 is really huge with the integrated vertical grip. Is the premium for the F6 worth it over the F5? I don’t particularly think so unless you really need a smaller build. I wouldn’t grab an F4 just because its autofocus and metering are so limited.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

SMERSH Mouth posted:

But none of them work with F-mount “E” lenses, right? The ones with electronic aperture control?

The 5 definitely doesn’t. Don’t know for sure about the 6. Would be nice to rock the 200-500/5.6 on a film camera though.

Yup, none of the film cameras work with the E type lenses.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Too late for bbt, but how does the F100 compare to the F4/F5?

The F100 is basically an F5 without the integrated grip.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I saw one company was making a F mount adapter with screw drive motor in it.... but designed for Sony E mount. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
DX is a technological dead end, especially since we have high resolution full frame sensors now where you can just do DX/APS-C crops.