Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Color Printer posted:

This. Oh my god, this. I played the original and didn't do as many social links as I should have, and even though I left Hermit at Rank 1, I didn't have a problem for pretty much all of the game.

And then the last day came and I had a very, very big problem. :shepicide:

If you don't have Vigor Song by then I feel bad for you son

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

This is why you always max out your party's social links.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Does maxing your party s.links do anything for you in P3?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You get that arcana's ultimate persona unlocked for fusion. No skills are unlocked through links in P3 and their personas change as part of the plot rather than you hitting rank 10 because you only ever get to talk to the girls outside of playing P3P as a girl. She gets the guys, don't remember whether you still talk to Yukari/Mitsuru/Fuuka or whether they're also replaced with new characters.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Female party members still have links in P3P.

Also, FeMC gets a Social Link with Koromaru, why would you ever play as the male protagonist

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

MrAristocrates posted:

Also, FeMC gets a Social Link with Koromaru, why would you ever play as the male protagonist

Because FES is the best version from an immersion- and presentation standpoint :colbert:

I totally agree that the female main character and her route is vastly superior to the male though. In a parallel universe somewhere she was the default from the get-go :(

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Instant Grat posted:

In a parallel universe somewhere she was the default from the get-go :(

But then in this parallel universe she wouldn't have Dumbass McHeadphones to stand next to and be so much more interesting than. You have to have dark to appreciate light, after all.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely work on the Fox quests, and I'll keep an eye out for some of those skills late-game too. They were always helpful in the SMT games, and since you have to manage time too, I imagine they're even better in this.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So I got back into p4g these past few days and have been doing my bullshit fast forward everything run where I don't do any social links and just go and get coffee every day for the skill cards. I set it in my mind I would get the best version of each type of skill. So absorb elec / fire amp / repel dark etc.. I want to do a very hard run next so this is kinda prep for it. It is probably un-needed to go through all these steps to create ultimate persona's that are super min/maxed but it is fun to me so I am gonna keep doing it.

I'll probably be done getting everything I want soon and then go about figuring out what would be the best persona for Very Hard ng+. Only real roadblock to me going full auto pilot is absorb electric is gotten from Lucifer who my personadex copy already overwrote the spell and I didn't get the skill card first. When I first played the game a year ago I thought he was the coolest poo poo and ended up messing up his skills pretty badly.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Unless this is a NG+ file you can't get the Victory Cry card since it's on Izanagi-no-Okami.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

This is like ng++++++. I have problems. Already got victory cry a long time ago I don't even remember when.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.
A while back I was playing the homestretch of the game. I thought that I should beat the main boss early in December so that I'd have the rest of the month to do Social Links and stuff, especially "that" link in particular that needs to be completed before the year's end to get the full experience. I was at level 9, and was planning on completing it right after I beat the boss.

WELP.

Andrealinia
May 30, 2013
I ended up getting this game over the weekend (thanks Sony for sending an email letting me know it was half price!).

I've never played a persona game before but I'm absolutely loving it! It's took me a while to get to grips with the time management aspect of it. I managed to level up every other social link other than my party members >_< Started to fix that though, however, now I'm having to grind. I got to the bath house boss with my party members at level 17-19 and, needless to say, I'm getting slaughtered. I'm playing on Normal and really should have had an indication when I was having to run from the normal enemies because they were one-shotting me!

So now I have like 3 days before the fog comes and I need to grind and get my levels up, they're currently at 20.

On the bright side, even at level 17 I could kill the two minions and get the boss down to 75% so hopefully I won't have any troubles when I level up a bit more.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I'm pretty sure I've asked this before, but is there any downside you get to not completing all the social links (aside from Marie) as far as plot/content goes? I know you need to do Marie's for the optional dungeon but otherwise if I'm not max by the end of the game I'm OK, correct?

I started a new playthrough the other day hoping to finish with max Slinks but I'm pretty sure I've screwed up somewhere and at this point if it's not something that I should stress about I'll just wait for NG+ to do it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Some Social Links will be locked out if you don't complete them or get them to a certain level on time, but aside from the aforementioned spoiler, you won't miss anything huge. Just reason to go on another NG+! :v:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, first playthrough just do the ones that sound interesting and that you actually like hanging out with. Second playthrough is when you should even attempt it. It's possible to do on a first playthrough, but it's a lot easier on a NG+ when you don't have to spend time boosting stats in the meantime.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, first playthrough just do the ones that sound interesting and that you actually like hanging out with. Second playthrough is when you should even attempt it. It's possible to do on a first playthrough, but it's a lot easier on a NG+ when you don't have to spend time boosting stats in the meantime.

It's "pretty easy" to max in NG though - on the other hand, Maxing them all AND getting all the books on NG is a little tougher, but also doable.

That's just an idea of how many "extra days" the game throws at you.

Maxing them all on NG AND getting all the books (separate trophies anwyay) is a very stringent route though and has some RNG to it. I believe if you account for missing some optimizations such as exams you still end up just fine in terms of the extra time you would have at the end using a "more optimized" route and can still max all the links but you probably won't also be able to read all the books in that run.

I also recommend ranking up all the time-restricted links for obvious reasons. With regards to trophy hunting there are NG+ only trophies either way so there's no need to try to read all the books and max all the links in the same run aside from it being possible.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 8, 2014

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Another random question--I'm really enjoying P4 Golden but my partner also wants to play it. Thing is, he doesn't have a vita (and I'm hogging it) so we're just considering getting the PS2 classic of 4 off the store. Is it significantly worse in any way aside from missing Marie?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

He's gonna get real jealous of all the quality of life upgrades that Golden has. Listening to my friends playing P4G while I was stuck with naff old PS2 edition was rough.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Golden added a lot of content. There isn't a summer fireworks event, motorbikes, or beach scene and the game ends on new year's day versus the extra two months of content and extra dungeon. You can't go out at night(aside from fishing and warping straight to your job,) there are no costumes, you can't visit the beach or the extra city, and two of the voice actors change.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

robodex posted:

Another random question--I'm really enjoying P4 Golden but my partner also wants to play it. Thing is, he doesn't have a vita (and I'm hogging it) so we're just considering getting the PS2 classic of 4 off the store. Is it significantly worse in any way aside from missing Marie?

It's all little things and balance changes outside of the new s-links. If he can't wait for you to finish on the vita (or you can't give it up enough for him to play) then it should be fine.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The gameplay is also way better in Golden just for stuff like the better fusion system.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The original version would be missing the Jester and Aeon social link and their personas, events that happen in January and February, skill cards, costumes, anything involving the motorbikes, and most importantly for gameplay the improved fusion system.

In Golden you get to choose what skills pass on during fusion, but in the original the skills are randomly selected and require you to exit and re-enter the fusion screen to retry for something better.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I've only played Golden, but looking at what it added, the original seems so hollow, even if it was amazing in its own right. Playing it sounds to me like watching the theatrical versions of the LOTR trilogy, although that might just be me.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I don't think I could go back to the original P4 again after playing Golden. The vanilla fusion system was just painful; not just with the random skill inheritance but the lack of a list of possible fusions means you have to manually check each possible combination or read a guide to see what new personas you can make from your currently summoned ones.

Ignorance is bliss of course and he won't miss what he doesn't know is there, but the extra content and gameplay improvements were enough that I could finish P4G 5 times even after beating the PS2 version 3 times. In some ways I guess you can't fully appreciate how much improved P4G is without having played the vanilla version.

I'm not sure whether I'm recommending him playing the PS2 version or not anymore :v:

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Off the top of my head, a summary of things that are in Golden that are completely missing from vanilla P4:

• Fast-forward mode
  • Marie and everything having to do with her, including Personas under her arcana and her optional bonus dungeon
  • Adachi's social link and personas under that arcana
  • 3rd-tier ultimate personas for your teammates
  • All the different costumes you can wear in dungeons
  • Going out at night for anything other than fishing or warping straight to Devil/Tower social links
  • Scooters and all accompanying in-game events, including Operation Babe Hunt 2
  • Bike dates
  • Visiting Okina city outside of cutscenes
  • The beach
  • Gardening
  • The Vox Populi thing (obviously)
  • The TV menu and everything in there, including the quizzes
  • Every single thing that happens between New Year's Eve and March
  • Skill cards
  • That handy in-game list of possible fusions you can make from the personas you currently have on-hand
  • All Rise's in-battle assists

And things that have been changed from P4 to Golden:

• Chie and Teddie's voice actors (Tracey Rooney & Dave Wittenberg vs. Erin Fitzgerald & Sam Riegel)
  • Shuffle time is completely different and is much more likely to give you bunches of positive effects, skill upgrades, and permanent stat boosts in Golden compared to vanilla P4
  • Getting to manually choose which skills are inherited from fusion (Golden) instead of having to endlessly exit and re-enter the fusion screen until you get the combination you want (vanilla P4)
  • Golden Hands give ridiculous amounts of EXP (Golden) instead of just tons of money (Vanilla P4)

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 9, 2014

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Honestly, the amount of additions to Golden are the reason why I'm not nearly as confused about or indifferent towards the announcement of The Golden Animation as a lot of people. I mean, it's partly due to the fact that I haven't watched the first anime series before and so could start with TGA, but I really think that there are enough additions to make a remade series worthwhile. Not to mention that with Persona's increase in popularity over the past few years, a higher budget would not be surprising.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

BreakAtmo posted:

Honestly, the amount of additions to Golden are the reason why I'm not nearly as confused about or indifferent towards the announcement of The Golden Animation as a lot of people. I mean, it's partly due to the fact that I haven't watched the first anime series before and so could start with TGA, but I really think that there are enough additions to make a remade series worthwhile. Not to mention that with Persona's increase in popularity over the past few years, a higher budget would not be surprising.

It's just weird to remake something that finished airing only two years ago. Also, all video game to anime adaptations are awful in one way or another, and I don't expect this to break that trend.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

DarkHamsterlord posted:

It's just weird to remake something that finished airing only two years ago. Also, all video game to anime adaptations are awful in one way or another, and I don't expect this to break that trend.

It's not just a remake, though. You have Marie, the Adachi SL, the nighttime stuff, all the new late-game content, and it's being made by a different studio, so I think it may be interesting to see an alternate version of the same material.

But yeah, like I said I never got to see the original anime. I think it will be fun.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I just want a real Persona 5 trailer...

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Accordion Man posted:

I just want a real Persona 5 trailer...

I'd be surprised if we didn't get one soon since the game will be out in Japan in less than 8 months. Is there much chance of a Japanese trailer at E3, or would Atlus wait until TGS?

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!

BreakAtmo posted:

I'd be surprised if we didn't get one soon since the game will be out in Japan in less than 8 months. Is there much chance of a Japanese trailer at E3, or would Atlus wait until TGS?

The theory I've heard is Atlus is waiting until Persona Q comes out before they start getting people excited for P5. Or at least, PQ comes out in Japan, which is early June. So, it might co-inside with E3, but probably not intentionally.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

BreakAtmo posted:

Atlus would wait until TGS. SMT is pretty niche outside of Japan.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

Atlus would wait until TGS. SMT is pretty niche outside of Japan.

Still? I thought it WAS niche, but that Persona has recently become a considerably bigger name in the West. That's why I thought an E3 P5 trailer might be plausible.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

BreakAtmo posted:

Still? I thought it WAS niche, but that Persona has recently become a considerably bigger name in the West. That's why I thought an E3 P5 trailer might be plausible.

Atlus USA projected 150k sales for the PS2 version of P4 when it launched. Even combined with the numbers from Golden, I don't think P4 has even cracked a million copies in North America.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Persona has become a bigger name in the west. It went from 'completely unknown to everyone ever' to 'completely unknown to the general public, fairly known to the hardcore audience.'

Still not enough to really support an E3 trailer, though. They'd be much better served saving it until TGS.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Popping in to say that fast-forward is the greatest thing about this version of the game and I'm glad that what's taken a few minutes before now takes a few seconds.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Fast Forward is the worst version because I skipped every dialogue and cutscene and video in my "collect skill cards get personas optimized for a very hard run" play and I felt guilty about it. That run also had a downer ending I pushed namatame into the tv

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'd rather they just actually let you skip poo poo instead of putting it on fast-forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Fast forward only worked for me when I was chasing trophies. I like the characters enough that I usually don't use fast forward, especially on repeat playthroughs where I am choosing different options during s-links.

• Locked thread