Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

TheLoser posted:

There's nothing worse than going through NG+ cleaning up everything and then accidentally locking yourself out of the bonus boss. :negative:

That will teach me for making assumptions on how this game works.

How DOES the bonus boss work? Do you just have to complete the compendium first or what? I'm taking my dear sweet time with this one so I've got a long way to go yet, but it still seems like something worth knowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ryoshi posted:

How DOES the bonus boss work? Do you just have to complete the compendium first or what? I'm taking my dear sweet time with this one so I've got a long way to go yet, but it still seems like something worth knowing.

You have to get the True Ending on a first playthrough and then get it again on your NG+ run. You also have to clear out the bonus boss in the November dungeon before March.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
End game stuff:

You have to max Margaret's social link and beat the optional boss in Heaven before the final day. Right after getting the orb from Igor, you have to immediately go back to the velvet room to talk to Margaret. That's when she'll request to see you. Like an idiot, I talked to Izanami and went straight to the TV world and SAVED like an idiot. Now talking to Margaret won't accomplish anything.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Mine was yoshitsune :cool: also had Enduring soul. By the end I was grinding with the MC alone and leaving other party members in base.
Pretty much any Yoshitsune setup is good for a bit of fun and potential PYF material.

Pretty happy with mine:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

NG+ is a bit more entertaining than I thought, I thought it'd just be god mode floor mopping, but very hard mode damage modifiers, pumping up the yen, minimizing the xp, and skipping golden hands is making things interesting :v:

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
How do you get the trophy for visiting Nanako? I'm not sure when you're supposed to visit her.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
During the time she's in the hospital, talk to your friends. One of them will suggest to visit Nanako.

Edit: Fair enough.

RadicalR fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 5, 2013

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

:stare: I was screwing around trying to accumulate money, using Kanji and Teddie because I never really did anything with them until then, for NG+ and I got Hardcore Risette Fan in the process somehow.

RadicalR posted:

Just beat the game. Love the Marie as weatherwoman.
I wish they'd had those designs to start with, hair-up Yukiko and hair-down Rise and slightly-longer-haired-Chie were so much better. I miss Naoto's hat, though :smith:

Also, long-haired Nanako :3:

RadicalR posted:

During the time she's in the hospital, talk to your friends. One of them will suggest to visit Nanako.
Also, you only need to do it three times for the trophy, and you have over a week, so don't worry too much.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
You guys might want to spoiler that stuff out.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Does the River Guardian ONLY show on rainy days? Because if so I may have screwed myself by waiting so long on the Hermit SLink.

It's January :ughh:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Captain Oblivious posted:

Does the River Guardian ONLY show on rainy days? Because if so I may have screwed myself by waiting so long on the Hermit SLink.

Snowy days are treated the same as rainy days for the purposes of fishing, I think. The guardian shows up either way though, but on non-rainy (and possibly snowy) days it can easily take 15-20 attempts before getting the guardian to take the bait. If you don't get the powerful ripples signifying the guardian biting, just pull the bait back immediately and try again (this doesn't use any attempts).

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Guardians can show up any day. Weather just affects the probability, which I think translates to cloudy days in January for your best chance.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

AG3 posted:

Snowy days are treated the same as rainy days for the purposes of fishing, I think. The guardian shows up either way though, but on non-rainy (and possibly snowy) days it can easily take 15-20 attempts before getting the guardian to take the bait. If you don't get the powerful ripples signifying the guardian biting, just pull the bait back immediately and try again (this doesn't use any attempts).

Does he still make a sort of pounding noise when he's beading in on the bait? I think the old trick was to recast until you heard that noise.

Edit: TEDDIE drat IT YOU'RE A BEAR GET ME AN INABA JEWEL BEETLE ALREADY gently caress

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Does he still make a sort of pounding noise when he's beading in on the bait? I think the old trick was to recast until you heard that noise.

When he's taking the bait, the ripples will be more powerful and cause a splashing spraying effect. It's really noticeable compared to normal ripples. I'm pretty sure this is new to P4G though, as I can't remember it being like that in the PS2 version (but it's been a while since I played that, so I might be wrong).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It definitely wasn't like that in the PS2 version. Catching the guardians is way easier this time around either way.

I know it's a little late to say this, but it is definitely worthwhile to get Hermit out of the way sort of early because of the fortunes you can draw at the shrine. Thanks to night time, you would be able to power up S. Links at will every single night if you were to do so.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

It definitely wasn't like that in the PS2 version. Catching the guardians is way easier this time around either way.

I know it's a little late to say this, but it is definitely worthwhile to get Hermit out of the way sort of early because of the fortunes you can draw at the shrine. Thanks to night time, you would be able to power up S. Links at will every single night if you were to do so.

Yeah I'm not really interested in trying to get a max SLink run on THIS run so I'm not all that worried about it.

I just wish this loving fish would bite already gently caress :argh:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

AG3 posted:

When he's taking the bait, the ripples will be more powerful and cause a splashing spraying effect. It's really noticeable compared to normal ripples. I'm pretty sure this is new to P4G though, as I can't remember it being like that in the PS2 version (but it's been a while since I played that, so I might be wrong).
The PS2 trick to the guardian was that the time between nibbles on the bait were much longer than any other fish.

I haven't done the Guardian yet in P4G. Is it still the same pattern?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
No, the indicator now are huge splashes that occur during the ripples that really stand out (only the guardian and sea guardian have them). I do think all of the fish have their own unique ripple patterns, though. It's obviously a lot easier now to catch certain kinds as well thanks to the bugs.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I'm not sure if the pattern is still the same, but you can immediately tell if it's the Guardian because of the huge-rear end :krakken: splashes. If you only see rings, it's one of the other fish.

e: beaten like Yosuke and Teddie at a hot spring

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

As much as I love this game, sometimes I wish I wasn't playing on Hard. Not due to difficulty or anything, it just seems to make some battles an absolute slog. I get it, you power charge and herculean strike on alternating turns, it hasn't killed me yet and it won't kill me the next twenty five turns either, can you just lay down and DIE already?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nate RFB posted:

But you can draw fortunes regardless where you're at with Hermit in Golden? :confused:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Yep, just need the first rank and then talk to the old man at the shrine afterwards to enable it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Wow, I had been operating under the assumption that the fortunes you drew were for random people until you maxed it. Was it that way in the PS2 version as well? Not that you would have enough free time to draw fortunes until the very end, anyway.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nate RFB posted:

Wow, I had been operating under the assumption that the fortunes you drew were for random people until you maxed it. Was it that way in the PS2 version as well? Not that you would have enough free time to draw fortunes until the very end, anyway.

In the PS2 version you couldn't draw fortunes at all until you maxed Hermit, and even then you could only do it during the day, though I don't think it took it away from you during rainy days.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Can you spend Xmas/Valentines with Marie or should I s link another girl for those events. I don't want to have a back up anime wife if it'll make them sad when I reject them :ohdear:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Can you spend Xmas/Valentines with Marie or should I s link another girl for those events. I don't want to have a back up anime wife if it'll make them sad when I reject them :ohdear:

Marie has her own separate Valentines event. I'm reasonably certain she doesn't have a Christmas event. Feel free to have a back-up anime wife.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I don't know about Valentines, but you can only get the Christmas events with your party members.

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008

Strange Quark posted:

I don't know about Valentines, but you can only get the Christmas events with your party members.

It works similarly to the Christmas one, only for Valentines if you're double (or triple) dipping you have to go around and tell each of the girlfriends you're not spending Valentines with why you're not spending it with them. Except for Marie, for whom there's an extra event afterwards that happens no matter what you do.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

You can spend Christmas Eve (and presumably New Year's and Valentine's Day) with any of the girls you can date.

Marie is an exception, I don't think she has a Christmas Eve event, and she definitely doesn't have a New Year's one, and her Valentine's Day event is independent from everyone else's.

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

Newb question. Should I even bother grinding before I beat my first run through? I'm kind of thinking I should just get through the story.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

Newb question. Should I even bother grinding before I beat my first run through? I'm kind of thinking I should just get through the story.

Kill golden hands along the way and you won't need to.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

Just experience the story if it's your first runthrough the game. That way you can make grinding incredibly easy with the custom difficulty setting that allows you to tweak damage, money, and exp. Plus you'll be able to get your barrings and better figure out what you want out of the game the second time around.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
You shouldn't need to ever grind. You should be pretty close to max level by the end naturally.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Apparently it's possible to reach the True Ending in the low 70's. You should probably try to avoid that, at least.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Nate RFB posted:

Apparently it's possible to reach the True Ending in the low 70's. You should probably try to avoid that, at least.
On my first playthrough of the PS2 version, I reached the true ending with the MC at level 75 and the others in the low 70s. I'm pretty sure I had no SP items left either, except for a single Soma. That was not pleasant. :shepicide:

In Golden you should easily be able to make it to the mid-80s at the very least.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
You definitely do not need to grind. I rotated everyone in and still ended up with this on my first playthrough (sorry, Chie).

I played on Hard, which doesn't cut your exp gains, but the plethora of Golden Hands made the game a cakewalk past the third dungeon. I didn't even have to hunt them down; I just didn't ignore them when I saw them.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Boten Anna posted:

Kill golden hands along the way and you won't need to.

I'm having to actively fight being overleveled thanks to those bastards. I want to be overpowered due to my amazingly broken Black Frost. :smith:

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I'm having to actively fight being overleveled thanks to those bastards. I want to be overpowered due to my amazingly broken Black Frost. :smith:

That's kind of true for me too. My Queen Mab has Victory Cry, Rainy Death and Repel Fire and I'm level 49. I guess I didn't really mean " grinding" in my last question. I was really referring to "completionism".

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I feel like the odd one out here. I got to mid/high 80s without grinding and then proceeded to spend close to 15 hours just leveling up so I could get high enough to fuse Lucifer. I'm probably going to try to do better with New Game Plus, since I only used favorites (poor Yosuke and Teddie...) but the majority of Gold Hands I encountered ran off before I could beat the suckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
My Kanji went from 25 to 58 just rushing through the Secret Base thanks to golden hands. It's way easier to get overleveled on NG+ since fewer golden hands manage to escape before you finish them off.

• Locked thread