Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Schubalts posted:

Marie is my new favorite NPC. "He bought me meat. He is a good person." :swoon:

I really want to steal her hat, though. It's like Junpei all over again.

So what's the deal with Marie anyway? Is she a new party member or just a new S-Link? I was unclear on how much they were integrating her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Aiya only boosts three of your stats (Except Expression) but it boosts them well and saves you a lot of trouble in getting those stats up during other days, so it's pretty worth it.

Anyways, Adachi knowing magic tricks is awesome. I love Adachi, his S. Link is exactly what I'd hoped it would be so far and it certainly gives an idea for what kind of guy he really is.

You mean aside from

A horribly misogynist sociopath? :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Are the new outfits reflected in battle as well this time, or just the overworld?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

They show up both in battle and in the dungeon.

Uggghhh I need to steal a Vita or something god drat.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

1 and 2 are totally unlike 3 and 4. 3 is good, but P4 is better in every way.

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHoNWwhzh3M

This is pretty accurate. I would still recommend 3 though, it's still fun and a great time it's just not as good as Persona 4.

There are worse fates than merely being not as good as Persona 4 though.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

I keep playing P4, and I keep liking it more. Possibly more than 3. Not because of the mechanics though, as I don't see the ones in 3 being a deal breaker, but the characters themselves are really growing on me.

Now...how do I level expression?

This is really the crux of it. Persona 4 is a better game mechanically, but more than that, it has flat out better writing and better characterization. The P3 cast weren't really believable as teenagers. The P4 cast is much moreso, and have a better dynamic with each other. The plot is also generally a lot more coherent.

Persona 3 was good and enjoyable, but rough and unpolished around the edges.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Persona 4 starts out pretty difficult, then you get Black Frost.

Then you kill everything that has ever lived.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Sex_Ferguson posted:

(Late-Game Spoiler)If you maxed Marie's S. Link then there's more story content in the form of a new dungeon in February, otherwise you're basically just getting some extra days for S. Links.

Booooo. I was hoping to skip the tsundere nonsense. :(

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Lord Ephraim posted:

The new bad ending is hosed up.

I wanted to be Adachi's bro. I didn't really care about the deaths of Mayumi and Konishi. They were bitches anyways. Then he used me to erase the only piece of solid evidence that links him to the case, then blackmails me for tampering with police evidence. It made me really mad for betraying my friends, then get backstabbed by Adachi. I probably wouldn't return to Inaba after that, assuming it still exists after the shadows take over.

Congrats I guess

You helped a nihilistic psychopath and were surprised at the outcome.

How do you even manage that?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

To be clear I'm being rhetorical when I say how do you even manage that.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Endorph posted:

You can't say it didn't work.

EDIT: Also how can you even call Mayumi and Konishi 'bitches'? We learn literally nothing about their characters.

They dead.

Yeah that part of the post struck me as kind of creepy.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Prrrrobably didn't deserve to die though.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Sounds like you're really, really underlevelled if you're struggling there. When I got to that boss I basically gave him a light shove and he fell over.

Edit: That or you haven't been fusing very good personas.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Snix posted:

So, I heard this is a long game, and it most certainly is longer than other games, but I still can't shake this feeling that it's short. I can easily blow through dungeons in one day, I'm fifty hours in, and I'm level 70. I'm after Mitsou's dungeon, though I haven't activated the next dungeon yet. How far am I? I mean, with P3P, I clocked in 100-120 hours, and the in-game time didn't seem to go as fast as it does here, though P3P was also my first venture into the Persona series. Plus, I beat P3P over the span of several months, and I've just been blowing through P4G over the span of a week and a half. Am I just going too fast? Is there more to the game that I just haven't gotten to yet? Is it just a shorter game?

You have a ways to go and you are heinously unbelievably overlevelled :psyduck:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Is there a list of where to get these books somewhere?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

It's SELF ESTEEM ISSUES or if, god forbid, you opt to romance her it becomes self esteem issues with a side order of "you appear to be romancing someone who is 8 years old, call the police y/y?"

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Superstring posted:

Epilogue stuff:

What the hell Kanji? What the hell?! :catstare:

He stopped dying his hair.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I think the game handles that stuff about as well as it can in the context it takes place in, though I feel like there's a weird thing going with Naoto's story where the game is just as confused about whether she's transgendered or simply pretending to be more masculine for the sake of appearances as she's supposed to be.

I think it's important to mention that there's a lot of "eww gross gays" type dialogue from Yosuke, and it's actually integral to the construction of his character. He's a quintessential teenage boy, and he's clumsy: on his feet (the bike/trashcan), with women (Saki), with stuff (Chie's DVD), and with other peoples' feelings. When he freaks out about Kanji staying in the tent, the player's supposed to be laughing at what an insecure twit he is, not sympathizing with him.

EDIT: Maybe I'm giving it too much leeway or whatever, but I don't really concern myself overmuch with whether or not the way any of the PCs conducts themselves is "positive" with regards to Kanji or Naoto. They're teenagers, and teenagers go through identity crises and have difficulty understanding the plights of other people, and part of the charm of the game is that it constructs its characters fairly realistically instead of having them be authorial mouthpieces. I mean, the game is essentially about how self-denial will gently caress you up inside. That's a pretty queer-positive central theme.

On the topic of Naoto

Much like Kanji, I don't think sex or sexuality is really the focus of Naoto's character arc. Is it possible Naoto is transgendered? Yeah (I'm leaning towards no, but it's certainly possible), but her personal narrative is about dealing with how much of a dick society is about gender roles and people who don't neatly fit them.

Just like Kanji. Kanji's gayness or lackthereof is a red herring.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

Oh wow. So I just put my third model up on the shelf in my room.

Seeing my hard work on display like that boosted all five of my social stats.

Shame I'd already maxed them out before this, but the sentiment is nice.

Also, regarding the Neo Featherman costumes... they were expensive as hell...

... and totally worth it. :colbert:

Well that does it. There's no way in hell I'm going to be able to wear anything else in this game.

I briefly entertained the notion of Santa Yu but no.

loving Power Rangers. All the way.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

I love how absolutely :what: Yu is in the anime, it's hilarious and contrasts everything I did the first time I played through P4, I wish more protagonists in anniemays could be so likable for being so expressionless at times. :allears:

It mostly makes it even funnier when he does something like launch into a thirty minute long diatribe on why they should, nay, MUST enter the beauty pageant.

Edit: Hahahaha holy poo poo Yu roleplaying as a girl. The deadpan looks. gently caress.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Rasamune posted:

Seriously! You'd think they'd at least give you a "put an arm around her shoulders in a sympathetic and totally platonic way" option, rather than forcing you to choose between "embrace her like a lover" and "stand stock-still like a robot beep boop what is this HUMAN com-pas-sion"

Still isn't worth it :colbert:

Rise is irritating and I'll romance her over MY DEAD BODY.

Also with this new skill card system and shuffle time, I kind of want to make team HAIL SATAN. A team comprised entirely of variations of Satan.

Satan, Helel, Samael, Beelzebub...who else? Is Asmodeus in?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

There's also Baal Zebul, but considering Beelzebub, that's just kinda redundant.

Son I don't think you understand. I am assembling a team comprised entirely of different interpretations of the same mythological entity. At what point of this does redundancy sound like a problem? :colbert:

(You must gather your Satans before venturing forth)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Mouser.. posted:

Two questions since I'm almost done with P4:

1. Would watching the anime after playing the game feel like watching the movie after reading the book?

2. Is Persona 3 different enough story wise that I wouldn't feel like I'm rehashing the same plot over again ?

Persona 3 and 4 have very little in common plot wise.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Persona 3 isn't as well written as Persona 4 in general, but it's still a good game.

Edit: Also FES is the definitive version death to the P3P infidels

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I never found the "controllable party members!" to be much of a big deal one way or the other in Persona 3. It's a fairly easy game either way.

(I will qualify this statement with the admission that I never ever, ever use Mitsuru)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Speedball posted:

I like how Jester is basically just the more negative aspect of the Fool, our hero and his team's Arcana. We are blindly stumbling forward trying to find the truth... but he's more than content to simply drift through life.

That is the idea in general. The Jester is the Reversed Fool card. The Fool represents the Journey that is life. The Jester is a failed journey, one who has not only learned nothing but doesn't believe he has anything to learn. Someone who thinks he has all the answers.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

DeathBySpoon posted:

Yosuke: Here, have this- I've been totally into these recently!

> Obtained Sedative.

:stare:

Wait

What :catstare:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

JackDarko posted:

I need to find out what day that's on. Fusion Forecast time.

December 24th. Allegedly doing this, sadly, costs you the going out with your girlfriend for Christmas scene.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

gently caress the catchy rear end music in this game!

Heartbeat, Heartbreak on rainy days kills me. It's the Megidolaon of Mellow.

I just melt in my chair and chill.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm dumb so, someone help me out here

When inputting my name, if I was to go with the Seta Souji name from the manga the proper way to input it would be

Souji,
Seta

Right? Japanese naming conventions CONFUSE ME SO :saddowns:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

The game tells you which name you're inputting. Just remember that Seta is his last name and Souji is his first name, you'll be fine.

It is? The ordering on the wiki threw me off :argh:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

What I'd really like is a fairly succinct Social Link guide that isn't a million pages that I could print. Sadly, GameFAQs has nothing of the sort. Anyone seen anything of the like?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Endorph posted:

What exactly do you want? The Max S. Link guide on gamefaqs is long as gently caress, yeah, but it's literally just "Do this on this day. Do that on this day." It's as succinct as you're gonna get for a day-by-day guide.

Or do you just want a list of what S. Links open when and what you have to do to get them open?

Pretty much just a short list of optimal replies during S-Links to print so I don't need to look it up regularly.

The Max S. Link guide is way more than I need because well, I'm not worried about getting everything. F that.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

DarkHamsterlord posted:

This is for the PS2, so it's missing Jester and Aeon (and also Soccer, for some reason. Basketball is there, though), but it's what I use.

http://persona4.wikidot.com/conversation

It was written as a translation guide to the Japanese version though, so a few of the translations might not match up 100% with what the game says.

This owns and is perfect.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Endorph posted:

http://pastebin.com/q9xwny8t

I made a thing. Hopefully this is small enough for you to print. If it's still too big I just wasted an hour of my life copy/pasting for nothing.

EDIT: Apparently I wasted it anyway. Oh well. The experience was character building.

It's still good for me. This is even better.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I was contemplating romancing Marie but I just...can't handle the tsundere.

My tsundere threshold is exceeded. All hail Chie.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Schubalts posted:

You can get Yukiko's on your first run, if you focus almost entirely on raising Courage (or whichever stat she requires). I did it on mine.

I didn't focus that much on Courage and I still got it. I only had a 3 Courage.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Zurai posted:

No, the game would still be easy thanks to Rise's new helper abilities (I was never able to run out of SP) and the ability to choose which abilities are passed on in Fusion.

And in practical terms, everyone just backed up and hit x again until they got the abilities they wanted in Persona 4 anyway.

Persona 4 was never a hard game, now I just have more freedom of choice in terms of what pokemon I can use.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Mailer posted:

I'm wondering how much of the commentary about Golden being easy is based on blind runs in the original. It wasn't horribly difficult but I certainly remember having an annoying time dealing with early fox prices and trying to balance out slinks/dungeon time.

Now I'm rolling with a Trumpeter with Victory Cry and the Megidolaon never stops.

I can't speak for the others but I've only played the game once before P4G and never once had Victory Cry during the entire game. No real particularly clever fusion, it was still easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I forget, does weapon strength actually factor into persona physical special attack damage or is that just keyed off of strength and the ability?

• Locked thread