Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

jerkstore77 posted:

Can someone tell me more about the time limits imposed on this game?

I really don't like games with time limits and like the freedom to grind out levels/skills/whatever without having some time limit over my head telling me I have to press on. Even if there's plenty of time to complete the game, I still tend to not like it.

I understand the day/night cycle, but hearing that the game "takes place over the course of a year" has me worried.

The time limit they give you is super generous. In general the social linking/date sim stuff is there to develop the personalities of your party members and to serve as a grind to unlock better fusion persona for your main character. Once a new dungeon unlocks you can generally punch through it in about 3 in game days and have the rest of the 2-4 weeks kicking it with your buddies.

If you want to get a good idea of the pacing of the game, check out the Giant Bomb endurance run of the original game for PS2. The first 10 episodes are the more cutscene and dialog heavy intro/tutorial segments, but then hits its stride after that. If you're wanting to play the game for yourself, I would suggest not watching past the first proper dungeon (episode 23 or so)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Pollyanna posted:

Gag dammit, what level am I supposed to be when I'm about to fight Shadow Yukiko? Level 13 or so? I don't remember P4 being this difficult - oh wait I'm playing on hard. :v:

That sounds about right. If PS2 P4 is still good on low level persona skills, you should be able to get a persona for the main character that can cast a fire guard spell on Chie to keep her from getting knocked down/dizzy.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Nate RFB posted:

Now that I think about, couldn't you just equip some items to emulate having the Evade skills? Probably a better idea to do that than waste a skill. That said, might as well give Naoto some serious consideration since you can more or less mold Naoto's skillset to whatever you want (surely no one would pick all of the -dynes).

So just to clear it up, the 2 months of additional time can be used to max out additional S. Links? Surely not all of them? I can imagine a few that would still be locked out at their usual times.

Any other changes in terms of scheduling that one who has played the PS2 version should be aware of?

There are new events earlier in the game as well that will probably take up some of the extra two months time you get in P4G compared to vanilla P4. (Halloween, ski vacation, ect).

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
You know, I must be particularly dense because I watched the entire Giant Bomb P4 Endurance run and have played P4G all the way to November before I realized that the touching heart to heart music and the boss theme were remixes of each other.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
You know, the more I play though P4G the more I want Atlas to do a enhanced version of SMT: Nocturne for vita as well (or at least give it a PS2 classics release on the PS3 ala P3FES). I had a Nocturne save for PS2 that's about halfway through, but my PS2 is currently sitting in a box somewhere and I can't be asked to get it out.

More on topic, I'm on to the November dungeon in P4G, and I have a more general question. I've noticed that since the june dungeon or so, if I stick around on a floor too long that I'll start hearing groaning and chains rattling and I can't ever figure out what it was. I originally thought it was The reaper but I thought he was only suppose to spawn inside of treasure chests in the final few dungeons. If I just chill out when I hear the chains and whatnot, will something bad come find me?

Also...

Protocol7 posted:

My Personas are consistently lower level than that of my party members, and I find I have to consistently fuse them to get even close to their level. What am I doing wrong?

It gets better toward the end of the game. when my character was level 63 he had a level 73 Jinn because of SLink exp and like 4 lucky emperor cards in a row

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Strange Quark posted:

The rattling chains will sound after you open 21 chests. The Reaper has a chance of showing up when you open your 22 chest (specifically a normal one) on the same floor and the game will give you a prompt whether want to open the chest and fight him. You can hang out as long as you like on the floor; he won't spawn and wander around on the map as in P3.

I have never once found 22 chests on a single floor of a dungeon, or are you talking about going up and down floors back and forth?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

W.T. Fits posted:

Most of the major characters in the story represent the various Arcana of the Tarot. Conversely, their Shadows (if they appear) represent the Reversed form of that Arcana. Mitsuo's Arcana is the Hermit. Normally, in the Fool's Journey, the Hermit represents a wise, old figure who lives in isolation that the Fool seeks out to learn wisdom from. But Mitsuo isn't just the Hermit; he's the Hermit Reversed. A gibbering madman with no real wisdom or insight. A charlatan who just wants recognition and notoriety that, on some level, he knows he doesn't really deserve. That's why the Investigation Team wasn't sure which one was the real Mitsuo and which was the Shadow at first. And it's also why his Shadow claims that it's empty; Mitsuo embraces the dark, negative aspects of himself, leaving nothing for the Shadow to embody. When you defeat it, it fades away because with Mitsuo's corrupted ego willingly embracing his own inner darkness, it has nothing it can use to maintain itself as a distinct, separate entity.

At least, that's one possible interpretation.

That's actually really interesting, is there a way to check what arcana non Slink characters are in game or is it something you are just deducing from logic? Also, I'd like to hear you explanation on why in the November dungeon there isn't a shadow Namatame and he instead gets used as a condom for shadow gearhead jesus to come gently caress the party.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So is it possible to break the hermit quest to catch the guardian? For whatever reason the I've gone through the old man's dialog options like 3 times each and he's never mentioned Inaba Jewel Beetles to me, so I am unable to catch them in the shrine. Am I hosed on this quest or is there some other prerequisite to open up the river guardian?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So am I the only person now who, after watching the Hiimsday comic dub, find that whenever Adachi walks into the room they says to themselves, "Did someone here want to talk about MURDER?"? Because that is a perfect description of his character for pretty much all of the early game.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

carry on then posted:

Alright, I have a question. I'm at the Void Quest Boss and I think I've screwed myself over. It's the second-to-last day before game over, and I'm stuck with everyone at mid-30s. I haven't actually had the game over occur yet, but I figured I was getting close so I looked up the exact date. My question is, have I ruined my save? I don't know if I can grind 10 levels for my party in one day, given that I have no reliable way to restore SP and often have all my grinding progress wiped out by a wonderful Last Resort.

Nobody else mentioned it, but you can also go back to the first dungeon and farm easy enemies for shuffle times. Pick up cup cards and use SoSes and Rise to bring up your SP. Kill Golden hands there for a spot of experience.

Also have you gone back and done the optional bosses for the dungeons you've already cleared? Just working your way to the top of those dungeons you can play super conservative and wind up with more SP than you entered with and by now all of em should be pretty easy.

Edit:

AlternateNu posted:

This is also why I was kind of surprised when they decided to use the Jester for Adachi, as the Jester depiction is used primarily in French suited decks and some Italian decks which are somewhat removed from the Thoth and Rider-Waite variants. While the parallel is fairly obvious (both The Fool and The Jester being 0), using the Jester for Adachi fits amazingly well if you think of him as just a puppet dancer for Izanagi and Ameno-Sagiri.
The reason they decided to (endgame spoilers)use Jester for Adachi is because he's suppose to symbolize the fool reversed. Personality wise he's the opposite of the main character, where the Hero takes the move to Inaba as a way to start a new adventure and begin this journey, Adachi sees it as a dead end and closes himself off to personal growth. As seen with the old neighbor lady in his Slink, when she reached out to him he retreated and just bitched that she was annoying. Adachi resented being sent to Inaba and uses it as an excuse to act out and gently caress with people. His chance to take the fool's journey was doomed before his feet hit the ground because of his mindset. After the events in December, his Arcana changes to Hunger, strength reversed. If strength represents self control and composure, then hunger would represent self indulgence and agitation. The facade has fallen off of him, and he has shown that the whole thing was essentially a game to him. Everything started because he wasn't given what he felt was his due respect, so he taught the people who he felt had wronged him a lesson. Inside of the TV, the shadows gave him right of way because the TV world is a sort of gestalt collaboration of mankind's self indulgences and he was essentially self indulgence personified.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 17, 2013

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Yukari posted:

Is there a list of what skills upgrade via Magician cards? I'm wondering if anything upgrades into Absorb Phys/Fire/Ice/etc.

Near as I can tell, resist fire/ice/phys cards can morph into Null Fire/Ice/phys cards and that's it on those. Aside from that, skills will step up logically, sometimes in potentially multiple ways (Sukukaja turns into Masukukaja, bufu can turn into mabufu *or* bufula) I got some lucky magician cards early on and wound up with Invigorate 3 at like level 15, which in turn turned into Invogorate 3 on every thing I've fused since then. Somewhere along the line I picked up cool breeze and null phys and now everything I create has Invigorate 3, cool breeze, Null phys turning my main character into an unstoppable SP battery that will never stop magicking.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
If you have mind charge in another persona then your best bet would be to go to the coffee shop on a day where can card it.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Endorph posted:

Kanji isn't gay and Naoto isn't trans. Like I agree their characterization/writing isn't perfect but.

Yeah, their shadow dungeons lean toward it heavily, but every playable character's dungeon was pretty heavily sexualized in a way that's not necessarily in line with their character, which makes sense because they are all hormonal teenagers. Their shadows were heavily sexualized in a way that carries over into their non-sexual self doubts. See Kanji's self doubts about himself. He agonizes over the fact that he likes arts and crafts poo poo and is condemned by his peers for not being masculine. All he really wanted was to be accepted by his peers, and to his shadow self that meant to tack to the homosexual because in his minds eye that's what people would think of him should he admit his crafty side to the world.

Naoto is in a different situation, I feel like she could be viewed as a trans person not because of her sexual identity (which I see her as more of an asexual/leaning feminine person in that regard) but because of cultural identity. She has it worked into her head (possibly correctly) that the culture of Inaba and possibly Japan as a whole as against women as detectives/investigators. So she adjusts her look and her personality to put herself in a better position to be taken seriously as a detective. Her shadow just cranks that feeling up to 10 and creates Dr. Naoto's Mad Mad Sex Change Bunker when she gets thrown in the TV.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

MeruFM posted:

In Kanji's case, he also mentioned being able to relax more around guys and scared of girls. It's not merely that he enjoyed crafts.

It ran both ways, girls were uncomfortable around him because of his hobbies and personality. That in turn would make him uneasy around girls because he didn't know if they would ostracize him, so he'd double down on being a social outsider, which made girls uncomfortable. It's an ouroboros of misery.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 21, 2013

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
You know, I always wondered why the velvet room's music always seemed so thematically different than all the other music in P3 and P4, but now that I'm playing Persona 2, I see exactly why it fit there and actually still does now. Back in persona 2 the velvet room was still an actual room rather than an elevator or a limo, and as such actually has a piano player and an opera singer. It's actually a really neat touch and brings the velvet room music in P3 and P4 into perspective.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Really Pants posted:

Shame. Oh well, there's always Yukiko's Mind Charge. :supaburn:

If there's anyone who still doesn't like Chie's new voice: get some good headphones. It is seriously a world of difference. Erin Fitzgerald did a phenomenal job, she just hit exactly the wrong pitch for the tinny-rear end Vita speakers.

Yeah, I found I was liking Chie more in golden than in baseline P4. I've actually gotten kind of use to her new accent which in my minds eye sounds like a cross between light valley girl and very light Boston accent.

New teddy is still grating, but old teddy was grating too, so no real movement there.

Did the old Shin Megami Tensei megathread fall off into archives? I tried to look for it and couldn't find it in the live forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Sputty posted:

Is Persona 3 Portable good enough or should I just play FES on a PS2? I don't think FES is available on a Vita and since it sounds like Portable cuts out a lot of stuff is it worth playing it? I've never played 3 before if that matters.

If you have a PS3 then FES is available from the PS store under PS2 classics.

• Locked thread