Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Speedball posted:

OH, man, can you imagine the kind of stuff Dojima's shadow would say or do?

I'm picturing it looking like a wild and carefree surfer dude.

A white sedan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dr Pepper posted:

I wonder if you'd even need a guide. The biggest hurdle to getting all the Social Links is your 5 social stats. You'll have them maxed or near maxed on a second play through.

In vanilla P4, even with max social stats, I barely maxed it at, like, late December. There's definitely some planning involved, mostly who is available when and periods like summer break where a few links are unavailable.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Schubalts posted:

Dragon Hustle would like a word with you. That SP cost and unlock requirement hurts, though.

Dragon Hustle costs 150 SP. Chie has 299 SP at level 99. :shepface:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Cake Attack posted:

One more question. How do you max the Adachi social link? I automatically advanced to Rank 7 in the hospital. Is it all automatic from here on out, or do I have to get the new ranks manually?

From what I've gathered it's automatic.

Can't actually be sure since I don't have the game or a Vita. But it's really tempting, you know.

Really, really tempting.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I went to turn in the 10th Fox quest and his S Link didn't go up. It said "conditions have to be right". Was it because I met him on a rainy day? Or do I have to do something else to get it to 10? I never got to rank 10 with Fox in the original, so I don't know if this is what usually happens or not.

If it's like vanilla, you need to go there one more time to max it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The only thing P4 spoils for P3 is that the world doesn't end.

It is an SMT game though, so that the world doesn't end may be a spoiler in and of itself considering it's been the premise before. :psyduck:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Holy poo poo, you can get the Debilitate skill card from Trumpeter.

Hope you had fun because nothing else will make you try now.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
How is Amagidyne? Does it deal that much more than Maragidyne? Would it be worth casting it instead of Agidyne with Mind Charge if I'm after raw DPS?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Undead Unicorn posted:

Hey when does the Fortune Social Link unlock? I forgot how annoying it was last time I played this game.

10/21, you need max Courage and Knowledge.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Acidian posted:

How about buffs, are they worth it?

Yes. This is a SMT game. Buffs and debuffs are God here.

E: I guess your problem is that you're using single-target buffs? You eventually get full-party ones, and single-target debuffs work magic against bosses.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Haifisch posted:

Charm is great because it makes the shadows attack each other, among other beneficial things.

I don't think Charm is in Persona 4, though.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

e: Or you can give the card to Marie for further breaking purposes, but it costs 200,000 yen to buy back so at least you won't be putting that skill on everyone.

Just 200,000 for the best skill in the entire game?

It's almost like they want me to put that skill on everyone.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
What if, romance plays like normal but on Rank 10 when they go to your room, they find your copy of Witch Detective and the link instantly breaks because they can never look at you in the same light ever again?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
It isn't an SMT boss until you slog for an hour. Let me tell you about my first fight with Daisoujou in Nocturne.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
In P3P used the same Narcissus from when I fused him to the start of the last block of Tartarus, since his Sexy Dance/Charm Boost could win most random encounters and his full set of mutli-target attack spells won the rest.

Knowing something like that is possible in P4G is pretty nice.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
In vanilla, Yukiko's Magic isn't that much stronger than Teddie's, and Teddie has Matarukaja which is a very giant point in his favor.

But now, Amagidyne and Mind Charge make it much more even, and Chie's Dragon Hustle probably tips it in favor of Yukiko.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Kanji maxes at 749 at level 99. The characters have fixed HP/SP gains determined by level. This leads to cruel things like Chie having 298 SP at level 99, when Dragon Hustle costs 150.

In Persona 3 the characters hit 999/999 at level 99 regardless of where they were before.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kagon posted:

Do you have a Matador and Mokoi by chance? If you fuse two personas of the same arcana, it will give you one of that arcana that's a rank lower.

If they're consecutive, it'll do that. If they aren't it'll try to give you what's in between. Pretty sure Mokoi and Matador are consecutive so ti'll go down, though.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Nate RFB posted:

My problem right now is purely monetary.

Speaking of, does the Mr. Pringles exploit still work? I couldn't imagine making infinite money without it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The Grimace posted:

Mr. Pringles? Could you elaborate on this? :confused:

At least in vanilla, there was an enemy in the 1st floor of Magatsu Mandala called the Great King, that summoned Bambinos. If your MC nulled physical damage, then neither the Kings nor the Bambinos could harm him, as the Bambinos only used physicals and the Great Kings used Valiant Dance when unable to summon more Bambinos. It was possible to just set it on Rush and leave the game on for a while, kill Bambinos, come back, finish the battle, and get several million yen.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Endorph posted:

Speaking of skills, is there some sort of resource that lists all the skills on all the personas? Or, alternatively, does anyone know the next-earliest source of mind charge after Jack Frost (since I don't want to grind him) and the earliest source of almighty damage?

I don't think they changed too much of the old arcana, so This guide for the PS2 version should still be valid.

Unless Aeon or Jester have an earlier source of either, Titania has Mind Charge at level 31 if you somehow grind her up, Taotie at 38, and Black Frost at 40. Since The same day that opens up Black Frost's pentagon fusion has two ranks of Fool by itself, he'll get it immediately.

Taotie starts with Megido at level 35 (he also gets Mind Charge as I said above). Life Drain is available sooner but has a fixed 30 damage.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I went to Yukiko's Castle on a rainy day, but there were no rain Shadows. Did they take those out? Does rain have any affect on the TV World?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Naoto's skill list is confusing now. There's still Megidolaon and Mind Charge and the full instant kill selection. Vorpal Blade is still powerful, but Myriad Arrows has more accuracy and more potential damage if all three hits connect, but the physical skills are still pretty easy to exclude entirely. There's now Invigorate 3 and Angelic Grace begging for slots, and the dynes really are a different can of worms all together. Heat Riser is a cool spell especially with the change to buffs. And of course Shield of Justice is a great panic button and a surefire answer to charges. I'll probably have to sit down with a couple of notebooks and graphs to figure it out.

It's probably pretty justifiable now to completely remove any trace of the instant kill spells and gear Naoto more towards Mind Charge abuse and support. Probably what I'd do, anyway.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Endorph posted:

So long as you have one of the two dedicated healers in your party you're fine. Sure, you could go with a straight damage line-up and have your MC healing, but the fact of the matter is with the right persona it's hideously easy for him to outstrip the damage of everyone else, so you don't really want him wasted on healbot duty.

Not that it's a bad plan to have a Mediarahan handy anyway. Hell, the protagonist can do a lot with his Personas and switch on the fly.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rascyc posted:

I always feel like scum anyway when I turn down every single request to go out on Sundays.

It's easy enough for me because of one shining beacon.

Yes I know I have more times to watch it but he sold me a Growth 2 card! How could I not but from him ASAP?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Captain Tolerable posted:

Beware, the book may or may not be Witch Detective.

Thanks to Witch Detective my Diligence and Understanding hit level 3 at the same time, meaning thanks to this one book I completed one tenth of the journey to becoming Mr. Perfect. I can't hate it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Boten Anna posted:

Kill golden hands along the way and you won't need to.

I'm having to actively fight being overleveled thanks to those bastards. I want to be overpowered due to my amazingly broken Black Frost. :smith:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Captain Oblivious posted:

Is there any particular place that's best for gold hand hunting?

Since the hands scale with the dungeon, I'd suggest whatever is your current dungeon.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Teddie gets Matarukaja at level 42 and it is an amazing spell. Getting Chie Black Spot and Yosuke Wind Boost can't hurt either. And if nothing else your level itself will cut damage a little.

Also, my Black Frost was breaking 1000 damage with his charged amped Agidynes. Holy poo poo.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Phobophilia posted:

Nothing like the first Magician card you ever get turning Invig 2 into Invig 3 :getin:

I got Resist Physical turned into Null Physical. The Slime's legacy lives on in my incredibly hard to kill Personas.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Really Pants posted:

Oh of course I know how Soseki Natsume translated the phrase "I love you" into Japanese for his book, Kokoro. Who doesn't? :psyduck:

It's a Japanese literature class. I imagine it's like asking a Japanese class the name of the planet the aliens who kidnap Billy Pilgrim are from.

That it isn't localized at all is a little problematic. Now, where is the Kitora Tomb located?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The protagonist already has enough SP for a single Megidolaon at level 1, and gets enough for a second one at level 7. With Spell Master it costs a simple 19 SP.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Mailer posted:

Mind Charge comes from Alice but you're probably better off fusing a megidolaon/MC combo. I think Taotie is the earliest you'll get MC.

Jack Frost at level 25, but Taotie and Black Frost are the most accessible.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Strange Quark posted:

Also, the reason Blade of Fury gets recommended is probably for its 90% hit rate and having 2-4 hits, though having only a base power of 100 means it caps out to less than two hits of Agneyastra (base power 240).

Damage doesn't quite work that way since Hassou Tobi comes out to 960 power but it hits harder than Primal Force.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Nate RFB posted:

The only big obstacles to maxing all the links IMO are bike dates. Especially on your initial run, there is pretty much no time for bike dates at all. I don't think this really a big deal since I was not impressed with most of the skills you could get, besides Yukiko's Mind Charge and some of Naoto's.

I got Megido on Yosuke since Diarama wasn't cutting it and Winds of Youth combines healing and Masukukaja anyway. It's mildly useful for when I don't want to bother with resistances and it's cheaper than Magarudyne.

Kanji gets healing spells and a multi-target Physical skill from them,. Bufudyne is Naoto's best spell for Mind Charging if you get a good ice vow, since there is now an ice-boosting gun. Chie gets Bufudyne and Hamaon which might be handy, especially Hamaon. Teddie's Evade Physical and Mustard Bomb are interesting but his skillset is cramped as is. I haven't actually tried these, though.

Speaking of, Cake Attack, your skill lists in the OP has a few problems. Yukiko gets Matarunda, not Marakunda, and Rise's is all different. She gets Relaxing Wave at 52 and upgrades it to Vigor Song at 79, for example.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I think Hama is 100% hit if you use it on a weak enemy right?

I've had a dark-weak enemy avoid a boosted Die For Me! so it's extremely likely but not 100%.

I miss God's Bow, which was around 100% if you didn't null Expel. :smith:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tricky posted:

Really? I'm pretty sure that Die For Me! and Samsara are 100% kills unless the monster resists hama/mudo.

Edit: Apparently that's not true. Huh.

It was the first time I had ever seen such a thing, and neutral shadows surviving one is uncommon but can happen. But it's still really bloody likely and usually worth the 44 SP if you know the target's light/dark resistance. Since Rise prioritizes those two it's usually easy to tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

RentCavalier posted:

Ummmmmmmmmmm my favorite Persona is Kumbhada! He's way cooler looking than Mara! Let's all discuss that.

Beelzebub is the best and you know it. Hey kiddies, It gets Primal Force, Megidolaon, and has four immunities! Fusing the other three in is trivial! Fire inheritence, you say? No problem, It'll have Mabufudyne anyway.

• Locked thread