Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

And, if you don't want to skip them, but are sick of having to hit a button every time someone's said something in order to hear the next line, try enabling "Auto-Advance" in the options menu. Doesn't speed it up much, but makes it flow much better, at least to me.

I don't know if I'm willing to say this is the best thing, but damned if it isn't pretty close. I was sold from the beginning on a HD Persona 4 but Atlus really knocked it out of the park.

I don't get the hate for Chie's voice. Maybe it's because I didn't play the original game with English voices. They all sound a little awkward to me and Chie doesn't sound any better/worse than the rest of the cast so far. I'll probably hate not hearing "Kuma!" constantly in Teddie's squeaky voice, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

If you're new to SMT games, especially P3/P4, then I don't know how you'd even play it without a walkthrough. My first attempt at P3 ended in a "No, gently caress you game" moment where doing slinks instead of dungeon grinding got me into a bad situation. Loosely following a walkthrough made P3P pretty awesome.

Schubalts posted:

Yea, that's a stupid complaint. Well-integrated new characters should be the standard.

It messes with the purity of the game, man. I'm sure if you looked hard enough you could find people bitching about the new shuffle time and not having to XOXOFUCKXOXO for 30 minutes to get the right ability combination.

Meanwhile pretty much every feature I'm seeing is like the best feature ever.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

darealkooky posted:

I always kinda assumed you weren't supposed to :spergin: and shuffle for 20 minutes to get exactly what you want but just deal with the best you can get.

I'm not sure if this is a serious post or trying to parody what is on another forum somewhere. All they did was remove the busy work. Taking whatever you happened to get increases difficulty in a bad way.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Nocturne was just as much about creating overpowered demons as any other game. I can understand how it'd be a lot harder if you did the Never Reroll Fusions Challenge but that's hardly the standard way to play. I don't know how you'd get the TDE doing that.

It's all a moot point, though, since you can crank P4G to Very Hard and always pick abilities at random if that's your thing.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Edit: ^ Welp. poo poo.

Cannot Find Server posted:

How is the difficulty? I played the original on normal the first time through and found it refreshingly difficult without being total bullshit. I've read a couple people that say it's harder on normal than last time?

It feels about the same. Stuff is going to be harder depending on how much you want to min/max things. The drops feel about the same as well, though I never cleared the more bullshit quests in the original.

quote:

And is the new character not terrible? Her artwork doesn't really fit this game (it'd look more at home in Catherine or something) and it kinda makes me really weary of her.

She looks and is voiced like someone hanging out in Hot Topic. Her slink doesn't really match that, at least as far as I've seen, and it's decent enough.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Speedball posted:

New Chie's earned her keep, with me, early on, because her Persona-summoning quote of "Come ON!" is much more rad than the previous actor's "Come on..." (Sorry, Tracey Rooney, I just like Erin Fitzgerald.)

Did she always do her Bruce Lee cry in the english version of the original? Her fighting dance and assist already made her a permanent party member but that puts it over the top.

I wish the vita didn't have the world's worst wireless so that I could spam SOS. Grinding and then running back to the previous dungeon to milk healing cards is slow. The fact that I can't use the online features at home is the only problem with this game.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

I've heard lots of people talk about how much "improved" P4 is over P3, but am not seeing it. There is more "stuff" but nothing i'd outright call an improvement. Am I missing something?

Well there's the fact that you can control your non-MC characters, which was the biggest improvement in the original. P4G brings in fast forward, restarting on the floor you died on, picking cards, Marie's skill cards and probably other stuff I can't remember since it's been a while. Mechanically it's an objectively better game.

In terms of atmosphere it's mixed. P4 slinks resolve with a happy ending and P3 slinks resolve with... characters who are slightly less sad. That depressed atmosphere may be what you're missing. That's why you finish P4 and immediately replay P3P.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

It took a while and a lot of fiddling (I really need a fusion chart) but I pulled out a Victory Cry on a Matador. Along the way I picked up Agneyastra, Brave Blade, Arms Master and Repel Physical. Now I'm wondering what other skills I could pick up.

This... this is going to get silly, isn't it?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

gently caress fishing and fortunes forever. I made it past the first fishing try for the guide I was following, hit the first fortune event... and there were no fortunes. The last save is six days of menu selects and a fishing attempt beforehand. I have no idea if I can ever waggle my way towards a perfect fishing attempt again.

If nothing else this reinforced that saving every day is required. I got slack because the s-links were easy to reproduce with fast forward.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Sea Guardian Rage is an actual medical condition and I have it. Going by gamefaqs I need three of them (for Chie/Kanji/Naoto weapons) and just catching one is proving to be hell.

ChiTownEddie posted:

Now I just gotta decide if I want to break away from good ole Black Frost...I am like level 75 after all.

The stat/level cards are evil. I've got a 44 Matador with Arms Master/Myriad Arrows/Victory Cry that has pulled me through two dungeons. Every time I look at what to fuse him into the huge drop in Str scares me.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Sankis posted:

You don't lose tries or bait by doing this before you get a bite.

It's not that, it's the fishing itself. The Sea Guardian is just lucky triangle prompts. When I finally got one of him (I'd rather grind than fish more) I got a bunch of prompts. Following that there was a single attempt that had to run over five minutes with about four prompts.

Trying to save/reload my way into getting three of them isn't going to happen.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Well, it was painful, but it had to be done:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Speedball posted:

I'm glad there's two battle themes now. I just wish there were even more!

Unfortunately you'll only ever hear the original unless you get a shadow in a box. I wish they'd reversed that. They're both great but occasional nostalgia would have been a better fit.

Also, yes, Nocturne's music was amazing. Going to need to replay that after P4G finishes.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Uznare posted:

I just finished my first playthrough of P4G and I am slightly saddened by how easy the game is now

How would they make the game harder, though? Any knowledge requirement is removed by having internet access and/or previous knowledge of the mechanics. Unless they added in action gameplay of some kind the only difficulty settings available are grinding time and luck. Those are both the worst kinds of difficulty.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

Persona 4 was never a hard game, now I just have more freedom of choice in terms of what pokemon I can use.

I'm wondering how much of the commentary about Golden being easy is based on blind runs in the original. It wasn't horribly difficult but I certainly remember having an annoying time dealing with early fox prices and trying to balance out slinks/dungeon time.

Now I'm rolling with a Trumpeter with Victory Cry and the Megidolaon never stops.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Goddrat Ai you are the worst date imaginable. The other guy really dodged a bullet.

I never felt the need in the original but I'm going for max everything this time around. Over 70 hours in and I'm in January. There is entirely too much content in this game and it is awesome. The only thing I'm not going to see is Ayane's link/date(s) and that is entirely fine with me.

Dr Pepper posted:

If being unable to choose what abilities are passed down in fusion makes things harder then it's the wrong kind of difficulty.

Pretty much everything in SMT games that people describe as hard is the wrong kind of difficulty. You could replace "difficulty" with "tedium/bullshit" and it'd be more accurate.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I really hate whomever at Atlus decided that you'd have to triple-fuse everything in this game. I'm sitting at 76% and everything else either requires triple fusions or is a double that requires a triple. It's like punishment for getting your slinks up.

Coughing Hobo posted:

the thing that's thrown me for the biggest laugh and cheer out of everything I've seen added to P4G so far.

That tune is as awesome as the new January music is depressing.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Certain Arcanas always need triple fusion, but the results of triple fusion can usually be achieved through double fusion as well.

Yeah, it's the Aeon/Jester/Judge personas that I need. They're just a bitch. Thankfully max compendium has been abandoned as they fixed the original's farming trick and there's no way in hell I'm grinding 3m+ manually.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Judgement does suck, but Aeon and Jester can be finished fairly easily if you have the higher ones by using the aforementioned "fuse two/three of the same arcana" trick. That's actually exactly what I did to round out my compendium.

I actually lucked out and scored a Metatron on some random fusion. I was pretty shocked when suddenly all these fusion options opened up. I carded everything good except Mabufudyne, which I planned to card in my next free day after leveling up Byakko. At ~80% I figured I could probably grind the rest during the final (true ending) dungeon. Almost all of the tricky fusions were done and the rest could be downgraded with same arcana fusions.

Then I found out that I missed the new-to-P4G dungeon flag. gently caress. Warp back a month and a half and start over. :suicide:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Fire posted:

Whats this?

Endgame spoilers: On 01/02 Margaret tells you Marie left. Marge can locate Marie and take you to where she is, but it involves great danger. I took this to mean she'd port my rear end to a dungeon. It in fact means nothing of the sort, and just sets a flag for a later dungeon. You don't actually go anywhere. If you take this to mean a dungeon that you can do later then Marie and her dungeon are gone forever as of 01/04. You even get an event that signifies it although you don't realize what's happened until you ask the internet.

It's not that terrible since I shaved five days or so off my initial time and am more prepared for carding NG+ stuff. It's still annoying that they did an LA Noire answer to set the flag.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

With just under (or over, if you count reverting to an earlier save) 100 hours on my final pre-boss save it's finally game over. The new ending is awesome. It's a lot happier and definitely fits P4 more. In the end the only things I missed were two scooter models. There just weren't enough nights to make scooters and robots. What an incredible game.

On a sad note, there are no more golden hands. I killed them all.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

RadicalWall posted:

EDIT: Also I only ran into the Reaper once all game when I was in no condition to fight him and I can't seem to spawn him at all anymore. Usually the chains only start rattling once I've opened the last chest on the floor.

I think it's been posted before, but here's the short version: Go to Castle, run up to floor five, Goho-M, save your game, go back to Castle on floor one, loot it and re-enter it until you have opened 20 chests, save game, go to Castle floor five, open both chests. Reload and try floor five again if you don't get a reaper. Gold chests don't count.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

Not true! I actually managed to get all 6 robots, all 6 scooters, and all 6 Persona dolls. That said, I didn't manage to read all the books (and gave up trying since I missed out on Fun with Numbers and the O-Cha Way). :shobon:

It was either books or models and the books give a trophy... so yeah. The scheduling guide I was using changed pretty drastically while I was playing around July/August and there was a lot of catching up via fortunes. I might actually platinum the game in NG+ if I can be bothered to grind that stupid Risette trophy. It's tempting to start NG+ right away but leaving some time to forget s-links would probably make the second playthrough more fun.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Can, did, will do it again. Chie/Kanji/Naoto for life.

This is seriously Team The Best Characters. You don't need a healer if nothing lives long enough to damage you.

Edit:

ShadeofDante posted:

It's early December. I'm trying to finish the Moon S. Link. I was already in a relationship going into this, and I apparently inadvertently ended up in a relationship with Ai? Is it possible to max this link and then fix things before Christmas?

In cases where you have more than one relationship, you'll get a choice.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jan 3, 2013

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

FauxGateau posted:

I'm thinking it's a better idea to get that out of the way so I don't have to waste time in the next playthrough doing social links to gain bonus exp or being unable to fuse due to a low level.

You'll need to farm a lot of hands. It's a pretty big slog, even with Yoshi and everyone maxed. Magatsu Mandala 3 is your friend for hand farming. I'd say it took four hours just doing that plus the sale of all but a small portion of equipment/items/materials to fill out the compendium. Depending on how complete your compendium is this may be easier or harder for you.

Unless you have video game ocd it won't matter and all you'll get is a summoning discount and a trophy with the promise of another trophy on NG+.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

If this is FES we're talking about, you also can't get tired on the final day IIRC. So any grinding you need to do could be done on that day.

My memory sucks, but I think that the not getting tired on the final day before a boss was in vanilla P3 but removed in FES. I remember quitting because I'd burned up too much time before the next boss and was screwed.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Marie is such a stereotypical angstyteen that I never expected much from her. Her entire story is shutupstupidbadgodwhowrotethis and I have no idea why she's there to begin with beyond the outfit. Every character in the game seems ready to fall apart if you're not there to be their lifeline. There's tons of easily missed "must play through multiple times" bullshit that requires following a guide to navigate. The true ending (which I didn't do in the original) is more tacked-on than last minute multiplayer modes in modern games. Unlike the discretion showed by P3's protagonist Yu likes to "spend a long time" in the middle of the afternoon in front of two giant open windows facing a block of houses and once I saw that I couldn't unsee it.

This is all forgiven as soon as the epilogue starts because aside from a certain character's cthuluhair it is completely awesome.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Wow, P4P would have been pretty bad. I can't imagine the game actually being worse than the PS2 version. P3P's visual novel style is really grating on me the second time around.

Protocol7 posted:

My Personas are consistently lower level than that of my party members, and I find I have to consistently fuse them to get even close to their level. What am I doing wrong?

This is normal. You're supposed to level your links and constantly fuse new personas in order to keep up.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Protocol7 posted:

OK good. I do have a ridiculously OP set where everything uses health right now, and everyone else just heals me.

Physical skills never stop being awesome either, so just keep godpunching enemies until the credits roll. I'm actually looking forward to my second playthrough with Yukiko/Teddie/Yosuke because it'd be nice to see spells that are not Megidolaon with the random -dyne thrown in there from Naoto on phys immunes.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Really Pants posted:

Where's a good place to find a Mind Charge skillcard?

Mind Charge comes from Alice but you're probably better off fusing a megidolaon/MC combo. I think Taotie is the earliest you'll get MC.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Sharkman posted:

Say, what's the best hit-all Physical skill I could get? Agneyastra is cool and all, but it almost never hits with all three. I have skill cards for Brave Blade and Myriad Arrows, but I'm seeing some people on the internet say that Blade of Fury is better, despite being a Medium Phys attack.

There's always going to be a point where using a (technically) weaker skill that costs less HP is better. If you want the best of the best all the time then fuse Victory Cry onto something and use Myriad Arrows/God's Hand until you get the uniques. For what it's worth I always liked the multihit ones more for all targets.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Really Pants posted:

I think I should have started on Hard or Very Hard. I've reached a point where every kid on the team is an absolute hell machine, and Relaxing Wave outpaces my losses on everything except boss fights.

This will always happen unless you actively try to avoid it. Cranking up the difficulty just removes retry options and increases grinding time. They could put "Select Castle difficulty" at the top of that screen and it'd be pretty accurate.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

RadicalR posted:

Kashiwagi... I dunno. I could possibly see that one.

It'd be like the reverse of a normal slink.

:cool: So I could use some help studying...
;-* SHOW ME YOUR ROOOOOM

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

U.T. Raptor posted:

Did you know that giving one of the female party members that skimpy outfit gets different dialog from them if you're in a relationship? Because it does.

I'm guessing this is why there was fanservicey dialogue from the maid outfits as well. It's worse than the chat from those outfits. Sometimes attention to detail is a bad thing.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Well poo poo. I just started NG+ and was going for platinum. I thought it was odd when I got the opened the compendium and got the trophy there, since I have a screenshot where I got it the first time. Opening the trophies app it looks like I'm at 54%. Completing the meat bowl, the ones for maxing slinks and a bunch of others (I was missing <5) are gone. I still have my save with those things unlocked but the game doesn't register that it's happened.

It there a trick to forcing the vita to update it's trophy progress?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

alcharagia posted:

Personally I couldn't care less about, say, Yukiko or Rise

They're boring because they're the same link. Everyone wants me to be $thing. I don't want to be $thing because I'm my own person! Ok, I'll be $thing.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

There's a pretty good case for the lines not carrying over. There's a gamefaqs guide for it, though it's not so much a guide and more a braindump of someone researching it. The short version is to play through the game in the most annoyingly unfun way possible. Never level up, never level slinks, never win battles, stand there and hope to get hit with a status effect, mash in and out of analyze to milk more quotes, die until you're almost out of continues and then run away. Repeat for every single character and every status effect.

They should have dumped that terrible trophy and given one for building all the models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

Analyze lines don't count towards the trophy.

It's just for cycling the lines. She resets and might spout off her second line for a situation or give up another line when multiple possibilities exist. Unless you're saying that cycling doesn't work, which seems to go against everything I've read.

I've got two platinums ever and they're in both Souls game. Those at least had "Totally 100% the game" trophies instead of "Do insanely tedious poo poo until you hate this game" trophies.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jun 21, 2013

• Locked thread