Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
Starting to get into this now. I have finished Persona 4 before so I started on Hard. It is definitely noticeable. It seems most enemies would have perhaps 50% more HP each. I ran into the Chie battle with only half SP, and ran out of all items and SP before beating it. Gonna get a few more levels and try again. If you die you get an option to restart from the last floor, which is great. Also, the new shuffle time is excellent, brings in cool features from Persona 3's shuffle time and is a lot easier to understand.

This is game is amazing so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
Yep I gained a couple of levels and breezed through Chie. This game is going to be awesome, I can't wait to try out some new characters this playthrough with the rebalanced skill sets.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Vinlaen posted:

So... is there any difficulty what-so-ever in "Easy" and "Very Easy" modes?

I'm leaning towards "Very Easy" because you can instantly retry if you die which sounds great for me because I have very limited time to play and I don't want too much of a challenge but mostly just want to enjoy the story, but I still want a balance so gaining personas, etc, still has a point to it.

I don't know how the difficulty is balanced in Golden, but I found with Normal difficulty on the PS2, it was moderately difficult while learning the game, say the first half of it. After that it became comfortable and I didn't have many issues. I would say start on Easy to make sure that the challenge doesn't kill your progress, but you still have to pay attention to fusion and good skill mixes etc.

Don't worry about the ability to restart after a battle, it's overkill. Restarting from the same floor is perfectly fine.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
Ha, I did some grinding, got to level 16ish and absolutely thrashed Yukiko's fight. I had a fire resistant persona with Red Wall all ready to go and just kept Red Wall up on Chie. It seems they switched the weaknesses over in that fight... it is weak to ice and the partner is not. Oh well, Chie never got hit by fire and it was a comfortable fight. I'm playing on Hard and it seems to be a pretty good difficulty, seems to me to be about as difficult as my first playthrough on Normal.

I love helping people with the SoS thing and reading their messages later. I rarely get more than 1 person encouraging me in a fight though.

They added a lot of stuff to do in the day, I am really short on time at the moment, I just want to get Yosuke and Chie's links higher...

What link do they start dying for you in battle?

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
Is there any advantage to giving a skill card to Marie more than once?

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Prism posted:

It wouldn't even let me do it (I had two Sharp Students). She took one and the other never showed up to give her.

So no.

Oh right, I had 4 Agi cards and just hit register all and they disappeared from the list. The rest are probably still in my inventory.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
When will your buddies start taking a hit for you? I miss that :(

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
I just beat Shadow Mitsuo. Quite comfortably too. I'm playing on hard, party members around level 45. He only managed to reform his shell once, and the damage he was doing was just not scary enough. I'm playing on Hard too. The most annoying thing he did was Dekaja, which meant another turn of Matarukaja. Agidyne + Fire amp was useful.

I expected Hard to be a lot more difficult so far, it is only my second playthrough.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Speedball posted:

Yeah, Naoto is now second only to the main character in pure versatility.

Is there some sort of missable trigger you can get to start Kanji's Emperor S-Link? I swear I was up, down and all around the school for months. I have since completely given up on ever actually using him.

You talk to Kanji on the first Practice building floor. Then you have to talk to a girl on the Classroom building 2nd floor, who is not always there. Once that is done talk to Kanji again to start the S.Link.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
Ahh I just finished my first playthrough in Golden. Over 70 hours to get the true ending and my main character to level 94. Of course at level 94 the last two dungeons were pretty easy. I was playing on Hard but having Futsunushi and Firm stance along with Rise being overpowered meant my MC was never under threat. And wow can Kanji deal out some serious damage later on. The new persona forms are real crazy looking but I like it, even if they can only be used in two dungeons.

I like the extended ending, it is just more warm and fuzzy feelings, but I can't complain about that. Also I noticed something interesting if you don't max Dojima's link for him to mention that he is investigating his wife's death he will tell you that in the epilogue. I am not sure if he does it anyway but it sounded like he was telling you for the first time in my game, even though normally you would learn that in the S Link.

Hmm I am facing the prospect of playing through again and I might set it to Very Hard. I was far too overleveled in my game due to gold hands, maybe I just need some self control. I didn't really do any grinding, I just beat all the optional bosses, but everyone still ended up in the high 80s.

Oh and how about the second to last dungeon? Gimmicky nonsense but I warmed up to Marie a little bit by the end of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
Oh drat it. I just loaded my save... I am on the 18th of July. I missed the book.

• Locked thread