Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

So I've been playing for a while and I didn't think I was too under leveled at the low to mid seventies for Izanami's dungeon. Then I got to the boss and managed to clear her, only to be immediately thrown into another boss fight? How are you supposed to keep your team mates alive for the final megidolaon spam before she switches? My party was set up with Chie dealing physical damage, Naoto on magic damage, Yukiko switching between burning leaves and healing, with me bouncing back and forth between doing damage with Tam Lin and healing with Raphael. Honestly, I just don't see how you're supposed to fight a second boss immediately afterwards, considering you can't really buy SP-recovery items. I've heard that Yoshitsune is good for the fight, but I'm wondering if it would be worth the grind, seeing has how I haven't seen a whole lot of golden hands.

Great game though, and I'm really looking forward to new game+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Just beat it and am already planning a second playthrough. Level 72 is apparently underleveled, as I ground out about 13 more levels and got both Yoshitsune and Trumepeter. Debilitate into a power-charged hassou tobi tore the boss apart to the point that other party members felt kind of useless, aside from a healer. Although, maybe I'll pick up P3P, since I've had P3FES for years and never finished it.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Is the december miniboss just a "gently caress you go level" check or is there some trick I'm not getting. Magic is just doing poo poo damage, even with a break on him, so it feels like a blitz physical damage fight. But once he starts killing a dude I can't do enough each turn to hurt him and try to keep poor teddie alive.

That's the thing, it has a lot of magic defense but not much physical, to my knowledge. I got by with Chie doing most of the damage and Yukiko being dedicated healer. I'm not sure there's much else to it.

Poops Mcgoots fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 2, 2013

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

psychoticBacofoil posted:

So I'm stuck at the June/July dungeon on July 6th and my characters are at 23, 21, 20, 24 (Not using Kanji). I don't know if I'm strong enough to make it through the dungeon and I'm told that I'm dangerously close to the deadline. What should I do?

You can still go home on the last day and never actually rescue the person. You'll get a game over and Igor will give you the option of going one week in the past to give you some time to grind up. Unless that option is exclusive to normal and lower

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

No, I finished Heaven quick and had Nanako's s. link at about 6 my first time through and didn't get fast-forwarded.

The only thing I can think of that could have happened was (spoilers with the suspect in the hospital) if you toss the suspect into the tv as opposed to trying to calm everyone down and figure out their motives.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Jet Ready Go posted:

I'm a bit confused about what carries over the NG+ because with the compendium some people are saying you can buy old Persona right away and others are saying you still have to be at the correct level to buy them. Any of you know for SURE (and not through second hand accounts) which it is?

Your level doesn't matter when summoning from the compendium. Go ahead and make the most broken dude ever and go to town on the first dungeon.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I was definitely blown away with P4G and if they're gonna continue development of Persona on the vita, then I can't wait to see what they do with a game designed from the ground up for the platform.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

Most of the major characters in the story represent the various Arcana of the Tarot. Conversely, their Shadows (if they appear) represent the Reversed form of that Arcana. Mitsuo's Arcana is the Hermit. Normally, in the Fool's Journey, the Hermit represents a wise, old figure who lives in isolation that the Fool seeks out to learn wisdom from. But Mitsuo isn't just the Hermit; he's the Hermit Reversed. A gibbering madman with no real wisdom or insight. A charlatan who just wants recognition and notoriety that, on some level, he knows he doesn't really deserve. That's why the Investigation Team wasn't sure which one was the real Mitsuo and which was the Shadow at first. And it's also why his Shadow claims that it's empty; Mitsuo embraces the dark, negative aspects of himself, leaving nothing for the Shadow to embody. When you defeat it, it fades away because with Mitsuo's corrupted ego willingly embracing his own inner darkness, it has nothing it can use to maintain itself as a distinct, separate entity.

At least, that's one possible interpretation.

This is actually really neat, and I would love it if you could give more explanations as to how each character represents the arcana of the tarot deck.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Jet Ready Go posted:

As if killing hookers and mass murders are?

The story was meant to be inappropriate because she's working through some issues, but seriously though it's still just a video game and I always get a bit defensive when people take the moral high ground on certain aspects of a video game and movies but just shrug off violence and death in the same sentence.

The way I see it, we all play video games and shouldn't see sex as anything worse or better than violence in a game. It's just fantasy yet some (and I don't mean you guys) of us allow ourselves to be worked up over things that shouldn't matter. This was a game made for an older crowd, not like Mario, so dealing with sexual situations should just be par the course.

I think you're fixating a little too much on the sex part and not enough on the "with a minor" part. That said, I do understand that it's supposed to make the player uncomfortable and definitely works in the context of the s. link.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

carry on then posted:

Thanks for all the pointers, I'll try some different strategies. I've probably neglected the Hermit (only at level 2) so that's why the Fox doesn't seem like much help. I've attempted the boss once and while I wasn't destroyed immediately, it didn't feel like I had any control over how the fight was progressing (I'd chip away at his health bit by bit, then he'd nearly kill all of the party, requiring a Mediarama and/or Amrita from my biggest damage dealers) As for the grinding, my main issue is just those high-damage attacks at bad times; maybe if I went a few floors down I'd fare better.

It probably wouldn't be too bad getting a mulligan for the week; I'd lose a bunch of social link ranks including a /!\serious relationship/!\ but I already have the trophy so it's not a big loss.

If you don't have black frost yet, try to get him. That wound up being what I needed to get past that part.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Rascyc posted:

What's the best dungeon for hand farming? I need 5 of their rare jewel drops (of which I have 0, cause I guess I traded them away already). Also the shrine girl is not asking me for a guardian, but rather an genji fish. Do I need to work her all the way up to guardian by giving her fish in progression? Ugh.

Glad there wasn't a trophy for full quest completion. Looks like I can do this quest line on NG+ and hopefully save all my Xandrite throughout the game to do it. Kashigiri's costumes are all awful anyway.

I think she asks for two fish, then after that she will turn into a shop where you can trade whatever fish you want and in whatever quantity. Granted, I did this in January, so it may be time sensitive.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Sex_Ferguson posted:

It's funny in the comic when it has context, but the translators really just threw it in as a reference. It really has no reason to be there even in the context of the conversation it's used in and it's turned into an actual thing later in the S. Link instead of a one time joke, so it's just dumb at that point because it has even less context than before.

IE: The joke was funny because Hiimdaisy is good at comedy and the Atlus team is bad at referential humor.

I kind of prefer the dragged out answer, since hearing a monotone "steaaaaak" is better than some silly translation joke.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

U.T. Raptor posted:

According to this, possible recipes for Masakado include: Trumpeter x Jatayu x Cu Chulain and Ananta x Cu Chulain x Odin :eng101:

Fusion guides like this operate under the assumption that your personas are at or close to their base levels, since the highest level persona is the one to be used as the third part of the fusion, regardless of what you want.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

The current levels are used to determine the order they will be fused in for determining arcana, the highest being used last. As for the determining the level, add the base levels of the personas used, divide by three, add five, then round up.

At least, that's what this gamefaqs guide says.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Man, I love this game, but I just rewatched the epilogue/true end and I have to wonder why they didn't make their new outfits unlockable costumes.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Vindicator posted:

My go-to party is Yosuke, Yukiko and Teddie, with my character either using Odin or Thor for lightning weaknesses. All three party buffs, Yukiko for healing and murder by fire, every elemental weakness covered. The downside is no-one's copping a chair across the face.

I used Kanji in my first playthrough but it bothered me that I had to sacrifice Yukiko's damage output every two turns or so to heal him up. At least with all spellcasting party members everyone can just SP-dump unless something goes wrong.

Naoto is of course still useless :P

Kanji hits so goddamned hard though that he's worth it. And if you're bringing him, you gotta be a bro and bring Naoto too. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Yeah, but all those turns spent using burning petals could have been saved with a single hassou tobi. Basically it's pointless to argue the efficacy of battle strategies as long as that attack exists.

• Locked thread