Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
God dammit, Shadow Yukiko (I have to spoiler this in this thread, right?) will never not be a kick in the balls on new playthroughs. Oh well, it took me a few tries to beat her and that's probably the most retries any boss battle in the game is going to make me take. Gotta say though, I love some of the new additions they've made. My best friend the skip button is cool, now Arcana chances are actually not dumb mini-games, books serve a purpose, and the Persona search function is awesome. Oh and Time to Make History is a much welcome music addition since I got sick of Reach Out to the Truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ryotaro was voiced by J. B. Blanc? It's always sounded just like David Lodge to me, maybe there was some confirmation I wasn't aware of.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Arcana Chance was pointless, because why in the hell would I want to risk getting 1 EXP from the next ten fights or have my persona's stats decreased or some poo poo like that? The rewards were occasionally nice, but it just wasn't worth it.

Arcana Chance was always pretty easy to manipulate from what I remember, it's just that the really good stuff like extra exp, money, and healing all of your stuff was always so rare that it begs the question why it was ever really worth it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

DeathBySpoon posted:

Oh yeah, what triggers the new combination attack things? Chie and Yukiko did one in a battle and I have no idea how, but it was awesome.

It'll randomly activate if you have any enemies left after an All-Out Attack.

The other two are Yosuke+Teddie and Naoto+Kanji.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Marie is dull, like super dull. Nothing about her is interesting it's just hearing her say a few funny things and then she makes like 20 obnoxious comments and writes crappy poetry. I also hate her design, but that's a different thing altogether. Anyways, I'm at the third dungeon and this is probably the first time in any playthrough of P4 I've been OCD about leveling my Personae up so I can fuse them for better skills and to register them with all of their abilities. Before I'd just make the strongest thing I could and then waste whatever showed up.

Also, whoever though of adding in the "If you die you start at the beginning of the floor" idea deserves a bonus. Games where your main character dies and you lose are obnoxious and it's nice to see games like FFXIII and Persona 4 Golden find ways to make that less of an inconvenience.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Why? I mean I've only got up to her S. Link level 4, but the unconditional love that the group seems to have for her so far and how nothing she says ever seems to actually annoy when it is genuinely mean-spirited to them just sort of annoys me.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If I remember correctly then they shuffled around some old persona and added a few new ones for the Jester Arcana.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Aiya only boosts three of your stats (Except Expression) but it boosts them well and saves you a lot of trouble in getting those stats up during other days, so it's pretty worth it.

Anyways, Adachi knowing magic tricks is awesome. I love Adachi, his S. Link is exactly what I'd hoped it would be so far and it certainly gives an idea for what kind of guy he really is.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Edit: RentCavalier's probably right.

Also,

Some sweet rear end costumes in this game, hell yeah.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 23, 2012

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Necroneocon posted:

How do I get more auto-combos? Like when Chie and Yukiko do twin dragons? I need more of that.

Thanks!

It's character specific, there are only three.

Chie + Yukiko
Yosuke + Teddie
Kanji + Naoto

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Necroneocon posted:

Another dumb question. I already met up with the fox, got the relationship blah blah. I did an ema thing and now it wants me to meet up with the fox again.

My question is where do I meet up with the fox I search all over and can never find it!

The Fox isn't going to be at the shrine automatically, if you completed the quest then by picking the prayer shrine (which is how you even talk to the Fox to begin with) then the Fox should show up. The only reason the Fox wouldn't show up is you're not done with the quest yet.

weast posted:

Does anybody know what the stones such as Iolite and Fluorite do?

Go to Shiroku at night and you can trade the gems for items.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Okay, I don't usually care for beach crap in anything Japanese, but visiting the beach with the group in this game is hysterical.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Quiz Show is strangely engaging. Mostly because the characters will sometimes get into little conversations about the questions and to see them just have fun commentary is great. Sadly, you have to basically let them have questions to hear the good dialogue and not just "GENERIC COMPLIMENT."

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

VarrosAnon posted:

This has got to be the only game with this much exposition that I'm totally okay with. Generally, games I play with this much goddamn dialog (MGS4, Final Fantasy, etc) either get too complicated or too ridiculous. I think Persona 4's magic, at least for me, comes down to self-awareness. There are no scenes or lines I would peg as unnecessary, and it has a great quality to the story that, even with general teenager dialog that can sometimes be very valley-girl, it always seems well-written and engaging.

Even if there weren't any lines that were unnecessary (There aren't) it is still ridiculous how long the intro is, especially during multiple playthroughs where you don't want to see the exact same thing again and just want to do what you missed. Even skipping the scenes takes nearly an hour to do and it is the worst part of the game because it refuses to just let you play it until you go through it's exposition filled opening, which is obnoxious.

Anyways on another subject, I did not remember Naoto's dungeon being so drat obnoxious. Then again, the new gold hands in that one are at their worst there because not only do they still forever to kill, but they can inflict status ailments that can render your party completely ineffectual (Enervation and Panic) and eat up several turns if you don't have any items to fix it. But drat, do they give a lot of EXP for just killing one of them.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 25, 2012

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
So um, after saving Naoto you get dragged into doing a stupid band thing... this is terrible. It's not funny, it has no point, it's incredibly contrived, and it's eating up the remaining days I have because they felt the need to give Rie Kugimiya some dumb song for her to sing. Also, how in the hell does the group just suddenly learn a song through practicing one day? Especially when like two of them have any sort of experience with music?

I know I'm probably overthinking this, but it's one of those things they added that was stupid and unnecessary.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh boy, the culture festival. I'm gonna need my skip button now more than ever. Anyways, time for some more pictures of neat stuff...

The Cheerleading Outfit Set

OUENDAN! Osu!

And Kanji and Naoto's sweet rear end combo attack.

This game is pretty awesome. Also, after completing Naoto's dungeon I went on a mass killing spree on all of the extra bosses available to me and I'm probably overleveled for the next dungeon as a result, funny how that happens.

Also, question. Adachi seems to stop actually letting you advance his S. Link at points, the game'll say stuff like "Let the investigation advance and try again then" and I'm assuming that basically means more of his S. Link is unlocked with story progression?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't even understand how SOS actually works, like I've pressed the button and sent help, but what has it actually done?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

JINKY posted:

Anyone else thinking that between skill cards, the new retry system, SOS, going out at night, and the new shuffle time after battles that they've made the game WAY too easy?

Not really, Persona 4's always been pretty easy. Adding these new mechanics don't really change much, I've blazed through the game without the skill cards or using SOS and it's still been easy. The retry feature is nice solely because I don't lose almost an hour of progress on the floor before the boss by some wayward mudo, so if anything they're saving me time on that. Shuffle Time's just... there, I mean it's no better or worse than before, it's just now there's not an obnoxious mini-game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kagon posted:

From what I can tell, you can't have someone in the TV for him to be available. Some of the ranks can only occur during the day, and some only occur at night. I'm not sure if anyone would consider it spoilers, but here are the ranks for those below:

Rank 1, 2, and 6 are during the day. Rank 3, 4, and 5 are during the evening. After rank 6, I haven't been able to get him to be available though..

I read on Gamefaqs and it seems that the rest of his S. Link becomes available after certain story events. I don't know how true that is, but I've got Adachi at Level 6 and I'm close enough to those events to see how true it is.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'd like it more if the group took solving the murders a bit more seriously and didn't get distracted to do a stupid loving concert, but overall the tone doesn't matter so long as the story compliments it well enough, to me anyways.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Alright I can confirm that after Rank 6 Adachi's S. Link is advanced through storyline events. Rank 7 is achieved after completing Nanako's dungeon.

That's kind of a neat thing I guess, but sort of obnoxious for a first playthrough.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I prefer the old voice, mostly because it's something new with this kind of character and I think Erin Fitzgerald's is pretty generic, although it's not bad, I was just expecting a different kind of take on the voice.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Got past the scene with (LATE GAME SPOILERS HOLY poo poo!)Yosuke attempting to murder Nametame. This scene was every bit as infuriating and stupid as I remembered. How the gently caress do you form a group of people to prevent murders and then attempt to do it yourself and then act like the guy who's trying to stop you from doing it is crazy when it was HIS COUSIN that was just killed?

Seriously, gently caress Yosuke.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 28, 2012

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, sorry about that. Anyways, I'm finding it weird having only like 5 S. Links completed near the end of the game. It feels a bit weird knowing I've played this game inside and out, but the restrictions with leveling up my social stats kick my rear end in eating up dates.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
(Late-Game Spoiler)If you maxed Marie's S. Link then there's more story content in the form of a new dungeon in February, otherwise you're basically just getting some extra days for S. Links.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Thundercracker posted:

That is good to know. Haven't started golden yet, but how easy is it to max that S. Link

At first it takes a bit, but I ranked up the last 5 ranks of it in December and they were all very easy. In fact if Adachi's S. Link is any example I think some of those ranks are dependent on what part of the story you're in.

EDIT:

Nate RFB posted:

Are any of the new S. Links like Death, where you don't need the corresponding Persona to get the most amount of points? That is, they level up at every event. Since it seems they are more restricted in terms of when you can do them, and I'd suspect those new Persona arcana are harder to find earlier in the game anyway.

Nope, they level up automatically sometimes, but for the most part you should probably have the corresponding Persona to help with it. Although it's not like it's entirely necessary, I've never had an Aeon Persona once and I leveled up Marie's just fine.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 28, 2012

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Warning about the new dungeon.

It is very gimmicky and you will come to hate it as much as I do just for how long and stupid the gimmick of it is. You cannot use any of your previously obtained weapons, items, it eats your SP after every fight, there is a boss that takes loving FOREVER TO KILL on just the fourth floor, and you are stuck with default clothing so don't expect to have fun with the new mid-winter and skiing outfits you just got. Also, it contains revelations for the story that are equally dumb and stupid.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

HiveCommander posted:

Was just about to fuse myself a badass monkey-mage dude so I could relish in some monkey magic, but Igor had to go gently caress it up.
Instead, I got stuck with a starfish that... inherited all the skills I selected for monkey-mage... and learnt Megidola... is immune to 2 elements, resists 1, and is weak to physical... but learns Resist Physical in 1 level anyway...

I'm actually very OK with this.

How do you guys deal with the golden hands in this game? I usually get MC to use Mind Charge, someone else to nerf their defences, and Yukiko to throw Fire break on them. Then I nuke them with a Fire Amp+Fire Vow infused Agidyne to slam them for most of their HP, seems to do the trick quite well. 1-3 basic attacks pretty much kills them after that.

At first I just had Chie and Kanji beast through them with super powerful physical attacks. After getting Naoto they sort of just became trivial and died to her megido spells with no trouble, it's free EXP when you fight Golden Hands with Naoto.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Spoilers for Jester Max Rank.

Adachi: You're a dumbass.

Amazing.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No do not do them first until your second playthrough. Everyone says to do those first then ignores how much stat boosting you need to do to actually complete those and with how many levels of expression and understanding are required you will find it difficult to max those out in time.

The extra month in Golden gives a bit more time for you to complete it though thankfully.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I read how you get this max rank but do you need to go through with it to count as finishing every S Link for the ultimate Persona? Not sure how that's supposed to play out.

I'm not totally sure myself, I still haven't finished my first playthrough of the game, but I'd imagine they do count towards the Ultimate Persona.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh no, I know that. I've already maxed Adachi's S. Link since I'm in Yomotsu Hirasaka now. I just thought Awesome Ghost was asking if Adachi's S. Link counts towards the Ultimate persona for Yu... which I think it does?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Wait, is there any reason to not have more than one girlfriend besides that Valentine's Day thing? Because that doesn't even seem all that bad.

Why the hell does it even matter? Do people seriously feel like they need all of the anime babes? There's no way you like more than half of the girls enough to realistically give a poo poo.

Aphrodite posted:

I really hope Persona 5 comes up with a battle system that's not awful.

I hope Persona 5 gets rid of the dating sim, I really do.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Superstring posted:

But you have to finish Marie before catching the true culprit?

Yes, because she disappears for all of January and February.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I just got the coronet armor... yeah, that is certainly a costume I'm never using again. Also, for those who don't know the MC gets a costume that dressed him up like Dojima and it is awesome.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

HiveCommander posted:

Details!! How do I obtain said costume??

I'm not sure you should want the Coronet armor, but it's obtained near the end of the game from a quest by Kashiwagi that is literally just answer like two questions correctly and it's yours.

The Hardboiled one I just bought from Okina after November.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'd say the next dungeon is a good chance for you to start getting some new Persona because it drops a lot of them that have great skills and Black Frost's stuff ain't gonna cut it for the next dungeon. Next dungeon has guys like Melchizedek and Siegfried, if you have a chance to make one of them or get them from an arcana chance, DO IT.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's funny how easy it is to completely destroy the bosses in the late game when Rise tosses buffs at you. Hell, she even can power charge and mind charge your characters for you, it's so hysterical how much it trivializes later bosses.

EDIT:
Last Boss spoilers
Also, I can confirm that Adachi and Marie appear in the cheering you on after you get pulled into the abyss by Izanami if you max their S. Links.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 4, 2012

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

DeathBySpoon posted:

What skills are those / how do you get them on her?

Just advance her S. Link, that's really all you need to do and everything else takes care of itself.

Also I finished the game so I'm gonna spoil it one last time before my next playthrough.

ENDING SPOILERS
Wow, it is honestly amazing how far this game goes with Marie. Whenever P4G first introduced Marie in Japan, I knew full and well she was either going to be one of two things: A character who is just an S. Link with no influence on the story or one who is shove so terribly into the story and the game tries to essentially force her down your throat. Her entire character arc is boring and tried, it's not even really complete when you finish her S. Link, her entire dungeon is bad, the reveal that she is basically a double agent is dumb, the fact that the Sagiri are a thing, but only one of them seemed to have its own identity is dumb and doesn't answer any questions. Her boss battle also managed to be the worst in the game, thank you for making a game of rather solid boss fights then adding this stupid gimmick, Atlus. The ending where it's revealed she's actually the good half of Izanami is the worst loving plot twist, because it just tells you that Marie only exists so you can date the villain. And finally, the bonus ending where she's reincarnated as a weather person who controls the weather and retains all of her memories is probably the least worst out of anything involving Marie, but it's still very much like what I'd read out of a fanfiction.

I don't want to make the lame joke of calling her a Mary Sue, so I won't, but this character is just so obtrusive to the main cast that I can not like her in any capacity just because she said "Fsteak."

Now I'm sorry for the giant spoiler tag for anyone else so I'll just say this. This is a really good port of the PS2 game with a lot of cool new stuff, everything added either makes the game intuitive, more fun or in general is just plainly inoffensive to not really warrant criticism... except for the spoiler I posted. Only read that if you've gotten the bonus ending of the game and want to read my silly ramblings about a fictional character.

Anyways, not that I've got all my attributes maxed I can fully enjoy my second playthrough and hopefully max all the S. Links.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Fisher King posted:

Here there be endgame spoilers:

As someone who didn't play P4 on PS2, I assumed that Marie being a reflection/part of Izanami was logical, and romancing her being "canon", because the impression I got was that the Protagonist was a similar reflection of Izanagi. Hence why your first Persona is Izanagi, and your final one is its "true" form. Not that "star cross'd lovers across time" isn't cheesy, but its not that bad.

I never get this impression because the game never once tries to make that connection. The entire idea that your main character is a reflection of Izanagi would be acceptable to me if the game ever bothered with even trying to give that impression off. It's a theory to go with, but the game is so detached from having Izanagi be any sort of prominent thing that the Persona is practically a non-entity after you begin fusing because the only time Izanagi is ever referred to by name after that point is by Edogawa when he recounts the myth. That's just such a reach for it, especially since you don't even have to go lovers with Marie to do all of her stuff, thank god.

I dunno, maybe I'm just being a bit more harsh on this since it feels very forced from someone like me who played the crap out of the original P4, but the addition of Marie is just something that complicates the story more when it was a story that already had too many questions unanswered.

• Locked thread