Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Guess I didn't need to buy the Solid Gold version of P4G to get a skin for my (imaginary) Vita :smug:

Hope I can buy the discounted bundle off of Amazon, since I really want to play my copy right away. The added features sound amazing, especially the "choosing fusion skills" part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Len posted:

All versions came with the skin. Solid Gold just came with even more extra poo poo. Like the Persona themed hard case and a hard face cover.

The people at the counter lied to me then! They said that it was something that came with the limited edition, but they'd give me one anyway. :downs:

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Finally got to playing this, and the updated textures are really nice! The intro is still as long as ever though.

Also, Chie's new voice is really weirding me out right now. It's not bad.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
How do you use the Rescue Request thing? I'm about to fight Shadow Chie, and I haven't seen anything like that showing up.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Capsaicin posted:

It starts the next time you go into the TV.

Okay, that made sense.

Speaking of which, what're everyone's messages for the Rescue Requests? Mine is "Bearsona! AWWW YEEEAH! Everyone loves Sweetdiculous bear." Obviously with a Teddie icon :colbert:

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
:haw: I love skill changes on the Fusion Forecast. Fused a King Frost, and his Mabufu changed to Spirit Drain.

I don't think I need to worry about SP for awhile.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Dr Pepper posted:

Abusing Skill Change and resetting can allow you to get Victory Cry hilariously early.

The way Skill Change works is that the skills are in seperate tiers, and Skill Change will make it a random skill in that same tier.

Fuse Kaiwan. It knows Tetrakarn. Tetrakarn is in the same ability tier as Victory cry.

Get Victory Cry in your 20s.

I remembered that from the PS2 version, but I didn't have the patience to keep resetting. Different skills kept being selected, and Tetrakarn (if it was chosen) kept changing into stupid things like Resist Poison instead.

e: and on another note, I end up missing more days than I expect eating stuff from the fridge. It's impossible to resist.

Nondevor fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Dec 3, 2012

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Oh god, the Okina event. That was just great, and Kanji is the best. :allears:

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Void Quest really is one of the best dungeons. Currently running through it with Kanji, Yosuke, and Teddie, and I love the music.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
The fishing minigame is so much better than the PS2 version. Caught the Guardian in one try with no fishing boosts :v:

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
:stare: Okay, I just fished up a bus stop sign at the beach. And it's a weapon.

Also caught the Sea Guardian on my first try, so that was nice. Admittedly, it was challenging because I don't have any fishing boosts.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Yukari posted:

How do you fish up stuff aside from fish? Is it just random chance or something?

I fished up that sign the first time I went to Shichiri Beach. I went on a stormy day, but I think it's just chance.

Someone should compile a list of what weapons are found by fishing, since I definitely didn't remember that in the PS2 version.

e: Teddie what are you doing in school, you're not supposed to be here

Nondevor fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 15, 2012

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Sankis posted:

Speaking of SP, does anyone NOT use Yukiko? She has so much god drat SP and can cast healing spells all day. Plus fire is usually useful.

I use Team Bro for the main dungeon runs, although I switch up party members frequently. It's mainly because I used Yukiko when I played the original P4, so I wanted to switch it up.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Just unlocked the Art Gallery channel, and the narrator's comments are just making me laugh with the dead-pan delivery. But really, images from the artbook are super cool :allears:

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Zetta_Slow posted:

Is there any point of me doing quests in NG+? I finished them on my fist play through and I was wondering if I need them to face Margaret or to get additional costumes?

Clearly, the best reason for doing the quests is helping improve the NPCs' lives. :colbert:

On a different note, I've reached the part where you come home to hear Alone playing for pretty much the rest of the game. It became even worse than the original when I realized that nobody's there to help tend the garden anymore...

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
It was pretty easy to get Player Advantages in both versions, but that's probably because I got used to the mechanic quickly.

Also, I've forgotten to check the fridge in awhile, so I did just that. You opened the fridge. It looks the same as ever inside. :smith:

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Huh. They added a cutscene for the Bad End? I didn't remember that being in the original.

I knew what was going to happen, but the fog makes it look so desolate. Can't wait to see the one with Adachi! I don't know when that triggers, but I've heard good(?) things about it.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Nate RFB posted:

I wasn't able to get the Gekkou uniforms, which is kind of annoying. I think if you don't talk to the teacher after the October exams, you must not be able to get them at all because she never showed up again in January-February after I finished her quests.

I ended up getting the male Gekkou uniforms after the November exams, and that was the first time I've talked to Kashiwagi.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

HiKaizer posted:

I really like using Teddie's crossdressing costume. It has a great victory line of "Aaaaaaah, steal my ~~heart~~". He's so happy in it as well.

The best part about it is that when you cast a spell, his hair billows out dramatically in the wind for a really long time.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Wow, Ameno-Sagiri looks so much better than the PS2 version. I'm just loving the updated textures in general.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
"A creepy man with a loooong nose..." The ski trip is amazing.

Unfortunately, it's drawing attention to the fact that the game's ending real soon. I want to stay with my anime best friends in the boonies longer :(

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
I've beaten the original so many times, so I thought I was done with Persona 4. But nope, the remake completely negates that feeling.

Still going through the ski trip, and the only correct choice is to hang out with the guys. Always.

e: haha, they really can't insinuate things anymore than they already are, can they?

Nondevor fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 26, 2012

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
The new epilogue was nice! Only weird thing that stood out to me was Yosuke's haircut - it looked okay during the animated cutscenes, but he honestly looked like a giraffe. It gives a surprising amount of closure to the story, and I don't have the burning need to start a NG+ right away. :unsmith:

But I'll probably end up doing that anyway, since I want to have an all-maxed playthrough. This game has justified my purchase of a Vita at least twice over, not counting all the PS+ goodies.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

TenaCrane posted:

I'm pretty early in the game, just failed the courage check with asking for Chie's number which is a shame because I wanted to see her reaction. :saddowns:

Are there any courage boosting things I should watch out for? The only one I really remember is checking the fridge for food.

e: Never actually played persona 4 myself, but I basically know the story from others.

Defeating bonus bosses gives you some courage boosts. There are also books you can read to increase the stat. Also, I think there are some dialogue choices that raise it as well, but they aren't that common.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Nate RFB posted:

It's not a bad idea in theory, but it would be a viable strategy for all of one dungeon. Pretty much the only thing Chie has over Kanji is Twin Dragons.

She has a better magical stat than Kanji, but that's negligible because of her low-tier spells. Chie also has a multi-enemy, multi-hit attack that can be pretty useful.

Kanji's a better physical attacker though. His strength stat is a lot higher, capping off around 90 when he's level 99. Power charge + primal force > power charge + God Hand.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Yosuke/Kanji/Teddie was a solid party for me. Yosuke's Garu spells did pretty good damage, his physical moves were useful, and the Sukukaja spells helped a lot with hitting golden hands. Teddie was a good healer and buffer, and Kanji just wrecked everything with Power Charge and Primal Force.

I rotated between all of the characters though, thanks to the overabundance of golden hands.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Nate RFB posted:

Having twice maxed all S. Links, I think that if I do a third run through the game I'll ignore all of them except for the plot relevant ones and Hermit. Maybe set it to Very Hard with the exception of turning on battle retries. Then I guess just try to do my best to not grab a super team from the compendium. Maybe go for that Izanagi-only run.

The Izanagi-only run is doable if you decide to fuse a new one. Here's what mine looks like currently:

I have to go on a few more scooter runs to unlock Okina (and Chagall Cafe) again, but I keep getting distracted by Social Links...

As for the difficulty, you could always set it to Very Hard with low damage dealt, great damage received, and low EXP gain. :getin:

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Ryoshi posted:

Is this really the case? I figured the thing that would end up hamstringing you is the low base level, which everyone keeps pointing out is factored into the damage equation somehow. Fusing a new one shouldn't change that, should it?

Low base level hasn't mattered at all for me so far, since emperor cards and stat boosting cards exist. Add Debilitate, and everything becomes a lot easier. Later on, I'll probably replace Spell Master with Mind Charge for extra damage.

I guess it would matter more if I was playing on low damage dealt. It's more fun with max damage dealt and gained though, so that's what I've been doing.

Nondevor fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 4, 2013

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Hook posted:

Book trophy is easy to miss. I don't know if you can get that and max all s.links in one go. It's probably not impossible but I feel like you'd need to plan it out. As far as I know the specific ranks for the strength invites only applies to the basketball team, so pick the soccer team. I've had strength sitting at rank 3 for most of the game and have gotten all the invites. The easiest one to miss is the one on I think 14 July, you need to go to your room that night to get a call from Kou about the study session.

I currently have Strength (basketball version) at level 4 because I wanted to unlock Ai's social link early. Hopefully I'm not screwed out of getting Fun with Numbers this time around...

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

FauxGateau posted:

This may sound culturally insensitive, but Japan knows the difference between Vampires and magicians right? I mean I could go on with my sick vampire identification skills, but the MC seriously looks like he's getting ready to pull a quarter out of my ear.

If they think all vampires wear nice top hats, then I don't mind it at all.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Protocol7 posted:

This is absolutely the first game where I've been unable to put my Vita down, and I was eventually forced to because batteries don't last forever.

:negative:

That's why you play your Vita plugged into the charger all the time! :downs:

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

lotus circle posted:

Finished my New Game Plus and this time with all social links maxed. I'm not sure how to feel about Marie and her inclusion in the game but weather girl was pretty funny I'll give the game that.

Also is it me, or did the developers obviously favorite certain social link stories over others? I'm speaking particularly about the Strength and Sun arcana stories. My first run I did Daisuke and Yumi, so second run I did Kou and Ayane. Honestly it seemed to me that the developers really put more effort in Kou and Yumi's stories, whereas Daisuke and Ayane's stories weren't quite as compelling in comparison. The former had really huge issues they needed to tackle with themselves, their lives and the love they have for their hobby. The latter stories were a lot more bland and sort of very average problems that high schoolers go through.

I liked that about the social links. :shobon: It was refreshing to see that the characters still had average problems to deal with; if all of the links had been max drama throughout, I feel that would have gotten tiring quickly for me.

Both versions of Strength were good though. The sports bros are great.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Jet Ready Go posted:

gently caress it was raining for the past few days and the fog came in tonight.

I gotta get home to check the midnight channel.

Game over, you didn't save the victim. Go restart from a week ago.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

carry on then posted:

Alright, I have a question. I'm at the Void Quest Boss and I think I've screwed myself over. It's the second-to-last day before game over, and I'm stuck with everyone at mid-30s. I haven't actually had the game over occur yet, but I figured I was getting close so I looked up the exact date. My question is, have I ruined my save? I don't know if I can grind 10 levels for my party in one day, given that I have no reliable way to restore SP and often have all my grinding progress wiped out by a wonderful Last Resort.

Feel free to run out of time; you rewind back a week after a game over so you can plan out things some more. If you're having trouble being underleveled, just hunt down some Golden Hands.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

W.T. Fits posted:

That entire scene is amazing. I made a save specifically at that spot, both so I could go back and see all the dialogue options for it, and just because I might want to watch it again without having to go through the whole game. :allears:

That scene was one of the best additions to P4G, bar none. Wasn't expecting it at all, so I missed my chance to make a save at that spot like I did with the other new events. Guess I'll have to get there on my NG+. :v:

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

The remixed version of I'll Face Myself is catchy as well. Actually, now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure that this was playing during the February dungeon bossfight. Can anyone else confirm this?

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Really Pants posted:

Where can I get stuff for my shelf? I need more model robots for when girls come over.

Also, what does "Everyone is charged up and focused!" mean? Is Rise seriously dropping free combined Mind/Power Charges on the entire team? If so, do they stack with the normal sort?

If you want even more things on your shelf, you can collect Persona figurines from the crane game at Okina. I prefer them over the models because they're cute. :3:

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

UberJumper posted:

*EDIT* Welp, i just went into a relationship with Chie, i guess i shall be the massive rear end in a top hat for this playthrough.

You might as well go romance everyone at this rate, including the non-party member ones like the Sun link. :getin:

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

UberJumper posted:

I worry about the cat that i keep feeding, in the flood plains. I hope he doesn't starve :smith:.

Don't worry about the cat, it'll live. Also you should keep feeding it for some real :3: afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

OH NO MAN posted:

Gonna use mostly Izanagi on this run. I haven't given him all of the most broken skills yet (mainly because I don't have all the skill cards), but he's already got Ziodyne and Atom Smasher to wreck the poo poo out of the early game. I think I have enough money to replace Rakunda with Debilitate at this point, so I should probably get around to doing that. :kheldragar:

The Izanagi challenge is super fun to do. In my NG+ play through, I had basic Izanagi with Victory Cry, Debilitate, and Megidolaon. :getin: I also used the Magatsu version as a heavy-hitting spellcaster.

• Locked thread