Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It must be a lot easier to get all the Social Links since the game extends a whole two more months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

jerkstore77 posted:

Can someone tell me more about the time limits imposed on this game?

Basically the game, as mentioned, takes place over a year or so. Each day is divided into segments. The usual day is after school you can choose to either do a daytime Social Link or Part time job (to get money and boost some social stats, and some Social Link's are even tied to them anyways) and then at night you can do a night time Social Link, part time job, or study.

Or you can go into the dungeon areas and fight monsters, save people, level up, etc. But if you do, when you leave you'll be too tired to do anything else. There's no "hard" time limit, in that you have X minutes to do something. It's more like there's only so many activities you can do. Time only passes when you choose to do something major. So you could run around town everywhere, buy stuff, do some minor quests, etc, and time wouldn't pass until you chose to go level up that Social Link.

Some days your options are more limited because of plot.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

If you do use a guide, at least with the original, it would leave you with an entire month with nothing to do. So yeah, play at your own pace.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Wait how do you get more then one card in Shuffle Time in the first place?

Also, I'm surprised at how they're changing up the major fights. This, plus how much better the game looks now, shows that they put a ton of effort into this.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I just did my first fusion.

Got to pick exactly what abilities my Persona got.

GOTY.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Fauxtool posted:

Is there a JAP voice option? What is with people wearing glasses? My only exposure to this series is the ps3 fighting game and there was a glasses dlc for some reason.

No to dual audio.

The glasses allow regular people to see through the magic harmful fog that fills the TV world.

They're made by a talking bear in a tracksuit.

Persona 4 is a weird game.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Atlus games tend not to be dual audio. It was probably Arc System Works that made PFA have it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

If he dies that means that he "fails" Izanami's test and the world is screwed.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

darealkooky posted:

This is related to something that bugs me in general about this remake. Persona 4 was never a incredibly hard videogame or anything, but with all of these things to make the gameplay way easier it seems like over half the game is now just an elaborate x pressing simulator with no thought or challenge that just wastes your time, which is pretty awful in a 70+ hour game (especially one that has themes that talk about how you should totally go outside and make friends)

If you think it's too easy, play on one of the harder difficulties.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

darealkooky posted:

All this does is make the enemies have more health and do more damage.

It's an RPG. Numbers are a pretty important part of it. It's not like an action game where it doesn't matter if the boss can do twice as much damage since you can just dodge all his attacks.

Since harder difficulties don't change the amount of EXP you get, the strength of the player remains roughly constant. As such, enemies becoming stronger means that the player is weaker in practice.

Winning a fight from a weaker position is more difficult.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

darealkooky posted:

but I'd prefer if half the game wasn't sitting there hitting x with no real consequence/thought over and over, you know?

Then play it on harder difficulties

You haven't actually played the game, have you?

Even on Normal mode this game is already harder then the original Persona 4. The random enemies are tougher, even in the very first dungeon there are shadows without weaknesses that can put the hurt on you, and each the bosses are harder, and they're changed so what worked in the original won't work now.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 23, 2012

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Holy crap they made a little Mother's Day Nanako event.

Nanako, the most :smith: Persona character.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Best part of Selectable skills? The Growth line of skills becomes really easy to pass around.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The Growth Skills are just really useful in general. They let a Persona gain EXP even if they're not being used. With how much EXP it takes to level up a Persona, being able to gain a few levels for them without going out of your way is pretty handy.

Anyways, for skills, in general there are a few things you want in a Persona from fusion. Skills that boost their abilities is nice, so any sort of X Boost or X Amp Skills is good. Same with covering their weaknesses, X Dodge or Resist X. And of course good passive abilities like Growth and Regenerate are handy.

And then there's just passing on some stuff to make it more versatile. Skills they don't naturally learn and all that.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The Compendium automatically adds the Persona into the Compendium the first time you get it, whether by Fusion or Shuffle Time. You can update the Persona in the Compendium by registering it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Beat the Bathhouse.

Kanji: Still the best. :allears:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Holy crap I've hit Operation Babe Hunt 2.

It was everything I ever wanted and more.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Endorph posted:

Assuming they didn't change anything, here's how fusion works. Thoth is Level 46 Emperor.

Well, they had to change some things since there's two new Arcana, Aeon and Jester.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

To get to the older dungeons and areas you talk to the person who's shadow you fought there.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

What happens in the family is their business.

That's Japan logic.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

You don't have to go to the clubs every day. They're just like any other Social Link. However, they do have the added bonus of boosting Diligence and Expression, which is a nice reason to do them.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's kind of funny how Nice Guy and Tough Guy are vulnerable to the elements the girl party members use.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

chaosapiant posted:

Everything Kanji says is loving comedy gold.

Troy Baker is pretty much the best and the main reason I played Arena dubbed.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Man I forgot how hilariously powerful Black Frost is.

I think it's the earliest learner of Mind Charge and an Amp ability.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Darn it Adachi let me spend time with you so I can level up your Social Link! :argh:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Teddie wearing the agent set is amazing.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

DeathBySpoon posted:

-When you're selecting a target for a spell, you can press L to view the target's weaknesses without backing out to the battle action menu beforehand (This might have been around as well, but I never noticed it)

This was in the original.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Saint Freak posted:

I found the Megido card.

I got a Magican Skill up in Shuffle time that up my Megido Yatagarasu to Megidola.

And it knows Mind Charge.

:getin:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

To advance Nanako's Social Link past level 4 you need to have max Expression.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Aphrodite posted:

I really hope Persona 5 comes up with a battle system that's not awful.

So all they have to do is keep the same battle system as 3 and 4?

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I hope Persona 5 gets rid of the dating sim, I really do.

First it would have to be a "dating sim" in the first place.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 30, 2012

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ai is the best Non-Doujima Family Social Link. :colbert:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Aphrodite posted:

The system itself isn't the problem, it's a few of the details. The high miss rates, annoying status effects and trial and error gameplay are all irritating.

High miss rate? Look, just because it's possible to miss doesn't mean that the game has one that's too high.

Enemies miss more often then you.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

RentCavalier posted:

I didn't mind the one about her being a corpse. I just think it's an annoying gimmick, because the worst kind of poetry is the kind of poetry that is created by a person setting out TO create poetry. It's just sort of blah--neither poignant nor funny.

I'm pretty sure the joke is that she's not very good at poetry.

I like it, at least. v:v:v

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Rueish posted:

Trying to max S. Links in the first play-through of P3 or P4 is literally the worst. All you're going to do is stress yourself out and possibly end up hating the game. Just do it normally and pick whatever you want, THEN if you want, use a guide to get 100% the 2nd time.

I wonder if you'd even need a guide. The biggest hurdle to getting all the Social Links is your 5 social stats. You'll have them maxed or near maxed on a second play through.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So, Rise learns Relaxing Wave 16 levels earlier.

That's insane. That skill pretty much removes 90% of the dungeon's danger.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The Grimace posted:

I think after a while, I'm going to attempt making a super awesome Izanagi now that skill cards exist. Then Jack Frost and Pyro Jack, then Setanta, then... ... .. .

Not mine but you're not the only person with that idea.

All the stat boosting cards really add up when they're all being shoved onto a single Persona.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Capsaicin posted:

I understand why there are so many Yus when doing the SOS, but why do I see so many Soujis?

I smile every time I see a Charlie.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Does it still give you the option of spending time with her?

Social Links level up based off points you get in that link, you get points by spending time with them and selecting the right conversation options. Getting a bonus if you have a Persona in the same Arcana as the link. If you don't have enough points to level up the link, spending time with them just gives you some points.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Nondevor posted:

:haw: I love skill changes on the Fusion Forecast. Fused a King Frost, and his Mabufu changed to Spirit Drain.

Abusing Skill Change and resetting can allow you to get Victory Cry hilariously early.

The way Skill Change works is that the skills are in seperate tiers, and Skill Change will make it a random skill in that same tier.

Fuse Kaiwan. It knows Tetrakarn. Tetrakarn is in the same ability tier as Victory cry.

Get Victory Cry in your 20s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's hard to see all of them in one play through because they take up a day. So you need to spend a little over a month of your in game time to get them all.

• Locked thread