Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Yeah I put a decent chunk of the tax return into my account to let AI handle it and it doesn't automatically invest everything right away, seemed to spread it out over a few weeks. Or my filters are too strict and there wasn't enough to buy at the time.

If you're putting money in for the first time I'd cherrypick the first few loans to see what kind of stuff is out there and to get a sense of the filters you may want to use for Automatic Investing, otherwise you can just set up the filters from however long ago in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

mrmcd posted:

I've stopped even caring about individual defaults at this point. I basically just check in every now and then to make sure the rate is under 5%. Once you get several hundred notes being reinvested through AI, the impact of any one $25 slice isn't a problem.

I've got around 380+ notes. One note become a bad debt isn't a big deal. The net monthly income is around $125/month.

I've checked the individual slow payers and they're mostly just a payment behind although there's one that I think is just keeping up with the interest payments. Versus about 26 notes worth of loans where they repaid early.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Is anyone using LC's auto investment or is it mostly folks using IR?

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
God I wish I could get in on this in TX. I've tried to understand how to do the investing thing and it just doesn't make sense to me. Am I stupid for not spending more time trying to understand it?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

lord1234 posted:

God I wish I could get in on this in TX. I've tried to understand how to do the investing thing and it just doesn't make sense to me. Am I stupid for not spending more time trying to understand it?

Specifically P2P lending or investing in general?

April
Jul 3, 2006

Long time no see, thread!

A quick update....

I currently have 1641 open notes (1009 were paid for out of pocket), with a weighted average rate of 12.41% profit according to Lending Club. I have had 116 notes default, and 450 pay off. I have 27 that haven't been issued yet, $227 in available cash, and current gross income of $1339.53, of which, about 22% is interest.

My notes at a glance shows a total of 2234. I have received $31,172.54 in payments (total of principal & interest).

I'm very much not a mathematician, so I'd like to make an offer to the thread. My filters are fairly OK, but as always, I'm sure there's room to improve. I developed them using the broadest, most obvious data points (for example, 60 month notes default at a much higher rate than 36 month ones). I would like help from someone with a much better understanding of statistics or whichever version of math would do this, and I know that there are some of you on here.

Therefore, I'm posting a link to my extended note information. There's info in there on a couple of thousand notes:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ivlnmhih3hklwi/lendingclubnotes_ext.csv?dl=0

As a reminder, here are the filters I've been using:

https://www.interestradar.com/analy...&HideInvested=1

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to look this over!!

April
Jul 3, 2006

Also, has anyone seen this?

https://www.lendingclub.com/business/

I just found it, and so far, I haven't found any information on investing in the business loans.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
As someone who works in Standardized Risk, it's very hard to standardize business loans.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

LorneReams posted:

As someone who works in Standardized Risk, it's very hard to standardize business loans.

Would you say it's risky? Risky business?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

chemosh6969 posted:

Would you say it's risky? Risky business?

Hard to model.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

LorneReams posted:

Hard to model.

Whooooooooosh!

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Although to be fair that was dad joke quality humor.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Just got an email from LC saying they are now available for investors from Texas, along with a promotion for FREE MONEY*. Now that the door is apparently opened for me, how complicated tax-wise does personal lending actually end up being?

April
Jul 3, 2006

SpelledBackwards posted:

Just got an email from LC saying they are now available for investors from Texas, along with a promotion for FREE MONEY*. Now that the door is apparently opened for me, how complicated tax-wise does personal lending actually end up being?

I personally don't think it's that complicated. You will receive a 1099 for the interest portion of the payments you receive, and another form that I can't remember off the top of my head for losses. I use taxact to file my taxes, so I just log in, and enter the information exactly as it appears on the form. The paperwork from LC even tells you which documents go to which form.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I'm not sure if I'm doing it right, but I go in and enter the details of each defaulted loan as a capital loss. Kind of a pain but only takes me 30-40 minutes.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Saint Fu posted:

I'm not sure if I'm doing it right, but I go in and enter the details of each defaulted loan as a capital loss. Kind of a pain but only takes me 30-40 minutes.

That's how I did it too. Tedious, but not complicated.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

For losses, I actually dug up a PDF lending club made for tax forms. There's like a sub-form you can enter where you just put a summary of losses then attach LC's generated summary with losses itemized, rather than enter each one by hand.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Has anyone else seen a huge jump in invested notes through the LC automated investing? After rarely logging in for months, just checking my account balance every few weeks, I opened up the automated investing page and looked at my allocations trying to decide if I needed to change them because my cash had been building up with very few new notes purchased. Maybe 1-2 per week. I decided not to do anything and wait it out longer.

Now, 1-2 weeks later I have 19 notes pending fulfillment. I remember this happening last year sometime too. My cash was building up, I said WTH and looked into it but didn't change anything, a few weeks later all my cash was quickly invested by the automated investment mechanism. Weird.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Saint Fu posted:

Has anyone else seen a huge jump in invested notes through the LC automated investing? After rarely logging in for months, just checking my account balance every few weeks, I opened up the automated investing page and looked at my allocations trying to decide if I needed to change them because my cash had been building up with very few new notes purchased. Maybe 1-2 per week. I decided not to do anything and wait it out longer.

Now, 1-2 weeks later I have 19 notes pending fulfillment. I remember this happening last year sometime too. My cash was building up, I said WTH and looked into it but didn't change anything, a few weeks later all my cash was quickly invested by the automated investment mechanism. Weird.

I switched from IR to Bluevestment (IR will be shutting down in the next few months), and I noticed the same thing, but chalked it up to a different system. Interesting.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

April posted:

I switched from IR to Bluevestment (IR will be shutting down in the next few months), and I noticed the same thing, but chalked it up to a different system. Interesting.

Bluevestment looks to be significantly cheaper for my account.. whoops wish I hadn't just signed up for a year of IR a couple weeks ago

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Is Bluevestment legit?

I tried to sign up and after linking my LC account info, entering a credit card, I check the "yes" on the TOS and click register only to have a pop up tell me "Unable to Register - OK."

I emailed about it to the site's contact email and the (apparent) owner tells me that in order to debug it he needs to enter my info, including credit card. Presumably to run the registration as me to see what's going on.

Still, asking for my CC info triggers all sorts of warning bells in my head.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I'm thinking about starting to invest on Prosper (since I'm in Oregon) and I'm curious what your guys' long term goals are with this. Is there a point where you stop reinvesting 100% of your revenue back into notes and start cashing out to reinvest elsewhere? I don't imagine I'll be doing more than a few hundred dollars per month, but I'm curious where you guys think there might be a point of diminishing returns in regard to risk/reward. I mean, April, if you get to the point where you're being paid out $25k per month will you still reinvest 100% of that back into notes?

Also, when you guys talk about how much money you've invested in notes are you talking strictly about how much you've transferred from your bank account? Or does that include money you've reinvested from the amount LC pays you each month? Is it even useful to make this distinction?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I will likely stop putting in more money if my country goes into a downturn (which is looking likely at the moment) as this is all unsecured personal debt. If a lot of people lose jobs then defaults will be driven up, as has happened with other P2P lending sites. The other limit is if it is not possible to reinvest money due to their being insufficient loans that meet my lending policy.

When I refer to money invested I mean total principal so that would include reinvested interest. My total principal is $10,480 after 9 months and I've ramped up slowly over that time putting $10k in. That is after fees, tax and bad debts. I started out pretty slowly as well but I won't have a good picture of performance until I've been in as long as April.

The risk reward balance you have to figure out for yourself and what you can tollerate. Some people don't think it's worthwhile, some do.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Inspector 34 posted:

I'm thinking about starting to invest on Prosper (since I'm in Oregon) and I'm curious what your guys' long term goals are with this. Is there a point where you stop reinvesting 100% of your revenue back into notes and start cashing out to reinvest elsewhere? I don't imagine I'll be doing more than a few hundred dollars per month, but I'm curious where you guys think there might be a point of diminishing returns in regard to risk/reward. I mean, April, if you get to the point where you're being paid out $25k per month will you still reinvest 100% of that back into notes?

Also, when you guys talk about how much money you've invested in notes are you talking strictly about how much you've transferred from your bank account? Or does that include money you've reinvested from the amount LC pays you each month? Is it even useful to make this distinction?

I've slowed down a bit on new deposits, as I've had some new circumstances come up (oldest kid going to college, had to replace a vehicle). That said, for now, I'm 100% reinvesting. My plan is to get enough notes to give $X in interest income every month, then reinvest only enough to maintain that number of notes. As Devian said, however, if it looks like the economy is making GBS threads the bed, I will probably do something like reinvest a percentage, and pull out a percentage, every month.

I consider the money invested what's come out of my bank account, but I actually don't look at that number as much as monthly interest, number of notes, etc.

Also, CaptainCrunch (sorry I didn't answer you earlier), I've been in BlueVestment for a few weeks now, and it seems to be legit. I don't think they filter as deeply as IR, but I think that IR is still in the process of integrating with them, so there may be more options in the future.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
My plan is pretty much the same as April's but I'm not currently adding fresh money from my bank account. Just reinvesting 100% (assuming there are notes available that match my auto-invest criteria). Overall I plan on keeping the total account value at a certain percentage of my total portfolio so if/when it starts to fall below that percentage, I may add more capital.

My end goal is to have this be another income producing stream for whenever I decide to retire. At that point, I'll either start withdrawing interest received while maintaining a static account balance or maybe just keep reinvesting 100% and withdraw from other income producing accounts. That's at least a decade away at this point though so by then I'll have a better feel for how reliable the income might be and make decisions accordingly.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

How likely do you think it is that Lending Club is even around in two decades or so?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

ohgodwhat posted:

How likely do you think it is that Lending Club is even around in two decades or so?

Pretty difficult to say. I think there's a reasonable chance that some p2p sites will cease to exist. Some might survive and some might become the next big thing. Although this is where don't invest your entire life savings in p2p lending is important.

e: However the flip side of p2p lending may be how many of the traditional banks will continue to exist in their current form with the rise of p2p lending.
http://www.lendingmemo.com/wells-fargo-peer-to-peer-lending/

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 31, 2015

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
So fun fact, I just decided to finally give this a shot as I have a really good salary these days, but I'm maybe moving to Kentucky soon. I did some reading about requirements and apparently to join Lending Club in Kentucky you must be an accredited investor. What this means, according to the commonwealth of Kentucky and the United States of America, is that I must have a net worth of over a million dollars (not including the value of my home). OR, I can just have a salary of > 200,000$ and have collected this salary for the past 2 years.

So, yeah. That was fun.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

pathetic little tramp posted:

So fun fact, I just decided to finally give this a shot as I have a really good salary these days, but I'm maybe moving to Kentucky soon. I did some reading about requirements and apparently to join Lending Club in Kentucky you must be an accredited investor. What this means, according to the commonwealth of Kentucky and the United States of America, is that I must have a net worth of over a million dollars (not including the value of my home). OR, I can just have a salary of > 200,000$ and have collected this salary for the past 2 years.

You pathetic little tramp, don't you know that the SEC doesn't check up on that? (Also, that since LC went public, my understanding is that AA status is no longer required).

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

So, yeah. That was fun.

It's as if the US hates capitalism.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

So, yeah. That was fun.

The accredited investor thing makes sense if you're entering the world of venture capital, which is why it was written. P2P lending is a pretty new concept and accredited investor is irrelevant to it, but laws move really slowly.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

April posted:

Also, CaptainCrunch (sorry I didn't answer you earlier), I've been in BlueVestment for a few weeks now, and it seems to be legit. I don't think they filter as deeply as IR, but I think that IR is still in the process of integrating with them, so there may be more options in the future.

So if we were to sign up for one, it makes more sense to sign up with BlueVestment rather than InterestRadar? Seems weird that the link to the full press release on IR's site just links to a main landing page on BlueVestment's site, but I guess that's just lazy link curation.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

baquerd posted:

You pathetic little tramp, don't you know that the SEC doesn't check up on that? (Also, that since LC went public, my understanding is that AA status is no longer required).

People also said a "blue sky exemption" would allow lending in every state. Well guess what?

Wizzle
Jun 7, 2004

Most
Parochial
Poster

Has anyone messed with Lending Robot? It's free if you're managing less than $5k with it. The automated rules make it seem like you can set some pretty strict standards (though there's nothing for "borrow uses complete sentences, punctuation and proper grammar").

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Why not just continue to hand-pick the notes but put more per note? How much does diversifying into an extra note after 100 really reduce your risk? Would probably save you time on bookkeeping too! Now if we presume that p2p loan market isn't efficient, hand-picking reduces your default-rate-to-interest ratio and ergo you could probably earn more return on your capital.

On the other hand if you really hate hand-picking I guess then it makes sense to automate it. I just got into this thing and I love going through loan applications. Maybe I'm just a weirdo but it's a fun hobby. :v:

Wizzle
Jun 7, 2004

Most
Parochial
Poster

Keisari posted:

Why not just continue to hand-pick the notes but put more per note? How much does diversifying into an extra note after 100 really reduce your risk? Would probably save you time on bookkeeping too! Now if we presume that p2p loan market isn't efficient, hand-picking reduces your default-rate-to-interest ratio and ergo you could probably earn more return on your capital.

On the other hand if you really hate hand-picking I guess then it makes sense to automate it. I just got into this thing and I love going through loan applications. Maybe I'm just a weirdo but it's a fun hobby. :v:

How much time does it take to do by hand? I'm taking a timid start at this with $2,000.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Wizzle posted:

How much time does it take to do by hand? I'm taking a timid start at this with $2,000.

Depends how strict you are, it took me a couple weeks with $1500 when I first joined. I forget the days they add notes but they probably get run through everyone's automated investing filters before showing up in the pool, so feel free to cherry pick and not invest it all in the first day.

Lelorox
Jul 28, 2013

BFC SLACKER 2014
Charge offs... Charge offs everywhere...

Still raking 8.5% but I imagine when I'm done that number will be closer to 5%.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I've got my first "In Grace Period" note on LendingClub. Now I can look at how many times they call the borrower. :allears: He missed his first payment, back in January, too!

Is this when some people would try to sell the note?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

CPColin posted:

I've got my first "In Grace Period" note on LendingClub. Now I can look at how many times they call the borrower. :allears: He missed his first payment, back in January, too!

Is this when some people would try to sell the note?

I got my first one too this past week. It made me start to wonder about the secondary market. Does anyone have any experience delving into that side of LC?

• Locked thread