Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

etalian posted:

IPOs especially for startup companies tend to be fools gold.

Except the IPO is up 60%? And LC has actually had revenue.

quote:

Also it's important to note for Lending Club another weakness is despite the large returns you make less than boring traditional forms
of investments such as stocks since it's taxed as ordinary income.

So put it in a Roth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

etalian posted:

IPOs especially for startup companies tend to be fools gold.

Also it's important to note for Lending Club another weakness is despite the large returns you make less than boring traditional forms
of investments such as stocks since it's taxed as ordinary income.

Great, thank you for sorting out both IPO investing and the tax issues surrounding investment income in that one post there

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Bloody Queef posted:

So put it in a Roth?

An IRA through LC requires $5k for the first year and $10k for subsequent years or else you're charged $100 annually. I was thinking of opening an IRA, but I wouldn't want to stick $10k in it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lending tree is basically a fun money type investment which not should be used for more than 5% of your total account.

It's also very tax inefficient for investor type accounts vs. more traditional investments.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

etalian posted:

Lending tree is basically a fun money type investment which not should be used for more than 5% of your total account.

It's also very tax inefficient for investor type accounts vs. more traditional investments.

Based on your other posts in BFC, I see you're new to investing and money matters. That's really cool that you're posting in here to gain some knowledge and improve yourself. Keep asking questions and absorbing all the knowledge. Don't, however, talk out of your rear end on a subject you know basically nothing on.

First, it's Lending Club. Lending Tree is that lovely mortgage finder website.

Second, no one is really qualified to make a blanket statement about how everyone should invest their money. People have very differing financial situations and goals. I personally agree that for my case 5% is about what I put into LC, but that number could/should go up or down for any other random person or even as my total amount invested goes up.

Third, as was pointed out, you can use a tax advantaged account to do LC (5k first year/10k subsequent year minimums or a $100 fee). All interest, non qualified dividends, and short term capital gains are taxed at OI rates, the same as Lending club, so it's not some weird thing.

A far more appropriate post would have been,

quote:

I'm a little leery of Lending Club, what percentage of your portfolio are you guys putting into it and how do you mitigate your risk?

and I'm a little concerned about the tax efficiency of Lending Club, how do you guys work with that?
Then you would have learned something without sounding like a knob.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Cunningham's Law: "The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer."

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

chemosh6969 fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 15, 2014

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Is there any place to access their loan-by-loan data stats?

If I could do analysis on the loan types/FICO/blah blah this seems like an interesting thing to try out, but otherwise I'd feel uncomfortable being anything but very conservative.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Yes, they have CSVs you can download, which are quite large.

https://www.lendingclub.com/info/download-data.action

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Yeah I was able to come up with a decent cross-section analysis but found out I can't even trade in Maryland so it was mostly a waste of time.

I've got a few variables that are worth about 5% in default rate worth avoiding out of the sample though; never got to include more recent loans so may or may not accurate.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
LC is now available in Massachusetts.

I got burned before by Prosper, but that was kind of my own fault. Should I jump aboard?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Moneyball posted:

I got burned before by Prosper, but that was kind of my own fault. Should I jump aboard?

I used Prosper back during the dark days of 2005-2007. Default rates seem to be much better this time, around 2-4%, and they are much more selective in screening loans. Probably half to a third of the loans don't get issued after funding because they fail LC's vetting. Setting up the automatic investing and only buying the minimum $25 amount on each loan seems to do the trick. Also, there's almost zero of the "expanding my ebay business!!!11oneone" loans that I remember from Prosper, it's almost all CC refinancing.

That said, there's always the chance the economy and credit environment does another swan dive and all their statistical models go in the toilet, so don't make LC 100% of your investment portfolio.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MJBuddy posted:

Yeah I was able to come up with a decent cross-section analysis but found out I can't even trade in Maryland so it was mostly a waste of time.

I've got a few variables that are worth about 5% in default rate worth avoiding out of the sample though; never got to include more recent loans so may or may not accurate.

Yeah due to regulatory hurdles man states don't allow you to even open a investment account and other other have extra hoops to hop through.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

MJBuddy posted:

Did you check other companies? I can do Prosper in Oregon but not Lending Club.

Amun
Oct 16, 2002

I'm personally starting to lose faith in LC. It's been 16 days since I've been able to buy a note that matches my criteria -- I've only been at it for a year or so, but I don't think it's ever been this bad. Money's just piling up in my account not doing anything :(

April
Jul 3, 2006

Amun posted:

I'm personally starting to lose faith in LC. It's been 16 days since I've been able to buy a note that matches my criteria -- I've only been at it for a year or so, but I don't think it's ever been this bad. Money's just piling up in my account not doing anything :(

Are you using IR? If so, you need to update your account info, and include the correct API key. I had an issue with it also, I actually had over 1k in available cash till I got it straightened out. I had to reset my API in LC, and then update it in IR.

I think I need more acronyms.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Amun posted:

Another problem at least for regular investors is institutional investors now have a big investment in the concept:
http://blog.lendingclub.com/a-note-on-our-recent-loan-volume/

Basically it's tough to compete for good notes when you go against institutional investors who have millions in case to scoop up the better notes.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
I don't have a ton of money invested, but my biggest issue lately has been that, of the few notes available, the ones I do attempt to buy end up dying during LC's review process. I've been trying to buy 2 notes for the last two weeks and still have that 50 bucks sitting around doing nothing. I don't have enough invested/care enough to be using IR, nor do I have enough invested to use automatic investing. It was pretty easy to build a $500 portfolio a few months ago, but it's starting to seem rather difficult to roll incoming payments into new notes.

Amun
Oct 16, 2002

April posted:

Are you using IR?

I am, and I'm still using your filters! Thanks for the heads up - I updated my stuff so we'll see what I catch. You'd think IR would be better about communicating this stuff...

April
Jul 3, 2006

Amun posted:

I am, and I'm still using your filters! Thanks for the heads up - I updated my stuff so we'll see what I catch. You'd think IR would be better about communicating this stuff...

I got an email from them saying that I needed to update my API, but it didn't work the first time I did it. So I reset it in LC, then put the new one into IR, and no problems since. Good luck!

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

withoutclass posted:

I don't have a ton of money invested, but my biggest issue lately has been that, of the few notes available, the ones I do attempt to buy end up dying during LC's review process. I've been trying to buy 2 notes for the last two weeks and still have that 50 bucks sitting around doing nothing. I don't have enough invested/care enough to be using IR, nor do I have enough invested to use automatic investing. It was pretty easy to build a $500 portfolio a few months ago, but it's starting to seem rather difficult to roll incoming payments into new notes.

I ran into that too, but honestly that means that the vetting process kicked them out so it's generally for the best that you couldn't give them your money. It can take a while to get those last few notes however.

Didn't they open up automated investing to everyone recently? I don't have a ton on LC but still set up automated investing since I was terrible at checking my account regularly to get that sick nasty compounded interest.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Amun posted:

If it's really bad, just lower your standards a bit.

There's obviously some details that are significantly better than others, but as long as you avoid small business and unverified incomes, you're avoiding the biggest failure prone variables at every grade (based on what I loaded up and looked at from 2007-2011 3 year loans.

chemosh6969 posted:

Did you check other companies? I can do Prosper in Oregon but not Lending Club.

I'll look into it more, thanks! I did see that I should be available there but hadn't had time this week since to see if that was with a bunch of caveats, an industry thing, etc.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Knightmare posted:

I ran into that too, but honestly that means that the vetting process kicked them out so it's generally for the best that you couldn't give them your money. It can take a while to get those last few notes however.

Didn't they open up automated investing to everyone recently? I don't have a ton on LC but still set up automated investing since I was terrible at checking my account regularly to get that sick nasty compounded interest.

It's opened up but the minimum is $2500

Keisari
May 24, 2011

withoutclass posted:

It's opened up but the minimum is $2500

They want to make sure you can get appropriately diversified with that requirement I think.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Moneyball posted:

I'm in MA and I'm doing it (I made a few bucks in prosper back in the day). Parsing over their statistics sold me on it.

Keisari posted:

They want to make sure you can get appropriately diversified with that requirement I think.

I just did it with $500?

Though it's $500 I deposited over a year ago and half forgot about, back when I thought I'd jump into the secondary market.

April posted:

Are you using IR? If so, you need to update your account info, and include the correct API key. I had an issue with it also, I actually had over 1k in available cash till I got it straightened out. I had to reset my API in LC, and then update it in IR.

I think I need more acronyms.

What's IR?

asdf32 fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 2, 2015

April
Jul 3, 2006

asdf32 posted:

I'm in MA and I'm doing it (I made a few bucks in prosper back in the day). Parsing over their statistics sold me on it.

I just did it with $500?

Though it's $500 I deposited over a year ago and half forgot about, back when I thought I'd jump into the secondary market.

What's IR?

IR is Interest Radar. I use it to auto-buy my notes.

nicky_glasses
Jun 20, 2011

Toyland Social Club
A year ago I dropped a few grand in, and a few months ago I started selling off notes, just now my account is zero. Earlier in this thread I explained why this not a tax advantaged option and not an ideal/efficient means of investing for the majority of us, hence the reason I pulled out. Just wanted to share my final experience with LC.

I ended up with a 7% return which isn't bad. I likely would have gotten a slightly higher return as I sold off some notes at discount for the borrowers that would go 30 days late every other month but get back to current, I just wanted to get off the p2p lending hype train. I had about 10 notes that paid off early, which as a lender you don't want this to happen, but would take it over a default of course. I had a few notes default right around the 6 month mark. The majority of the defaults were people at Grade B btw, even an A grade borrower defaulted with no prior delinquencies.

In short, this is nothing different than a bond fund. It's just you are the fund manager and are setting your criteria. In a few weeks I'll be getting my various 1099s and will be paying taxes on that income. My index fund investments are getting at or above this, but are tax advantaged (IRA, HSA, 401k) and until I max those out I would not consider doing this again. And even then, it would be about 5% to 10% of my total investments, depending on my bond allocation at that time.

A lot of people on Prosper got burned at the economic downturn and it wasn't entirely because Prosper was lax in vetting the borrowers. A lot of excellent credit borrowers defaulted then too, and this "bond fund" investing strategy is absolutely insane if a significant portion of your nest egg is in here (anything more than 10%).

I will say LC is superior to Prosper, and it as a company is smooth, just for the reasons stated above and previously in this thread it makes zero sense to go near it until certain criteria are satisfied. Best of luck to everyone.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

nicky_glasses posted:

Best of luck to everyone.

It looks like LC is now offering IRA/401K options. So there's that.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
What does Lending Club use to calculate it's APR? I've got decent credit (~700), the wife and I make >70k a year, and I would like to consolidate my credit cards and possibly pay a little less a month than I am now, but when I do Lending Club's site, it will never give me anything below 25%. At this rate I'll just attempt a consolidation loan with my credit union, but that's kind of ridiculous it won't even look at giving me a decent rate.

e: I see where I asked a similar question, but it's kind of stupid that it's trying to shove 27% APR down my throat and my credit isn't even that bad.

Gothmog1065 fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 14, 2015

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Gothmog1065 posted:

What does Lending Club use to calculate it's APR? I've got decent credit (~700), the wife and I make >70k a year, and I would like to consolidate my credit cards and possibly pay a little less a month than I am now, but when I do Lending Club's site, it will never give me anything below 25%. At this rate I'll just attempt a consolidation loan with my credit union, but that's kind of ridiculous it won't even look at giving me a decent rate.

e: I see where I asked a similar question, but it's kind of stupid that it's trying to shove 27% APR down my throat and my credit isn't even that bad.
Why don't you try to do a 0% credit card balance transfer?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Definately recommend something other than p2p lending as people are paying me more than credit card rates for loans. 0% APR as suggested is much better and will give you a chance to knock back some of the debt before interest kicks in.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

SiGmA_X posted:

Why don't you try to do a 0% credit card balance transfer?

The only question is would this apply even if the balance is larger than the limit itself? That's probably the only real reason I haven't done that yet.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Gothmog1065 posted:

The only question is would this apply even if the balance is larger than the limit itself? That's probably the only real reason I haven't done that yet.
I guess it depends on your creditworthiness... If you were approved for a 4k limit, you could transfer 4k of the debt over. 10k, transfer 10k over. I'm not sure what card would be the best bet for a high limit, Chase has given me the highest limits of the various banks I have credit with and frequently has 0% offers I believe?

I think the key thing in any regard is that paying the card off faster will help a lot more than a lower interest rate, but if you're at 20%+ and can get 0% for 12-15-18mo for 0-3% transfer fee, depending on your balance and payoff time that can save you a fair bit of money.

From reading Chase's page, I think you want the Slate card as it offers 0% transfer fee if done w/in 60 days, and 15mo 0% interest. Get it paid off real quick and its worth it as it is (I expect) really low effort for a substantial interest reduction. https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/slate.aspx

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Six months in and I've added a bit of money to my account and stuck to loaning $25 for each loan. The calculation on the site says my gross interest is 17.26% pa allowing for default rate. This morning I crossed the threshold of paying my first $100 in tax (tax rate is about 28%). There's some decent income but I'll be more interested to see what happens as some defaults occur.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I had my first bad debt note in the last month. Someone managing to go broke less than 9 months after the peer to peer service was launched must have been a dire situation.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Devian666 posted:

I had my first bad debt note in the last month. Someone managing to go broke less than 9 months after the peer to peer service was launched must have been a dire situation.

I've stopped even caring about individual defaults at this point. I basically just check in every now and then to make sure the rate is under 5%. Once you get several hundred notes being reinvested through AI, the impact of any one $25 slice isn't a problem.

Makes tax documentation a bit of a pain though. I had to really dig to find that PDf they made about what forms to use.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
Is it still worth it to begin participating in something like LC? I'm considering following the same strategy other goons on here have; namely, getting the $25 minimum stake in a loan, and putting a percentage of my income each month onto the site. Should I start with the $2500 minimum to do Automated Investing? That seems like it would be the way to go, as I'm not particularly interested in slowly cherry-picking investments.

railroad terror fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 24, 2015

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

railroad terror posted:

Is it still worth it to begin participating in something like LC? I'm considering following the same strategy other goons on here have; namely, getting the $25 minimum stake in a loan, and putting a percentage of my income each month onto the site. Should I start with the $2500 minimum to do Automated Investing? That seems like it would be the way to go, as I'm not particularly interested in slowly cherry-picking investments.

I would if I already had investments elsewhere. I wouldn't start with this.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo

chemosh6969 posted:

I would if I already had investments elsewhere. I wouldn't start with this.

I've got decent investments in mutual funds and my 401K -- I'm looking for something new to diversify a bit, and I don't mind the risk that LC has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

railroad terror posted:

Should I start with the $2500 minimum to do Automated Investing? That seems like it would be the way to go, as I'm not particularly interested in slowly cherry-picking investments.
That's definitely what I would recommend. Back in the day you used to be able to hand pick notes but now it seems like it's all scooped up with auto-picking apps and the like. My LC account has definitely become a set it and forget it account. Although I might need to adjust my filters a little though because they haven't been able to keep up with the interest it's generating. I'm slowly accumulating cash and the AI seems to be unable to buy notes fast enough.

• Locked thread