Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
As someone who does this for a living, I find this interesting.

FYI, financial institutions tend to have a CoC on unsecured loans of 2-4%, so 1-2% losses is VERY good.

Random strange fact I've learned, borrowers who go one payment past due, but pay late repeatedly, are better credit risks then someone who never goes delinquent at all.

Borrower payment behaviour is fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Random pool of borrowers who go multiple times one payment past due but cured, vs random pool of borrowers who never defaulted...one and two year default rates were consistently higher for the pools that never defaulted.

Also credit risk is always measured by loss, specifically:

EAD x PD x LGD

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

baquerd posted:

I'd like to see that sampling method. I can think of a couple potential issues:

1. Small sample size of borrowers who go late multiple times without defaulting
2. Age difference (average age of loans for the borrowers who have never defaulted is much lower)

Sampling issues are possible, it's a subset of a $200mm portfolio. Vintages are controlled for so age isn't a factor.
Also, I'm including lines which it seems like you don't have here.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Could be seasonal effects...this period in time is known for being hard on unsecured loans.

The opposite of this effect is known to happen between Feb and April, so you may see some cures then.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Swingline posted:

Utilization rate is far, far more important.

Which is why it's an independent variable in FICO and most other credit risk scoring. The only time it becomes a factor is a lot of lines opened up at the same time which could be fraud or other issues, but this gets caught usually by inquiry counts or average age.

In fact FICO offers a custom score that takes Inquiry counts OUT of the scoring model because everyone uses these counts as a secondary fraud check outside of scoring.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

smilingmike posted:

Have you guys been noticing that it's a lot harder to find notes in the last 2 weeks or so? I used to just go on the site randomly and find notes that I wanted to invest in (based on my criteria) but lately I need to be on at the exact time that they release the new batches of notes. Its so bad that the 5 seconds it takes me to review a note is too long and its closed when I try to buy it. I'm mostly talking about C and D rated notes. A's and low B's are usually still readily available.

There is lots of underutilized capital looking for a target.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Banks love A and B loans because of capital issues, but for an investor, it's not the greatest unless you have LOTS of capital.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I just broke 100 notes. I've been putting some of the money I budget for poker on this...so far it's going pretty good, although it's been getting harder to find notes at my criteria level.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
As someone who works in Standardized Risk, it's very hard to standardize business loans.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

chemosh6969 posted:

Would you say it's risky? Risky business?

Hard to model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

April posted:

Some quick napkin math shows that over the past 3 years, I am earning an average of about 2% of my total notes in bonus notes every month - meaning, since I have about 1800 notes right now, if I leave it alone, I will have about 1836 notes in a month.

Extending that over a long time (say 20 years) yields some... very interesting results.

I am sure I'm missing something, or by the time I hit retirement age, I'll have something like 63,000 notes. What am I missing?

I should add, I calculated this by taking my total of open notes, subtracting the total from the previous month to get total new notes, and then subtracting the ones I've paid for, to get bonus notes, then dividing bonus notes by total notes. It varies quite a bit month to month, but the average is right around 2%.

Can someone better at math than me help out? Can someone else who's been in for a while confirm/deny the bonus note rate?

You will hit the wall that financial institutes have already hit and are spending billions trying to move. Customer base.

• Locked thread