Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I just started about a month ago and have been having trouble recently as well. I've also had a bunch of notes that I wanted to fund not issued as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I guess this is where I will also admit that I use all of April's filters that she posted earlier. I don't really know well enough to change them one way or another so I'm just using them wholesale. Thanks April!

I only have $200 of skin in the game so far but if I ever get a bit more involved and care to analyze things some, I'll be sure to share if I change anything and what my rationale behind that would be.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

nicky_glasses posted:

TL; DR;

If you aren't saving the maximum amount allowed for tax free contributions (IRA/401k/529/HSA/FSA,etc) first before investing money into LC, etc, know that you are losing out on a lot of money due to tax implications (with the help of the power of interest).

If your sole interest is saving strictly for retirement, you're right, it's likely best to maximize your traditional retirement vehicles. If you haven't put the absolute max into your 401k/Roth, by all means. However, you're losing out on liquidity by tying everything up in retirement accounts. It's not completely liquid in so much as if you wanted to cash out early you'd have to sell your notes on the secondary market, but it's otherwise penalty free.

You're not really condemning LC as much as you are any non tax advantaged investment.

e: Also, as to taxes, you're going to be taxed on a 401k/Roth on either the front or the back end, so you're really just saving taxes on your gains. Which I'm not sure how it's treated, but if it's "just" capital, that's 15%. Not a huge price to pay for some liquidity.

e2: The way I treat taxable investments is whenever I have some extra unplanned money from budget overflows (I didn't eat out that much or went to less concerts or whatever the hell), that's where it comes from. I suppose if that happens more often than not I could increase my 401k withholding by a percent but, again, liquidity.

Barry fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 14, 2014

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

nicky_glasses posted:

The idea is that all debts are paid down first. Then a good chunk in a high-interest high-yield savings account that is liquid (3, 6, 12 months depending). The tops are like .80% to .90% APY. This is the liquidity you need for emergencies, assuming you have access to prime credit and steady income this should be all you need - unless you constantly buy junk and can't save anything.

Also with a Roth I plan on being in a higher tax bracket later, so I pay taxes on it now and at withdrawl, 30 years from now, I'll have saved a boatload from not withdrawing at the higher rate.

Sure, but there is value to liquidity. Even with a decent emergency fund, you never know when you might be long term unemployed or have a bunch of Bad poo poo happen at once. I suppose if it's truly dire you can dip into retirement funds and take the penalties, but I would rather that never happened.

I also assume that I will be paying a higher tax bracket later, but that's all it really is, an assumption. It's a very real possibility that when I'm ready to retire the tax rate for high earners might be peanuts.

I think this discussion might be best for another thread, however.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
What would you define as "high interest"? I've used your filters for the 10 notes I've bought so far and most of them are in the 11-12% range. I also have zero charge offs or late notes so, empirically, your filters are 100% perfect.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

April posted:

Some quick napkin math shows that over the past 3 years, I am earning an average of about 2% of my total notes in bonus notes every month - meaning, since I have about 1800 notes right now, if I leave it alone, I will have about 1836 notes in a month.

Extending that over a long time (say 20 years) yields some... very interesting results.

I am sure I'm missing something, or by the time I hit retirement age, I'll have something like 63,000 notes. What am I missing?

I should add, I calculated this by taking my total of open notes, subtracting the total from the previous month to get total new notes, and then subtracting the ones I've paid for, to get bonus notes, then dividing bonus notes by total notes. It varies quite a bit month to month, but the average is right around 2%.

Can someone better at math than me help out? Can someone else who's been in for a while confirm/deny the bonus note rate?

I'm not sure you're missing anything - seems like you discovered the principle of compound interest.

Take that back, I think the one thing you might be missing is assuming Lending Club will be around in 20 years, doing what it's doing right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I feel the same. My adjusted NAR is 3.39%. Not exactly awe inspiring.

• Locked thread