Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Nintendo is really bad at online, but they seem to consider backwards compatibility a very high priority, so I don't think your purchases being lost to time is too big of a concern with Nintendo. (You'll probably lose them a lot sooner to some stupid reason caused by Nintendo having no loving idea what they're doing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
You see used Wii U's go for sale on Ebay and the number of downloaded games that come with it have very little effect on the value of the unit. At the same time I see used Wii U games sell for more than half their retail price.

After avoiding the headache that would be associated with running out of space quickly due to purchasing a digital copy of Tropical Freeze, I know that I can sell the game once I finish and still get most my money back.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

TechnoSyndrome posted:

You say that but the Wii U is the only console of the three this generation where your last gen purchases transfered over and are still playable.

I'm dreading the day my entire XBLA collection is just gone and, provided the games still work offline after Microsoft shuts off the servers, I have to keep my 360 in operational condition for the foreseeable future to not lose them.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Also I don't know how you can say "I want to redowload my games in ten years" and "I sold my entire DS collection to buy a 3DS" in the same post.
Because in the second instance the investment is put towards something new, and in the implication of the first it's just lost entirely. They're not the same concept at all.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of July 31):

quote:

WII U eSHOP
    XType Plus - €2.99 / £2.69
    Ice Cream Surfer - €5.00 / £4.49
    Midtown Crazy Race - €5.00 / £4.49
    Bombing Bastards - €6.99 / £5.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Pop'n Twinbee Rainbow Bell Adventures (SNES) - €7.99 / £5.49
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Mario Kart 8/Club Nintendo digital promotion - register MK8 on Club Nintendo before July 31, get a free digital game! (info)
    Pullblox World promotion (Wii U) - own Pullblox or Fallblox for 3DS, get 30% off Pullblox World for Wii U! Ends July 31.]
    Clu Clu Land (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, ends July 31
    Dr. Mario (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, ends July 31
    Excitebike (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, ends July 31
    Ice Hockey (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, ends July 31
    Super Mario Bros. (Wii U VC) - €3.49 / £2.44 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, ends July 31
    The Legend of Zelda (Wii U VC) - €3.49 / £2.44 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, ends July 31
    Urban Champion (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, ends July 31
    Donkey Kong (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, runs from July 31-August 7
    Ice Climber (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, runs from July 31-August 7
    Kirby's Adventure (Wii U VC) - €3.49 / £12.44 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, runs from July 31-August 7
    Punch-Out!! (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, runs from July 31-August 7
    Super Mario Bros. 2 (Wii U VC) - €3.49 / £2.44 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, runs from July 31-August 7
    Wario's Woods (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, runs from July 31-August 7
    Zelda II: Adventure of Link (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, runs from July 31-August 7
    TNT Racers Nitro Machines Edition (Wii U) - €4.99 / £4.49 from July 31-August 14
    Trine 2: Directors Cut (Wii U) - €6.79 / £5.49 from July 31-August 21

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    LEGO Ninjago Nindroids - €39.99 / £34.99
3DS eSHOP
    2048 - €1.49 / £1.19
    Family Kart 3D - €4.99 / £4.49
    Quell Reflect (demo)
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Steamworld Dig (3DS eShop) - €4.49 / £3.99 until July 31
    escapeVektor (3DS eShop) - €3.99 / £3.59 until July 31
    Pokemon Link: Battle (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.99 until July 31
    Real Heroes: Firefighter 3D (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.99 until July 31
    Aqua Moto Racing 3D (3DS eShop) - €3.99 / £3.39 until July 31
    Snow Moto Racing 3D (3DS eShop) - €3.99 / £3.39 until July 31
    Disney Frozen: Olaf's Quest (3DS) - €19.99 / £19.99 from July 31-August 14
    Rage of the Gladiator 3D (3DS eShop) - €3.49 / £3.09 from July 31-August 28

Twinbee Adventure is another 50HZ game - again, there was no NA version to use. This one's a platformer, never actually played it myself.

Family Kart 3D has a big "DISPLAYS IN 2D ONLY" disclaimer in the PR, cute.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Family Kart 3D has a big "DISPLAYS IN 2D ONLY" disclaimer in the PR, cute.

If they're releasing their games in the same order as they did in Japan (I have no idea) then you've another 2 years of several god-awful Arc Systems Works games a month.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

ookiimarukochan posted:

If they're releasing their games in the same order as they did in Japan (I have no idea) then you've another 2 years of several god-awful Arc Systems Works games a month.

If this is the price of funding Guilty Gear Xrd, I'm totally fine with that.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
So how does this wiiu deluxe digital promo work? It credits you back ten percent of all your eshop purchases automatically or do you have to earn a set amount before you can redeem them? Any good exclusives I ought to check out?

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Stan Taylor posted:

So how does this wiiu deluxe digital promo work? It credits you back ten percent of all your eshop purchases automatically or do you have to earn a set amount before you can redeem them? Any good exclusives I ought to check out?
You go to the site then sign in. You'll see how many points you've earned and if you can redeem them for a $5 eShop credit. NES Remix 1/2(2 is better) and Pushmo World are good exclusives. You can redeem your $5 credit on Wii U eShop or the 3DS eShop. Games you obtain for free(Platinum/gold Club Nintendo rewards, games you obtained using Club Nintendo coins or through the Mario Kart 8 promotion) will count towards your deluxe points at retail prices. The promotion only applies to deluxe consoles and ends in December.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

deafmute posted:

You go to the site then sign in. You'll see how many points you've earned and if you can redeem them for a $5 eShop credit. NES Remix 1/2(2 is better) and Pushmo World are good exclusives. You can redeem your $5 credit on Wii U eShop or the 3DS eShop. Games you obtain for free(Platinum/gold Club Nintendo rewards, games you obtained using Club Nintendo coins or through the Mario Kart 8 promotion) will count towards your deluxe points at retail prices. The promotion only applies to deluxe consoles and ends in December.

Rad, thanks! Didn't realize I'd get that from club Nintendo rewards. Now I'm really wishing I had bought my Wii U two weeks ago before I redeemed my platinum reward on a 3ds game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Another Wii U eShop announcement: Lone Survivor is coming later this year, via Curve Studios. No word on whether it's the original or the Directors' Cut version, but you'd imagine it'd have to be the latter.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Stan Taylor posted:

Isn't it 8 percent? I think it is in the UK, anyway.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Well, poo poo. I was sure I had 600 coins for Platinum status. I had 590. :negative:

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Akuma posted:

Isn't it 8 percent? I think it is in the UK, anyway.

It's 10% of the price -VAT, that's why it's only 8% in most of Europe.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Two Tribes just posted an announcement trailer for their next game, RIVE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDRvMMpDwtk

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of July 31):

quote:

WII U eSHOP
    XType Plus - €2.99 / £2.69
    Ice Cream Surfer - €5.00 / £4.49
    Midtown Crazy Race - €5.00 / £4.49
    Bombing Bastards - €6.99 / £5.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Donkey Kong (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, runs until August 7
    Ice Climber (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, runs until August 7
    Kirby's Adventure (Wii U VC) - €3.49 / £12.44 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, runs until August 7
    Punch-Out!! (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, runs until August 7
    Super Mario Bros. 2 (Wii U VC) - €3.49 / £2.44 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, runs until August 7
    Wario's Woods (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, runs runs until August 7
    Zelda II: Adventure of Link (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, runs until August 7
    TNT Racers Nitro Machines Edition (Wii U) - €4.99 / £4.49 until August 14
    Trine 2: Directors Cut (Wii U) - €6.79 / £5.49 until August 21

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    LEGO Ninjago Nindroids - €39.99 / £34.99
3DS eSHOP
    2048 - €1.49 / £1.19
    Family Kart 3D - €4.99 / £4.49
    Quell Reflect (demo)
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Disney Frozen: Olaf's Quest (3DS) - €19.99 / £19.99 until August 14
    Rage of the Gladiator 3D (3DS eShop) - €3.49 / £3.09 until August 28

NA update (week of July 31):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Assassins' Creed 4: Black Flag - $29.99 (permanent price reduction)
WII U eSHOP
    Frederic: Resurrection of Music - $?
    IQ Test - $3.99
    XType Plus - $3.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Mega Man Battle Network (GBA) - $7.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Poker Dice Solitaire Future (Wii U eShop) - $0.99 until August 6
    Trine 2: Directors' Cut (Wii U eShop) - $7.99 until August 14

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    LEGO Ninjago: Nindroids - $29.99
3DS eSHOP
    Steel Empire - $29.99
    Tangram Attack - $?
    Cubit the Hardcore Platformer Robot (demo)
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Code of Princess (3DS) - $14.99 until August 4
    Shin Megami Tensei 4 (3DS) - $24.99 until August 4
    Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked (3DS) - $14.99 until August 4
    Shin Megami Tensei: Soul Hackers (3DS) - $14.99 until August 4
CLUB NINTENDO DIGITAL REWARDS
    3D Classics Kid Icarus (3DS eShop) - 200 Coins, available until August 3
    Donkey Kong Jr. (Wii U VC) - 200 Coins, available until August 3
    Metal Torrent (DSiWare) - 200 Coins, available until August 3
    Paper Mario (Wii VC) - 250 Coins, available until August 3

(there's some more 3DS shovelware on sale in both regions but I'm sick of listing it every week)

The NOA press release says there'll be a Mega Man game released on the Wii U VC every Thursday for the month of August - just based on what Japan already has, expect MM5/6/7 and Battle Chip Challenge.

Steel Empire is a remake of a cult horizontal shooter for Sega Megadrive and GBA; it was a retail release in Japan but it getting a digital-only release elsewhere, but even so, they're gonna really struggle to get people to pay full price.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 31, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Don't buy the first MMBN game. Trust me. It's really bad.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Don't buy the first MMBN game. Trust me. It's really bad.

I have to somewhat disagree, I think it's good but BN2 and onward did things a LOT better. Still buying it anyway since I hate digging out my GBA.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Its basically good if you haven't played the second one, which vastly improves upon most of the gameplay mechanics. No matter what game you pick there will always be a lot of talk to everyone fetch quest bullshit, but some are worse than others in that regard. MMBN actually isn't as bad as the second one in that regard, but all the other mechanics from 2 onward are soooo much better.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

The NOA press release says there'll be a Mega Man game released on the Wii U VC every Thursday for the month of August - just based on what Japan already has, expect MM5/6/7 and Battle Chip Challenge.

Aww... Well, great for Megaman fans, but I've been hoping they release some Fire Emblem and/or Castlevania on the Wii U VC. If they're doing a Megaman month, it's probably not happening any time soon.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I never played the GBA Castlevanias, how are they compared to the DS ones?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE

Heeey, that's pretty cool. This is a really fun obscure platformer that I never see people talking about. It's not the greatest or anything, but it's really solid and good looking like most of Konami's SNES games. It's basically Rocket Knight/Sparkster, but way cuter.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

greatn posted:

I haven't played them either. That's why I want them on the VC.

I loved the DS ones, but I haven't explored much of the other entries in the series.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

greatn posted:

Eh, for the most part completely differently.

Circle of the Moon was made by the same team (or at least development studio) who did the N64 Castlevanias, and is just sort of trying to imitate SotN while also being much harder. You're mostly stuck with a whip but can get two different decks of cards that let you use magic and other random stuff. You mix one card from each deck and then activate them for anything from using a simple strength buff, to changing your whip to a rose sword to summoning monsters. The problem is that the cards are rare drops and some of them are incredibly rare. Also there's like one (or maybe two) unique songs in the entire game, the rest are arrangements/remixes of other Castlevania music.

Harmony of Dissonance is kind of the one that people poo poo on, because the music sounds like it's coming from a Genesis, and the castle layout is incredibly confusing your first time through (imagine if SotN's inverted castle wasn't inverted, and that you had secretly been going between both of them in a normal playthrough and aren't told until you're halfway done). You're stuck with the whip again but you can change the tips to give you different effects. You can get magic modifiers for your subweapons and you can dash with the L and R buttons (to dash in either direction no matter which way you're facing). People tend to overplay this game's badness, I think.

Aria of Sorrow is pretty much a less refined version of Dawn of Sorrow. Not that it's bad at all, but it's less impressive in light of the DS game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Silver Falcon posted:

Aww... Well, great for Megaman fans, but I've been hoping they release some Fire Emblem and/or Castlevania on the Wii U VC. If they're doing a Megaman month, it's probably not happening any time soon.

We don't know that they won't release other games in addition to the MM stuff, not that NOA has ever needed an excuse not to release anything.

Konami has recently classified one of the CV GBA games (Aria of Sorrow) but it hasn't been officially announced and it's anyone's guess as to when it might show up. That being said, Konami is one of the more aggressive third-party publishers on the VC, so I'm sure we'll get 'em all sooner or later.

There are a few first-party GBA games that are already out in Japan and will probably drop elsewhere in the near future... Fire Emblem 7/8, Metroid Zero Mission, Mario vs. Donkey Kong, Golden Sun 2, the various Mario GBA ports, as well as Kuru Kuru Kururin, a game that no-one but me cares about.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I Care About Kuru Kuru Kururin.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Phantasium posted:

Harmony of Dissonance is kind of the one that people poo poo on, because the music sounds like it's coming from a Genesis, and the castle layout is incredibly confusing your first time through (imagine if SotN's inverted castle wasn't inverted, and that you had secretly been going between both of them in a normal playthrough and aren't told until you're halfway done). You're stuck with the whip again but you can change the tips to give you different effects. You can get magic modifiers for your subweapons and you can dash with the L and R buttons (to dash in either direction no matter which way you're facing). People tend to overplay this game's badness, I think.

I'll jump in right now and say I really liked Harmony. The music is forgettable at best and horribly grating at worst, but the gameplay is solid and I got a kick out of abusing that L/R dash as my main form of movement. Heck, I even enjoyed the stupid not-inverted-inverted gimmick. Plus you unlock the protagonist's buddy and his playthrough is amusing if not particularly good just because he's a weirdly different balance of mobility and strength.

Maybe this is just me being terrible, but I liked it more than Aria of Sorrow, although certainly not more than Dawn of Sorrow.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Kuru Kuru Kururin, a game that no-one but me cares about.

It was awesome. As was the sequel which is very import friendly.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Capcom confirmed the MM games coming next month, in no particular order: MM5, MM6, MMX3, Battle Chip Challenge.

homeless snail posted:

I Care About Kuru Kuru Kururin.

Shelf Adventure posted:

It was awesome. As was the sequel which is very import friendly.

They really need to give us the second game, yeah, and they can port the Gamecube game to eShop while they're at it.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

Heeey, that's pretty cool. This is a really fun obscure platformer that I never see people talking about. It's not the greatest or anything, but it's really solid and good looking like most of Konami's SNES games. It's basically Rocket Knight/Sparkster, but way cuter.

Yeah, I got this today and I'd have to agree with this. The level design is nothing to write home about, but very few other games have felt so good with moving around, at least for me.

Champeenship fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Aug 1, 2014

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Capcom confirmed the MM games coming next month, in no particular order: MM5, MM6, MMX3, Battle Chip Challenge.

They really need to give us the second game, yeah, and they can port the Gamecube game to eShop while they're at it.

The second game is basically the only Japanese import game I own and it's totally fuckin rad

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Phantasium posted:

Aria of Sorrow is pretty much a less refined version of Dawn of Sorrow. Not that it's bad at all, but it's less impressive in light of the DS game.

I would disagree with this- I played Aria and Dawn last year and found Aria far more satisfying than Dawn. Part of that may be that Aria isn't nearly as chock-full of sprites and animations and even environments ported directly from Symphony of the Night. Aria feels a lot less like a rush-job. Dawn's also far grindier because instead of having weapons all over the castle to find like in Aria, Dawn only ever gives you a handful of weapons and expects you to grind out souls to burn off in exchange for upgrading those weapons. And since it requires specific souls for specific weapons, you're going to be grinding the same enemies over and over and over trying to get a weapon that will keep up with the enemies you're fighting. It's obnoxious. The only thing I think Dawn of Sorrow does better than Aria is having a better endgame/alternate ending.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
So, Tokita from Square-Enix announced that Live-A-Live (SNES) will be getting a Wii U VC release sometime this year, in celebration of its 20th anniversary. It's never, ever gonna leave Japan, but still, neat.

Less neat: that will make 16 S-E games on the Japanese VC, not counting Taito stuff, as opposed to NA/PAL-land'z 0. What the gently caress?

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 1, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Two more bits of news:

-The Wii U version of Steamworld Dig is done and will be out in the next few weeks. NOE's site has it listed for the 28th.

-Wayforward will be releasing Xtreme Sports, their first original GBC game, on the 3DS VC next week (August 7). It's a California Sports-style minigame thing with an overworld and NPCs and such. (It's also a pre-Virt game, so the music sucks.)

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Well I finally picked up Shovel Knight, and Minish Cap. Funny story, I played Minish Cap as a kid, got to just before the final boss when my game was stolen from me at school, and after seeing my gameboy advance in some kids bag with all the lovely stickers on it I took it and got caught and was suspended from school for a week because the kid who stole it originally's mom put up a fuss. gently caress YOU TYLER

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Austrian mook posted:

Well I finally picked up Shovel Knight, and Minish Cap. Funny story, I played Minish Cap as a kid, got to just before the final boss when my game was stolen from me at school, and after seeing my gameboy advance in some kids bag with all the lovely stickers on it I took it and got caught and was suspended from school for a week because the kid who stole it originally's mom put up a fuss. gently caress YOU TYLER

Wait, you took back YOUR GBA and you got suspended, even though he stole it from you? :psyduck:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
I hope you at least kept your GBA and didn't have to apologise and give it back.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Wait, you took back YOUR GBA and you got suspended, even though he stole it from you? :psyduck:

Yeah nobody believed he originally took it from me.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Austrian mook posted:

Yeah nobody believed he originally took it from me.

Where did his mum think it came from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

PoshAlligator posted:

Where did his mum think it came from?

A lot of parents will avoid throwing their kid under the bus academically even if they know for a fact they did something really wrong, especially for the type of infraction that could risk things like expulsion.