Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It still shows up as Retail Only on the US e-Shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

lizzyinthesky posted:

That is a pretty awful reason. Because people like SNES games they shouldn't have SNES games? gently caress that noise.

Super Mario World for $9.99 would decimate sales of a new $39.99 Mario game, the same with Metroid, Zelda, Star Fox, and Pokemon. Nintendo isn't trying to sell a portable SNES, they are trying to sell a new handheld console. If you want one of those, just get this.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PonchAxis posted:

So what Zelda II was just released on the eShop is that going to cut in the sales of a new Zelda game? (the answer is no of course not)

Real dumb logic and I bet they're holding out on the SNES games so they can release them later on in the future. Like I am itching to buy SNES games on my 3DS XL and so are many other people. I have no idea how this would hurt Nintendo at all.

E: Also have you taken a look at the current eshop there is almost nothing really there! Just a handful of games. I know crashmo just came out and that is awesome but there really isn't much else.

Zelda is probably an exception to the rule, but a Mario game is a Mario game

SNES games aren't on their priority list right now. I'm not sure if they could even get an accurate emulation (something very important to Nintendo) of the system to run on the 3DS. There hasn't been any word from Nintendo about releasing those games on the system. The only ones originally promised were Gameboy and Gameboy Color, until the shift in company policy last year. The NES and GBA games were a surprise and in the state they were given, rushed. The GBA emulator is still in mothballs and has yet to be updated. I think a release of the Super Mario Advance series and generally all of the GBA remakes of games are going to be the way anything from the SNES era will even appear on 3DS outside of a full blown 3DS remake.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'd say it's more to encourage people to buy the full $60 games during the holiday season. Nobody is buying it at launch for the e-Shop.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
DSTWO and some of the R4i flashcarts were blocked according to GBATemp.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They put out a press release for it

Nintendo of America Press Release posted:

Nintendo eShop on Wii U™
Holiday Deals in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U – For a limited time, Chasing Aurora, Little Inferno and Trine 2™: Director's Cut are now available in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U at a special price.

Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS™
Fluidity: Spin Cycle – Tilt, turn and even completely rotate your Nintendo 3DS system 360 degrees to maneuver a puddle of water through a mazelike, magical world filled with tricky tunnels and crazy contraptions. In this sequel to the hit game Fluidity, change from liquid to a block of ice or a steam cloud to solve fun, gravity-defying puzzles as you try to rescue the Rainbow Spirits trapped in the pages of a magical book.

Super Mario Bros.™: The Lost Levels – Originally released in 1986 in Japan as Super Mario Bros. 2, this game has made only brief appearances in the West. Mario™ fans will appreciate the familiar look and feel of the game, while finding that its updated game play presents an entirely new challenge. In addition to the classic enemies already known to fans worldwide, there are also Poison Mushrooms, backward Warp Zones and the occasional wind gust (which can help or hinder progress). Players can get ready to put their Mario skills to the ultimate test and save the Princess once again. Just don't be surprised if she's in another castle. Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels is now available as a Virtual Console title for the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.

Mega Man™ – Join the blue bomber in his first ever adventure as he battles the evil Dr. Wily and his robotic henchmen. Mega Man is a super robot created by the genius scientist Dr. Light. When another scientist by the name of Dr. Wily goes rogue with an army of six of his own devious Robot Masters, it's up to Mega Man to put a stop to his nefarious plot by traversing a series of stages rife with enemies, traps and perilous platform challenges. Mega Man was originally released for the Nintendo Entertainment System™ in 1987 and is now available as a Virtual Console title for the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.

Virtual Console for Wii™
SHOCK TROOPERS 2ND SQUAD – SHOCK TROOPERS 2ND SQUAD is a military-themed action game, first released in 1998. Choose one of four mercenaries and battle through multiple stages by shooting, using different weapons and jumping. The highly praised scoring system from the previous game returns, but the characters are all new. Some other changes include the abilities to operate vehicles and choose different routes in levels.

Also new this week:
• A Jam-Packed Year-in-Review! (Nintendo Video™ on Nintendo 3DS)
• Johnny Impossible™ (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
• Mahjong 3D - Warriors of the Emperor (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
• Goooooal América (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS / Nintendo DSi™ Shop on Nintendo DSi)
• Jump Trials Extreme (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS / Nintendo DSi Shop on Nintendo DSi)
• Wizard Defenders (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS / Nintendo DSi Shop on Nintendo DSi)

E: Yeah, they are all on the e-Shop right now.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 27, 2012

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

StevenM posted:

I still can't believe they made the decision to disallow multiplayer on old games. The biggest boost in popularity for games like Tetris or Radar Mission was the ability to link up with another player, and now you just drop the ROM in the online store without even that? What's the point then?

The simple answer is Nintendo doesn't want to spend the money to hire a set of programmers to work out a way for link cables to work.

I'll save the :words: and put in the real issues

This is assuming that the whole cable thing is worked out which alone might cost Nintendo more than they would get back from selling a couple extra copies of a game to stubborn holdouts. They removed link compatibility from the DS systems, so they obviously had the problem then.

What do you do if someone doesn't have the same game?
If you send the whole game over Local Wifi, how do you keep the other person from going into single player and beating the whole game, depriving Nintendo of a sale?
You lose link connectivity in the emulated game, how do you reconnect? Do you drop all players and force the game to be redownloaded?

It goes on and on. They would get roughly the same amount of money if they were to put Pokemon on the Virtual Console with or without a link cable. They're selling nostalgia, not multiplayer.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Witch's cat and bloody vampire are both $4.99. The eShop updates are weird because if you search at midnight, a number of things will appear, some immediately available, others waiting for the noon update.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Thanks for that, duderinos.

Retail downloads go up at midnight, eShop-only games go up later. I don't remember Witch's Cat/Bloody Vampire getting retail releases, but that's how they're listed on the website.

They were eShop only. They added the trailer from Pokemon Direct this morning with a different music track so I had to check the whole drat thing to be sure there was nothing new.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Dig Dug got added to the NOA eShop for $3.99 with a release date of 02/14/2013
Also Petz 3D, but no price listing there.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Monster Hunter demo opens up with a screen saying it is incompatible with the Circle Pad Pro

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
FireFighter 3D is $9.99

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I didn't see it mentioned in the thread, but Code of Princess got a $10 price drop to $29.99, not a sale price.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There's a banner over it in the eShop saying "Only $29.99 until 6/10/2013"

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They have server side time now, or else my clock would be set to June 9th to buy Animal Crossing already.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://loveconquersallgam.es/post/2350461718/gently caress-the-super-game-boy-introduction

I feel like this article needs to be in any discussion on the Super Gameboy.

What's interesting about the Oracle games is that Nintendo disabled a book that instructed on how to use the link cable to transfer rings, but didn't bother to open the GBA shop. I got the advance rings by creating a new game+ code with them.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You can see the slowdown in Code of Princess as soon as you start the first battle. It immediately went into the folder of oblivion on my home screen.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

irlZaphod posted:

I haven't played any of the EO games, so I can't wait to try the demo of EO4.

Is it likely we'll get a demo of SMT4 too? Was there one released in the US eShop? I'd like to try that game out too since I've never played anything in the series.

We never got a SMT IV eshop demo.

The first hour or so of the game is exclusively navigated through a menu system. Any demo would require being in the middle of the game.

The game is quite fun. The Battle system is similar to Devil Survivor with an extra gimmick to keep getting extra turns. You run around a 3D world and can see enemies as a blue blob of digital stuff.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My experience with the two Shantae games out there actually makes me a little bit less excited for the 3DS and Kickstarter ones.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Atlus just promoted Devil Survivor Overclocked at $30 (probably $29.99) on twitter.

E: It is indeed $29.99

Dehry fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 11, 2013

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEOcMXcsojI

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pope Guilty posted:

As far as I'm aware only one exploit to bypass the 3DS's security and execute random code has been found, and it was demonstrated, then disclosed to Nintendo, who patched it in a system update.

Yeah, and now that exploit is to the point they can run the newer firmware off of an SD card so they can have eshop access. That function is still in beta, but worth noting.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/11/06/hometown-story-playtest-shouldnt-go-home/

This article sums up my experience with Hometown Story quite nicely.

E: I now realize this is the eShop thread, but I did buy it in the eShop so :colbert:

Dehry fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 7, 2013

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I paid $40 to be able to jump over pies. I got a pretty fun fashion game as a bonus.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SatansBestBuddy posted:

How about Attack of the Friday Monsters? I'm gonna buy both Crimson Shroud and The Starship Damrey, and was curious what Friday Monsters was about.

I've been avoiding it myself because from what I've heard, it's more like playing the tutorial of an RPG. That and what was mentioned about the people who actually lived it not being impressed.

And as far as emulation goes,

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/08/accuracy-takes-power-one-mans-3ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There's a little something called Pokemon Bank that is crashing Nintendo's servers right now. I'm not sure if the NOA and NOJ store servers are connected in any way, but they need a Nintendo Network ID after the last update. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the reason.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Pokebank is now TBD and the Japanese service has now been pulled. The official site still lists the 27th, but that should change before long.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Agrias120 posted:

Has anyone played Hometown Story? I've had my eye on it and the fact that it's on sale is pretty appealing, but it looks like it got panned in reviews.

You find out grandma is dead, show up in town, a fuzzy thing tells you how to sell an item then opens the store. Supposedly there is a story of some sort, but it got boring within a few minutes.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They'll bring it back online and give away Super Mario 3 away as an appology, just to crash the servers again.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Pokebank was officially delayed half an hour ago. Maybe now I can get back to re-buying all my SMT games digitally.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/416390191981797376

E: on the plus side, it went straight to the maintenance screen instead of sitting in limbo for a couple minutes.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 27, 2013

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nintendo posted:

We sincerely apologize for the connection problems in the Nintendo eShop. We understand this is taking longer than expected, but we can assure you that providing a solution is our top priority. We are determined to make sure everyone can enjoy all that Wii U and Nintendo 3DS have to offer. In an effort to manage the high volume of traffic and ultimately improve your experience, we are temporarily taking the Nintendo eShop services offline between the hours of 4 p.m. - 4 a.m. ET. Thank you so much for your continued patience. We will keep you updated.

Nintendo of Europe posted:

To improve your experience, we are temporarily taking the Nintendo eShop services offline between the hours of 10 p.m. and 10 a.m. CET.

:unsmigghh:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nintendo of Japan posted:

For the time being, the #3DS #eShop will only be available to Japan between 6 am and 6 pm in order to alleviate the server load.

Anyways, instead of spending $50 rebuying eshop games this week, I may just go get myself one of those $50 32GB PS Vita memory cards on sale tonight.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 27, 2013

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ookiimarukochan posted:

Japanese servers are offline between 6PM and 6AM so everyone is being burned by Nintendo's fuckup here.

Right, but 4PM-4AM eastern is 1PM Pacific to 1AM Pacific. They are prioritizing traffic for the Japanese market. US and Europe are offline at the same time, but going down at 9PM is better than 1PM.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 27, 2013

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The West Coast and Hawaii aren't going to fare much better. It's 1AM to 1PM on the West coast and 11pm to 11am in Hawaii. At least in theory you could buy a bunch of things and let it sit overnight. They really are just focusing on Japan. If they cared about high demand or serving everyone fairly it would be staggered and not Japan 12 hours then the rest of the world 12 hours.

It's just got to be this unified Nintendo Network that is the issue. The US eShop servers would have to be reconfigured entirely unless for some reason they also have all the Japanese games stored on them and can change the region on them at will. The website even specifically mentions the creation of Nintendo Network IDs being the issue. They may have enough server space to run the eShop (Pokemon XY issues cleared up in an hour,) but now everything worldwide authenticates through the one service, including the new Pokebank App, which has to reconnect constantly because only one box at a time can be transferred from the old games.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hometown Story is a $20 game at best.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My guess would be that he really just signs off on projects after they have been approved by lower level management. Aside from a couple games he might play in Japan on a business trip and like, he probably leaves it to the lower level management to determine what is coming over.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Atlus's conquest of my wallet continues.

E: Once again, don't buy Hometown Story.

E2: \/\/ EO:U is fun. They added a story mode to the original EO and for me it's a much better experience than EO IV. I'm rebuying it on digital when it goes on sale.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 16, 2014

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Machine posted:

Which 3DS Harvest Moon is the one to get again?

A New Beginning is the most recent one. There's also another one in the pipeline called Harvest Moon: Connect to a New Land.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Reoxygenation posted:

There's a new 3ds update, and apparently the price of Project X Zone was cut on the eshop? I'll check when I'm done updating.

e: PXZ is now $19.99 on the eshop if that tickles your fancy.

It was $14.99 a couple weeks ago. Anyone who wants it digitally has it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

(there are probably more NA sales than listed here, NOA is always leaving crap off the press release)

Here's the stuff from the price drop category on the 3DS eShop. Only the one game was released.

Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures $29.99 ($10 off)
Phineas and Ferb: Quest for Cool Stuff $19.99 ($10 off)
Hotel Transylvania $9.99 ($10 off)
Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs 2 $19.99($10 off)
Doodle Jump $14.99($15 off)
Bomb Monkey $2.99 ($2 off)
Darts Up 3D is $0.99 on that sale, I think a first for the system.
Rage of the Gladiator $3.49 ($3.50 off through 1/30)
AiRace Speed $2.99 ($2 off through 2/5)