Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
So I just got a Wii U after never having the original Wii. Will buying Virtual Console games via Wii mode tie them to my Ninendo Network ID that I set up for the U in any way? Or is it just a bad idea to go there until some proper Wii U version of the VC comes out (I believe that was supposed to be in the cards, unless I understood incorrectly)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I'm more annoyed that TVii is basically useless if you have a higher-end receiver. You can have surround-sound or a TVii that actually works, but not both.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Rirse posted:

Wish they would reveal what happening with the WiiU Virtual Console. I was thinking of buying some VC games to fill the holes in my collection, but it's hard to buy stuff from the Wii side these days without knowing around the corner the WiiU VC will get announced and you would have to rebuy everything you had.

Waiting is fine, until you start seeing things like Donkey Kong Country and Sim City get pulled without warning.
Same here. There is so much money I'm ready to give them for VC stuff. But I'm in this annoying limbo waiting for these announcements and I know I'm not alone.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
drat, so if I buy something on the original VC, games will be stretched to fill a 16:9 screen, with no way to change it? Or is that a region-specific problem like that 50Hz thing I keep hearing about?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Supercar Gautier posted:

All widescreen on the Wii was anamorphic, which is still true for Wii mode on Wii U. This means that even when you're in widescreen mode for a widescreen TV, what you're technically getting is a 4:3 signal that's designed to be stretched out.

VC games don't do this because that would require compressing the image horizontally and distorting it, so those titles just send the 4:3 signal as-is. Which means you have to tell your TV not to stretch it.
That's actually not so bad now that I think about it. I've got a Harmony remote, so I'll just add a 4:3 TV toggle button in the remote's Wii U mode.:snoop: Thanks for expounding!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
How long do the club Nintendo games stay up for? I'm 30 coins short of Paper Mario right now.

Also am I understanding correctly-- VC games purchases on a Wii U in Wii mode won't give me any coins? I'm trying to come up with the best way to scrape up 30 coins here.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Obeast posted:

Someone on Nintendo's official tech support forum says they don't expire. I got a few games that way and didn't see anything about them expiring, so I doubt they do.
I recently entered codes from games I bought in like 2005 (GameCube and original DS mostly; some GBA too) and the Club Nintendo site accepted them just fine. They still sent the "post play surveys" afterwards too, for even more coins. So yeah I don't think expiration is an issue.

EDIT: just realized I misunderstood the original question, but I'll leave that up there as an unrelated FYI. My point was in regard to registering retail games in Club Nintendo.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 13, 2013

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Just bought a 3DS XL but not sure if I should register it yet. Do Club Nintendo points expire in June or something like that? Or is it just your Platinum status that gets reset?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

elf help book posted:

Your platinum status resets then. Your unspent coins do eventually expire but it's something like 3 or 4 years, so it isn't a big deal. You can check on your account page.
Oh well that's nice. Apparently I have zero expiring coins! Cool then. Might as well wait and use the boost for next year's platinum, unless some really nice reward comes up between now and then.

edit:

MykonosFan posted:

Platinum status. Your coins don't expire until 2 years after registering. If you care about Platinum and think you won't get it even with registering the XL you may want to hold off and get a head start for next year.
ha yeah like you said

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Man, I wish they had just put Kirby's Dream Course on the Wii collection. It seems pointless to get two games that were already on it (3 and Super Star) just to get it free. Great idea for anyone who doesn't have the Dream Collection though.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Super Mario RPG is a regular $8 game on the North American Wii Virtual Console, right? Just want to make sure I can still get if I pass on the current Club Nintendo coin promotion.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Yes it's $8 in NA.
Great, thanks. Makes sense for me to hold off on a bunch of registrations til after June then.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I forget how this works - if I buy an eShop/DSIware/Virtual Console game on 3Ds now, will I get Club Nintendo coins right away, or do I have to fill out a survey first? I'm itching to buy a few things, but I've been holding off for the new "fiscal year" when the Platinum Status resets. If I can delay the coin payouts with surveys however, I'll just buy some stuff now.

tl,dr: Can I buy a digital 3DS game now, but not get coins for it til July?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think Nintendo initially viewed the Wii remote as the natural secondary controller, and the Pro Controller as a niche accessory for core gamers. That obviously doesn't make a lot of sense considering the Gamepad's layout, but hopefully this signals a shift towards emphasizing the Pro.
In the case of NSMBU I think it was just a technical issue, as there are a few instances of tilt controls in the game. The patch will probably map the tilting to the Pro's shoulder buttons or something like that.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
If you buy a game now in the 3DS eShop, when's the latest you can complete the registration (not post-play) survey on Club Nintendo? Wondering if they are inching past July 1st yet.

I know the post-play surveys go pretty late (I'm seeing expiration dates in September for eShop titles I bought in May), but the window for registration surveys is way shorter.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I don't have a 3DS registered with Club Nintendo.

If I download Animal Crossing today will it automatically register or can I delay that until July and earn 60 coins for next year?
You should be okay:

Nintendo.com FAQ posted:

Do Surveys Expire?
Answer:

Yes. Product Registration surveys for physical games registered via PIN expire after 7 days. Product Registration surveys for digital games, when offered, expire after 30 days. Post-play surveys expire after 120 days. Please review the date listed next to the survey in your To-Do list to ensure that you take the survey before it expires.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/club/en/faq.jsp

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I was gonna do an eShop-related E3 summary but they didn't really announce a whole lot - there's an Art Academy Miiverse app coming to Wii U as a primer for a full retail game, and Namco is releasing a digital Pacman collection for both Wii U and 3DS that includes Pacman CE and Pacman Battle Royale, and that's pretty much it.
Bah, right after I buy PacMan/Galaga Dimensions! Guess I'll try selling that, unless they really bork the new version somehow. Pacman as a digital title is perfect.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Fancy Hat! posted:

Think US will just wait until the Thursday Eshop update for all this Streetpass nonsense?
Pretty sure we don't get those until the Fall. Once those Starbucks/McDonalds relay stations are set up you can expect a big push for the StreetPass stuff.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Spacebump posted:

If I have already hit platinum on Club Nintendo this year, should I hold off on registering anything until after July 1st?
The surveys are what actually give you the coins. If you registered a game right now, I believe you have seven days to do the survey.

But in theory, yes you should wait.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jun 28, 2013

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Looks like we have the next batch of Club Nintendo reward titles:

Any opinions on Aura-Aura Climber? Already have DK94, it's a blast.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
So is Mario 2 the first game available on both the Wii U and 3DS Virtual Consoles? That Twitter girl hinted that people who owned both platforms would benefit somehow in this scenario, but I don't think Nintendo ever said anything directly about it.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
e: wrong thread

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Got an email for this new offer. Add $100 to your Wii U eShop account, get additional $10 credit (or add $50-$99.99 in funds to get $5). http://club2.nintendo.com/rebate/?om_rid=AAB3hV&om_mid=_BR7atjB80DAWB9&eid=EM10116#.Ue2vQY2shQY

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Wait so is the Earthbound guide like a manual with a whole lot of extra flavor? Or is it more of a full walkthrough, like a "strategy guide" that lists secrets and everything?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

kevin mung posted:

Has anyone been able to get Nintendo to attach games bought on the E-Shop before they registered their 3DS with Club Nintendo? I've sent their customer service two emails now with no response besides a questionnaire about how my service was.
I have yet to actually register my XL, but I did link it to my Club Nintendo account, so all my eShop purchases have "counted." Linking to your account is the important thing. I think registering the hardware just gives you coins. Yeah it's a little confusing.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Oh neat, I had forgotten all about the Digital Deluxe Promotion. I checked out the site for the first time since I bought my Wii U and had a $5 certificate waiting for me! The codes can be redeemed on the 3DS eShop as well, which was a nice surprise.

Also threw $100 into my Wii U account for that promotion. I believe the $10 code you get from that can only be redeemed on Wii U. Would I get DDP credit for that as well? If so, that's another $10 I can spend on 3DS stuff, which is pretty awesome.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Are there really no Club Nintendo surveys for the new Streetpass games? Seems odd. I bought them a few weeks ago.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Reminder that the $5/$10 codes from that Wii U eShop promotion (the one where you add $50-$100 to your account) should be mailed out today. Just got mine! :dance:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Discount Viscount posted:

Yeah, Gator is fun enough but very very basic, Pinball Land is the culmination of HAL's triple-tier pinball trilogy with some actual interesting goals to shoot for.
Are you limited to the orignal GameBoy buttons, or does the VC emulation allow you to map the flippers to the 3DS shoulder buttons? That would be neat.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
So the $89.xx I've got in my Wii U eShop account can be used on my 3DS sometime soon? If so, that's great. I had added $100 to my Wii U during that recent promotion, with the intention of slowly spending it on DLC and smaller eShop titles over the next couple of years. If I can spend that on 3DS it'll go to use much more quickly.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Did Pac-Man Museum get delayed? It was supposed to be December 5th on all platforms. I'm itching to have an arcade-accurate Pac-Man (and some other versions) on my 3DS at all times, and I'll probably get the Wii U version too for the 4-player "Battle Royale".

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

greatn posted:

If you use the same Nintendo network id on both then your account balances are combined, yes.
Yeah it's great. I still have a big Wii U balance from that "add $100 to your account, get $10 extra credit" promotion, and it showed up on my 3DS when I went to the eShop after updating. Used some of it to buy a GameBoy VC game with no problem.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
ha, I literally bought Mario's Picross yesterday. I prefer to save my coins for physical items though so it's all good.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Any thoughts on the 3DS version of EDGE vs. the Wii U version? Seems like a natural fit for a portable platform (and the aesthetics would lend themselves to 3D, I'd think). So I'll probably go for 3DS unless Wii U has a ton of extra content or something.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I don't think they added any content or anything, it's just a straight port. Assuming the framerate's okay, I don't think it'll matter which platform you get it on.

If you're in PAL-land you'll get a little extra discount on Toki Tori 2+ just for owning EDGE, if that matters to you. EDIT: both for Wii U
Actually I just realized that the 3DS version isn't even out yet. Derp. Releases on the 26th for $1.99. Looks like it'll be the same as the Wii U content-wise, so I guess I'll be jumping on it when it drops!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
What time today does Dr. Luigi come out?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Agreed, you should definitely get it on 3DS if you have the option.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

The T posted:

Can anyone explain to me what the hell it is/why it's fun? All the trailers for it just make me feel... uncomfortable.
Haha. I've been on the fence about the game too. I know there are some minigames that require you to put your controllers on the floor, and I'm the kind of weird germophobe that gets antsy about that sort of thing (same reason I haven't jumped on Sports Club Golf yet).

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

cbirdsong posted:

Perhaps you want to buy a game while it's on sale, but not download it quite yet, because you aren't done with some of the other games on the drive. Every other digital game shop allows you to do this without any issue. It's not a weird request.
A couple months of PS+ will really drive this point home. Can't imagine how fast I'd burn through my HDD if I installed every free game as soon I "purchased" it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Force Gems used to break friendships at least as hard as Mario Party, til nobody had GBAs anymore.
Four Sword Adventures really is something special, when you have the hardware handy to play it right. Probably the most satisfying co-op gaming experience I've ever had. Considering Nintendo has not been shy about extra hardware requirements for Wii U multiplayer games, it kinda bugs me that they haven't done anything with 3DS connectivity yet. The technology is so much more ready than it was back in the GC/GBA days.

Anyway I know of at least one friend I can co-op this DSi 4 Swords with, so that'll be nice :)

Minidust fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 30, 2014