Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Unchained Blades was a full retail release with a cartridge/disk and everything for the 3DS and PSP in Japan, but when XSEED localized it they released it as digital only here in NA. It's a full length game, easily 30-50+ hours from most accounts I've heard/read, with amazing presentation as long as you don't violently react to anime or manga. Apparently there's some design issues that get in the way and it's fairly difficult, but general consensus seems to be if you liked the Etrian Odyssey series or Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey then it's something to consider taking a look at. I've been meaning to pick it up, but I haven't had the spare $30 since I picked up a larger SD card for my 3DS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
They all happen at the same time now. It's only been the past 3 or 4, the ones before didn't used to. It's another move Nintendo's been working towards, and hopefully they'll work towards getting more of their franchises to simultaneous worldwide release, like the new Pokemon games will be.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

limaCAT posted:

Libertarian Maiden: short but good Kid Icarus Uprising / Battlezone hybrid. I really liked this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbqFGG5f6iM

Crimson Shroud: a throwback to pen and papers RPG (it's like one of those solo adventures but narrated by a DM, and the setting is all mini-figures on a squared map).
I didn't play it too much, but it's good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW_4dxVcing

Aeroporter: I can't play it because it puts too much stress on me (seriously), but it's still a nice puzzler.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBZhyC-8AXs

Just wanted to second all of this. Liberation Maiden's music is also really good.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Triangle Head posted:

I do. :v: I want a Dinosaur Office game.

Dinosaur Office was the only reason I kept Nintendo Video on my 3DS for as long as I did. Then I got desperate for space on the SD card and got rid of it. After buying a new SD card I've just been too lazy to put it back on.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Link's Awakening has the most impressive 8 bit music ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOo5yr76RJs

One of the best themes from my favorite 2D Zelda. :allears:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I will to this day never understand why people continue to complain about how there are no SNES games on the 3DS when NES games have oddly distorted resolution more often than not.

I don't want SNES games looking muddled, I want them looking Pixel perfect unless they're abusing fake transparency like KDL3.

You do know if you hold start and/or select when starting a VC game, some will launch in pixel perfect format, sometimes with a nifty console render filling up the rest of the screen? And that some console renders have nifty effects, like 3D that makes it look like the game is actually sitting a bit back from face of the screen, or the power LED on the GameBoy dims as your 3DS power gets low?

It isn't really the best documented feature, but it is mentioned in the Manual menu if a game supports it.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Jetfire posted:

Did anyone else get completely loving lost early on in Shantae: Risky's Revenge? I kept running in circles around the overworld and the first dungeon (around where I got the monkey form) and just sort of lost interest because I had no sense of direction on where to go/what to find. I do want to sit down and give it another go though.

I'm sure you were already thinking along the lines of "Metroidvania," but that's really the best mindset for this game. That said, it can be kinda easy to get lost and not know where you're going, and I found Selachimorpha's map on GameFAQs helped. Keep an eye out for the red skulls on it, as they indicate the dungeons you're looking for. Obviously, it contains spoilers so if you want to keep which forms you get later on hidden from yourself, don't look at the map key.

Onean fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 24, 2013

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

FredMSloniker posted:

I'm surprised this went without comment, considering what a huge deal it'll be for those of us who don't have a lot of places to go to get Streetpasses. I might actually be able to make measurable progress in my Mii Plaza games! :v:

It's old news. I think this is the first time it's been addressed in a Nintendo Direct, but they announced it sometime around or before E3 I wanna say.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Just checked and yup, dropped from $39.99 to $29.99 for both of them. And for Hakuoki if you're talking about Memories of the Shinsengumi that's $24.99 as well.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

thelaughingman posted:

I just don't understand why Senran Kagura Burst would get a US release. These types of games never make it outside of Japan. It just looks so pointless and stupid.

Call me weird, but when I saw this announcement a couple months ago I was pretty impressed. Seeing things like this coming gives me a little hope for other more interesting foreign games coming over, like AA5. The eShop has made it more profitable for companies to bring niche titles over, so hopefully things will continue like this.

You can see this happening on PC as well, with Steam. People like Carpe Fulgur (see their blog if you thought they were dead), Capcom bringing eXceed, Ikaruga, XSEED bringing Ys and so on. Most of those are remakes or older games in Japan, but seeing that there's actual demand for them here in the west is hopefully going to keep bringing these games over.

Edit: Submit is not preview.

Onean fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Oct 24, 2013

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Most of you won't care about KORG M01D, and those of you who do probably don't need to be told how cool it is, so, uh... buy it, I guess.

While I personally won't be able to do jack poo poo with it, I'm still excited it's out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_Fhiw3QivY

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

TINA TURNER posted:

So, guys… how's 2 Fast 4 Gnomz? :haw:

Surprisingly okay. Nothing special, but I'd definitely recommend checking out the demo if you enjoy the idea of things like Super Meat Boy or Dustforce put into an auto-runner. It's not as polished as those games, but the controls seemed tight enough and there wasn't any glaringly bullshit deaths that I remember, but there are the semi-blind jumps with signs telling you what abilities you're going to want to use to not die.

Definitely check out the demo before picking it up though, just to make sure it's something you'd want to play. You get a taste for the first world, the only things it keeps from you are new Gnome forms and one of the scoring metrics, but the scoring metric (completion time) depends on the first alternate gnome you unlock (gottagofast gnome) so it makes sense.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
So, I'm up to stage 14 of 30 in Pokémon Picross. For those of you that have just played a little and are wondering, here's some things I thought worth mentioning.

Picrites are, unsurprisingly, used for a lot of stuff. There's the stage unlocks which do continue to increase in price, the last I remember was 140 but I can't remember if that was for stage 14 or not. The other reason I'm mentioning this is Mega Evolutions and the Alt-World, both of which require a one-time picrite payment to unlock. I think they were 200ish, but that was a while ago and I'm not at all confident about it.

There are 9 puzzles on stage 12, 7 on 13 and 10 on 14. They're getting a little more difficult, especially the 20x15 puzzles. Some of them have time limit missions that are actually challenging and some of the other types of missions were completely impossible for me (they required a specific type or a specific Pokémon) but that may have just been the stage or two I haven't gone back to do. Some of the time requirements were impossible for me without using Pokémon powers. I think I'm pretty decent at Picross, but individual experiences are going to be wildly different in either direction.

Alt-World, for at least the first stage or two, is just Mega Picross versions of the stages you've unlocked in the standard world. They have different missions, but there's no picrite or mural piece rewards. I don't personally like Mega Picross even in Picross E, so I haven't played a ton of it yet.

Edit: All together I'm enjoying it, and don't regret the $30 to completely unlock everything. There's already a good bit I've gone through and I haven't even unlocked half the stages or played more than a dozen Mega Picross puzzles. I do feel that playing it completely free would be a really grindy process, though. You only have to pay once to unlock a stage for both Standard and Alt-World however, so you still get a lot of content.

Onean fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 4, 2015

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

FirstAidKite posted:

Are they designed to not be solvable unless you're using abilities?

I tried inputting one of them into a picross solver to figure out what I was supposed to do and it just gave me an error saying even it couldn't figure out how to solve it lmao

Shouldn't be. It'd be a huge dick move if that was the case.

One thing to help start the larger puzzles is adding together the numbers and spaces in a row/column. If the size of the grid minus that total is smaller than any of the numbers then you know you can mark at least one block. For example, let's say you have 1 4 1 on a row 10 long. 1+4+1, plus 2 for the spaces is 8. 10-8 is 2, so you know you can mark two blocks from the 4.
pre:
[ ][ ][ ][ ][#][#][ ][ ][ ][ ]
This is way more useful on the 15x20 puzzles than the 10x10.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Quest For Glory II posted:

You can also just count from each side of the row and see where the numbers would overlap

Strange Quark posted:

The Wikipedia page on nonagrams actually has a list of strategies, lol.

What I do is just look at the blocks in a row squished all to the left and all to the right and then fill in where the same block groups overlap. For example
code:
4-1-5
[4][4][4][4][x][1][x][5][5][5][5][5][x][x][x]
[x][x][x][4][4][4][4][x][1][x][5][5][5][5][5]

Fills in
[-][-][-][4][-][-][-][-][-][-][5][5][-][-][-]

Sure, but that takes a lot longer, at least for me.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I haven't checked the 3DS version yet, but the PC version has so much god drat content. It's $9.99 USD on Steam and $19.99 USD on 3DS, so I have no idea how well it matches up.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
At least the 3DS and WiiU have the touch screens. It apparently works really well for the 3DS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Eh, I kinda agree with them. The cool items were really cool, but there just weren't that many of them. :shrug: Game is still good though.