Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I'm at 280 coins, want to get to 300 by the end of the month. Do Virtual Console games still give 10 coins each? If so, I could put $10 in and get the GBC Shantae, which I've been curious about, and...something else? Is this a viable plan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
First off, shoutout to forums user Nostalgia4Ass for pushing me into Gold tier.

Secondly, while I'm probably planning on getting one of the Zelda Oracle games I have always heard good things about The Mysterious Murasume Castle but I have no idea what the hell it is, and thought goons are usually quicker than searching online. Is that something I should get or should I stick with one of the Oracles games? If it is the Oracle games I'll probably just flip a coin...they're basically one of the only blind spots in my Zelda experience, the other big one being Spirit Tracks.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
So a lot of people criticize Nintendo for the glacial release of N64 titles, but how many first-party-owned titles do they really have to add to the list? Star Fox 64 (likely coming when Star Fox 0 launches)? Pilotwings 64? Super Smash Bros? (Maybe they don't want to confuse people?) Wave Race?

N64 had a pretty limited first party library.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

MinibarMatchman posted:

konami krazy racers is important because it means konami is looking at its GBA library and thus our slim chances of getting Ninja Five-0 aka Ninja Cop are now better

MinibarMatchman posted:

konami krazy racers is important because it means konami is looking at its GBA library and thus our slim chances of getting Ninja Five-0 aka Ninja Cop are now better

Maybe Konami will release the Goemon N64 games at some point?

(Haha of course they won't.)

There may be a nonzero chance we get the lovely N64 Castlevania games, though.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I appreciate that they're supporting Wii downloads and I get that this ties into Halloween, but could they have picked a game that wasn't already available everywhere?

Hell, given that their Halloween Wii U Eshop theme has an entire page devoted to "Castlevania Games," even throwing the two N64 Castlevania games or some of the DS games onto the Eshop would make sense, and if there's one thing Konami is supporting on the Eshop, it's Castlevania.

No, Nintendo and Capcom, I'm not buying RE4 Wii Edition for $15 when I can get the HD version and a bunch of random stuff I won't play like RE5 from Humble Bundle for 9.48.

EDIT: Oh, it's NOE, not NOA, so I wouldn't even get that option. Carry on.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Any word yet on what NA is getting this week?

It's a shame that Square-Enix doesn't do Virtual Console stuff...the Wii U would be the perfect platform for The World Ends With You due to the Gamepad. I'm not totally sure why we even have DS stuff on the eShop when there's so little of that fantastic console library's stuff on it. There's so much good stuff that came out on the DS that is absurdly expensive today that I'd love to get cheap on VC rather than tracking down an expensive cart to put into my 3DS...Dragon Quest IX comes to mind (it took me years to find DQ V and VI at not-bankbusting prices...I'll never find IX).

Question for the thread: if you could have any one game for the six systems that the Wii U VC covers come to the VC, which would it be? Not limited by the possibility of it actually coming out.

NES: The original Fire Emblem, I guess? Although getting Shadow Dragon for the DS on the VC would do just as well. There's not too many NES games I feel the VC is missing.
SNES: I'm going to leave aside the Square-Enix stuff for now and go with Fire Emblem IV, which is a game I've always wanted to play that I probably never will.
N64: Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon is my nostalgia pick. I'd also nominate Diddy Kong Racing just because if that game gets on the VC I think it'll probably be the awful DS version and that would be almost worse than not getting it at all.
GBA: Sorry Zero Mission fans, has to be Mother 3.
DS: So many games for this system have availability issues, so there are a lot of good answers. I guess I always wanted to try Spirit Tracks but balked at the idea of paying $40 for it.
Wii: Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn is an obvious pick here, that game goes for close to $100. Last Story would be good as well.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
That reminds me of what I forgot to put on my list: Parodius. I'd love to see the Parodius games on the SNES VC.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Doug Dinsdale posted:

They also come with a foldout map, a set of stickers in booklet style like the original game manual, and a fridge magnet in the shape of the GB cart.
I may have to buy these, especially since they're coming out on my birthday.

If anyone should have a box like that, it is you.

Someday your tombstone will read: "Doug Dinsdale liked shorts. They were comfy and easy to wear!"

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Got Kirby's Nightmare In Dreamland for the GBA on the VC. I'd played Kirby's Adventure back when it came out 22 years ago and wanted to experience it again without the NES-ness of the original and this was a great solution. Beat it in about 3 hours, but to be honest, I want that in a game these days.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

SeANMcBAY posted:

Supposedly they all have input lag. It's really minor though and SMW is the only game I've heard people complain about it.

I can't imagine minor input lag causing anyone problems in SMRPG, if it's there. Excepting, of course, if you're a crazy person who wants to do the jumping 100 times challenge, in which case any theoretical input lag is just an excuse for you not doing something that is nigh-impossible anyway.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's kind of astonishing in retrospect how full of trash the NES' library was.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
At least if the idea that the NX will be able to use the Wii U virtual console stuff has any basis, dumping all of this poo poo out will have some merit. The next console wouldn't have to deal with a slow-drip of NES garbage.

Part of me is curious about Earthbound Beginnings, just for completion's sake, but that one is $8 and that just...rubs me the wrong way.

If we're dumping the NES library on here, I'd appreciate it if Square Enix got off its rear end...not for the old Final Fantasies, but for the old Dragon Warrior Quests. I'd love to play Dragon Warrior III and now that the Android version has apparently been taken down before I could buy it and they never put the GBC version on the 3DS VC, I'm kind of low on legitimate ways to acquire that game.

It's been pointed out that if the GBC Dragon Warrior I-II and III were put on 3DS E-Shop the 3DS would soon be able to play Dragon Quests 1-11 natively, but the 3DS Virtual Console seems to be dead.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Quest For Glory II posted:

"should we give them zero mission?"
"what's that?"
"the metroid one"
"i don't know what that is. give them bayou billy"

Well, the good news is that they released all three trashy terrible zapper games at once rather than one per week. The better news is that basically any possible release is better than that week, so it's only up from here.

And yes, NOA likes to release games when other games in the series comes out, which is why I expect we'll get Star Fox 64 when Star Fox 0 comes out. (If it weren't for it's weird Super FX 2 chip I'd say Star Fox SNES as well) And yeah, probably Zero Mission when Federation Force comes out.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

ChaosArgate posted:

To clarify, N64 emulation that isn't officially sanctioned by Nintendo (such as PC emulators or homebrew ones) is generally terrible. N64 on VC is probably the closest you're going to get to the real thing and it generally works just fine, outside of some weird edge cases, such as some glitches that would cause buffer overflows in OoT for N64 being possible on VC because the Wii/Wii U has more memory.

I'm inclined to say input lag is more on the TV than the actual emulation, because I don't really get much when I'm playing on strictly the gamepad. If there is any, I hardly notice it when I do play on my actual display, but then again, I play on a PC monitor and not a TV, so that might help things in my case.

Is Sin and Punishment 64 supposed to be as dark as it is on VC? It's the only N64 game I have on VC and it's great (if ludicrously hard) but everything looks like it's illuminated by candlelight.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Shinjobi posted:

Some of these things I'd like in the next Kirby game. Miss combining powers like in 64. And the true final boss was freaky.

Speaking of Kirby, is Sneak Squad any good? I saw it on the VC and I've never checked it out before.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Tell me about Zack and Wiki. I know nothing about it other than that it is allegedly a good game.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

In Training posted:

I hope they put all of the GBA FF ports on the shop eventually since they're largely still the best way to play those games.

For V and VI, sure. I prefer the DS port of IV and you can't beat the PSP versions of I and II.

However, Squeenix will probably not want to cannibalize their mobile sales of V and VI by putting the GBA versions on the eShop for $8 when they're $16(!) on mobile.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I haven't heard of any of these, though I assume the DS game is garbage. Am I wrong?

Tell me about these GBA games.

It's cool of NOA to pick up the pace when they have filler games like these and just dump three out. Must mean they're confident they have enough solid releases for the rest of the year that they don't need to pad a week with just Big Brain Academy.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Rising Star Games announced they're bringing over Sadame, a Japanese top-down action-RPG; it'll be out in PAL-land on February 25 and NA "soon":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZtPdbCc37U

So...how awkward will the reviews of this be given that the title is only slightly off from a homonym for "sodomy?"

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Japan still has PCEngine (TG16) VC support on the Wii U???

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Willo567 posted:

Blame Konami for not supporting TG16 on Wii U in the West. Fuckers

Konami bought Hudson and promptly did absolutely nothing with it except make it harder to buy Hudson's old stuff. I blame them for a lot more than this, but I'll add it to the list.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

It's a version of the Wii with no wifi card or SD card ports or GameCube controller ports that only plays Wii disc games.

No one really knows why it was ever released in the North American market.

I saw one a few weeks ago at a used games warehouse-type store.

The used Nintendo Wii was $59.99, the used Nintendo Wii Mini was $69.99.

The Wii Mini is a Wii without Gamecube backwards compatibility or controllers and without Internet capabilities so it can't buy things off of the Wii eShop, and it's only marginally smaller.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

NA dudes, Sonic Lost World (Wii U) is $20 and Sonic Triple Trouble (3DS VC) is $3 until March 7.

Sega should give me 20 dollars to play Sonic Lost World. It's literally a net loss because it would take up space on my hard drive.

EDIT: Got Lost World and Boom mixed up, sorry Sega. Still not interested, though.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rexroom posted:

Is it a good thing I don't even know of it?

Does it help if you know it's an episodic game that only made it to episode 2?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiMi1fq79BE

If you don't mind the rear end in a top hat doing the commentary. If you do, just mute him. Three minute vid.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Medium Cool posted:

Wait a second. I played the poo poo out of R/B/Y when I was a kid and abused the hell out of the missingno glitch, but there is a real working mew glitch? I tried moving that drat truck because I Was an idiot but that poo poo never worked.

The Mew trick was discovered a full decade after Red and Blue came out. Don't worry, all the playground tricks were still lies.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
It makes me wonder if the WiiU or its successor will get the GBA and DS Pokemon on VC with similar bank access. All of the sudden the economy of what Pokemon are rare due to hardware limitations (can you even trade a 4th gen Pokemon out now that DS WiFi is dead?) would get turned on its head. It'd also stop the runaway inflation on some of them, Heart Gold and Soul Silver standing out particularly.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
LOL. At least they haven't given up on the SNES Virtual Console. I was afraid SNES VC was going to dry up completely.

It's not exactly a winner, but it is a noteworthy game. If preservation is at least a side purpose of the VC, this game definitely belongs on there.

It's...innovative, at least. Innovation doesn't always lead down roads worth going.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Looks like 9 SNES games are coming to N3DS VC.

Just beat Earthbound on WiiU, not going to play it again on the 3DS, but some people might appreciate portable Earthbound, and things like Super Metroid, Super Mario World, Link to the Past, and DKC 1+2. Also Pilotwings and FZero.

Um...I'm counting 8. Which one did I forget.

EDIT: Super Mario Kart was the one I forgot.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 3, 2016

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
New Kirby 3DS game.

I haven't yet played Triple Deluxe, but I want to. Is it good?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Dammit Japan.

We will never, ever get Fire Emblem 4 on the VC. :(

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

wocobob posted:

If I have only ten dollars to spare, and want to grab a good meaty 3DS RPG this month, which would be a better option: picking up Etrian Odyssey 4 while it's on sale, or waiting a couple weeks to pick up Earthbound when it releases? For the record, I'm into the start of the second stratum in EO1, and I've really enjoyed what I've played, but I also loved Mother 3. Obvious answer is "both," I know, but what's the recommendation?

I just finished playing Earthbound for the first time this past weekend (on the Wii U VC, mostly playing through the gamepad's screen rather than forcing poor Earthbound onto an HDTV). I'll talk a bit about my thoughts about it.

1. Earthbound is not a short game. Prepare for at least a 25 hour game. Earthbound at some points did begin to feel like it was wearing out its welcome.
2. Earthbound, while not insanely difficult, is not a pushover. Its unique combat style takes a bit of getting used to.
3. Even now, there are very few games like Earthbound, though obviously that's changing in the last year.
4. Earthbound's flaws (repetitive, confusing, occasionally dragging) are more than matched by the game's sheer charm and personality. Earthbound gets a massive bonus for me just by being so willing to just be itself.
5. While nothing compared to true old-school RPGs, the encounter rate is still on the high side, and even though it's Chrono Trigger style with the baddies on the overworld map, if they want to fight you, they're going to fight you.

Earthbound clearly took the SNES to its technical limits at certain points and you'll see things in Earthbound you wouldn't see in any other SNES game. The world feels truly alive and interconnected in a way that maybe only Chrono Trigger can match from that era.

The game left me satisfied but with minimal desire for more. I wish Nintendo had, instead of releasing Earthbound Beginnings as an NES game, released the GBA Mother 1 and 2 pack which allegedly updates Mother 1 and makes it vaguely playable. I've only heard horror stories about Earthbound Beginnings' sheer tedium and difficulty, but I'd love to experience it. Maybe it's time to look up a Let's Play, the usual solution for games I want to experience without actually playing.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think the Wii U controller is perfect for older low-res games. I recently played through both Minish Cap and EarthBound and I mostly played on the gamepad because they both looked like poo poo on an HDTV.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
It is so annoying that we will never, ever get to experience Fire Emblem 4 (or 5, I guess...or 3...or 2...or 6...but 4 is the one I care about) in a legal legitimate English release.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Those fuckers with their Turbografx 16 VC support. :sigh:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Looks like NA is getting Yoshi's Story for a VC title this week.

I guess they're holding Star Fox 64 to release alongside Zero?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm trying to come up with what's left for them to put on the N64 VC in NA.

Pilotwings 64
Wave Race
Star Fox 64
Majora's Mask
Super Smash Bros.

Isn't that it for First Party stuff? Even Mario Party I-III were developed by Hudson and produced by Nintendo, which would mean getting Konami's approval, right? (Konami could also put three Bomberman, two Castlevania, and two Goemon games out there, but Konami doesn't do videogames anymore, especially on WiiU).

Even if Nintendo's BFF Capcom got into N64 VC, what would there be? The Resident Evil N64 versions? Mega Man 64?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
True, I forgot Excitebike 64 existed.

I also forgot about the Pokemon games. My guess is that Snap is possible, but the Stadiums aren't and they'd be happy to forget Hey You Pikachu existed.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

codenameFANGIO posted:

It would be pretty sick if they did Stadium and made it so you could zap your dudes from Red and Blue 3ds VC but that sounds like a crazy amount of work they will not do.

Or the Game Boy Tower area.

Play a Wii U emulation of an N64 game emulating a 3DS emulation of a Game Boy game!

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

FanaticalMilk posted:

As far as N64 games go, there's still the greatest 64 game of all time: Mischief Makers.

An Enix title, therefore owned by SE, which hasn't been particularly fond of the Virtual Console (though the release of FFTA indicates that that may be changing...?).

Enix's games never get enough love. Outside of Dragon Quest, they never get any love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

less laughter posted:

Snap is already on the Wii VC.

Yeah, a lot of the games I mentioned earlier are on Wii VC (Super Smash Bros, Wave Race, Star Fox, and Majora's Mask).