Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

MassRayPer posted:

Ah. I simply went insane then, that's good to know.

It's possible you mistook Vector Racing for F-Zero which is a 3DS downloadable game. Though this seems like a longshot as the graphical styles are completely different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Ohtsam posted:

There is also the fact that they have access to the original assets and source code which I'm sure makes it far easier to do with good results.

Hopefully they've still got the source code. I don't know about Nintendo specifically but I know many Japanese developers are pretty bad about archiving their source code. This has created numerous problems for rereleases such as the Silent Hill HD collection, where Konami didn't have the source code for the released version of Silent Hill 2, only a beta created a couple months before release; and Sega who have completely lost the source code to the original House of the Dead (meaning there will never be a remake of it, unless it's remade from the ground up)

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Japan is getting a bunch of discounted Megaman games as part of Capcom's Megaman 25th anniversary celebrations; MM1-6 on 3DS VC (yes, Japan has all six of them already!) and MM9/10 on WiiWare will be 20% off until January 7.

No word on whether any of these discounts will be made available internationally, but Capcom-Unity said they'll be announcing some MM-related stuff later today, so here's hoping...

There was an interview with some Capcom USA guys, and they were asked if the Mega Man games were coming to the US 3DS Virtual Console and they gave a definitive "I can't talk about that now" response.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Nah, none of the NES Mega Man games are available on the US 3DS Virtual Console, and Mega Man 6 is still not available for the Wii Virtual Console. Though Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge for the Game Boy is available for the 3DS Virtual Console.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Classification verifies that they're at least planning to release it at some point, but I wouldn't put any guarantees on "soon".

I just remembered something... NA still doesn't have those Game Gear games that were supposed to come out in the "summer of 8-bit", does it?

Nah, Sonic Blast and Sonic Labyrinth have still been sitting at the back of the Virtual Console section since early Fall.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Have Nintendo announced when the Club Nintendo platinum/gold reward is up? I know it's usually in the middle of summer, but I wanna know to decide whether or not to just sit on some surveys.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

irlZaphod posted:

There was one for the DS I think.

2 for DS actually. One got released in America the other did not.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Meldonox posted:

Quite a few of them, yeah, and I believe the term was first coined in describing Symphony of the Night. The only inaccurate thing I see is that Harmony (if I remember correctly, but I played it more than eight years ago) was one of the few arcadey Castlevanias post-SotN. Heck, could well be that most of the Castlevanias by now are Metroidvanias.

(or those loving garbage faux-Castlevania 3D titles)

I think Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth was the only recent old-school Castlevania style game in recent years. And that was made by M2 anyways.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

noirstronaut posted:

do they make anime sex games without the children

Who would buy such a thing?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Fremry posted:

Goldeneye needs this treatment way before JFG.

Didn't EA already remake Goldeneye, or was that more of a reboot.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

SilverSupernova posted:

Bill did say in the Direct that they were trying to perfectly recreate the old games as everyone remembers them.
Removing the glitches seems counter-intuitive to that goal.

Considering Nintendo has done things like keep speedrunning glitches in the 3DS version of Ocarina, I would be kinda suprised if they took the glitches out of Pokemon. I don't know anything about programming but it seems like it'd be more work to fix these games rather than just put 'em up as is.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

I had a friend who texted me "nintendo is bringing the HEAT" as he watched the direct announce it and I had to loving laugh. these are ports of now-redundant games from a decade ago. Google "problem with gen 1" and you'll see that big graphic about how hilariously broken and poorly made the originals were.

Also Street Fighter GBA Revival is actually pretty good if only because it lets you activate an "easy mode" for special moves if the control pad is too wonky for you.

How much cognitive dissonance does it take to poo poo on a Pokémon re-release and then champion a completely unnecessary port of Super Turbo?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

Yeah, no. I'll wait for it to hit the US Wii U store. I got other games to play, anyway.

You might be waiting a long time as Square Enix has yet to release any of their games on the US Wii U store.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

the only good handheld castlevania is Aria of Sorrow

Can you explain this to me? Like I don't see enough of a fundamental difference between any of the Metroidy Castlevanias that would make me like one and not the others. Liking one more than the others, sure, but outright disliking all except one I don't get.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

I'm one of those people, but it's been so long since I've played either that I couldn't say exactly why. The art style change definitely put me off, but I also did't really like the game itself as much either. Maybe I was just getting tired of the formula since I 100%'ed Aria and immediately moved onto Dawn.

I see people in this forum talk a lot about playing entire series from start to finish and it always seems like a godawful idea that will result in you hating great games due to sheer burnout. I get tired of the objectively good formula of some games before a single game is even over. It seems like you're just setting yourself up for disappointment playing an entire series or genre of games back to back.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

In Training posted:

If a series is good I like playing them all

I liked playing lots of a series as well, but picking up a sequel immediately after playing its predecessor to death seems like an easy way to burn out.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

In Training posted:

What kind of maniac has multiple 3DS's and Wii U's to worry about outside of the situation where you need to transfer system information after an upgrade.

What if you own multiple homes or have multiple systems in different parts of your house.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Lazyhound posted:

Yeah, I was assuming Wii VC stuff would work on the GamePad but apparently not.

Yeah, the Wii U basically goes into "Wii Mode" where it thinks it's a Wii and that's how you access the Wii VC. Where your in the Wii mode it doesn't recognize the gamepad or any Wii U controllers, you need to have a Wiimote.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

SRM posted:

I can't imagine what Musou series diehards must look like. I've really enjoyed Hyrule Warriors, but it's my first Musou game since Dynasty Warriors 4.

I feel like even for people that love the Dynasty Warriors series, you'd have to skip every other one or something. There's no way you couldn't burnout on a series that has probably close to 50 full releases, and that doesn't even include offshoots like Bladestorm and Crimson Sea.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Plus handheld titles shouldn't count.
That's like saying "you'd have to skip every other age of empires or something" Just because there were lovely GBA ports of some of them.

C'mon dude there's 4 AOE games, if you include Age of Mythology. Let's count the number of full musou-style games that Omega Force has developed:

Dynasty Warriors 1-8
Dynasty Warriors Empires 4-8
Samurai Warriors 1 through 4-II
Samurai Warriors Empires 2-4
Warriors Orochi 1-3
Dynasty Warriors Gundam 1-3 & Reborn
Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce
One Piece Pirate Warriors 1-3
Fist of the North Star 1 & 2
Dragon Quest Heroes 1 & 2
Arslan: Warriors of Legend

36 games!!! That's a poo poo ton of games and content, and that doesn't even include other offshoots/similar series like Bladestorm, Crimson Sea, Kessen, Dynasty Tactics, Legend of Troy, etc.

Yeah, if you only count the mainline Dynasty Warriors games that's only 8, but, correct me if I'm wrong, most people consider all the musou games to be housed under one umbrella.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Turbinosamente posted:

Anyone into the River City Ransom remake that got announced in Japan? I think it got brought up in the other 3ds thread but not here. I'm leaning more towards just getting the NES port over holding out hope for a western release.

Arc System Works has said they plan on bringing more of the Kunio-Kun series to the West now that they own all the rights to the entire series. They already put out River City Super Sports Challenge (kind of a Crash n the Boys update) out on PS3 and PC in the fall of last year.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Dr Cheeto posted:

A Snap game would really benefit from the motion controls, but I don't think VC can use those?

No but you could use the Gamepad as a gyroscopic camera, which would be awesome. Of course this also falls under the "Cool but too much effort for a VC game" category.

As far as N64 games go, there's still the greatest 64 game of all time: Mischief Makers.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Patter Song posted:

An Enix title, therefore owned by SE, which hasn't been particularly fond of the Virtual Console (though the release of FFTA indicates that that may be changing...?).

Enix's games never get enough love. Outside of Dragon Quest, they never get any love.

I agree it's not likely, but it's still the one I want the most. Speaking of Enix games, I'd also like E.V.O.: Search for Eden to show up on the VC as well.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Nintendo put out several Art Style games or WiiWare that are mostly pretty neat; some are remakes of Japan-only GBA games, some are original. I thought for sure they'd continue that series for 3DS/Wii U but they never did...

There's an original Blaster Master game for WiiWare, and the Trails devs made a game called MotoHeroz that's like Trials mixed with Mario Kart that I don't think was ported to many other platforms.

About Bomberman Blast: if you're playing on a Wii you can do 8-player local multiplayer with 4 Wii controllers and 4 GC controllers.

I'm assuming the Gamecube adapter would not get this to work on a Wii U.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Nope, the GC adapter only works for Smash and Nintendo explicitly keeps other devs from doing anything with it.

God bless 'em.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Stink Terios posted:

What the gently caress?

You're not even gonna show me my keys. Are you serious. I hope I can VPN this bullshit away or something.

You could try contacting them.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Ineffiable posted:

If by any chance does someone have a spare rhythm thief code? I already got mine from the bundle but would like to offer one to a friend (who doesn't want to pay for the bta).

If your buddy can't afford to throw 15 bucks at some games what the gently caress is he doing wasting his time begging for codes for. Tell him to get off his rear end and get a GODDAMN JOB or stop being a loving cheapskate.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

AnxiousApatosaurus posted:

Word, thanks goons. Looks like I'll start with Adventure, Super Star, and, if I dig those two, Triple Deluxe.

Another good start would be Nightmare in Dreamland which is a GBA remake of the original Kirby's Adventure.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

If Nintendo trickles out VC releases at the same pace for NX I won't be mad, I'll just be disappointed.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Ineffiable posted:

Probably not gonna happen but what about Hey You Pikachu!

Didn't that have a microphone peripheral. I think that would put it in the same camp as Pokémon Stadium, i.e. way too much work for very little payoff.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

SylvainMustach posted:

I completely forgot about that. Haven't got it yet but I will eventually. And while I dont doubt that it's great it seems really weird that it has such a tiny roster.

From the perspective of a Pokemon game it doesn't, but from the perspective of a brand new fighting game, it makes sense. Also, they are slowly releasing more characters in the arcade version and not all of those have made their way to the console version. Typically, a fighting game finishes it's updates with the arcade version and then comes to console, but in this case it came to console while the arcade version was still getting it's own updates.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

nerdman42 posted:

Already got it, gonna go ahead add support for that to anyone looking for a good puzzle game

Have you played all of the "-Mo" games like pushmo and crashmo. Those are all pretty dope. Also, I knows there's a bunch of Picross games for the 3DS, though I don't know which ones are better than others. Also, not quite a puzzle game but Donkey Kong '94 for the Game Boy is a great platformer with some puzzle elements. For the GBC, there's the original Toki Tori as well as Pokemon Puzzle Challenge, and if you're really desperate there's always the Game Gear versions of Columns and Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (aka Puyo Puyo with a Sonic reskin).

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

What does Namco Museum include? I want to walk around a virtual museum.

The Switch one includes Pac Man Vs. which I believe is the first time it's been available outside of the Gamecube version and the arcade game.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

I believe that was also on a DS compilation too.

I just looked it up and it uses single cart multiplayer. That's fantastic!

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

zenintrude posted:

*requires you to have friends. Friends with Switches.

I was speaking about the version on the DS Namco Museum. The multi on the Switch version looks stupid in terms of requirements.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

DLC Inc posted:

if you're looking for pre-release reviews for a Bethesda game....lol

They don't let people review poo poo in advance unless it's a new Fallout or something

They stopped doing it with Fallout too.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

Yeah, I'm an American posting in a consoles thread. I don't give a flying gently caress about Konami's arcade games or health clubs. I'm of the opinion that they touchdown spiked everybody at Konami who makes games I actually care about into the garbage can, and so far they're living up to that assessment via Bomberman.

They're too busy putting out Hudson's Turbografx-16 games on the Wii U virtual console to really focus on anything else right now.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Spellman posted:

It's kind of lame, but I'm always looking for a decent Breakout game, but it hardly ever happens. Arkanoid DX came out on WiiWare, and there was this wicked DSiWare one that was an sprawling RPG with tons of buyable upgrades for your paddle (ship) , and evidently isn't being sold anymore because the went out of business

Are you thinking of Wizorb cause that got ported to everything under the sun.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Who the gently caress wants to play cross-platform with pc nerds competitively anyways? Mouse and keyboard is going to win every time.

The same people who play PUBG and Fortnite on their phone against PC players. They're not playing it because it's the best possible experience, they're playing because they have fun playing the game no matter what form it takes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

I’ve never played Okami. Should I get it if I love Zelda and also fluffy doggos? I remember hearing people compare it to Twilight Princess.

It's my favorite Zelda game not made by Nintendo. It's a joy to play, and one of the few games I've played to completion more than once.