Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

LightningKimba posted:

That the odd part - They put on the shop the generic icon until like weeks after, they update it to have the NES splash that Super Mario Bros has as an example. It took quite a while for Donkey Kong Jr. to get a proper splash, so it's really a Nintendo thing why some VC games don't get a proper splash when they're finally available to the public.

Its not just missing the usual icon, its also without Save States.

I'm especially pissed that they didn't release the update since deleting and re-downloading it also wiped my End of Game save.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

NCL sent out a new Nintendo Direct Mini vid in regards to the next (last?) batch of NSMB2 DLC maps - these ones look to be based on levels from classic SMB games:

EDIT: free until December 1January 31!

Those were some fun levels right there, like how they merged 1-1 and 1-2 from SMB into the first stage, loved the little secrets in the SMB 3 stage, Though found it wierd that the castle had a warp pipe to NSMB2 1-1 filled with gold coin blocks. Would've liked seeing a different retro stage honestly.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Mercury Crusader posted:

I still think it's weird that the 3DS Virtual Console has NES games on there. I figured they'd be all-portable, but whatever. Wanna see Neo Geo Pocket Color games show up on there down the road, but considering how slow/unwilling third parties are to put anything on the 3DS VC, :shrug:

They probably picked NES because they didn't want to give ambassadors 20 GBA games. That or they just didn't have any better thing to drop on there.

Though I will say, Punch-Out on the 3DS is loving impossible to beat because Mr. Dream's tell is too hard to see on the tiny screen, it might be better on the 3DS XL but I'm not buying one of those so its a moot point.

Would LOVE to see more Game Gear games here in the US, but they don't seem to want to release them anymore.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE

Pac Man (NES) - $4.99

They do know they have the Gameboy version of Pac-Man on the VC already as well, right? For Cheaper? And that there's an arcade port of it on a rather cheap compilation cart on the 3DS that has Galaga too?

Seriously Nintendo, what a loving waste of a week. Could've released anything and you released something that's already on the drat service.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Pac Man is a Namco game.

Yeah, but doesn't Nintendo control what they put on the store?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Sure, but what does Nintendo care if some other publisher wants to pay them to undercut its own releases? They'll probably end up releasing NES Xevious, too.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did.
Its a game of money, after all.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

The only thing that Family Party game has going for it is the Miiverse community, like Funky Barn its loving hysterical.

Anyway, weren't we supposed to get WL2 in the US by now or is that two weeks from now?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

It's either WL2 on the 20th and SMB: Lost Levels on the 27th, or vice versa, I forget.

Then again, NOA said you were getting Ninja Gaiden on the 15th of last month, yet here we are.

Well, I think they did the same thing with Block Ball, took them two months to finally get it out.

So I'm expecting Ninja Gaiden on the second thursday of January.

Also, we're getting SMB2 JP for the 3DS as well? I'd consider it if I didn't already own three copies of that. I'll probably end up buying it anyway, another game on the go can't be all that bad.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Joramun posted:

Hysterical in what way? You've made me curious to check it out.

If you've ever seen Funky Barn's community, Family Party has the same deal going on, either people making fun of the bear on the icon, references to shovels, or in the rare case, awesome drawings like the above.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Capcom announced that MM1-6 are coming to the NA 3DS eShop - MM1 will be out on the 27th, MM2 on February 7, the rest "at regular intervals" ie not all at once and no quicker than the average VC release. No introductory / anniversary sale or any of that crap. Joy.

I wouldn't be surprised if MM2 is the only game they release in February. What a loving waste, I would be happier if they just gave us three at a time, that way I could get MM3 right away, that's my favorite one.

I wouldn't be surprised if MM6 doesn't come out until mid-2014 or never at all, since we still don't have it on the Wii Shop either. Though, that one was pretty mediocre, I wouldn't really miss it.

Anyway, on the topic of 3D classics, you want "Shallow" 3D? Kid Icarus. The 3D may as well not even be there.

EDIT: my mistake, the backdrops have multiple layers. Still, they don't really mesh well at all with the 8-bit graphics. Might be because they look 16-bit, and really colorful.

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Dec 17, 2012

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Sega Japan posted a bunch of info on Space Harrier 3D (click), here are the details:

-Choose between original resolution, 4:3, full-screen and "cabinet mode"
-Supports circle pad, d-pad and touchscreen for movement; options to invert y-axis, set rapid-fire and change "range of movement" (not sure what this is... bounding box, maybe?)
-Basic dip-switch settings; difficulty, lives, extend numbers, etc
-Stage select that lets you begin from previously completed stages
-Some sort of time attack mode?
-Supports savestates (only one, I think)
-Replay saving/playback
-"Cabinet mode" emulates the feeling of the original arcade cabinet by tilting the screen to match your movement and playing the outside-the-game sfx
-Sound test includes an equaliser function that lets you adjust individual sound channels (!)

tldr: this is how all the 3D Classics should have been handled. Comes out in Japan on the 26th for 600yen, and we know they're working on more of 'em, too.

Well, Sega goes above and beyond with this stuff.
Look at the Game Gear VC for example:
-Ability to change resolution on the fly without having to hold a button down when booting the game up.
-Motion Blur option.
-Multiple different colors for the "Game Gear" shell in Dot by Dot mode.
-Option for "Original Performance" or "Special Performance", I think this means if poo poo flickers or not.
-All the features Nintendo VC games have.

Why can't Nintendo use Sega's program? its better.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Wario Land 2 is great fun, this is my first time playing it.

Personally, I played Wario Land 3 a whole lot when I was younger, so I hope that comes out within the next 6 months or so.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Katana Gomai posted:

I was never into the Wario games as a kid and working through my backlog I played 4 first and loved it. I played 2 afterwards and quit it two hours in because it was such a huge step backwards.

That's really a shame.

Things like this are why I try my best to not play sequels before the first game in a series.

If you ever do get a chance, go back to the earlier Wario Land games and give them a try.

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 22, 2012

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Playing them in order is actually pretty interesting because I can see how they're adding improvements each time.

Like in the first game, Wario's movement was really clunky and awkward to control and the throwing enemies mechanic was very bare bones. Even the powerup system was essentially just based off Mario games. In general it played very much like a Mario game with a bit more of an emphasis on exploration and secrets.

In Wario Land 2, his movement is still equally clunky but they've changed up a bunch of other things. He's now gained his signature ability to charge up throws a bit in any direction. They also got rid of the Mario style powerups in favor of various enemy based ones that can be either obstacles or necessary to find secrets, which sticks around and gets more fleshed out in later games. On the other hand, they made treasure hunting more annoying by having the treasure and painting pieces blocked by annoying minigames which feel tacked on and unnecessary. I also really dislike the way they chose to handle bosses. Since Wario doesn't have health, each boss has an attack that removes you from the boss arena and forces you to trek back through part of the level and start the fight over. This was particularly annoying on the 'final' boss, where you have to go through a fairly significant portion of the level. I finally got fed up and just started using save states. I think they should've found a better solution than a bunch of one hit moves.

I'm interested to see what more changes 3 makes when I get to play it again.

3 is pretty much a beefed up 2, the bosses still knock you out of their arena as opposed to hurting you Except for the Final Boss, which is also the only way to get a Game Over, however unlike 2 where you are as strong as you'll ever be right from the start, WL3 decides to strip you down to being able to do the weakest possible charge attack, giving yourself the ability to throw enemies, swim, a stronger charge attack and the ground pound later on. Its also more focused on back-tracking to older levels to get more treasure, of which there are 4 in each level (Collection of a treasure also ends the level), some of which are just for show, others give you a means to progress forward. I'd say its like Metroid if it was Level-based and Samus was a greedy gently caress who couldn't die. That being said, other than the annoying at times bosses, the game does like to gently caress you over with the status inflictions sometimes, and has a habit of foregoing puzzles (Since 3 is a Puzzle platformer, for the most part.) for a moderately annoying Golf Mini-game where you have to knock Kiiby into a whole under par, fail and you have to try again at the loss of 10 coins. Speaking of coins, those take a backseat in this game, they only come out of blocks and enemies, and are not lying about in the open. There's also a Day/Night system, certain treasures can only be obtained in one time of day, the enemies are different too, you'll see Zombies at night, for example, and the Donut chef in the day.

Its by far a different beast than the rest of the series, but its by no means bad.

I would love them to make a Virtual Boy Virtual Console just so we could see an official re-release of VB Wario Land. I don't even care if it doesn't have 3D.

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 22, 2012

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Well regardless of which Wario game anyone thinks is the best, I think there's one thing we can all agree on: Master of Disguise was a horrible abomination that no one should ever play.

I played that once at a Gamestop demo kiosk. Well, by played I mean "Ran around the same circle of rooms a while", the game was almost unplayable

Either somebody had intentionally hosed up the touch screen calibration or something, because the little puzzles were undoable, they would go fine for a small bit, then WHAM I would fail because it suddenly jerked up for whatever reason.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

The Club Nintendo Games of the Month:

Tetris (3DS) - 150 Coins
Snowpack Park (Wii) - 150 Coins (This one's been up before I believe)
Punch-Out (3DS) - 200 Coins
Mario Kart 64 (Wii) - 200 Coins

Pretty good, this is a great chance for people to pick up MK64 if they don't have it already.

Though I would probably avoid getting Punch-Out on the 3DS unless you have an XL.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The Gold Nunchuck is back once again on Club Nintendo. Grab one ASAP if you weren't able to before the new year!

EDIT: https://club.nintendo.com/rewards-details/a/29508.do

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it vanished again before the week ends.

In which case they'll keep it retired for another 4 months or so before bringing them out again.

I would get one personally, but I don't have a gold Wiimote to go with it so the coins would be wasted and I'm not keen on selling things off.

That, and I'm 350 coins short. I should just save up for G&W Collection 2 since that's the last cool thing I want.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

So, how about that Wii U?

I don't remember the Wii Shop Channel getting neglected so much after launch.

I wonder why the Wii U's eShop has pretty much been a stagnant mess. Would love for them to start rolling out the GCN Virtual Console, but somehow I don't think that'll be happening for a while.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Oh boy, it looks like we're getting some 3DS shovelware this week.

Its weeks like these where a VC release would be smart for NoA. If they don't want sales of good 3DS Downloadables to be stolen away by the oldies, then they need to put the oldies on weeks where they aren't putting out stuff people will actually buy (i.e. Put VC games out during weeks where the most you can throw out is garbage or almost nothing, and not on weeks where Pushmo-tier stuff is.)

But then again, smart online decisions don't really seem to be understood by NoA, if they want money they simply need to put things out that people want to buy.

Then again, I could be totally wrong, maybe there's a huge market for more Fishing and Hunting games and "Pet Simulators" (At least, that's what I'm gathering from '101 DinoPets 3D').

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

limaCAT posted:

You call it garbage, I too call it garbage, Nintendo instead calls it "software from our valued partners that must be justly given the spotlight like other releases".

Well these are the same people who thought it best to shun the VC in favor of a loving Sudoku game almost a year ago.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

So it shows that Japan has (Mostly) good taste in VC Games (And what games they have that we don't yet, like KDL2).

Still, Rockman 6 is on the list, but not 4? 3 is lower than 2? What bullshit, that's only further cementing that stupid notion that "All the new megamans should be like 2 because that was the best."

Anyway, I sort of like how the list of newer games is pretty good save for those "Simple Series" entries, aren't those the Japanese equivalent of Shovelware?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Other than "So cheap its almost free" Balloon Fight on the Wii U, not much interesting this week.

I guess Super C but I haven't played Contra so that doesn't really matter to me.

I do love that the VC games are in the correct Aspect Ratio though, no more stretching to fill the screen.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Waffleopolis posted:

New Club Nintendo games are up, and it's good!

Paper Mario for Wii for 200 coins
Birds and Beans for 3DS for 100 coins
Kirby Superstar for Wii for 150 coins

I might pick up Kirby Superstar. :)

Cool, now I can get a copy of Paper Mario I don't have to plug my N64 in for.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Regarding the FE:A DLC, weak Nintendo, that DLC was technically already released last week.

Hopefully next week we'll get two maps again like last week. I know I'm not the only one looking forward to Lost Bloodlines 2.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

PAL update (week of March 14):

No Megaman 3. You lied, Capcom.

I believe they meant the US when they annouced they were going to release a Megaman game once a month.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

So I can't get on the eShop.

Yeah apparently my US Wii U tried downloading a Japanese Voucher for DQX Using Wii Points in a Japanese vWii Shop Channel and because of that I'm getting error 105-3102.

Support is no help at all, no explanation as to why its happening or what I can do, just to call them.

Guess I'm not getting Punch-Out.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

So, I dunno, call them?

I did call them, no solution yet but they'll let me know via email.

Hopefully it doesn't take too long, I know I have 28 days left to get Punch-Out but I don't know how long it'll take for them to iron out this bug.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

Well good luck! It's a really good game you're after.

Yeah, I've played it a few times before, once on actual hardware, a few times on Animal Crossing, and I bought it on my 3DS too.

Never beaten it, but I'll probably either do it or get really close with the Wii U version.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Stink Terios posted:

Man, that's a pretty ok price! I wonder how much it consts in the BR eShop!
Answer: R$149.99 -> ~$75.00

What IS this bullshit regional pricing Nintendo? Explain this to me!

Also, I fiddled with the regional settings in my 3DS and I now have access to the US eShop with US prices. There is a catch to this, isn't there? There is no way it's so simple to avoid overpaying for games, right? :psyduck:

Last I checked, no catch. I hear people from Australia do the same thing but with the European eShop for the same reason.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

That 3DS system update seems to be giving a not-insignificant subset of people trouble leading to an error code and the loss of ability to access both the eShop itself and System Settings. Beware.

gently caress, now both my Wii U and 3DS have lost eShop connectivity.

Great going Nintendo.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

NA dudes, your new Club Nintendo digital rewards are up:

Super Mario 64 (Wii VC) - 200 Coins
Super Metroid (Wii VC) - 150 Coins
Kirby's Pinball Land (3DS VC) - 150 Stars
3D Classics Urban Champion (3DS eShop) - 150 Stars

Remember, Super Metroid is going to be the Wii U VC Trial game in a month or two, so if you own a Wii U you're better off just waiting for the Wii U version and then buying it for 30c.

Under no circumstances should anyone download Urban Champion.

Looks like you started using Stars halfway through the list.

Anyway, how many times has Urban Champion been put up now? 6 Times or something? Its getting old.

And Kirby's Pinball Land, if you like Pinball consider it, but otherwise don't unless you absolutely need to own every Kirby game. Its an alright game but its certainly something you should try out before buying it.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Mercury Crusader posted:

I've had Super Metroid on the Wii VC since it was first available, as well as Super Mario 64, so I guess my coins will continue to not be used. I hope they release some other ridiculously overpriced reward in the near future, because I already have the two Game & Watch DS games and the Ball reproduction.

I've got cartridges of both so I don't really feel compelled to be rebuying either (Except for Metroid when it comes out on the Wii U VC.)

I love G&W Ball, its just a neat thing to have honestly.

absolutely anything posted:

Also, despite having "Kirby" in the title, Kirby's Pinball Land is stupidly loving hard. I've had that game for as long as I can remember and I'll probably never beat it.

Oh, it really is. I've had issues getting back to higher tables when falling to the lower ones. Had to use Restore points almost constantly just to see the ending.

Turns out there wasn't an ending after DeDeDe and it just throws you back to the beginning with all the tables reset.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Mercury Crusader posted:

I've got cartridges of both as well, but I bought them on Wii VC anyways. Because I am dumb as hell. (I am also going to buy Super Metriod for thirty cents I have no shame)

The only version of Kirby's Adventure I don't own at the moment is the original NES Cart. But that's because I never owned an NES. So I get where you're coming from.

Also regarding the G&W Ball, does anybody know how long that battery is going to last?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

The next Fire Emblem DLC, which is also the first of Series 2, is also out.

-Death's Embrace (Est, Difficulty *****) - $3.00
-Challenge Pack (Includes Est, Catria and Palla, all maps ***** Difficulty) - $6.50

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Heads up for PAL 3DS Ambassadors - Nintendo has finally updated the remaining NES Ambassador games, but you can't download the updates the usual way... you have to boot the eShop, go into the settings menu, pick "Titles You've Downloaded", scroll through the list and manually update each title.

I don't know why you don't get a prompt upon booting the eShop like you would with other updates, or why they don't show up when you hit "Available Updates" or whatever it's called, but the updates are definitely there.

How many were there left for PAL? I know the US just has Balloon Fight left to update.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

So my Wii U is finished with repairs and will be back tomorrow.

Just in time for me to get Punch-Out before it goes away.

Nintendo Delivers.

e: Turns out they just gave me a new console with my settings and such ported over.

But they listened to an email I sent them and gave me Punch-Out. Thanks Nintendo!

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 16, 2013

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Yo NA, here are your Wii U VC launch titles:

NES:

Punch-Out!!
Balloon Fight
Kirby's Adventure
DK JR
Ice climber
Excitebike

SNES:

Super Mario World
F-ZERO

8 Games?
Real promising start, Nintendo.
I give them credit for not holding back the releases of the games that have been released already, but only because that is common sense and NoA seems to have none of that when it comes to the trickling iceberg of VC releases.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

...and here's the JP launch lineup:

and Rockman 3, Solomon's Key, Kirby Super Star, Super Metroid, Yoshi and Donkey Kong are all scheduled for the coming weeks.

Wait, Rockman 3? What good will it do to skip 1 and 2?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

I have SMW on my phone too, but that doesn't mean I won't drop a measly $8 to have it on my Wii U.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Laser Spider posted:

Balloon Fight had better come to the NA Virtual Console. Now that was a fun game right there.

It should, eventually.

Its the last Ambassador game in the US that hasn't been updated so it can't be that far off.