Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Supercar Gautier posted:

That actually makes it more weird. They're not supposed to be sexy, but they're sexualized anyway. Why can't they just be regular cute cartoon girls instead of cute T&A cartoon girls? Their games play and look great otherwise, but this is a consistent creepy thing Wayforward does.
I do wish that Wayforward would try experimenting with characters of varying body shapes and heights and such, if only because the villain characters from Switch Force all just kind of looked like the same person with different haircuts. It doesn't get in the way of enjoying the game, but why doesn't anyone ever wanna have some fun with the design and have some actual contrast?

I hope there's a little more gravy with the game, though. The original was bare bones from a presentation and even content standpoint. It was fun, but it felt rushed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I still bet the VC update is June so they can announce it at E3.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Everyone knew a year old port of Arkham Asylum was coming to Wii U too but they still spent 20 minutes of their E3 keynote talking about it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Tetris Axis is up - $9.99, not bad.
That's about what it's going for in stores so that's good. Still a shame that Tetris Party's no more.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Astro7x posted:

Because I can't buy Super Mario World for $1 on my smart phone? Comparing SMW to a $1 smart phone game is like comparing a $1500 Macbook Air to a lovely $300 Dell laptop. Yes, they are both computers, but one clearly has better quality than the other.
Wouldn't it be more like comparing a lovely $300 Dell laptop to an Apple IIgs?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

In a year from now you will be begging for weekly releases as good as this one, let me assure you.
In a year from now we'll probably be begging for any releases at all.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I seriously can't believe they're sticking to just putting out 2 VC games a week. At this rate it'll take them four years to catch up with the Wii Virtual Console. Four. Years.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I can't wait for the Wii U Virtual Console to catch up to the Wii Virtual Console in 2018

After the next Nintendo system has already been released

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

But it's important that the Wii U get those GBA games instead.

In 2020, the year Sealab comes true.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

A minor Wii U firmware update has gone live, here's the changelog:

Also...
Oh yeah I forgot summer was in October, pretty cool guys.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Zip posted:

Wait what? Mario golf is awesome. Why would you give such bad advice?
I don't think you read their post correctly.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mercury Crusader posted:

The slow releases for the VC is lovely, but Nintendo only has so many games they can put up there before they run out and have to rely on third-parties for the rest of the games. Look at the 3DS VC: most of Nintendo's original Game Boy games are already on the system, with the only ones remaining being the Donkey Kong Land games, the early Pokemon games, Wave Race, and Play Action Football. I figure they think it's better to drip feed the poo poo rather than throw them all out at once and then people complain there aren't any games being released at all after the fact.
Yeah but in addition to not releasing Gameboy Advance titles they also have not released Nintendo 64 titles. Or many Super Nintendo titles. And were Gamecube games ever coming? They could be going way faster even if they only can put up their own titles.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Minis on the Move is not even like the other Mario vs DK games. It's more like Pipe Dreams. The game has 4 different modes, each with a ton of levels, as well as minigames you can unlock as well.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Well, the rewards were good for one month at least.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Who is in control of deciding what/when VC games get released because I want to write a bunch of angry emails asking what the gently caress the holdup is and why I can't literally throw cash at them to download a dozen games from a decade ago.
They think more people will buy each game if they're released in a trickle, even though they've literally never tried any other strategy to see if it would do better.

Like someone who does a taste test, tries one of the 3 samples, and then says "TEST OVER, THIS ONE WINS."

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

There's no reason why the entire Wii VC isn't on Wii U VC, they're just doing it this way because they don't want to do it any other way.

I still think they'd make more money if they opened the floodgates and charged a flat fee to access the entire library ie Playstation Plus.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It's not like they can just copy/paste the Wii VC games to the WiiU, they have to add in gamepad support and all that poo poo. I have no idea how hard that is but to get a ton of games out a week I suspect they'd need a team working on just that all day to keep up. Not that I like how slow this is, but releasing the whole Wii VC lineup would take a long time regardless.
Step 1 - Take NES emulator
Step 2 - Replace NES rom with other NES rom

Wow I'm already exhausted just typing it. Whew!!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

AngryCaterpillar posted:

There's no one emulator for each console; each game has to be optimised individually.
Yeah I've heard this urban legend before but no one ever links to proof that it's true. A google search just brings up other forum threads where people spout the same urban legend without a source.

The emulation in these games is never perfect anyway. The Neo Geo emulator on Wii was awful awful awful. If that was "optimized" for each game then they did a loving awful job of it. Unless someone from Nintendo is gonna break it down like a technical manual, my opinion on the matter is that "optimization" means "replace ROM with other ROM; does it work? done." If we were talking about low-level Nintendo 64 emulation, okay, but N64 emulation is not even on Wii U. These are mostly first-party NES and SNES games that could be emulated on computers since the mid 90s in emulators made by total hobbyists doing it in their spare time, not even as a job. You can't say that Nintendo's focus is on accuracy, because the emulators on Wii would prove that it's not.

This is solely an intentional business decision to manufacture a sense of supply and demand.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 12, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

"Homebrew" dudes know how to extract the data from each individual emulator wrapper and insert in any ROM they like, so by dicking around with ROM extraction/insertion they've been able to identify the differences between each emulator. There's nothing to dispute here.
Do you have a link to this? I've googled and found nothing.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Well, with the Super Nintendo, some carts had special chips and even hobbyist emulators needed to incorporate support for those chips. Mega Man X3 was one of those games. But that wasn't the case for the average SNES game. Most developers didn't need to break the limitations of the hardware, like the SuperFX chip did. It's really more of a special case scenario for a small selection of games. Once SNES emulation got going in the 90s with VSMC, a huge percentage of games worked right from the start (although issues with transparencies caused some games like Chrono Trigger to be a little wonky, but this was the era of 486 DX computers). It was worlds away from the early days of STARCADE and multi-pacman emulators when each game addition was a big deal. GUYS, WE FIGURED OUT TEMPEST. WE FIGURED OUT TEMPEST!!! And this was the early days when barely anyone knew what they were really doing (including Nintendo, who constantly tried to shut emulation websites down).

N64 is the one situation where I'll agree with you that it needs optimization, because that's just how it is with N64 emulation in general. If you look at the Wii VC selection of N64 games, it's really small and doesn't even cover the entire first party library. But of course, N64 is not even on Wii U. I suspect that NES/SNES is not LLE and that's why they're the first and only systems supported at the moment, while N64 remains announced and MIA along with the Game Boy Advance, so it's possible that N64 is low level, which is a larger undertaking from what I understand.

But with NES/SNES emulation.. if the emulators are worth their salt at all, they've already got most of both libraries supported. I mean this is a situation today in which you can go to a mall, buy a cheap rear end chinese-made doppleganger NES, it'll sound weird and dinky but it will still support 90% of your home library. Just not Castlevania 3.

If Nintendo's got QA positions then seeing what works and what doesn't seems like a simple task to delegate. If a game has significant glitches in the emulator then it can just be put on the Work In Progress pile while the ones that make it to the end of the conveyor belt can go up.

But my premise continues to be that Nintendo staggers releases as an intentional business tactic.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 13, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm not saying that if an emulator doesn't have a high rate of compatibility that it's terrible (although a lot of people would), but if a Nintendo-made emulator doesn't, it would be below-standard for a professional effort. These guys are the people who SHOULD know the ins and outs of the hardware, because they built it. Some dude in a basement can figure it out faster than they can? In an era where computers struggled to run Fury3? I don't buy it.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 13, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Two Tribes said NOA doesn't currently allow for the sort of discounts they're offering in PAL-land, but that they plan to do a bigger traditional sale at some point.
I hope the Trine devs were telling the truth about devs being given full control over pricing their game and sale prices and all that. It kinda defeats the point if Nintendo can step in the way and say "no you can't do that".

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 19, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

NA Club Nintendo posted the top 10 fan favourites of the year for both systems; you can probably guess most of 'em, but there are a couple surprises there:

http://club2.nintendo.com/fanfaves/
I hope Capcom USA notices the revived interest in Ace Attorney and doesn't abandon it again.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Minidust posted:

What time today does Dr. Luigi come out?
I just checked the eShop 5 minutes ago and it wasn't up yet.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

NA's getting LTTP and Ninja Gaiden this week, among other things.
One's for U and the other's for 3DS I'm assuming?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

katkillad2 posted:

gently caress you Nintendo for making more games available on the Wii U :argh:.
Haha you think they'll actually be made available. That's beautiful.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

If they were ACTUALLY going to make more games available on Wii U, I would be ecstatic about it. But until there's an actual date and a promise of frequent releases, there's no point in getting excited about it. Will it come before the N64 and GBA games they promised? Will it wait until after? How about the TG-16 and MSX support Wii U has in Japan but not America?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dunban posted:

I'm guessing the DS Virtual Console on Wii U launches today.
If it launches with Tetris DS I'm okay with this because that's the best Tetris.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Spacebump posted:

There is a chance someone could buy it twice, but I won't. If anything this only prevents me from buying more VC games. If either the prices were a little less or they let me play on 3DS and Wii U with one purchase, I'd buy a lot more VC games than I have.
And their competitor has this feature with Vita, so it's not like Nintendo has a position of monopoly to just dismiss it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

If they do launch a new console for Virtual Console, I hope they actually try to release a game for each console each week? Instead of one game total a week, IF AT ALL, like they've been doing so far.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

PAL update (week of March 6):

NA update (week of March 6):
What are the odds that Super Mario 3 on VC is Nintendo's big E3 announcement?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Was Inti Creates not content with just the one Megaman knockoff? Oh well I'm sure it will be pretty good, Inti Creates is solid.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

There's no way there's online play, they even disabled the local 2 player components of gameboy games on 3DS rather than letting you link up with another 3DS.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's probably the NES games that have Download Play. Their NES emulator has been around for so long at this point that it probably has the most features under the hood (from whoever's emulator code they initially assimilated, anyway).

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

GB games are 3-4 USD, GBC games are 4-5, I'm assuming GBA games will be 7-8, on par with SNES. NDS will probably surpass N64 as most expensive system in the VC catalog.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Japan's also doing a "buy one, get 30% off a second game" GBA VC launch sale, incidentally. Standard price is 702yen, I guess that's before tax?
Sounds like I was on the mark then. 7-8 USD, maybe $9 for Minish Cap because the Zelda games have a dollar premium on them in the 3DS eShop for whatever reason. Now I wonder what the DS price point will be. $12-15 maybe?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nintendo doesn't care about emulation accuracy though. It's not like the original Wii is powerful enough to handle a 100% accurate N64 emulator. It has hacks and tweaks like any other N64 emulator.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 26, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

AngryCaterpillar posted:

With what Iwata has said about the Nintendo Network being used on future Nintendo systems, and the next console and handheld having a unified ecosystem, there's a pretty strong assurance that purchasing these GBA titles on Wii U will mean they can be redeemed on the next handheld anyway.
They can't be redeemed on other Wii U consoles so I don't know why you assume that. You can't even cross-buy games that are on both Wii U and 3DS. Gotta buy both versions at full price.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Nintendo will not release an emulation that is anything less than 100% accurate. That's why it takes forever for poo poo to come out. They don't build one emulator and copy/paste roms into it, they build an individual emulator for each game in order to make sure it is 100% accurate. That's the type of company Nintendo is.
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not but Nintendo's emulation is not 100% accurate. It's accurate enough that people don't care. I'm sick of the conversation too but mostly because it's at Snopes level of "we've made this assumption based on nothing for so long that it must be fact."

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm really confused about Nintendo's Sega Saturn announcement tactics but I guess I'll give it a look.

Also Aria of Sorrow is like worth a lot of money on the collector's market in box. Like $200+ new. I wonder if Konami will also submit Contra 4.