Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm going to have to make an early recommendation for Little Inferno for the WiiU. It's a little pricy at 15 bucks, but it's an experience. The premise is pretty simple, you're given a fireplace and a catalog of stuff to burn. Everything thing you burn gets you more money than you started with to buy more stuff to burn. All the while you get letters from your neighbor, from Tomorrow Corp, and from The Weather Man. It's absolutely bizarre and like nothing else I've ever played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
It just adds a short scene during the ending. I dug it up on YouTube after I beat it last week, it's pretty underwhelming.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yo NA dudes, Etrian Odyssey 4 may or may not be on sale on the 3DS eShop right now. Can someone check and confirm/deny?

Says $29.99 for me.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

The dude who mentioned it said it was "a 25% sale for the next couple weeks", so I guess that confirms it. Weird that Atlus didn't bother mentioning it at all (or maybe they did and I wasn't paying attention).

I'm sure if Atlus had said anything, there'd have been an email. They are relentless with their goddamn emails.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I don't know what to think about Nintendo putting up the digital versions of games two weeks before retail. I mean, it's obviously a ploy to make sure fanboys give them the money directly.

It's also going to work on me! I am kind of grumpy that I can't get that bitchin' Zelda gamepad, though.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Sarchasm posted:

Chris Kohler at Wired had a really good take on this: The digital version isn't two weeks early, the retail version is two weeks late. It's going to be on shelves when Nintendo gets the goods pressed, assembled, and shipped. Their first retail commitment that month is to the Wii U Zelda bundle, and everything else becomes secondary.

It's more of an 'Oh, I expected to have to wait until October!' sort of thing. I'm just used to Nintendo doing inexplicable poo poo regarding the internet. I have no issues with it, just not sure what to make of them doing sensible things. I think I'd rather do digital anyway, since the disc version doesn't have any perks. Getting it two weeks earlier than expected is nice bonus, too.

Fake edit: I still want that gamepad. Nintendo! :argh:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Man, I didn't even think of K.K. Slider. That would have been awesome. I'll take Isabel, though.

Also, I like that Nintendo is doing something season pass-esque where they actually tell you what you're getting, instead of buying a pig in the a poke like most other companies do anymore.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I picked up a Japanese pro controller, since I wanted a white one. Here's the Club Nintendo JP code, hopefully someone can put it to use and get some of the cool poo poo they get over there.

WUPA RSWA 8WI2 J40V 6E6Q

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Mercury Crusader posted:

I wonder what it is about the Super FX chip that makes it so complicated to emulate properly. Oh well.

I'm more annoyed that the Japanese Wii U eShop has PC Engine games while there are no TurboGrafx games out west yet. Got a shitload of TG-16 games I'd be down with carrying over.

Probably because, like any piece of hardware like that, everything coded for it's a complete hackjob.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
RIP Nintendo eShop. It was nice while it lasted.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

MassRafTer posted:

Haha oh no, I told my Aunt to set up their Wii U the night before to avoid this, I hope she got around to it early.

She's boned. RIP your aunt. Hopefully won't be as bad as launch day.

Hopefully the Hyrule Warriors costumes are going on sale today, even if it will take forever to buy them.

Fix posted:

What's this, then?

Oh wait, I mean, I'm so sad they announced on Twitter they were shutting it down for good, citing lack of sales.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

JustJeff88 posted:

I've easily enough coins for platinum in this final year, so I really hope that they offer Earthbound again like they did last year.

Just curious... has anyone done a Wii to Wii U transfer? I picked up a GameCube on the cheap over Christmas and I've had a Wii U since June '14, so I'm about ready to retire my Wii. It sounds simple, but I"d still like to hear from someone who has done it. Both my Wii and Wii U are go on my wireless network, so I think that I am in good shape.

All I have data-wise on my Wii are some saved games and Mega Man 9 & 10 with their DLC, so I fancy that I wouldn't need much space for data transfer but I could be surprised. For anyone who has done this, how much space did you need? I hate to sound cheap, but I'm really hurting for money right now and I don't want to have to buy an SD card (yes, I know that they are about $6) for just this one thing, so I was planning to pinch the one from my GPS which has about 600 meg of space on it. Would that work/be enough? I'd just like to put my Wii in mothballs, perhaps sell it, and use my GameCube for its own games and my Wii U for everything else.

It's pretty painless, if a little slow. If you're not already using an SD card, I'm not sure you'll need one, even.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'd just settle for a good homebrew N64 emulator, but Wii64 is awful.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Haruharuharuko posted:

Just spent a half hour on the phone with Nintendo customer service to have them reinstate the lapsed post play surveys I missed. Wouldn't have done it but apparently I had over 600 coins in post play surveys I missed.

They told me they couldn't do that. What the heck?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Man, I have no idea what to get with my last 535 points. Kind of leaning towards the Mario vs DK games or maybe Harmoknight or Photo Finder. Any suggestions?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Fremry posted:

Pretty much. If it doesn't have an external power source, you're going to need a USB Y-cable to get enough power to have it work.

Also, if you find that after 1-2 hours of playing, that the Wii U turns off and throws an error about the hard drive, it's probably because you need to disable HDD sleep mode. Here's how you do it:

I use one of these Toshibas. I got a 750GB one. Needs a Y-Cable, but I haven't had any issues.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Oh my god I want to program Tomorrow Corporation's literal office drones. That looks like SpaceChem, but I'm not too dumb to play it!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I don't see the Yokai Watch demo up. Lame.

And hell, I know a handful of people without smartphones, much less 3DSes.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 22, 2015

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Silver Falcon posted:

eShop usually updates around noon Eastern.

Oh right, I should know that by now. Don't normally check in the morning.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yokai demo's up. So is DBZ.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Echophonic posted:

Yokai demo's up. So is DBZ.

Neither particularly impressed me. DBZ is clunky and Yo-Kai just seems like a bunch of random bullshit. There's no strategy to combat.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I thought the reason Pokemon features lagged the way they did was that they developed stuff in parallel and it didn't cross pollinate?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Fawf posted:

Unlikely but I don't suppose they'll on sale online as a code?

You can buy the cards online, but not as a code.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Jakk posted:

It looks like it will be a major PITA and cost more $$$ to mod a Wii U to run a generic GB emulator, build a retroPi or connect a GBA to a TV after doing some research. I think I opt for using a USB controller and emulator on a computer instead.

I am curious about the emulator on the Wii U. Does it require hardware modifications?

I'm pretty sure there's a GBA emulator for the Homebrew Channel. Smash Stack still works on the virtual Wii menu.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Or keep it and play Project M.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I use my Wii to rip games for Nintendon't on my WiiU.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Zaphod42 posted:

Geno whirl motherfucker.

Geno has an ability which can do 9999 damage to any non-boss and one-shot anything. And he's awesome.

It even works on the Axem Rangers. I ganked one of them with it once.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Wonder if the updated version of Brunswick Pro Bowling is any good. I mean, I guess I could just go bowling, regardless.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Moriarty is a Metapod and turns into a Butterfree to escape.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
There's the Ambassador games, but that's it.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
They have a multi-billion dollar war chest. They don't need crowdfunding.

Oh yeah, if you're a Gamer's Club Unlocked member, they sent out codes for an early demo of Bravely Second.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Early access and paid betas as things are bad enough, I don't think we need 'major publishers doing crowdfunding' added on. It's a terrible deal from a consumer perspective to have to pay money up front before a company will even consider a project.

Rexroom posted:

I'm going to be an unique snowflake and say try Legend of Legacy. Or at least the demo.

I tried the demo and I didn't really get into it. Definitely seemed to be polarizing when it came out, people either went "oh my god this is awesome" or "what does this even want me to do?".

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 8, 2016

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Sonic Boom Wii U & 3DS are $20 each for the next little while. Jump on that deal while it's hot!

A big, steaming deal.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Region-locked Nintendo software? Well, I never!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

elf help book posted:

Nice prisons.

Better than the ones they ship in. :colbert:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

homeless snail posted:

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King is probably the best thing on the wii shop.

My Life as a Darklord is pretty neat, too.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Yeah, I haven't played it for a while, but it's a really neat sort of tower defense thing. Very different than My Life as a King. Both are really charming, though.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I have a copy of Clayfighter 63 1/3 Sculptor's Cut. Look like that game's running for like 400 in decent shape. Mine needs a bit of cleanup, since it has Blockbuster security stuff on it. The manual goes for even more.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

The Wii U version of this game is apparently busted as poo poo so even if you are still interested, maybe hold off for a little while and see if they ever fix it.

Oh good, that's the one I picked.

Don't back video game Kickstarters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
The two Final Fantasy WiiWare ones were good too, My Life as a King and My Life as a Darklord. Want to shake a joycon and summon Chime.