Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

RatHat posted:

What's with the 0451 thing? From Googling I guess it's a code in Deus Ex?
If you're at all interested in this game it would probably be worth playing System Shock, System Shock 2, Deus Ex, and Dishonored, games firmly in the "0451" family because of their design and also because "451" or some variation of it is a code that pops up early in each of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
BigSushi.fm interviewed the Steve Gaynor, one of the devs.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The game is reaching completion. They will announce the release date in a week or two, then the game will come out soon after that. Until then:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

What's the turnaround between announcement/release date on these small indie games? For big titles the street date is usually set six months to a year in advance, but does Gone Home going gold mean we can see it by the Fall?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

exquisite tea posted:

What's the turnaround between announcement/release date on these small indie games? For big titles the street date is usually set six months to a year in advance, but does Gone Home going gold mean we can see it by the Fall?

They don't tend to have lengthy marketing cycles (but they do have some), so I wouldn't be surprised to hear a release date of mid-September or early October.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Well I guess that answers my question! The devs have announced that Gone Home is being released on August 15th, just two weeks from now. I'm pretty excited because there's been a real dearth of games that have interested me this much recently.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Important playtester screenshot.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

The poltergeist AI looks really good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The first thing I am going to do is make a gigantic pillow fort out of my room. Or somebody else's, I don't care.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Details on fan translations - they're a tiny team that can't translate the game themselves, so all the text is going to be in an open format so that if you speak another language you can translate the game. Klingon is supported.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Check out this article about the company making the game.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Man this thread is a ghost town lately, and only about a day away from release! In any case, I come bearing news on the modifiers that let you play the game differently, like the "I'm scared, please turn all the lights in the house on before I play" option for people who are scared.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Man this thread is a ghost town lately, and only about a day away from release! In any case, I come bearing news on the modifiers that let you play the game differently, like the "I'm scared, please turn all the lights in the house on before I play" option for people who are scared.

Oh geez I think I got the release date mixed up with Saints Row IV (you can see how I'd make that mistake). I'm super excited about getting to play it tomorrow. There really aren't enough haunted house games out there.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I hope they put the game out on ps4 or something. Maybe I'll just see how you guys react to the game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm definitely getting this tomorrow, I just don't have too much to add and don't want to hunt down every little article about it for fear of spoiling the sense of discovery. I didn't think I could ever get excited over a game where you look through an empty house and that's it, but here we are.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I completely missed that this was tomorrow. Maybe put the date in the thread title?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Protagorean posted:

Misread title as "Goon Home", still excited.

You should have known better. They said it wouldn't be a horror game.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Szmitten posted:

I completely missed that this was tomorrow. Maybe put the date in the thread title?
That would be good. Also if the title were "My So Called Life + System Shock" that would also be sweet. If a mod reads this...

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Gone Home has nicely done Steam trading cards and other weird Steam meta-stuff. A Trapper Keeper trading card is a good thing to exist.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
ARGH YOU BEAT ME.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Let me trade American currency for this game, Steam.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
How much is this going to be? I can't find a price anywhere.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Wandering Knitter posted:

How much is this going to be? I can't find a price anywhere.

$20 is the price I've heard quoted.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, I haven't been posting in the thread because I want to go in as blind as possible. Buying it once gets released for sure, this game sounds amazing.

I still need to slog through Bioshock 2 to play Minerva's Den.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 14, 2013

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Accordion Man posted:

Minerva's Den is self contained enough that if you played BioShock 1, you're more than fine. If you own Bio 2 but don't want to complete it before playing Minerva's Den don't let that stop you!

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice

Accordion Man posted:

Don't bother. I didn't beat Bioshock 2 until long after I finished Minerva's Den (which is still the best thing with the word 'Bioshock' attached to it).

I probably won't be able to get this for a couple weeks but goddamn I am excited. Probably the game I've been most looking forward to all year. :allears:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

ja2ke posted:

Minerva's Den is self contained enough that if you played BioShock 1, you're more than fine. If you own Bio 2 but don't want to complete it before playing Minerva's Den don't let that stop you!
Yeah, I should just do that. Playing Gone Home first though.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I actually really enjoyed BioShock 2, and I think it's worth playing through either before or after Minerva's Den (and you might as well do it before because MD wraps some stuff up).

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I have been anxiously awaiting this game for soooooo long. I can't believe it's almost here.

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.
I really hope this game does well and starts a trend for really dense environments in games with better object fidelity. It bums me out when in a game you can pick up that one specific bottle and throw it but not the six others behind it that are mysteriously rooted to the counter.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I actually really enjoyed BioShock 2, and I think it's worth playing through either before or after Minerva's Den (and you might as well do it before because MD wraps some stuff up).

Yeah the combat in Bioshock 2 is real fun.

And can't wait to give Gone Home a shot. Should be real interesting.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Five hours till release! :argh: I'm stuck at home with a toothache, and I want to spend it wandering around someone else's home, drat it!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Giant Bomb Quick Look which I'm not watching because why would I, I'm already buying it.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Welp, just stumbled on this thread today (though I had heard about this game before today) and got interested. Went on steam to check the release date to find that it's releasing in around an hour, thanks thread! :dance: But it also reminded me that I need to add Dear Esther to my backlog of games to play. Thanks thread. :negative:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
A post about the music in the game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It's up now on Steam for $18 bucks. Got it just now.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You can also buy straight from the website and you get a Steam key too.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
I can't afford the full game till tomorrow, however I did get to play the first half at Rezzed and it's probably the best game I've played for years. I can't recommend it enough.
It's true exploration-based gameplay, perfectly realised setting, with a wonderfully told story and just the most amazing atmosphere.
The story that gets told really hit close to my home for me too by the end of the first half of the game I was in literal tears like the big girl I am. Everyone buy Gone Home.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

TychoCelchuuu posted:

You can also buy straight from the website and you get a Steam key too.

I wish they had put it up for pre-order on their website, I would've bought it from them instead of forgetting that they were going to sell it there and getting excited and buying it from Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
10 out of 10 from Polygon.

5 out of 5 from Giant Bomb.

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 15, 2013

• Locked thread