Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Depends on how much effort they put into the port, the main reason why it performs badly on low-end hardware is that it is one level, and the PS3 is even worse than the low end.

Realistically, I'd expect PS4/Xbone only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

pseudorandom name posted:

Depends on how much effort they put into the port, the main reason why it performs badly on low-end hardware is that it is one level, and the PS3 is even worse than the low end.

Unity already has Xbox 360 and PS3 specific implementations, although I cannot attest to their performance.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Just make a narrative driven riot grrrl rhythm game, Full Bright.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

Just make a narrative driven riot grrrl rhythm game, Full Bright.

Hook up with Harmonix and give us Rock Band Olympia.

e: Kill Rock Stars Band

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Sober posted:

Morbidly curious too; if the "not a game" bile thrown out over Gone Home is like that over what I assume is the PC gaming crowd, I want to see what grammarless manifesto we'll get from the console crowd.

I'm looking forward to it, it's going to be nearly as entertaining as the actual game.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
A talk with Steve Gaynor about life after Gone Home.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Steve Gaynor gave a talk about Gone Home at the WebVisions conference in Portland yesterday.

Well, it was more of an interview with the guy who ran the conference than a talk. They talked about the game and the team's history on previous games, gave a small demo of the first section, and answered a few questions.

He did mention that the house was "not architecturally sound," which made me laugh. There was an interesting bit about how most of the playtesters investigated the first floor before going upstairs, but others went upstairs first and then backtracked to the living room and the office.

It's been a while since I played it, might have to go through and retry with commentary.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Jet Jaguar posted:

It's been a while since I played it, might have to go through and retry with commentary.

I highly recommend the commentary mode, it starts out a bit slow but it gets quite amusing, especially since it's quite informal and they sound like they're having a good time :3:. You learn some interesting tidbits about the game's dev process as well.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
At 15:24 in this video Michael Madsen says some of the lines from the game. Hopefully he will record a whole alternate voiceover pack that can be sold as DLC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcEahraFLtQ

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I would totally buy it too.

Hey here's something new too. You can now buy a physical copy of the game with bonuses.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 8, 2014

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
That package design is inspired.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I've already spent over $60 just gifting this game to other people, but I might need to buy that physical copy version too :ohdear:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

So, I finally got around to playing this and... "Meh."

I mean, it's mechanically a very good game. It's a novel method of storytelling that really engroses you; I just wish they picked a more interesting story. It's like someone said "I have a really awesome idea on how to tell a story!" but didn't actually have a story to tell. Maybe I'm jaded, but a story that starts with "My ~~~gay~~~ sister left me an intricate series of clues and notes that starts with her saying she's gone and she doesn't want anyone to know (and don't try to find all the clues I left! I'm serious!)" and ends with the big reveal that "she's definitely still gay and left to be with her girlfriend" just seems really :effort:.

Also, aren't her parents going to find out she left when... she's not there? And they already know about the :gay: thing, so it's not like they won't be able to figure out where she went.

And the level design just kept taking me out of it. Who designed that house, M.C. Escher?

Edit: And just to clarify, I'm not complaining that the story isn't unrealistic or that simple things can't be compelling. My issue is more that there wouldn't really be a story to tell in real life - the entire thing could have been summed up in the note on the front door. They basically gave the story away in the beginning and about 1/3 of the way in, the characters were already fleshed out. The last 2/3rds (after you go into the basement, basically) just felt like filler.

Also, this is a good point. Sam's a loving moron. My best friend went to basic right after high school, and it was pretty much just 10 weeks of him calling to complain about how lovely basic is. Then he came back and had to go to base like twice a week - basically a part time job.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 25, 2014

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
I wasn't blown away by the story either, because it wasn't that complex. I don't think it was supposed to be particularly complex or brilliant though. The draw of it was more in the details and delivery rather than the large scale plot points, the explorative experience, and then the dramatic tension about what actually happens. There are at least two or three really dark scenarios that conceivably could have played out when you don't know the full story. I mean, other than your sister stealing everything of value in the house and skipping town to be a teenage drifter.

Also the existence of LESBIANS!!! in the story isn't a plot twist, or arguably even worthy of spoiler-tagging. There's an ambiguity about a relationship in the start, but most players probably clear it up in like 10 minutes, depending on what they look at. I think too much attention is given to that aspect, in terms of perceived pretensiousness by critics. It shapes that character in a more relatable and morally righteous way than anything else I can think of that would lead to a similar conflict with the world around her.

If you don't care about the characters, you'll get very little from the game though. I think for most people it was a nostalgic trip, and an emotional connection with fictional people that formed in a new and interesting way because of the medium and storytelling.

Admittedly, the initial price point was a bit much, and the hype was out of hand, but that's life.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

KillHour posted:

So, I finally got around to playing this and... "Meh."

I mean, it's mechanically a very good game. It's a novel method of storytelling that really engroses you; I just wish they picked a more interesting story. It's like someone said "I have a really awesome idea on how to tell a story!" but didn't actually have a story to tell. Maybe I'm jaded, but a story that starts with "My ~~~gay~~~ sister left me an intricate series of clues and notes that starts with her saying she's gone and she doesn't want anyone to know (and don't try to find all the clues I left! I'm serious!)" and ends with the big reveal that "she's definitely still gay and left to be with her girlfriend" just seems really :effort:.

Also, aren't her parents going to find out she left when... she's not there? And they already know about the :gay: thing, so it's not like they won't be able to figure out where she went.

And the level design just kept taking me out of it. Who designed that house, M.C. Escher?

Edit: And just to clarify, I'm not complaining that the story isn't unrealistic or that simple things can't be compelling. My issue is more that there wouldn't really be a story to tell in real life - the entire thing could have been summed up in the note on the front door. They basically gave the story away in the beginning and about 1/3 of the way in, the characters were already fleshed out. The last 2/3rds (after you go into the basement, basically) just felt like filler.

Also, this is a good point. Sam's a loving moron. My best friend went to basic right after high school, and it was pretty much just 10 weeks of him calling to complain about how lovely basic is. Then he came back and had to go to base like twice a week - basically a part time job.
You definitely missed some things because everything in the basement and after is far from filler and really helps to develop the characters.

Also I know I've said this before but Sam's terrified. This is the 90's and gay people weren't as socially accepted as they are now. She was scared that her parents wouldn't accept her and worst case scenarios were running through her mind like they potentially sending her to a "pray the gay away" camp. She also knows that if Lonnie does stay in the military their relationship is screwed due to "Don't ask don't tell". The stuff that she and Lonnie did that you find out at the end was just out of sheer desperation. It's meant to be a bittersweet ending. (Also keep mind that was easier to get a decent job out of high school in the 90's then it is now so they're probably not that screwed.)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's almost as if a lot of critics of this game's plot aren't old enough to remember what being a teenager/adult in the 90s was like!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
And I also really get the feeling that gamers really have a hard time dealing with a character-driven story because that's what Gone Home is, its more focused on you learning about the Greenbriars and who they are and how they live their lives. It really doesn't have a real strong plot, because that was the intention. If its not your cup of tea that's fine, but its pretty telling that gamers kept expecting all of these bombastic ideas like ghosts or murder in this game and then get all mad when the game doesn't do that.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 25, 2014

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Eh, we can't really get mad at people for not falling all over the game now. It was somewhat revolutionary in its presentation (which is what made it special), but now there is so much hype backlash and contemporary games of similar type that it gets dragged down.

Just because someone doesn't like Gone Home as much as they expected at this point doesn't necessarily mean they are idiots, just that there's a lot of baggage on it.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

My main issue with it is that it's kind of cliche when it comes to queer narratives and coming out stories. It's presented in a pretty unique way, but I kinda wish that the sub-plot about the parents had been better developed.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Accordion Man posted:

If its not your cup of tea that's fine, but its pretty telling that gamers kept expecting all of these bombastic ideas like ghosts or murder in this game and then get all mad when the game doesn't do that.

To be fair, the game at least broadly hints that you're going to have to deal with Oscar's ghost at some point. It uses a lot of the horror toolbox to get where it's going.

I enjoyed it, particularly since I'm only slightly younger than Katie is supposed to be, but I think $20 was too much to pay for the amount of gameplay I got.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Republican Vampire posted:

My main issue with it is that it's kind of cliche when it comes to queer narratives and coming out stories. It's presented in a pretty unique way, but I kinda wish that the sub-plot about the parents had been better developed.
Terry's subplot was fine, you just have to look harder for it then Sam's. The mom's is pretty short but it does have a conclusion and it makes sense why there is so little of her in the game, she's always away at work and not home, unlike Terry and Sam.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

Terry's subplot was fine, you just have to look harder for it then Sam's. The mom's is pretty short but it does have a conclusion and it makes sense why there is so little of her in the game, she's always away at work and not home, unlike Terry and Sam.

Lemme put it another way: I wish that the parents' sub plots, including their marital problems, actually registered with Sam's storyline. It feels perfunctory and disconnected, like it's just an excuse to send them off to that Christian retreat so that there's no one else in the house. It seems like there are a lot of possible points of intersection between the stories, especially since Sam talks about how disengaged her parents are. I dunno. Maybe I'm asking a lot of this kind of IF.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'll also add that while you're probably very right that it is cliche when it comes to those narratives in general, it isn't when it comes to video games and that's why its become beloved. Video games have barely matured as a narrative medium in more than 30 years so while Gone Home's story may not be impressive compared to other mediums its pretty big for a video game, because it does a real quality job telling its story the way only a game can and tells a really grounded story in a medium that tends to only tell stories about stuff like elves and space aliens. Gone Home isn't perfect, but it still does a notable job.

But yeah, I understand what you're saying. Gone Home was a bit of a first time thing so I can kind of forgive it for not really tying that all together as well.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

You definitely missed some things because everything in the basement and after is far from filler and really helps to develop the characters.

Also I know I've said this before but Sam's terrified. This is the 90's and gay people weren't as socially accepted as they are now. She was scared that her parents wouldn't accept her and worst case scenarios were running through her mind like they potentially sending her to a "pray the gay away" camp. She also knows that if Lonnie does stay in the military their relationship is screwed due to "Don't ask don't tell". The stuff that she and Lonnie did that you find out at the end was just out of sheer desperation. It's meant to be a bittersweet ending. (Also keep mind that was easier to get a decent job out of high school in the 90's then it is now so they're probably not that screwed.)

No, I was pretty thorough. Like I said, I thought the presentation and the concept was fantastic. I really got into the character to the point where I was just enjoying looking at all the little details on the boxes and letting it all soak in. I'd say after I left the basement was the point where the game just got... repetitive. It felt like they were really trying to hammer home the same concepts, just in case you were to daft to figure out any of the subplots (Yes, I get it, the dad's trying to live up to the legacy of his father and it's ruining his marriage and his liver). I laughed out loud at the part where you find the note on the back of his book written by his father calling him out on writing clichés because the irony is that the game is loving full of them.

Then, they place all this weight on the attic as holding some terrible secret and they hype the place up to hell. Maybe the diary would have been a better reward if the game didn't read you the entire thing before you even get there.

And the level design ruined it the most for me. Impossible architecture can be used to provide a creepy, disconcerting vibe when it's done right. Hell, just watch The Shining for a perfect example of the concept done right. But for the love of God, if you're going to do it, don't give the player a map! You're telling me that nobody noticed the "hidden" rooms just jutting out of the side of the house? And is the second floor entirely on stilts? That took me out of it more than anything. It jarred me back into realizing it's a game.

I don't want to be too hard on the game - the whole thing has a fantastic mood, and I could almost feel like I was back in time (I'm about 5 years too young to really feel nostalgic about being a teenager in the 90's, but I recognized most of the references). I just can't get past the story being a massive cliche and not having any real payoff at the end (and the aforementioned level design issues). My disappointment isn't because it's a mediocre game, it's because it was almost very nearly my favorite game ever.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Eh, we can't really get mad at people for not falling all over the game now. It was somewhat revolutionary in its presentation (which is what made it special), but now there is so much hype backlash and contemporary games of similar type that it gets dragged down.

Just because someone doesn't like Gone Home as much as they expected at this point doesn't necessarily mean they are idiots, just that there's a lot of baggage on it.

But that's the thing - it's not. Penumbra did the same form of storytelling and immersion back in 2007. Granted, that game is actually a survival horror, while this is primarily a narrative with a tiny bit of puzzle game. Maybe a better comparison would be Myst - all the way back in '93. Again, same form of interactive storytelling that made you want to explore to find out the background. Sure, some of the ideas are novel in a way, and the atmosphere is definitely fantastically executed. But if you're going to make a video game about a story, make sure you know how to write one, first.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 25, 2014

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

In fairness, most gamers are really really dumb about picking up on plot threads, and we're still not even at the point where you can trust players to look up. That doesn't mean it's not a valid complaint, but I always have to bear that in mind when it bothers me.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

In fairness, most gamers are really really dumb about picking up on plot threads, and we're still not even at the point where you can trust players to look up. That doesn't mean it's not a valid complaint, but I always have to bear that in mind when it bothers me.

If your story requires that the "reader" absolutely see every little detail, maybe you shouldn't make it interactive. And that's the thing - this story didn't even need that. You could miss half the story, and it would still make sense. There was just so little story there to begin with, they had to make sure you got all of it or it wouldn't seem fleshed out enough (it wasn't). And the whole "finding things out by reading crumpled up papers conveniently left in order" feels contrived. The signal to noise ratio is way too high to feel believable.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 25, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't recall the house's architecture being "impossible", but then again, I've played Infocom games.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It basically uses fairly common videogame elements (c'mon guys, we've had environmental story telling since Wolfenstein 3D) to tell a story which is uncommon inside videogames. I found it decent enough but the level of hype and defense it gets is really weird, and kind of self-vindicating.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Look, I'm just glad anytime anyone at all ever remembers Bratmobile.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

precision posted:

I don't recall the house's architecture being "impossible", but then again, I've played Infocom games.

There are no areas where the geometry overlaps, but there are tons where it doesn't make sense - missing rooms, 8 foot thick walls, the upper floor being a completely different shape and orientation from the lower floor, "secret" passages that would be blindingly obvious from the exterior of the building, roof lines that don't match up and would cause water to collect and damage the house.

You could build it, but nobody ever would.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 25, 2014

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

KillHour posted:

(Yes, I get it, the dad's trying to live up to the legacy of his father and it's ruining his marriage and his liver).
I don't want to be a dick, because Gone Home isn't perfect and there's plenty to criticize about it, but if you're using this as an example of the game being too obvious about things, you've proved yourself wrong. There's more going on with Terry than just "daddy issues"; his story is pretty intricately intertwined with Uncle Oscar's once you realize what's going on there.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I don't want to be a dick, because Gone Home isn't perfect and there's plenty to criticize about it, but if you're using this as an example of the game being too obvious about things, you've proved yourself wrong. There's more going on with Terry than just "daddy issues"; his story is pretty intricately intertwined with Uncle Oscar's once you realize what's going on there.

I picked up on the connection, but that doesn't make him any less of a cliche. The struggling writer was abused by his crazy uncle? You don't say!

KillHour fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 25, 2014

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

KillHour posted:

If your story requires that the "reader" absolutely see every little detail, maybe you shouldn't make it interactive. And that's the thing - this story didn't even need that. You could miss half the story, and it would still make sense. There was just so little story there to begin with, they had to make sure you got all of it or it wouldn't seem fleshed out enough (it wasn't). And the whole "finding things out by reading crumpled up papers conveniently left in order" feels contrived. The signal to noise ratio is way too high to feel believable.

Why shouldn't the story require the reader to see every detail? That was the point of the game - to find all of the stories details and put them together in your head.

Most of your other points, like relying on crumpled paper and secret passages, i do get. I kind of feel like gone home is a first try on a kind-of sort-of new genre of nonpuzzle exploration games with lots of hidden details in a grounded story that it's up to the player to assemble.
It will take a few more iterations for some things to get some things right, to stop relying on videogame cliches and find new things that work better for this.

I recently had the same problem with a game called contrast. Despite the interesting concept, the gameplay was disappointingly light and linear, you just go on the path to the next light source to fetch the next thing. The game seemed like it was telling a fairly different and interesting story that pulled me through the first act despite that, but the second act got hokey and video gamey as gently caress.

Because of that and that the gimmick is actually buggy and badly coded, I have not played the third act. This is a story I've had with a few indie games, really.

poptart_fairy posted:

It basically uses fairly common videogame elements (c'mon guys, we've had environmental story telling since Wolfenstein 3D) to tell a story which is uncommon inside videogames. I found it decent enough but the level of hype and defense it gets is really weird, and kind of self-vindicating.

The "girls are icky" squad has been especially hard on this particular game, creating a very low signal to noise ratio in the criticism.
Gone Home has a lower rating on gog than loving hugos house of lovely horrors, I mean really now.

Which is too bad because when doing a new thing, good criticism is needed for the next trial to improve.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

It's interesting to see how this game hits people depending on their age. I really liked it, but this game got to me because Sam's bedroom looks almost exactly like the bedroom of a friend of mine's back in the 90's. That really struck a cord with me while I was playing it.

As far as the parents storyline actually interacting with Sam's: I feel like Sam was at an age where you really stop paying attention to your parents. You live with them and rely on them, but their personal life just isn't on your radar, so the only time they all actually interact is when they chastise her for her relationship to Lonnie.

This isn't surprising since the mom was checked out for a while due to her job and crush, and dad was just sort of spinning his wheels. That sounds like the "whatever" generation to me.

Edit: I played through this recently, and I forgot how well they set up the horror vibe for the first little bit of the game before it comes down to earth. That dark hallway with the emergency signal on the tv blaring, and the fake out with the red hair dye in the bathtub is pretty good.

Max fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 25, 2014

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Max posted:

It's interesting to see how this game hits people depending on their age. I really liked it, but this game got to me because Sam's bedroom looks almost exactly like the bedroom of a friend of mine's back in the 90's. That really struck a cord with me at the time.

As far as the parents storyline actually interacting with Sam's: I feel like Sam was at an age where you really stop paying attention to your parents. You live with them and rely on them, but their personal life just isn't on your radar, so the only time they all actually interact is when they chastise her for her relationship to Lonnie.

This isn't surprising since the mom was checked out for a while due to her job and crush, and dad was just sort of spinning his wheels. That sounds like the "whatever" generation to me.

Yeah, that was the point. Nobody interacts, that's why they're all having problems. Sam and Lonnie are withdrawing into each other, Mom is withdrawing into her work and potentially her coworker, Dad is withdrawing into his novels, but none of them are interacting, which is the one thing that would let them fix their problems. The parents think the solution is to send their daughter away and have somebody else fix it. Ironically, they end up being the ones going to a retreat, but it's to actually work on things together. Them not interacting with each other and withdrawing into their own private worlds is pretty much the conflict of the story.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

Max posted:

Edit: I played through this recently, and I forgot how well they set up the horror vibe for the first little bit of the game before it comes down to earth. That dark hallway with the emergency signal on the tv blaring, and the fake out with the red hair dye in the bathtub is pretty good.
the only objectively BAD thing I've found with Gone Home is that I can never experience all the red herrings and fakeouts for the first time again. Going into it completely blind was easily one of the best experiences I've had with a game.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

KillHour posted:

I picked up on the connection, but that doesn't make him any less of a cliche.

Cliches aren't bad. There's a reason why they became cliches.

You seem to be mixing up two different criticisms:
1) The game is too obvious with its storytelling;
2) The game is telling a story I've seen before.

As Crappy Jack said, interactive narrative in a 3D space is still very much in its infancy and developers have had to evolve a new visual storytelling language to compensate: color-coding important elements, subtle environmental cues, waypoint markers, etc. Thus, in the current space, a story like Gone Home that provides no such cues must operate on the assumption that a prospective player will not see or understand everything in the game, but still deliver a satisfying conclusion if and when that player makes it to the end.

If you search more exhaustively than the average player, then you may end up feeling like your hand was held or that the themes were shouted into your face, but you must then temper that with the knowledge that you did search more exhaustively; you got more of the story than most people did. Even then, there are elements of the story that are so subtle that they're easy to miss, like their mom almost having an affair with the new hire at her forestry office. I'd go so far as to say that Terry's history of abuse is in that territory as well, since it's hinted at more than it's ever shown, and a lot of players have reportedly gone through the game without realizing it's there.

As for the "cliche" argument, frankly, I don't think you have a leg to stand on there. You could argue that Gone Home relies so heavily on its interactive/experimental nature to tell the story that it ends up as a detriment to elements of the story itself, which is fair (i.e. the mother's near-absence from the narrative, or how Terry seems very important early on but becomes less so as you reach the second floor), or that the story it thinks it's telling isn't the same as the story it is telling (i.e. Sam and Lonnie's romantic "escape," which will land Terry in debt and Lonnie in jail).

Writing elements of the story off as "cliched," however, says more about you than it does about what you're criticizing. It says you're cynical, and possibly that you're really young; it says that you have not yet realized that everything is a cliche if you've consumed enough culture. Gone Home is an experiment in how to tell a story, not how to make new stories, and if you're accusing it of cliche, you're asking for something from it that it never promised to deliver.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Also, this:

KillHour posted:

But if you're going to make a video game about a story, make sure you know how to write one, first.

Don't be this guy. There's nothing in Gone Home that would deserve a dose of this kind of junior-high vitriol, particularly on SA where you have a better than even chance of one of the developers reading the thread.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wanderer posted:

Cliches aren't bad. There's a reason why they became cliches.

You seem to be mixing up two different criticisms:
1) The game is too obvious with its storytelling;
2) The game is telling a story I've seen before.

As Crappy Jack said, interactive narrative in a 3D space is still very much in its infancy and developers have had to evolve a new visual storytelling language to compensate: color-coding important elements, subtle environmental cues, waypoint markers, etc. Thus, in the current space, a story like Gone Home that provides no such cues must operate on the assumption that a prospective player will not see or understand everything in the game, but still deliver a satisfying conclusion if and when that player makes it to the end.

If you search more exhaustively than the average player, then you may end up feeling like your hand was held or that the themes were shouted into your face, but you must then temper that with the knowledge that you did search more exhaustively; you got more of the story than most people did. Even then, there are elements of the story that are so subtle that they're easy to miss, like their mom almost having an affair with the new hire at her forestry office. I'd go so far as to say that Terry's history of abuse is in that territory as well, since it's hinted at more than it's ever shown, and a lot of players have reportedly gone through the game without realizing it's there.

As for the "cliche" argument, frankly, I don't think you have a leg to stand on there. You could argue that Gone Home relies so heavily on its interactive/experimental nature to tell the story that it ends up as a detriment to elements of the story itself, which is fair (i.e. the mother's near-absence from the narrative, or how Terry seems very important early on but becomes less so as you reach the second floor), or that the story it thinks it's telling isn't the same as the story it is telling (i.e. Sam and Lonnie's romantic "escape," which will land Terry in debt and Lonnie in jail).

Writing elements of the story off as "cliched," however, says more about you than it does about what you're criticizing. It says you're cynical, and possibly that you're really young; it says that you have not yet realized that everything is a cliche if you've consumed enough culture. Gone Home is an experiment in how to tell a story, not how to make new stories, and if you're accusing it of cliche, you're asking for something from it that it never promised to deliver.

But that's exactly the problem. If the entire point of the game is that it's supposed to be a novel way of telling a story (which is the entire point of the game), then the quality of the story is going to have a huge impact on the quality of the game. Again, I'm not criticizing the game because I don't like it. It's a good game. It could have been a fantastic game. And I don't dislike the story because it's cliched; I dislike the story because it's unsatisfying. Not only can you see the ending coming from a mile away, but when you get to it, it just... ends. Not in the "this ending pisses me off" way, or even in the "this ending doesn't give me closure" way - both of those can be good endings. It ends in a "meh" way. I went from extremely engrossed in the game to disappointed in like 15 minutes.

And you're right, cliches aren't bad; two dimensional characters are bad - and that's what these characters were. They didn't feel like people, they felt like TV Tropes articles.

You're also wrong - this game provides plenty of cues for where to look and where to go. They were subtle, but they were there. You didn't notice them because for the most part, they were well done by a group of people that has very obviously mastered the art of how to tell a story in a video game. I spent a long time studying video game development before I realized that wasn't what I wanted to do with my life. I picked up on what they game wanted me to do very easily - I never got lost, and I think I spent about a grand total of 5 minutes not knowing exactly where the game wanted me to go next because I got distracted and missed the sewing room. According to Steam, the game took me 102 minutes to beat, and I was extremely thorough in my exploration and didn't rush at all. These people obviously know what they're doing (and they should, judging from their pedigree).

Again, I'm not bashing the game. I really liked the first half of it. The rest just felt rushed and ruined it for me.

Wanderer posted:

Also, this:

Don't be this guy. There's nothing in Gone Home that would deserve a dose of this kind of junior-high vitriol, particularly on SA where you have a better than even chance of one of the developers reading the thread.

This isn't junior-high anything. I hope the developers read this. Making a story driven game without having a story you really want to tell is like making a painting without a subject you really want to paint. It's obvious when it happens and no matter how good the brush strokes are, it will never be a masterpiece.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

poptart_fairy posted:

I think the hype it gets usually comes in moderation and is vastly overstated and the defensiveness only comes from heaps and heaps of people calling it Gone Homo/Not A Game/The Worst Thing On Steam, etc which I would find pretty irritating if it was about something that connected with me as strongly as it did with some people.

• Locked thread