Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

Motherfucker posted:

I felt pretty nonplussed throughout the game, the feelings of fear or worry never really hitting me, I didn't know anyone in this game before I arrived at the house, how am I supposed to care that the house is empty if it was never really full in my mind at any stage?

Also as far as the 'focus' of the story, the sister's lesbianism and elopement. (is that a word? gently caress it) it didn't really strike me as an emotionally appropriate or reasonable response. The family seemed genuinely loving and non dysfunctional, it seemed like the sister bailing out with a complete stranger who she has a teenage boner for was romanticized when in my mind that doesn't seem right at all. Although possibly I just don't understand because I'm not gay and don't live in America. Or that I didn't pick up on something key, or perhaps the sister is older than I thought... But yeah...

This game simply primarily made me feel regret for the money I spent.

17 year olds don't make emotionally appropriate or reasonable responses. Especially not with their first love, a love that her parents outright denied was even happening when they learned about it. The time period plays into it as well, queerness was much less accepted and visible back then than it is now, much more of a 'dirty secret'.

I'm interested though. Out of the people here who really enjoyed it, how many are queer? The story strongly reflects the personal experiences of a lot of queer people, which is why I think it's hitting some people much harder than others.

Flashing Twelve fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Aug 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

aherdofpenguins posted:

I'm turning 30 soon...for the people who liked it, how old are you? I can imagine this game hits home with a certain age range, and a lot of it would be lost on others.

I was 4 in 1995 but I really enjoyed it. There's a kind of romanticism to the 90s that the game channels well, the handwritten notes instead of text messages, answering machines and VCRs and super nintendo and all.

Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Because its WHITEPEOPLEPROBLEMS.exe for 17,09 euros. I enjoyed it, thought it was good and surprisingly tense, but since I'm now living in the most segregated part of my city, a long way from the privileged neighbourhood with pristine villas I grew up in, I can empathise with people who really don't give a good god drat about a young grrl and her life decision of running away from home, and two grown adults being privileged enough to even struggle and come to terms with their personal demons. People struggle to feed their kids on a daily basis and you think this video game is the height of Art? You can hold as many strong opinions as you want but if you keep an open mind you might learn something!

HOWEVER, I really really enjoyed this game, I love walking around houses exploring things like this, the narrative was very well told and the family dynamics where even quite believable! All in all, a refreshing take on video games!

No, sorry, you don't get to lump the issues that young queer people face as privileged white people problems. Or make the same tired "all your problems are insignificant compared to starving children" argument. We can discuss the game, what it says, and how well it says it on its own merits without having to contextualise it against The Entirety Of Human Suffering.

Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Okay here goes then:

(sorry for this coming block of black)
What gripped me the most was the journal where sam said her parents reacted her 'coming out of the closet' by trying to stuff her back in, in the context of that family it was obvious the parents had their own issues. Sam's relationship, on paper bringing trouble to her (via the school calling her parents) was probably some sort of icing on the cake for them. That part felt real, it wasn't some big fight, the parents just refused to acknowledge who she was and what made her happy, ascribing it to a 'wild phase'. That stuff felt like a gut-punch.

Who knows what will happen when the two star struck lovers run away, at the age of 17. It sure was a drastic decision for such young people, but seeing the slip that hinted at her dad planning to ship her way to some heterosexualization-camp gave the situation gravitas.

The pressure of keeping everything perfect, the "nuclear family" was well explored. I'm not sure how I felt about the ending, the parents personal problems where on the path to getting solved, but the relationship between them and sam didn't get a resolve, which in reality i guess it often doesn't. Her parents probably never knew about Sam's situation as a psycho house girl in school and what she went through.

However as a previous person noted, the emotional phase, the rrrriot stuff, the two girls as 'bad' outsiders in school, maybe hampered my immersion a little. Let me explain myself: The core of Sam's narrative was her non-normative realtionship, and everything around it had to build up as clues to that. Those clues were to me very ham-fisted. We all know the medialized stereotype of a lesbian teenage girl, we've all seen it, which is great, and it should continue to get explored, but maybe a bit more nuanced. I don't know, maybe she plays as some OTHER than Chun-Li, etc. Yolanda being an awesome singer after spending her life in the army? now thats just unreliable narration on Sam's part. Also, Daniels part in establishing Sam's sexuality was ham-fisted. Sam finds one guy boring: She must be a lesbian! Sam can obviously not discover her sexuality without having a solid MAN there to base her opinions of men on I guess? His part of the story should have ended at nintendo dude.

I think all members of the family had very clichéd situations, cemented by the mothers harlequinn book outlining ther romance with the colleague. The amazing part of this game was how it told what it did, maybe not what the circumstances outlined.
And yeah, the maybesuicide part was gripping, most interesting part of the game, it really could have gone either way.

Will LGBT-people (this might be unsensitive wording i'm not from america I'm not entirely up to date with what words are generally acceptable) be able to relate to this? Probably only in the most basic fashion possible. Will it maybe open some shut in gamers eyes? Hopefully, but that's just a start.

I'm glad I paid full price (-10%) for this game, and I'll continue to support games that tells the stories of non-normative people and their lives.

Thanks, this is a good post. Someone's already mentioned the Daniel thing so I won't touch on it.

The situations are a little cliched yeah, but they're cliches precisely because they're common situations. The game isn't trying to tell the story of a unique one-of-a-kind person, it's trying to tell the story of an ordinary middle-class American family and their queer daughter, and that means the kind of situations that ordinary people face.

Queer people do relate to this game a lot (I definitely do), the whole "special friend" thing is a really common experience among emerging queers. Which is something the game is excellent at, channeling the simultaneous confusion and wonder of both an emerging sexuality and an emerging queer identity. I don't think it's going to open anyones' eyes though. If the entire world so far hasn't convinced someone that being gay is ok, well, a little video game isn't going to do much.

If you really wanted to challenge players, race is a topic that's pretty much unexplored in video games. Beyond hamfisted alien analogies, of course.

Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

Cocoham posted:

I have a friend who is like this. He says that hes disappointed if he doesn't get at least $1/per hour of gameplay. He's pretty much the worst gamer alive.

We've all been spoiled and come to expect 50+ hours of gameplay out of a $10 purchase. Personally I blame minecraft.

• Locked thread