Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
/\/\I think the lights are messed up, I've had sections I know should be on end up turning themselves off.
Wait, there's an ending? I had to take a break because I got stuck on how to unlock the attic, but I am really loving this so far.
Anyone have any broad non spoiler hints on that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Just finished and, wow that was the first bloody videogame to ever make me tear up. Well played devs, well played. I think I need a hug.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I like how much story is in the house without the game having characters to come out and push it in your face. So many subtle tidbits all over the place, this is probably my game of the year so far. Well until Dream gets finished maybe.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh wow I didn't even think about that, and I used to do that exact thing.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

exquisite tea posted:

Did anyone recall when the Allegra manuscript in the hidden panel was written, the one where First Mate is reborn as a woman?

Yeah I found that, I think it was really important to Sam's character development. The fact that is was hidden is really drat important.
EDIT: I love that this thread looks like a Freedom of Information Act NSA document lol. It warms my cockles that those of us that have beaten the game don't want to ruin the experience for new players.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

ymgve posted:

Then again, Ouija boards "work" because people subconsciously move the marker, thus writing the message themselves. So in context with the rest of the otherwise mundane story, it's more likely that happened, and there is no lingering uncle ghost.
I think its more young girls freaking themselves out then anything really spooky.
And Im watching the Giant Bomb playthrough and I just realized that the answering machine has messages from Katie and Lonnie so awesome detail.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

OmniDesol posted:

I should have, but nope. The devs hinted at it on Twitter.

Whaaat does this mean I have to bear the ending a third time? Mannnnnn.
I don't know if I can deal with that much good sad, Im a mess right now as it reminds me of my best friend.
Hoooly poo poo the TV room brings back some memories, all those two-three movie tapes wow. I wish I had my parents' old VCR stash because it was mighty.
EDIT: This game makes me miss my old college radio days back in the 90s. Crazy.

Dreadwroth fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 16, 2013

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Quinton posted:

a. That is awesome.

b. Did you carry Christmas Duck with you from room to room for the entire game?

I did and I didn't see anything special happen at the end so yeah.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Cicadalek posted:

Pretty good summary of the history between Terrence and Oscar here. Major spoilers obviously
Wow this guy really gets it. Holy poo poo.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

XenoCrab posted:

About the house: The piece of paper in the room with in broken light with the liquor order implies that this house was used to smuggle booze during prohibition, right? The date on the paper is Mar. '23 and it mentions the governor being happy with enforcement and that the arrangement will continue. The house being used for smuggling also explains the secret passages and why the room with no light exists (it either would have been connected to a tunnel or had some sort of hatch to outside). Thoughts?
Turn up the brightness, you can see in the creepy little room there is a section of wall that looks different, implying that it was a smugglin' tunnel at some point.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Sylpher posted:

As far as the house..

It feels like one of the more underdeveloped parts. We know it has history. A few small things can be pieced together from the prohibition era note, but not much. How old is the house? Who originally built it? Not Oscar since there was a mention of being born and dying there. Was it built all at once, weird passages and all, or were things added over time? Why did Oscar end up with the house and not his sister? On and on. I don't need all the answers, but a little more info would have gone a long way.

They kind of explain the house's layout, it was used as part of a booze smuggling setup during prohabition. This is why it has the crazy wiring and all the secret passages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

aherdofpenguins posted:

I'm turning 30 soon...for the people who liked it, how old are you? I can imagine this game hits home with a certain age range, and a lot of it would be lost on others.
I really enjoyed this game, and I'm turning 39 this year. I played Bikini Kill and other Grrrl bands in college radio, the vcr collection looked exactly like my parents' boxes of pirated videos, and Sam reminds me of people I know. You could say this game seems pretty familiar to me.

• Locked thread