Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I just finished my playthrough of it, and my God.

The way the visuals are crafted in this game is simply really impressive. I enjoyed how much it really ran with the theme of walking through a reclusive, psychotic man's house, secret passages and all. It kinda says something about a game that makes you really understand its characters, without ever letting you interact with them.

For people who have finished their playthroughs, are there more than 21 journals? I feel like I explored pretty exhaustively, and haven't found any more than that. That, and I'm not sure if it ever really explains what Oscar actually did, or if we're left to guess that for ourselves. I mean, we know that whatever he did alienated the people around him, and most of his immediate family. I'm also a little confused, because Sam refers to Oscar as "Uncle Oscar", but the will in Terrence's safe clearly says that Oscar is Terrence's Uncle, not brother, which would make Oscar Sam's great-uncle, right?

Anyway, it was a really great game, and I could see booting it up again to exhaustively explore anything I didn't find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

redcheval posted:

Well that's... :smith: Missing that piece of info actually makes me feel like I missed a decent chunk of the story. I have to assume that something happened to his son, presumably by his own doing, since everyone at school openly refers to the house as the 'psycho house'. Either that or the kid died somehow and then Oscar went crazy, causing everyone in the town to shun him as a result.

Yeah, that and his will stating that he died unmarried and childless, right? Kinda says something happened there. I'm guessing he either cut his sister out of the will, or she died before him, given that he left everything to his nephew.

exquisite tea posted:

If you examine the calendar in the dining room, the couples retreat was rather hastily added in over the scratched out wedding date for Rick (the forest ranger dude). So it was a last minute thing. Narrative wise, it also injects a little suspense into the story at the point at which the player is likely to find their parents' bedroom.

I absolutely loved the Mom/Rick subplot. It really makes you wonder if she was just reading into his friendship too much, or if Rick actually had feelings for her, or what. All I know is, I gotta imagine it's pretty uncomfortable for Katie to find all these hints at her Mom's infidelity.

apophenium posted:

Did anyone find out where all the VHS players went?

Also, I can only hope Katie can explain the stuff about Sam well enough to convince them it's a good thing. It would seriously break my heart if a rift grew in the family. It's not really up for dispute that Katie accepts what Sam did, so surely she can convince her parents.

Ugh, I'm gonna be thinking about this game for a long time.

I'm guessing Sam took them? Maybe for money, or something. After all Lonnie said "Grab everything you can."

Is it really not up for dispute that Katie accepts Sam's actions? I didn't think we got to see Katie's reaction. After all, though we as the player get to hear the journal entries throughout the game, Katie doesn't read them until the end. I like to hope Katie accepts what Sam did, don't get me wrong, but the only time we get Katie's reaction is to the...erm... intimate note in the basement. Of course, her reaction to that would be merited regardless of the circumstances, because no sane, normal person wants to think about their sibling's love-life. Of course, I could have totally missed something, and if it's pretty blatantly said that Katie's okay with all this, that makes for a much happier ending.

God, the discussion this game merits is so good. Some of the tiniest details can reshape all your thoughts on it.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Teenage Fansub posted:

Anyone screencap this note?

Yeah. Here you go.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
After another playthrough... Do you think Oscar may actually have been a drug addict? Consider things in this light: he owned a large pharmacy, which he later sold for a song under mysterious circumstances. His letter references removing himself from temptation, and he orders large amounts of brandy, rum, and whiskey when he lives alone. It would explain a lot; the stash in the safe, his "psycho" reputation, and the "illness" that took him away from his business.

The last time Terry was measured was at Thanksgiving, yeah? At this point, perhaps he's using booze as a crutch, and confessed/did something that alienated his sister/family, which might be where the cross-dressing thing comes into play.

The obituary in the paper doesn't actually list his cause of death, which suggests it would be damaging/embarrassing to the family. He also died pretty young.

Just a thought, anyway.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I am now thoroughly convinced that the developers of this game think of everything

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Quinton posted:

a. That is awesome.

b. Did you carry Christmas Duck with you from room to room for the entire game?

I should have, but nope. The devs hinted at it on Twitter.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
For the love of God, I cannot find the 23rd Journal entry anywhere. I have torn this place apart trying to find just one more journal, and I'm coming up with nothing. Anyone find them all yet?

Edit: As soon as I say that, I finally found it. Such an inconsequential little trigger item, but it still managed to elude me. Guess that's 100% for me.

Just Burgs fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 17, 2013

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Sankis posted:

I ended up having to ask the official twitter account. What was your 23rd? The one I couldn't find was the hat on the bike

I was missing "The Nunnery", the note under the folder.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I just get the feeling that if a game or movie has this sort of lonely, unsettling, spooky setting, something is going on that is going to freak the hell out of me and give me nightmares.

I find it difficult to trust the marketing material for games sometimes, I guess. I always assume something's gunning for me.

If I was exploring an unfamiliar abandoned house at night during a thunderstorm I'd probably just stop in the living room with a lamp on and wait for morning because I would feel like every shadow and dark room is concealing something that's going to get me.

This game will make you kinda tense at some points, but I'm pretty sure nothing's gonna give you nightmares.

Accordion Man posted:

Which room is that in? That's the only one I'm missing too.

Right wing, first floor. Next to the sweet couch.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

the black husserl posted:

Dear Fullbright: please patch this game so I can put the cassette tapes back in their boxes. Thanks.

edit: Actually instead please patch the game so that every 1/100 copies has a spectral entity that stalks the player throughout the house.

According to the Twitter, the first patch will involve fixing the dice, so the numbers are displayed on the correct sides.

This company is crazy, but it's the kind of crazy I love.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Accordion Man posted:

The 24th Journal exists and it has finally be found.

Meow meow meow

Nabbed it! This game is making me paranoid. I can never trust it to be completely over, and apparently found a forgotten dev-feature/testing thing in the process of looking for this last journal.

One of the boards on the deck is not quite so sturdy. Removing it reveals just a weird space, that disposes of any item you throw into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Ulta posted:

How did people interpret the $100+ beauty salon receipt under the couch? Is it just more of the Mom/Rick storyline? Also is it the consensus that they never actually got together?

The haircut is the day before she accompanied Rick to the Earth, Wind, and Fire concert. I interpreted as being related to that storyline.

• Locked thread