Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Website | Steam Page | twitter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5KJzLsyfBI

What is Gone Home?
It's 1995. You come home from a vacation in Europe to find your family's new house seemingly abandoned. A note taped to the front door, from your younger sister, tells you not to poke around trying to find out what's going on. It's night and there's a storm brewing, so the phones are down and you can't really walk through the woods to civilization. Obviously, you go inside and try to figure out what happened. That's the game.

So It's a Horror Game? A Monster Ate Everyone?
Not overly. It's a game about exploring and about piecing together a narrative by looking at the sorts of items that people use to live their lives. You can pick up items, look at them, put them back down, move them around the house, and so on. The game is not full of puzzles or linear sections - you go wherever you want in the house and find (or fail to find) whatever parts of the story that you end up finding, although you do have to find ways to open a few locked doors. There aren't multiple endings, but there are sort of multiple middles, because most people miss stuff when they play through, so there are new things to find if you play through again. What happened? Why? What kinds of people are your family members? What kind of person are you? You'll learn more (or less) about this depending on what you find and what conclusions you draw. This is not to say that it isn't scary - you're alone in a house at night in a storm and the lights aren't on (until you turn them on).

What Kind of Wacky People Made This Game? It Doesn't Have Any Guns, For God's Sake!
Gone Home is a product from the Fullbright Company, a game development studio started by Steve Gaynor, Johnnemann Nordhagen, and Karla Zimonja. They worked on BioShock 2 and were also responsible for Minerva's Den, the pretty fantastic BioShock 2 DLC. Here's a really interesting stream where Steve Gaynor plays through Minerva's Den and talks about it.

How Many Journal Entries are There? I Want Them All!
23. Also There is a 24th secret entry.

I'm Like 14 Years Old and Can't Read Legitimate Old Timey Handwriting, Please Help?
Turn on "Overlay Text" or whatever in the options menu so you can read the handwritten notes, you tiny child, you.

Should I Turn "Interaction Text" Off? That Will Make the Game More Immersive Like Armed Assault 3!
Actually no - the "interaction text" is also flavor text sometimes, so leave it on.

Where's the Key to Open [Whatever the gently caress]?
If you're stuck, try the following things:
1. Check the sewing room.
2. Check all the secret compartments.

Where is the Combination for the Safe?
Turn around and look what's written on the wall.

Can I Get a Screencap of that One Note That Auto-Closes?
It's a spoiler so don't read it until you've found it in the game. Screencap thanks to Smirr!

Goon Reviews:

StoicFnord posted:

EuroGamer can go gently caress itself.

I cried. I cried over a game. I have never cried over a game.

No spoilers. Its better to experience it yourself. You need to buy the game, and you need to reward the people who made this for making it.

Wandering Knitter posted:

Game does not let me watch a bootleg VHS copy of Dark Crystal. 4/10 :colbert:

Szmitten posted:

Finished it. Wasn't expecting what I got. Great game; play it if you're even vaguely interested.

Crappy Jack posted:

Very VERY much enjoyed that. I'd always enjoyed exploratory games like this, one of my favorite gaming moments is that section in Deus Ex where you're examining the DuClare mansion, just walking around this big empty house looking for clues and secrets, and this game delivered in spades.
Along with an absolutely gripping story told in the most unconventional way.

Pollyanna posted:

Dammit, I really wanna play the game, but my poor MBP can't handle it without burning up. :( I'm gonna have to watch an LP of it...is there a good one out yet?

Al! posted:

The weirdest thing for me about this game is I kind of know how that house smells from visiting houses like that in Oregon.

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

I've never played a game that made a person's life so believable before. I can't even describe how I felt playing it.

Ryen Deckard posted:

:cry: oh my god this game.

I just beat it, what an incredible story.

smashthedean posted:

This game made me start rewatching The X-files. Also, it was pretty great.

Reacon posted:

I don't give a gently caress - I thought I made that clear already. I'm posting just to make sure you realise I don't give one.

EDIT: Not posting because I give a gently caress at all.

EDIT2: Still not refreshing this page. gently caress y'all.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Motherfucker posted:

I felt pretty nonplussed throughout the game, the feelings of fear or worry never really hitting me, I didn't know anyone in this game before I arrived at the house, how am I supposed to care that the house is empty if it was never really full in my mind at any stage?

This game simply primarily made me feel regret for the money I spent.

cheesetriangles posted:

Just finished this and been crying for about a half hour since I finished it. gently caress.

Tolth posted:

This is the first videogame I have ever played that I would feel comfortable defending as a legitimate artistic piece to other adults in real life. As someone who's been obsessively wasting my time on this garbage since I was 5 years old, it's really cheering. Also, the ending was the single most emotionally affective set piece I have ever come across in a videogame.

Seriously, this game has made me a happy man in so many ways.

Bluedust posted:

Yeah I'm an only child and the game did nothing for me. That's probably why.

e: Like I've never even heard of Riot Grrl or whatever. Oh well, I was expecting something like Telltale's Walking Dead, especially for the $20 price tag, I'll start recommending it to people when it hits $5 this Christmas though as it's a neat demo for a full game if you will.

PonchAxis posted:

This game is amazing and honestly tells a way better story than all the other big "story games" out there (Bioshock Infinite, Last of Us). And its mostly because there is no dumb combat I have to do to get to the next story bit. So many times playing through all 3 bioshocks I just didn't want to fight anyone, because the combat was just too boring. And in the case of Infinite, the combat was definitely improved but towards the end got very tiring. Honestly this is what I wanted Bioshock Infinite to be as well many other narrative driven games. Its just so drat good at telling its story and all you do is just explore and read through stuff. The mystery is great and solving it on my own was even better. Goddamn fantastic, this is an important game for sure.

Heran Bago posted:

No thanks this game is too expensive for what it offers.

Al! posted:

My favorite thing about Gone Home so far has been exposing how many people on the Internet are secret robot spies.

Republicans posted:

I could only ever make out really simple objects like spheres in magic eye pictures.

Anyway, this was a neat little thing but not $18 worth of neat. I agree with Eurogamer in that if this was part of some larger game with a grander narrative it would have been amazing but on its own it just feels lacking. I'll heartily recommend it when it is available for $5 or less, though.

COBRARocky posted:

I really can not believe I payed $20 for this.

Bethesda has a website dedicated to downloading Daggerfall for free. Daggerfall is the best Elder Scrolls game out there, and can be enjoyed for dozens of hours.

...and some people out there try to justify 20 dollars for a weak lesbian romance that can be summed up in around 50 seconds.

Alain Perdrix posted:

Only found out about this game tonight, and then proceeded to play it for like 3 hours, to its conclusion. It's one of the best games I've ever played, and no other game has ever come close to provoking the emotional reaction in me that this one did. Like, god drat, it hit me like a ton of bricks... about five or six times.

Feeble posted:

Just finished it. I didn't cry but goddamn if I didn't come really close. I thought I'd be saying The Last of Us had the best story in gaming this year but that's over now. Gone Home all the way. You can add that to the list in the OP. gently caress, I can't stop smiling, why can't I stop smiling?

Hard Clumping posted:

I loving love this game and I can't wait to support anything they do in the future. Gone Home even convinced me to trudge through the hell of Games For Windows Live to finally play Minerva's Den, which was also excellent.

Lilli posted:

This was a really good game that I ended up crying over. First time that's actually happened to me while playing a game.

Additional Information

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The protagonist's name is "Katie" so that is another crucial clue.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

EasternBronze posted:

I actually did spend a year in Japan, thankfully my family was still there when I got back!

This game looks really interesting, I love games where you have to discover the background of the story yourself. There's a real sense of mystery/unknown that intrigues me. Any idea what the release price will be?
Hopefully it's not $400 because I would pay basically anything for this game. They haven't announced a price at all.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
In today's episode of "encouraging headlines about this video game," Gone Home devs on player agency: “We all appreciate games that trust us as players.”

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
A 1up preview that is pretty positive.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It would be nice if most of them weren't horror games.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Steve Gaynor (lead developer of this) just got 5,000 twitter followers so he posted this screengrab of what he's working on:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
IGF awards are up, and Gone Home is a finalist in the Narrative category with Honorable Mentions for the Audio and Grand Prize categories.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Monaco won the IGF back in 2010. It's coming out this April.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I think there's just a lot of stuff.

Dear Esteban is not a Spanish mod for Dear Esther.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Latest dev blog about some family history one of the designers turned up while looking around her family's house for inspiration.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The game's artist working on some extremely '90s stuff:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
New screenshot up for Screenshot Saturday.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Blog entry on their input system.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Important development update

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Basement work in progress:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
"Great" is pushing it. They misidentify a note from your sister as a note from your brother and they seem to be trying to make the game sound like a horror game, despite the fact that the developers seem to be going for more of a sense of "unease if you want to feel it, comfort if you want to feel it" which is, according to the devs, the response they've gotten from playtesters. Here is a better preview.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
This is a very important video to watch if you are interested in this game, or if you aren't, or if you're unsure as to whether you are interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgJyRZ-W_ok

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
If Dear Esther is way out of your computer's league I'd be worried - Unity isn't a very demanding engine, but then again neither is Source. I'm sure they'll release system requirements at some point.

I haven't heard anything about a soundtrack, one way or another.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Amazing new update video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExKXPBHkwUY

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
In the latest instance of this game being 90s as gently caress:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqSbYsUalMQ&hd=1

The game will feature music from Heavens to Betsy and Bratmobile.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Polygon preview with a minor spoiler.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
GDC roundup news post. Worth a peek.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Interview with Steve Gaynor, one of the main developers.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I'd actually be kind of interested in seeing that. Everywhere on the Internet that I hang out, people seem to not want to talk about this much other than saying "I'm super excited" which makes sense I guess but it would be nice to see other people saying things. Even if they're horrifically stupid things.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Right now they're showing the game off at a riot grrl concert thing, and this happened:

quote:

Haha just caused a group of teen grrrls to shout "0451!!!" in unison. Mission accomplished.
Some pictures:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Environment comparison blog post with some neat screenshots.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Preview at The Guardian.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Will write something about it, but this is my short, spoiler-free reaction to the Gone Home demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHyMU7fWVwk

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Important video update from developer Steve Gaynor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m89mZJ2peIM

Also if a mod is reading this, could you change the thread title to Gone Home: My So Called Life + System Shock? That's my favorite summary of the game that I've heard so far.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
"As I played through the demo for Gone Home, an upcoming game by The Fullbright Company, I experienced something extraordinary. The game wasn't just allowing me to be someone else; it was illuminating parts of myself."

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Check out this video preview of the game! Because I sure as hell won't. I'm already sold and I don't want to go in spoiled.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Rock Paper Shotgun interview.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Steve Gaynor, one of the developers, just got a tattoo:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I have been slacking on posting updates. My apologies. Stuff since last time:

Sounds of a House, a really great update about recording all the little sounds that will be in the game. The person who helps them record the foley is named "Foley," hilariously, and they record it in an incredibly Portland store. Be sure to also observe the sound avocado.

Here is a behind the scenes featurette about recording the voiceover. Embedded:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKAy542slwU

Why we are not showing Gone Home at PAX, an article with a fairly self-explanatory title.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Two new images released:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

RatHat posted:

What's with the 0451 thing? From Googling I guess it's a code in Deus Ex?
If you're at all interested in this game it would probably be worth playing System Shock, System Shock 2, Deus Ex, and Dishonored, games firmly in the "0451" family because of their design and also because "451" or some variation of it is a code that pops up early in each of them.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
BigSushi.fm interviewed the Steve Gaynor, one of the devs.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The game is reaching completion. They will announce the release date in a week or two, then the game will come out soon after that. Until then:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Details on fan translations - they're a tiny team that can't translate the game themselves, so all the text is going to be in an open format so that if you speak another language you can translate the game. Klingon is supported.

• Locked thread