Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr_Wolf
Jun 18, 2013
Well i've played about an hour so far and it's got me hooked. I've always wanted to root around a house and this fetish has unfortunately been coupled with my fear of dark rooms. The atmosphere is as scary as i've experienced even though most of it is in my head - i swear i've seen a shadow dash past in the corner of my eye a few times.

Oh yeah gently caress you Tommy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr_Wolf
Jun 18, 2013

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I cried! Playthrough was only about two hours for me, though. No complaints - it was like watching a good movie. It's lingering with me so much that I want to play it again, but I'm a very thorough "pick up everything and poke at everything twice" in games like this and I can't help but feel like I didn't really miss anything, other than the safes. For the dad's, I tried 1963 and 1163 but neither of those codes worked. Anyone have a tip on that one?

I actually thought I was going to have a panic attack when I was approaching the attic at the end once I had the key. My heart was pounding and my hands started shaking and I had to literally save and step away from the game for a few minutes to collect myself. Endless admiration for that one - I really got THAT emotionally invested in the story and the characters.

One thing that I just don't understand - where ARE the parents while the gameplay is happening?

Oh man i know what you mean regarding the spoiler. I haven't felt that tense in a while and i'm not ashamed to say i ran to the light turned round and then slowly creeped round the corner. I was expecting something really horrible but was really, really blown away by the conclusion. Listening to Sam's last diary about Lonnie and looking at the pictures in the attic made me tear up.

Amazing game, go and get it.

Mr_Wolf
Jun 18, 2013

Rookersh posted:

So, serious question, with some spoilers.

I've only watched two or three videos on this, almost all promotional/the opening of the QL, and it almost felt spelled outright that the parents were abusive, maybe emotionally, maybe physically, and the sister likely had something to do with the disappearance, especially since you left her with them. Hell, the early stuff they did on GB felt like they almost said it outright.

I want to buy this to support these guys, and I want to play it, but I feel like I already figured out what happened, so what's the point. They put so much on the "oh yeah, abuse", stuff, that I can't imagine most of this stuff will phase me. Learning the secret stops being a journey when you know the ending, yeah? And even when I secondguess myself and think it might be something else, the ideas of what it could actually be don't really interest me much either.

So I guess what I'm asking is. Is it a clearcut thing. Do those undertones just lead straight to the ending, or is there much, much more there.

The story isn't about abuse at all. Don't know if you want the main story spoiled but it isn't about the parents at all - although they do have a minor story thread too.

Mr_Wolf
Jun 18, 2013

StoicFnord posted:

When i hit that part With the pentagram and the ghost stuff, and her saying she was sleepy and she would wait, i thought that she had perhaps attempted suicide, and i moved up to the atic as fast as i could, with trepidation.

It set up what followed as guaranteeing my tears.

Exactly what i was expecting. Seeing the note on the little sleeping bag made my mind up. So glad - and a little teary - about what actually transpired.

Mr_Wolf
Jun 18, 2013

Dreadwroth posted:

Wow this guy really gets it. Holy poo poo.

Wow, i had similar thoughts but they really nail it. What a fantastic game.

I'm now thinking the room where you find the toy horse and the light doesn't work anymore was maybe where the abuse happened? Maybe Terrence - or maybe even more chillingly Oscar - deliberately made the light stop working. Terrence later on, to keep whatever happened in that room in the dark forever. Leaving his childhood - and toy - behind.

Maybe Oscar did it to, well, i don't even want to say.

I might play through it again now.

Mr_Wolf fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 16, 2013

Mr_Wolf
Jun 18, 2013

Sylpher posted:

I guess it makes sense that it became that house that kids fear and make stories about based on very little. I still think the molestation is conjecture, but after thinking about it some more I don't think it matters. Knowing something bad happened between them is all that is necessary, specifics services nothing.

Any idea where else Uncle Harvey is mentioned? I must have completely missed it, I don't recall anything about Jeopardy.

When I got to the safe I just looked around for the nearest 4 digit number, saw the date for the height markings on the wall, and tried it. I was surprised it was that easy.

I remember a card wishing Sam a Happy 17th Birthday from him but that was it. I need to play this again because i think i missed a few things.

Mr_Wolf
Jun 18, 2013
So where now for The Fullbright company?

I'd be happy to play another similar game with a different story, maybe given the huge critical success of this and hopefully financially as well they could maybe broaden the idea to a whole area, maybe even a small street?

The idea of having a multitude of houses to rummage through is making me moist.

Mr_Wolf
Jun 18, 2013
http://lookrobot.co.uk/2013/08/19/gone-home-your-mothers-bookmark/

That link might have already been posted but it's an - obviously filled with spoilers - interesting take on the Mother's small story in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr_Wolf
Jun 18, 2013

CapnBiggles posted:

So I've had this game pretty much spoiled for me three times by people I know sperging about it unsolicited, mostly in a negative light about how it's not really a game blah blah blah, and I've been fairly diligent in trying to avoid anything. Is it still worth playing knowing the core of the narrative ending?

To be honest i'd say no. To have the strongest part of the game spoiled would take away from the experience for me. You'd probably still get some enjoyment because it is so skillfully told but i think - as already said by people earlier in the thread - the dread you have going up to the attic, not knowing what you will find is one of the best bits of the entire game.

• Locked thread