Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I somehow missed this thread and have been making GBS threads up the Steam thread with my musings and mutterings.

I've read back several pages, and learned lots that makes me want to play again.

I haven't noticed anyone mention though, (spoiler hinting at where to find something amusing) in the library, did you examine the box of Terry's books carefully?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Still haven't seen anyone mention dad's spank mag.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Calico Noose posted:

So i assume that all the VCR's were missing because Sam took them to sell for quick cash
I thought the first one was gone just because it was a loaner, and the one in Sam's room was actually just the cable for the neighbour kid's game console (even though it's not actually a SNES adapter :)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Relax. It's just a house.

(Yeah the atmosphere is thick, but don't worry about it.)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'm curious how old the people are who've never heard of riot grrrl music.

I'm a 31 year old guy, and while I was a touch young to listen to the scene when it was fresh, I loved 90s bands derived from the genre, like Veruca Salt, Breeders, Hole, Throwing Muses, and L7, though I guess they actually were riot grrrl though still popular in the later alternative crowd.

I discovered Bikini Kill a bit later when a buddy into punk pointed out how similar Rebel Girl was to I Am The Resurrection by the Stone Roses.

Rebel Girl vs. I Am The Resurrection

edit: anyone that's played San Andreas probably knows at least one L7 song... It's a hell of a lot slicker than any riot grrrl music a couple years earlier though.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 19, 2013

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Yeah, I didn't mind the price. And it'll inevitably get cheap if you're patient.

I frankly hate long padded games. I just don't have time for them. I almost never beat anything that takes more than 10 hours. A notable exception for me was The Witcher, which I spent a good 40-50 hours on.

(Conversely, games that are more gameplay-based rather than story, I'll play for hundreds of hours... Spelunky, Altitude, League of Legends, Civ V, XCOM, etc...)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I bought Dear Esther in a Steam sale a long while back but never installed it. Is it a similar experience to Gone Home?
It's its own style. It's a lot more pragmatic and open to interpretation. It's also only about 60-90 minutes.

I don't want to say too much because if you own it, you may as well give it a shot.

It's also completely different in style ... some absolutely stunning visuals.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Phylodox posted:

"Why does it take place in a flying racist city?!?"
I remember a lot of people extremely offended by the race stuff in Infinite.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Phylodox posted:

I'm glad I paid (almost) full price for this game because I like the idea of rewarding a game company for making a game that's not about a buff white dude saving the world by killing lots and lots of bad things.
Yep. I didn't initially like it as much as a lot of people here did, but I sure appreciate the company trying something different.

(I warmed up to it a lot more upon analysising stuff I missed afterwards.)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

I don't think you can keep leaning on unfamiliar settings and pre-internet time periods forever.
Nope, but I could probably stand another game or two as long as the settings and/or subject-matter are unique enough.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Another extremely shallow one is LA Noire. You examine objects much like Gone Home, but they're really not that meaningful, most are in fact completely irrelevant, and it's extremely tedious over a 20 hour game or however long it took.

(One thing LA Noire did better though is that you could examine objects "further" ... so you'd be able to take that drat cassette case insert out and actually examine the note properly. Or see what's in the binders.)

edit: "they're really not meaningful" doesn't explain it well. The right clue can make or break a case in the game. But the problem is it's not obvious more often than not where you're supposed to apply that clue into the narrative. When you accuse a suspect of lying during an interrogation, you have to pick from a list of clues you've uncovered to support the accusation, and that part is somehow completely unintuitive. There's stupid trial & error video-game logic to which particular clue is going to break the suspect.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 21, 2013

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I guess they just stuck out to me. There were definitely a few cases where it seemed for SURE whatever I picked was important, but NOPE, not exactly what the game was looking for. There were a few cases where it would accept multiple objects too. (I eventually gave up on interrogations and just used a guide for them. Literally the only time I've resorted to one in this entire generation of consoles.)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

It's the whole "IT'S NOT A GAME" thing. Just some arbitrary standard that's apparently really important to their identity and self-worth.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Haha, Doom 3 is such a perfect example of doing it so poorly. I thought Dead Space (1) was pretty great though: the logs mostly served to increase tension. Doom 3's sin was to put information required to proceed into the logs. But the voice acting was bored and unconvincing too. Haven't played the new Tomb Raider yet.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

VJeff posted:

The progression model is whack too. The way I understand it, all of Sam's letters to Katie (You) are read at once in the attic at the end of the game, and the game just sprinkles them in throughout when you interact with an associated object, like Katie is remembering finding those objects strewn through the house as she reads the letters. But the only way to get into the attic is to find the key in the secret passage, and the only way to learn of the secret passage is to like, find a note in the basement? Why didn't she just leave the letters in her room or the guest room for Katie to find? Did she not intend for Katie to actually find the journal, and was it just a "write a letter and don't send it" kind of thing, like the beginning sort of implied? In that case, why leave behind the journal with the letters in it at all, why not torch it or take it with you? Did Sam intentionally leave out some scavenger hunt for her sister and her parents thinking "heh by the time those suckers find their way to the passage next to the stairs, I'll be loooooong gone. :smug:" Obviously, that's a ridiculous notion within the context of the story. The obvious explanation is that Fullbright didn't expend the effort to create a realistic route from the entrance of the house to the attic with the letters in it, despite the game being pretty linear.
One of the earliest journal entries said something along the lines of, (very poorly paraphrased) "I used to tell Katie everything, but now that she's gone I'm just going to write into this journal as if I'm talking to her."

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

VJeff posted:

Your avatar makes me so very uncomfortable. :gonk:
Somewhat appropriately, it's a tribute to 90s alternative. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH_yivWallk

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

This thread is officially a minefield for people curious and considering buying.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

A lot of us stumbled in blind because, "oooh look, shiny new game on Steam!" (and the store page made it sound interesting) (and it was!)

I personally feel I enjoyed it better for that. I would have probably ignored it had I seen the dev stuff prior.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Is that ... Jazz the Jackrabbit music?

edit: guess you didn't like it then!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Shut up. Just shut up. Go call the Game Police if you have a complaint.
This was wonderful.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I posted some Bikini Kill stuff earlier in the thread, but for shits and giggles, a kitten, enjoy this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa1c6EU2bY0

I was completely obsessed with alternative rock from 89-94.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I would expect them to have ripped it off and not given a gently caress.

I uh ... somehow had no loving idea that Kathleen Hanna fronted both Bikini Kill and Le Tigre. I guess I didn't delve too deep because of the politics, but Le Tigre got me into electroclash. Still love early Ladytron, ADULT., Fischerspooner, and it sort of pushed me toward EBM/futurepop.

Some modern electroclash I think is pretty awesome if you're curious:

http://betafrontiers.com/album/ep

Personally I think the music chat belongs in this thread since it was such an important part of the background of the game.

edit: check out Spalding Rockwell too, but they're older and you'll probably have to get them on iTunes.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Sep 13, 2013

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

Myst's success came at the time CD-ROM gaming really began to take off as it was the perfect showcase app for the format. You did have the Roberta Williams types very publicly saying that Myst somehow represented "the death of adventure games" because you couldn't die unfairly or fail to finish if you missed clicking on the cat poop in the first 10 minutes of the game. There's no denying that Myst brought in a lot of people who normally would not play video games just to have something cool to show off on their new Packard Bell Axcel. I don't know if the same is true for Gone Home, but it does invite a lot of different discussion from sources other than who you're used to talking about games. I think it misses the point to say "well if Gone Home didn't do X then it would be nothing special," because it is, at least in terms of widespread reaction, pretty special. It's weird to imagine but I think there will be some Gone Home clones in the future.
Myst also had incredible computer art ... for the time. It looked insanely futuristic. Technically The 7th Guest was a much greater accomplishment with its detailed 3D-Studio 1 rendered house, and CD-ROM streaming video (holy gently caress you need a 2X speed drive to accomplish that poo poo!!), + FMV blue-screened actors, but it just wasn't quite as accessible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Don't know ... I figured out Myst eventually, but some 7th Guest puzzles really broke my mind for a long time. The only Ys for vowels one was pretty great. I felt it was a lot more varied and interesting. They both had pretty strong hint systems, but 7th Guest's was a little easier to access.

• Locked thread