Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
How much is this going to be? I can't find a price anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Five hours till release! :argh: I'm stuck at home with a toothache, and I want to spend it wandering around someone else's home, drat it!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

grmartin posted:

Just finished it. Holy loving poo poo. I think that's among the best games I've ever played. I'm going to play through it again right now.

Finished already? How long is this game? :psyduck:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Game does not let me watch a bootleg VHS copy of Dark Crystal. 4/10 :colbert:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I think my favorite part about this game was right at the beginning, when I found the combination to the father's locked file drawer. I rushed back and opened it expecting to find something dramatic or plot important...only to find important paperwork. You know, the sort of thing that would be in a normal person's locked file cabinet. Set the whole tone for the game, really. :v:

Still, that God drat light bulb going out gave me a heart attack.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Is there a way to open binders, or are they just for decoration?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
My only complaint about the game is that the Mom feels under developed. Sam is the center of the story. The Dad has the whole side plot with his book and past with his uncle. While the Mom had the maybe-affair and...that's it. While the daughter and father feel completely fleshed out I really don't feel like I've learned anything about the Mom beyond the affair and the fact that she has way too many hobbies.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Really I knew the game had sucked me in when I started turning out the lights when I left rooms without thinking about it until later

I closed all of the doors as I went. I might be obsessive about turning lights on, but I wasn't raised in a barn. :colbert:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Accordion Man posted:

This, really. Gone Home is the kind of game I've been wanting for a while now.

Seriously, I wish there were more games like this! Somewhere right between adventure games and visual novels.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

teethgrinder posted:

Nope, but I could probably stand another game or two as long as the settings and/or subject-matter are unique enough.

Make it a Myst-like world and I will buy it day one.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I've never played Dear Esther, but since it keeps coming up in this thread I'm curious now. Is it a horror game?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

_jink posted:

Sarah practically sobs her way though the last couple commentary nodes, that got totally intense @_@

Have any other non-valve games done commentary like this? It's really fascinating.

I'd kill for one for the Stanley Parable, even though they'd probably just use it to dick around with the player.

Speaking of which! I don't have a screenshot handy, but one of Sam and Lonnie's letters appears as an easter egg in the Stanley Parable. Games where you wander around trying to piece the story together got to stick together. :toot:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Wasn't there an article/blog post that explained the abuse sub-plot to this game? My brother recently beat it and somehow missed that entire sub-plot.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I think we should all just talk about the JAZZ mug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I've already spent over $60 just gifting this game to other people, but I might need to buy that physical copy version too :ohdear:

• Locked thread