Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
taking it tonight at 8, whoop!

My coworkers have been laughing about my level of horrible, useless trivia knowledge since I started. Like, they'll just ask me random poo poo and I know it for no reason whatsoever. Actual, useful information? no memory for it. Random rear end trivia? I rock it. But that's my whole family. We've banned trivial pursuit, scrabble and doubles solitaire from family gatherings because all three have led to violence.

I love jeopardy. my tuesday night TV schedule mirrors my grandmothers. News, Jeopardy, Wheel, NCIS. Like, when I was out of state having jeopardy on at 3 in the afternoon was just...weird, I'm used to it being a lead-in to prime time. I watch it every time I'm home to watch it, and love the poo poo out of it, though it does seem to be getting easier and easier each year.

and if I make it to the callbacks I will totally attempt to get one of my crazy stories of drunken tomfoolery as my anecdote. (something tells me the "throwing a full keg out of a third story window of a house on a hill some 40 feet to the parking lot below" will get vetoed by producers)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

HookShot posted:

Yeah, I'm doing Thursday at 10pm.

Also you forgot LITERARY QUESTION and AMERICAN LITERARY QUESTION

Heh, those are ones I would love, though. I figuratively salivate whenever there is a literary category on the board. Same with "Classic Cinema" or "Actors" and "Basketball" categories.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
The online tests always have the TOKEN REALLY EASY SCIENCE QUESTION.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
I hope to God it's all Literature and Opera. I'd actually PASS that.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm set if there are questions on Broadway musicals, video games and French viticulture.

My education is WORTHLESS :eng99:

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Literature, Basketball, Golden Age of Cinema, Greek Mythology, Science and Wordplay/Rhyme Time/Before and After.

My perfect lineup of categories.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Geography, French Revolution, Sherlock Homes, James Bond, Renaissance Art, Hockey

Basically my perfect lineup of categories.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Rhyme Time/Before and After, Science/Math, Pop Culture, Uhhh...more science and math? V:shobon:V

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
It still bothers me that I got 47/50 right last January when I took the test, didn't get a call, and I know of people who got audition calls with scores of 37 or 38. Taking it again tonight regardless!

The only categories that I have trouble with are the painting/sculpture ones, and I've done nothing to remedy my knowledge of them, trusting instead (correctly) that the answer will be Rodin nine times out of ten.

gobbles
Oct 15, 2005

Heres what Im an autistic about:
Anime, Blizzard Entertainment, Dr. Who, Battlestar Galactica, Internet Subculture, Food that is really plain

Heres how Trebeks producers can gently caress me over:
Sports, History, Science, Math, Literature, Art, Geography, Global Warming

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

It still bothers me that I got 47/50 right last January when I took the test, didn't get a call, and I know of people who got audition calls with scores of 37 or 38. Taking it again tonight regardless!

From what I heard part of what they look for are contestants that'll give others a fighting chance. They don't want someone who'll just run away with everything like Jennings did because its not as fun to watch.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
So what you're saying is if we want to make the show we'd have to dumb ourselves down a bit.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

AA is for Quitters posted:

From what I heard part of what they look for are contestants that'll give others a fighting chance. They don't want someone who'll just run away with everything like Jennings did because its not as fun to watch.

Jennings was incredibly compelling, though. I'm taking the test tomorrow. Central time zone whatuuuuuuuup

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Hey, test-taking buddies! :toot:

I have no idea what categories I'd like to see come up. That's probably a bad sign.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

AA is for Quitters posted:

Jennings made that show's popularity blow up, it opened up new demographics of viewers.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Wow, I haven't seen all three players that close to each other in a while.

And I thought it was either Carter or Ford for final. If I was on the show and had to guess, I would have said Ford, too.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
That was a hell of a game. Tough Final Jeopardy, too. I can't believe it, but I guessed Carter! I'm way more excited about that than I should be.

In retrospect, it makes sense. He looks like a walking corpse, but he's still alive. Modern medicine means people live a lot longer than they used to. It's been what, 33 years since he was president?

I could have beaten Ashok on that game!

Hell, I'd be happy to come in second place and get $2,000. Enough to pay for an MRI and the travel expenses.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 9, 2013

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Gah! Something's wrong with the site, can't log in! :supaburn:

It's just hanging up in the pop up after I clicked "Log In."

Edit: Ok, the log in page is up, but I can't log in...nothing happens when I click log in...time to try it in IE instead of Chrome.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

DrBouvenstein posted:

Gah! Something's wrong with the site, can't log in! :supaburn:

It's just hanging up in the pop up after I clicked "Log In."

Try a different browser.

e: I have a browser that is super protected with lots of add-ons and the like, and then another browser with nothing on it that saves every cookie, and the like.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Logged in and ready for a bruised ego!

Also drinking a Hopslam (10% ABV beer) that just came out today, this will definitely improve my performance.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Can we make a goon pact that if any of us get on air to not mention "stairs in your house" or otherwise embarrass ourselves?

edit: Chrome and Firefox both work.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Ok, for some reason, all I get in IE is a page saying "Please install Flash."

I have flash installed, it works fine in Chrome.

Time to try FF...

Edit: Ok good, FF is working...got the countdown going.

Though I remember one year everything looked fine, the countdown was counting down, and when it hit zero...nothing happened. The test never loaded for me. Hitting refresh then gave an error. I was pissed about that, because both the little "click this button to test if your browser will work" button worked, AND I logged in and was counting down, so something went wrong on their end.

Let's hope none of that happens tonight.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 9, 2013

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Guys it's ok Ken Jennings has us covered:

http://ken-jennings.com/blog/archives/4192 (more at link)

quote:

I know a lot of people are taking the contestant test for Jeopardy! online tonight. I know this because many of these eager young hopefuls have contacted me asking for tips.

Normally I wouldn’t be much help, but today, you’re in luck. I can’t really disclose how I obtained this, but I have a complete answer list for tonight’s test. Yup, all 40 answers. Well, questions. You know what I mean.

19. What is a slow, sensual massage, Alex…no, not there, lower? Ahhh, that’s it.
21. Who is YOUR MOM?!? high-five bro don’t leave me hanging
28. What is The Fifth Element? It’s “love,” right? I bet it’s love.
40. What is that, a conquistador helmet?

Easy as pie, right? See you on the show! Tell ‘em Ken sent ya.

God I love Ken Jennings.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

jscolon2.0 posted:

Can we make a goon pact that if any of us get on air to not mention "stairs in your house" or otherwise embarrass ourselves?

I wonder if there's a way to write my name that includes goatse..

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

FUUUUUCK. my internet poo poo out for 5 minutes and it wouldn't let me login. Goddammit. Told me I showed up too late to take the test.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

What the gently caress. I got about 20 questions in and it just poo poo the bed. Logging in again and it says I'm too late for the test.

:mad:

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
I finished it, I'm kicking myself over two or three questions but I think I got at least 40.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Test totally kicked my rear end. I maybe got 20-25 right out of 50. Didn't help that I froze up on the first three questions. Good luck all you non-EST people.

VVVV poo poo, named after the chicken dish. I should have known that one.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

I finished it, I'm kicking myself over two or three questions but I think I got at least 40.

I blanked on Kiev, which was pretty embarrassing.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

^ ^ ^ Same here...:( ^ ^ ^

Ugh, 40 is the best I did...there were ten I know I got wrong/skipped, and another 5 I was iffy about.

I can't believe I couldn't think of Cornell.

V V V Wait, it was?! gently caress...wait, how is it not both? Is plutonium not named after pluto? Wikipedia agrees with me:

quote:

Edwin McMillan had recently named the first transuranium element after the planet Neptune and suggested that element 94, being the next element in the series, be named for what was then considered the next planet, Pluto.
V V V

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 9, 2013

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I think I got around 40. I couldn't remember the name of the woman who wrote Brokeback Mountain, and I guessed plutonium when the answer was uranium.

EDIT: Didn't they say it was atomic element number 92? Uranium's 92, plutonium's 94. (I looked it up)

The Monkey Man fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 9, 2013

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Well, I managed to complete it at least. I thought I did pretty well on most, but then I blanked like a wuss on a state capital question.

I sure do know who hosts Project Runway, though! :pseudo:

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Stupid stupid Mandela!

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Ugh, somehow didn't remember Vivaldi.

e: Also, as a Canadian, no way I'm going to know what channel Real Housewives is on, even if I did watch it

Zeeman fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 9, 2013

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
I think I got 47-49 depending on a couple I wasn't sure about. Hopefully I can get another audition and then not be nervous/very sick like I was a couple years ago.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
drat guys, you're making me think I'd be lucky to get 25 of them. . .

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Parasol Prophet posted:

Well, I managed to complete it at least. I thought I did pretty well on most, but then I blanked like a wuss on a state capital question.

I sure do know who hosts Project Runway, though! :pseudo:

gently caress my :spergin: living. Got the little black dress one though

Zeeman posted:

Ugh, somehow didn't remember Vivaldi.

I blanked on that one. I picked Hyden for some reason

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.

Acolyte! posted:

I blanked on Kiev, which was pretty embarrassing.

Thank god my son was adopted from there :)

I saw Close Range, thought Cold Blood and opted for Truman Capote, ha!

And the only one I left blank was the Real Housewives one, my wife didn't know, I think that's grounds for divorce?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
I know I got Coco Chanel and Annie Proulx wrong. But I knew Hunger Games. See, I'm not totally hopeless on girl-stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Bob Loblaw posted:

And the only one I left blank was the Real Housewives one, my wife didn't know, I think that's grounds for divorce?

I changed my answer to the wrong channel!