Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Well, at least no smart rear end answer from Waldo tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Missed tonight's episode, but I take it that the Buzzy train still has no brakes?

Man, seriously the hatedom for him is getting crazy huge and continues to grow. Some troll dude in the peanut gallery on Jeopardy's Facebook page even wished he get Crohn's Disease or get T-boned by a car before the Teachers Tournament and Power Players Week aired... Like, that's very oddly specific.

Oh, and Vaughn Winchell (remember him from the last ToC?) called out Trebek a couple days ago phrasing the story about Buzzy's birth name during the contestant interview by asking him if he was "christened" that, I guess forgetting that Buzzy probably wasn't christened at all. And he wasn't, what with being Jewish and all. Most of us in the Jeopardy contestant group put it down to Alex being old grandpa Alex again.

Prompted Jennifer Morrow to create a Hitler Downfall video reaction to the hatedom on the Jeopardy Contestant's group, then edit it and have someone post it on YouTube and the Jeopardy reddit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfrSLqu1rBw. Though, I guess she did say it was a bit strange editing a Hitler meme when she's Jewish herself, but it still works. Really sums up my thoughts on the whole thing. Maggie Speak, who really is a saint, gets a shoutout, and someone linked her it in an email. So does Pam Mueller (who is actually really nice).

Also, apparently Andrew Pau (the music professor who was on a couple months ago, in case you forgot) got a letter to his college address from a convict (who apparently is serving a life sentence with no parole for a shooting at Case Western Reserve University in 2003, which would of course hit close to home for him, being a professor himself), asking for the addresses of other famous Jeopardy contestants and giving ideas on how to overhaul the current format of Jeopardy... I guess former champions (and other contestants that seem to attract the attention of the peanut gallery for whatever reason) get the weirdest sorts of fans with this kinda thing...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 26, 2016

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he wears lovely glasses to be fair.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Ken Jennings was/is on the ABC game show "500 Questions" tonight.

he got exactly one question right then proceeded to go out like a bitch

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

FadingChord posted:

I saw that. Did not expect it either, especially with how much they billed it in the commercials.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that girl looks way older than she must be if she was in fourth grade when ken was on jeopardy.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

GhostStalker posted:

I saw that. Did not expect it either, especially with how much they billed it in the commercials.

I think they tried to get him for the first season but couldn't make it work with his schedule, too, which means that it was like a year in the making.

Groovelord Neato posted:

that girl looks way older than she must be if she was in fourth grade when ken was on jeopardy.

Grad school does things to a person.

It changes them.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
And Buzzy is champion no more

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FadingChord posted:

Grad school does things to a person.

It changes them.

must be. i was in college when he was on jeopardy and i look younger than her.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Fix! Fix!

Two FJ categories that an English Professor would easily get in a row, I mean, c'mon!

:v:

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

FadingChord posted:

Wasn't Colby on Saturday?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
"Mode" :lol:

He was thinking of Edna Mode, the parody of Edith Head in The Incredibles.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
He was about one muscle spasm from vomiting after Final, so I think if he can get his nerves in order we should see at least one really strong performance out of him.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

haveblue posted:

"Mode" :lol:

He was thinking of Edna Mode, the parody of Edith Head in The Incredibles.

"Sperm" was funnier.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Ahhhhh some good old-fashioned category jumping to drive nerds crazy.

I got today's final since I knew the Oxford/Cambridge boat race was really old and it seemed to make sense.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I should have gone with rowing. I said fencing, because it was the first thing that popped in my head, and the one time I decide to stick with my first instinct instead of switching to rowing, which was my more logical thought, I was wrong.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Colonial Air Force posted:

"Sperm" was funnier.

That was just about another "What is a hoe?" moment. Honestly my first thought was the same, but I immediately realized it had to be "blood" given both the fact that it's Jeopardy and the 40s year in the answer.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I like the idea of Javelin as a team sport. Each player has one javelin, the teams face each other...

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

zakharov posted:

Ahhhhh some good old-fashioned category jumping to drive nerds crazy.

I got today's final since I knew the Oxford/Cambridge boat race was really old and it seemed to make sense.

That's how I figured it out too. Javelin as a medieval sport and not ancient Greek made me shake my head, and the fact that two people guessed it made my loudly go "WTF?"

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Wow those were two really wrong Final Jeopardy answers

wow

wow

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Madkal posted:

That's how I figured it out too. Javelin as a medieval sport and not ancient Greek made me shake my head, and the fact that two people guessed it made my loudly go "WTF?"

it was a terrible clue regardless.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Today my dvr somehow recorded a strange proto-jeopardy of sorts

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Bummer, I liked Kelly.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Lmao at the Navy pilot getting a whole category about military aircraft

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Intrepid is fantastic and everyone should go to it if they find themselves in NYC.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

haveblue posted:

The Intrepid is fantastic and everyone should go to it if they find themselves in NYC.

I've lived in NYC all my life and I'm ashamed to say I've never been there. Keep meaning to do so, especially around Fleet Week, but it never quite happens. Was sick the one time my elementary school class went there on a field trip too.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Kelly come back to me :(

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
How did baldy miss that fj

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jojoinnit posted:

Today my dvr somehow recorded a strange proto-jeopardy of sorts

1970s Double Dare. Jay Wolpert created it for Goodson/Todman while he worked as producer for The Price is Right.

Another connection to Jeopardy is that Jay also won the tournament of champions back in '69.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Soothing Vapors posted:

How did baldy miss that fj

My dad called me and said "your stunt double is on Jeopardy". I tuned in just in time to see him gently caress up the easiest final Jeopardy question in history. Very fitting.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

zakharov posted:

Lmao at the Navy pilot getting a whole category about military aircraft

And now a final jeopardy about the specific type of military aircraft he flies.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Bummer, I liked Kelly.
She would have won if the judges had (IMO) correctly scored "Kay's" as an incorrect answer

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Vulture Culture posted:

She would have won if the judges had (IMO) correctly scored "Kay's" as an incorrect answer

Some people said as much on the Jeopardy Facebook page, but it's too late for them to do anything about it now.

Stew had some pretty good luck with clues, especially that category on military aircraft at the Intrepid his first time around and then the Final clue yesterday, but I guess that's the luck of the draw. The Lieutenant's luck ran out today though. Oh well.

My mind couldn't move away from St. Louis for this final, even though I knew it was named after the French king, and it didn't go to the other state capital in the Midwest named after a saint until the answer was revealed.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS
Not gonna lie... I guessed Cincinnati too... Cincinnatus was the first name that popped in my head, and I completely forgot my state capitols.

Also, I don't know what a Zingbot is, but it sounds like Chucklebot from Achewood.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Man, so many clues left on the board during the Jeopardy round... Wanted to see the rest of the Japanese Cities category. Too bad for Anne, she never seemed to get going tonight, and it cost her.

Tripped up on Final as well, thought it was Collins too. Should've known better and gone for Armstrong like the champ did...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 12, 2016

Assless Chaps
May 7, 2007

*ding*
Clapping Larry
Oh hey, thread. Just wanted to say that I'm just about to drive from Chicago to Detroit to audition for the show today. I have followed the thread silently for a while and have done my homework on the audition process, so I feel like I'm well prepared. Here's hoping I don't choke and that I have a good time!

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
I'm glad that hicks from Chicago have the opportunity to audition in the intellectual capital of our nation, Detroit.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Assless Chaps posted:

Oh hey, thread. Just wanted to say that I'm just about to drive from Chicago to Detroit to audition for the show today. I have followed the thread silently for a while and have done my homework on the audition process, so I feel like I'm well prepared. Here's hoping I don't choke and that I have a good time!

Good luck! Remember the the audition itself is fun as hell. Maggie is a real treat.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

zakharov posted:

Good luck! Remember the the audition itself is fun as hell. Maggie is a real treat.

I never got to meet Maggie until I got to LA, and she was amazing at putting us all at ease. My audition was run by Glenn and Corinna, and they were cool enough, but Maggie really is the best.

Oh, and good luck in your audition!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assless Chaps
May 7, 2007

*ding*
Clapping Larry

GhostStalker posted:

I never got to meet Maggie until I got to LA, and she was amazing at putting us all at ease. My audition was run by Glenn and Corinna, and they were cool enough, but Maggie really is the best.

Oh, and good luck in your audition!

Thanks! Just got back from a 15-hour day and am totally pooped. It was a lot of fun, though! I think I did pretty well on the written test, decently well on the mock game, and really well on the interview. I had Glenn and Corinna, too, no Maggie. There were some real ... interesting ... folks there. And some super nice people who were awesome to chat with. Overall, it was a great experience and I'd do it again.

Now I wait 18 months!